Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wafflecopper posted:

You can scroll the mouse wheel up or down to adjust your walking speed or hold middle mouse to sprint. I highly recommend rebinding that to something sensible

The scroll wheel didn't seem to do anything noticeable. I rebound pretty much all the keys, yeah. Sprint went to side mouse button. Inspect, dig, and attract crystals all went to ZXC. I imagine as I get more familiar with the game I'll find a reason to have the other radial menu actions bound as well.

I had a cool moment where while fighting a bunch of bandits we set a meadow on fire, which knocked over a tree, which smashed a crystal item cluster and gave me a ton of experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mithross posted:

Leveling up is a trap for the most part early on... but putting about ten levels into speed helps quite a bit with the slower classes without costing a ton.
even for the faster classes I am basically unwilling to play this game without sinking like 20 levels into movespeed

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Scroll wheel is more for when you want to walk quietly and sneak up on enemies, that little green meter on the bottom left shows how much noise you're making.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
in my experience you can walk right up to enemies and smack them at normal walkspeed just fine, and regardless I don't really know why it has a tarkov style walkspeed+noise meter instead of just a sneak button

megane
Jun 20, 2008

In fact, you can turn the walkspeed down so far it's actually counterproductive; the amount of time it takes to walk up to them outweighs the lack of noise, so you're more likely to be noticed than if you'd just walked at them at full speed

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I really like Hand of Fate 2 so much. It’s sort of roguelike adjacent I suppose.

I do wish I was better at the card shuffle mini game though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

I bought it at full price three days ago thanks to you all, what timing!

Ah, well, makes up for getting a great deal on Alina of the Arena, which is incredibly fun and oozes theme. Not sure how much I like ICoV so far but the potential for shenanigans like you're talking about is a big selling point for me, even if it's really frustratingly opaque initially.

Side note: speaking of mechanically complex games (though this one isn't as deeply or deliberately underdocumented) - Erannorth Chronicles, which I remember this thread being pretty positive on, is on sale for 65% off this week if anyone wanted to try it (it's me, I wanted to try it)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 20, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im gonna be honest

ICoV is kinda dogshit

e: combat immediately clicked after i posted

e2: the forest in on fire!! yes! haha!! yes!

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 20, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
and thats a dead bandit lord

this game would be much better if i was playing with a controller alas

lmao chopping a tree down it one swing and it crushing a guy

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 20, 2022

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

verbal enema posted:

im gonna be honest

ICoV is kinda dogshit

icov.txt :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

verbal enema posted:

im gonna be honest

ICoV is kinda dogshit

always nice to see the new player experience clearly and concisely communicated

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm close to the same boat but I genuinely do think the game should be somewhat faster. especially movespeed

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The menu is surprisingly buggy, I've given up on the idea that i might ever successfully rebind my controls.

Can someone clarify what is meant by leveling being a trap? Do you get to keep your experience if you dont spend it, or what?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

GlyphGryph posted:

The menu is surprisingly buggy, I've given up on the idea that i might ever successfully rebind my controls.

Can someone clarify what is meant by leveling being a trap? Do you get to keep your experience if you dont spend it, or what?

If you don't spend your XP on the character select screen you can instead spend it in Sanctuary before you leave. You are generally better off spending enough XP on your current run to make sure you go as far as you can, then when you die budget most of your held XP on your next run. Levels aren't bad, but they're the least efficient means of gaining strength and shouldn't be a priority (beyond a certain amount of speed, which makes things a lot smoother overall).

You lose any XP when you leave Sanctuary to start the run though, so don't try to keep it past that.

edit: I forgot you also occasionally find free levels, giant purple crystals. So even if you spend all your xp on stuff you will (even more very slowly) level up.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 20, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ICoV is technically a roguelite but is the closest to roguelike sensibilities than any other roguelite I've ever played in the genre. Comparable to Noita.

