Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Spielberg didn't care about whether a cliff is present in the same scene, he probably wasn't analyzing what a dinosaur may or may not have considered a threat display. The carnivores are monsters as far as the movie is concerned, the don't have to act like real animals and they can be deliberately cruel.

The thing is that the dinosaur in question is not deliberately cruel, it is a carnivore, a predator responding to a brightly colored intruder. Nedry's actions go between aggression, fear, and changing his size in terms of the hood. Not to mention we don't know how long the dinosaur was watching him, but nedry is clearly not someone who has studied dinosaurs, or probably any animal in general. Admittedly we know that these dinosaurs are not quote unquote real ones and they're just lab made to look a certain way so we don't understand their social interactions, but in general with predators, if you act weak and afraid, they see us prey. If you act more aggressive they might see you as a threat.

Nope had a lot of great scenes in regards to animal training. The chimp and alien are not something most of us will ever interact with, and not all of us are ever going to interact with horses, but more people will with horses than the other two. And while horse riding lessons usually involve the basics of don't stare into the horse's eyes, don't spook him from behind, be calm and confident in motion, a lot of people simply write it off as a dumb animal.

Honestly once nedry found the dinosaur, there probably wasn't a single way for him to escape that unscathed. But his actions definitely intensified the situation and made it a lot worse for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

When Timmy put on the nightvision goggle the Trex was watching and perceived him as having big googly woogly eyes, triggering its instinctive territoriality.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cowslips Warren posted:

The thing is that the dinosaur in question is not deliberately cruel, it is a carnivore, a predator responding to a brightly colored intruder. Nedry's actions go between aggression, fear, and changing his size in terms of the hood. Not to mention we don't know how long the dinosaur was watching him, but nedry is clearly not someone who has studied dinosaurs, or probably any animal in general. Admittedly we know that these dinosaurs are not quote unquote real ones and they're just lab made to look a certain way so we don't understand their social interactions, but in general with predators, if you act weak and afraid, they see us prey. If you act more aggressive they might see you as a threat.

Nope had a lot of great scenes in regards to animal training. The chimp and alien are not something most of us will ever interact with, and not all of us are ever going to interact with horses, but more people will with horses than the other two. And while horse riding lessons usually involve the basics of don't stare into the horse's eyes, don't spook him from behind, be calm and confident in motion, a lot of people simply write it off as a dumb animal.

Honestly once nedry found the dinosaur, there probably wasn't a single way for him to escape that unscathed. But his actions definitely intensified the situation and made it a lot worse for him.

Right, but this is a fictional movie and my point is the dinosaurs weren't written as if they were real life animals that would act like animals we're familiar with. Things are written to make a good scene or scare or getaway.

Not all movies are like that. Peele consulted with biologists to develop a logical set of behaviors for Jean Jacket in Nope, especially looking at behaviors of marine animals. Jurassic Park was a different approach because Spielberg is a different kind of director. Peele was deliberately looking at movies like JP and Jaws when he wrote Nope, and the similarities are definitely there but their approach to writing the creatures was very very different.

The shark in Jaws doesn't really behave like a shark, it behaves like an omniscient malevolent force, and that's how he wrote the carnivores in JP as well.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Lemony posted:

Oh man, I never noticed that and it is a fantastic detail.

There are a lot of fantastic moments in that show. My two favourites, neither of which is actually subtle, are the French agents not being able to understand the Quebecois FLQ guys and the CIA agents trying to explain to the French how they will be able to control JFK because of all the dirt they have on him. To paraphrase:

"He likes women and sleeps around a lot."

"Yes, and?"

"...That's not so good for a politician."

"Really? Why?"

I'm glad someone else has seen it. I've mentioned this to coworkers living in France and even they were unaware of this wonderful series. My favorite throwaway joke is during training for Algeria, the main character ignores the woman in a hijab and the agent stops the training to yell at him that "in the context of terrorism, women must be considered people!"

Another somewhat subtle, but later overt, joke is when the agent's tenants in Alger were all killed by Merlaux because he identified them as terrorists, the agent is on the phone talking to a new potential tenant, and he says something like "oh, four generals, ok!" later revealed to be the founding members of the OAS

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm watching the 1985 Teen Wolf & the scene just before Stiles gets Scott & Boof out of the closet he's talking to a couple (looks like they swapped clothes) about their challenge. The girl is handed a small empty salt shaker-sized container & is told to "test the guy's blood sugar."

I somehow never noticed the scene in general but now I realized she was asked to drink his piss as that's how people tested for diabetes in the day. :pisstape:

Points docked as Stiles asks if Scott is a fag in the garage before Scott reveals he's a werewolf.