I have a suspicion that this game is absolutely, positively best enjoyed spoilerless so I'm going to make a conscious effort to preclude looking poo poo up.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 20, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have a suspicion that this game is absolutely, positively best enjoyed spoilerless so I'm going to make a conscious effort to preclude looking poo poo up.

v same

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SKULL.GIF posted:

ICoV is technically a roguelite but is the closest to roguelike sensibilities than any other roguelite I've ever played in the genre. Comparable to Noita.

the item description situation is A Hassle but it is a very funny gimmick and you'll unlock it faster than you think

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chinook posted:

I really like Hand of Fate 2 so much. It’s sort of roguelike adjacent I suppose.

Hand of Fate is so good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the item description situation is A Hassle but it is a very funny gimmick and you'll unlock it faster than you think

I like how there are some that are intentionally phrased in such a way that unlocking the first few words gives you a misleading impression of what it does. Quite a few of them are pretty easy to intuit though, it helps that whenever their effect triggers the item's icon will show up and flash in an appropriate location

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Side note: speaking of mechanically complex games (though this one isn't as deeply or deliberately underdocumented) - Erannorth Chronicles, which I remember this thread being pretty positive on, is on sale for 65% off this week if anyone wanted to try it (it's me, I wanted to try it)

The game wasn't lying about having lots of options.

It literally opens up with "which one of these 150 classes do you want to play?"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Erranorth definitely has a learning curve, but putting in the time does pay off, especially if you enjoy complex systems. I can't claim to understand a good chunk of it but it definitely isn't complex for complexities sake, I think the systems just take some time to learn but are pretty cool once you do.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab Sabbington posted:

That start is particularly fun, it's very flexible. If you've unlocked the Gem that gives you +Clarity based on how many empty slots you have, that's also a very strong way to start. Remember that if you toss that item in the Wishing Well you permanently gain the items stats in that moment. It's super common to roll an early Wishing Well and suddenly have 8-12 Clarity right away. The bonus healing from that helps a lot imo

Whoa

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Chinook posted:

HoF2 was definitely a huge improvement over the original. The combat's smoother, and the card interactions are more varied and fun. I do miss some of the harder enemy encounters from the original though. There's really no boss-level enemies till the very end.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wow the sewer level in ICOV is really not a good time huh

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

and attract crystals all went to ZXC.

wait hang on now

what

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wait hang on now

what

Press your hotkey for radial menu and look at the bottom or one-counterclockwise from bottom ability. You can burn stamina to pull all nearby XP crystals to you.

Wish it also pulled crafting materials, but eh.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah you can absorb all nearby loose experience in exchange for tiring yourself out a bit. It's in the little radial menu that lets you dig and drop items and stuff.

Wafflecopper posted:

Wow the sewer level in ICOV is really not a good time huh

Yeah that place loving sucks. Sometimes you walk around three corners and find the exit no problem, sometimes you spend 5 minutes slogging around in a poison maze while legions of assholes try to beat you to death. It's kind of a tradeoff - entering the sewer bypasses the boss fight entirely, so in a way, it can kinda be thought of as an alternative, objectively more difficult and frustrating boss fight

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 20, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah that place loving sucks. Sometimes you walk around three corners and find the exit no problem, sometimes you spend 5 minutes slogging around in a poison maze while legions of assholes try to beat you to death. It's kind of a tradeoff - entering the sewer bypasses the boss fight entirely, so in a way, it can kinda be thought of as an alternative, objectively more difficult and frustrating boss fight

I'm wondering if you can burn the poison clouds off if you have a source of fire.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

Kvlt! posted:

Erranorth definitely has a learning curve, but putting in the time does pay off, especially if you enjoy complex systems. I can't claim to understand a good chunk of it but it definitely isn't complex for complexities sake, I think the systems just take some time to learn but are pretty cool once you do.

I picked it up since I've wasted $7 on way more arbitrary things and have been trying to do a basic run and feel like I am missing something essential because I can get through 1, maybe 2 battles in the literal level 1 area and am either being steamrolled by the elves in a single turn or just not having any way to heal myself more than 4 hp at a time and losing through attrition. Even with defend, it seems like enemies are chewing through it without issue.