By the same token, it's a look at how those times were - not giving them a pass for using a slur like that, but society in general was pretty different in what was "accepted" back then. I look at it the same way as when WB released the uncut Looney Tunes DVD sets where they included all the old racist/sexist/etc. caricatures - they didn't do it to be like "HA HA THIS IS HILARIOUS", they did it to show how lax people were & how relatively normal it was to think/feel that way during those periods; more pointing out "hey, this is hosed up, learn from past mistakes". Plus the whole thing plays into the awkwardness of Scott not knowing what's going on with himself, considering the whole movie is an allegory for going through puberty & big life changes (like Scott losing his mom).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Kids these days are taking it back and good for them, I hope it goes better than it did in the nineties when we tried it the first time, but I will never not have my stomach sink when I hear a kid on tiktok say human being, even when they're using it to refer to themselves with a big smile on their face

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

By the same token, it's a look at how those times were - not giving them a pass for using a slur like that, but society in general was pretty different in what was "accepted" back then. I look at it the same way as when WB released the uncut Looney Tunes DVD sets where they included all the old racist/sexist/etc. caricatures - they didn't do it to be like "HA HA THIS IS HILARIOUS", they did it to show how lax people were & how relatively normal it was to think/feel that way during those periods; more pointing out "hey, this is hosed up, learn from past mistakes". Plus the whole thing plays into the awkwardness of Scott not knowing what's going on with himself, considering the whole movie is an allegory for going through puberty & big life changes (like Scott losing his mom).

His dad ate his mom

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah but think about all the dads that aren’t willing to do that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

quaid gets forcibly redpilled in total recall

idk that its subtle but its a major wow for me

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Fun fact about the red pill, its literally just a tracking device

Neo makes his choice to "stay in wonderland" down on the street, when he's about to bail but decides to stay because of Trinity

Its not really subtle moment (Morpheus flat out says it) but I just thought it was funny when idiot conspiracy folks were telling me to "take the red pill instead of the COVID vaccine" because the vaccine has a tracker in it....

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Sep 24, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the rabbit hole ... !!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I recently watched Under Siege for the first time since I was probably like...12? 13? because of a recent We Hate Movies episode on it.

Overall, your standard early 90's Segal action flick; but one thing really stood out.

The fake band that gets hired, who are actually mercenaries, is called something like "Bad Billy and the Bailjumpers" and that is just a PERFECT name for a late 80's/early 90's blues rock band full of old white men who play 80% George Thorogood covers at dive bars and maybe opened for, like, Foreigner once when they came to the county fair.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

DrBouvenstein posted:

I recently watched Under Siege for the first time since I was probably like...12? 13? because of a recent We Hate Movies episode on it.

Overall, your standard early 90's Segal action flick; but one thing really stood out.

The fake band that gets hired, who are actually mercenaries, is called something like "Bad Billy and the Bailjumpers" and that is just a PERFECT name for a late 80's/early 90's blues rock band full of old white men who play 80% George Thorogood covers at dive bars and maybe opened for, like, Foreigner once when they came to the county fair.

Isn’t that Stephen king’s band?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Isn’t that Stephen king’s band?

Nah, his is the Rock Bottom Remainders.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
In Zootopia, Finnick has a van with some bitchin' art airbrushed on the side:

This is based on a famous painting of Popocatépetl and Iztaccíhuatl:

In this context though, it is probably a reference to the van they drove around in Cheech and Chong's Next Movie:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I watched The Batman last night on HBO Max. As a result, it recommended I watch Pennyworth: The Origin of Batman's Butler. I thought I'd give it a shot.
In the first episode Alfred goes to an estate in the country side.

I knew I'd seen that place before.

It was also Wayne Manor in Batman 89.

Sorry for the potato quality images. Screen capture software cockblocks streaming services.

This is probably a result of this estates proximity to Pinewood Studios, but it is still a cool connection.

deoju has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Oct 8, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

deoju posted:

I watched The Batman last night on HBO Max. As a result, it recommended I watch Pennyworth: The Origin of Batman's Butler. I thought I'd give it a shot.

Sorry for the potato quality images. Screen capture software cockblocks streaming services.

This is probably a result of this estates proximity to Pinewood Studios, but it is still a cool connection.

That's super neat!

I also want to call out the title, "Pennyworth: The origin of Batman's Butler" as sounding like a title of a fake movie that would be featured in Teen Titans Go.

And yet, it's real. Wow.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's super neat!

I also want to call out the title, "Pennyworth: The origin of Batman's Butler" as sounding like a title of a fake movie that would be featured in Teen Titans Go.

And yet, it's real. Wow.

It should be called 'Alfred'.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Alfred: A Movie About Batman's Butler, Who Is Named Alfred, And That's Why We Called The Show Alfred

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Mauser posted:

I'm glad someone else has seen it. I've mentioned this to coworkers living in France and even they were unaware of this wonderful series. My favorite throwaway joke is during training for Algeria, the main character ignores the woman in a hijab and the agent stops the training to yell at him that "in the context of terrorism, women must be considered people!"

Another somewhat subtle, but later overt, joke is when the agent's tenants in Alger were all killed by Merlaux because he identified them as terrorists, the agent is on the phone talking to a new potential tenant, and he says something like "oh, four generals, ok!" later revealed to be the founding members of the OAS

It definitely is one of those shows I like to recommend to people, or at least people who I think will gel with its idiosyncrasies.

The Quebecois jokes are particularly great, because the director clearly went to the effort of casting actual Quebecois actors to play those roles. So the language jokes between the two dialects are actually really accurate.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

deoju posted:

That's the Knebworth House in England!
For more detail on the different Wayne manors throughout film and television, here's an overly long video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJTu6FcDt1I

Suleman has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Oct 8, 2022

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

HopperUK posted:

It should be called 'Alfred'.

It should be called Batman's Batman

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

The Gray Ghost?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It was just called Pennyworth until they decided to baby it up for the 3rd season.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't bode well for the ratings. Though guessing it hasn't been the fun kind of spinoff prequel like Gotham that actually gives reasons for people to talk about it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Baron von Eevl posted:

Alfred: A Movie About Batman's Butler, Who Is Named Alfred, And That's Why We Called The Show Alfred

Jason Bourne: You Know His Name (It's Jason Bourne)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I just watched the Hellraiser remake on Hulu, and I appreciate that they incorporated the original theme. It's not as bombastic and just subtly fades in during key moments, but it's so good.

I still prefer the original because it's cheesy as hell, but this one is still excellent and has really good cinematography.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

The weird thing is that the show is apparently an alt-history sci-fi story, in which World War 2 ended in a stalemate, and Britain has turned into V for Vendetta. It is not even remotely in the same universe as any of the Batman stories.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SimonChris posted:

The weird thing is that the show is apparently an alt-history sci-fi story, in which World War 2 ended in a stalemate, and Britain has turned into V for Vendetta. It is not even remotely in the same universe as any of the Batman stories.

Sounds like they're borrowing a bit from the League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics where the UK went through a 1984 'Big Brother' period after the war and they had various Victorian-era characters doing cameo appearances

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Philippe posted:

Jason Bourne: You Know His Name (It's Jason Bourne)

Reminds me of the awful title for the recent Dahmer thing on Netflix: 'Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story'. You just know one exec wanted to call it Dahmer, one wanted to call it monster, and one wanted his full name incase people didn't know who he was, and no one gave a poo poo so they just put it all together.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

It was just called Pennyworth until they decided to baby it up for the 3rd season.

Ol, thank you; I barely paid attention to it, but I remember it existing with just that title, and then I saw that post with the super dumb title and was confused.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SimonChris posted:

Sounds like someone tried to pitch an alt-history sci-fi story and had to make it about Alfred to get it green lit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Annabel Pee posted:

Reminds me of the awful title for the recent Dahmer thing on Netflix: 'Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story'. You just know one exec wanted to call it Dahmer, one wanted to call it monster, and one wanted his full name incase people didn't know who he was, and no one gave a poo poo so they just put it all together.

And “Monster” is already the name of a fairly well known movie about a different serial killer!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Actually Dahmer was the name of the doctor, you're actually referring to Dahmer's Monster

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Piell posted:

Actually Dahmer was the name of the doctor, you're actually referring to Dahmer's Monster

Yeah, but that monster would traditionally be given the same family name and could therefore also go as "Dahmer".

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dahmer? Hardly knew 'er

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

none of these are subtle, im just tired of wearing em

- that episode of mr robot where theyre walking in the woods, they use a lot of lines from the sopranos episode where they walk in the woods

- the joker movie is a polished turd version of you were never really here

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Batman's Doorman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

And if they're doing a show about The Batman from Alfred's POV they should also call it Batman's Batman

E: in case people don't get the pronunciation joke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQy-8CNudkY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And if they're doing a show about The Batman from Alfred's POV they should also call it Batman's Batman

E: in case people don't get the pronunciation joke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQy-8CNudkY

I still don't get it. I understand that you're doing the really short, almost schwa sound on the 'man' part, making it sound like 'min', but does that mean anything? Sorry for asking for this joke to be utterly deconstructed :ohdear:

I JUST WANNA LAUGH, DAMMIT.