Trying my luck with different premades to get a handle on things but not having much luck with them yet so far either.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Wayback posted:

I picked it up since I've wasted $7 on way more arbitrary things and have been trying to do a basic run and feel like I am missing something essential because I can get through 1, maybe 2 battles in the literal level 1 area and am either being steamrolled by the elves in a single turn or just not having any way to heal myself more than 4 hp at a time and losing through attrition. Even with defend, it seems like enemies are chewing through it without issue.

Trying my luck with different premades to get a handle on things but not having much luck with them yet so far either.

Start out on easy. You can build up bonus starting points that way, which makes things more possible without being a demigod of the cards.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
ICoV on PlayStation: why am I not getting any entries under some tabs in my journal? Only bestiary, mementos and magic show anything.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

ICoV on PlayStation: why am I not getting any entries under some tabs in my journal? Only bestiary, mementos and magic show anything.

Not sure why weapons wouldn't show anything but you might not have found anything that goes on the equipment tab? They're relatively rare.

Speaking of equipment though, Skull Lantern. Holy poo poo, this thing is OP

Effect: It makes your weapon go through walls and enemies without penalty

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Not sure why weapons wouldn't show anything but you might not have found anything that goes on the equipment tab? They're relatively rare.

Speaking of equipment though, Skull Lantern. Holy poo poo, this thing is OP

Effect: It makes your weapon go through walls and enemies without penalty

I think the weapons you spawn with don't count too, so you have to like equip a pitchfork you find in-game to get it to count, the one you start with won't progress the entry

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I can't speak to the PC experience but ICoV is definitely a bit buggy on console. I've had a few freezes and the weapon racks at the Sanctuary straight up don't do anything lmao

e: still can't put the game down though, just got my first loop win the other night. Skull Lantern is indeed OP as gently caress, I was absolutely massacring everything with it and a crystal greatsword. Finished out the run with 174% violence, which is probably due to making a ton of offerings to Thousandfold and getting turned into the Monster

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 20, 2022

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Eh might just stick with the PC version of ICoV then even though I have it on PS too (and PS is easier for me to boot up).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ICoV: It seems like sometimes it's actually better to get hit when your stamina bottoms out, as it gives you a full restore once you exit stun. Much faster than waiting for your stamina to regenerate.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

What do people tend to get in the hub in ICoV? People keep saying to save your XP for per-run bonuses, but I don't see much to spend XP on before it gets wiped by doing my first mirror

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You can buy up rocks/wood/metal/glass and offer them to the god who wants them, or offer experience directly to Free or the healing goddess. You can also consult the little wooden sign by the shop area - it tells you what the next shop will buy. Dump spare xp into that resource and sell it all off at the level 1 store. Sometimes you'll get lucky and the exchange rate will be loving insane; nothing starts a run off right like buying like 60 rocks at 1xp each and selling them for 3 or 4.

If all else fails, buy metal. Having extra metal on hand makes it a lot easier to buy a good weapon when you see one in a store, or to upgrade your weapon if you happen across a grindstone. This applies to the grindstone in the Sanctuary too; if your xp budget allows for it, grabbing up the requisite materials and buying an upgrade or two for your starting weapon can give you a big boost in the early game.

SKULL.GIF posted:

ICoV: It seems like sometimes it's actually better to get hit when your stamina bottoms out, as it gives you a full restore once you exit stun. Much faster than waiting for your stamina to regenerate.

This is true of some enemies, yeah. It'll get you absolutely murdered against big groups or fast, aggressive multi-attack dudes though (bandits with the spiked cudgel are insanely annoying for this), since you'll eat a bunch of unavoidable hits before the stun wears off.

e: certain enemies are also viciously opportunistic about capitalizing on stuns, as well. The Bandit Lord is particularly dangerous in this way; if you get stunned and he's not already committed to an attack, he might try to mow you down by rapid-firing arrows at you. Enemies that parry or shield-block will also immediately lunge at you if they see you eat a stun.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 20, 2022

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

Post poste posted:

Start out on easy. You can build up bonus starting points that way, which makes things more possible without being a demigod of the cards.

Thanks, will give that a try, though I wish the equivalent of the normal difficulty was a bit more even. Actually did decent with a premade pyromancer and made it to the boss of the 1st area which then destroyed me through adds and poison. I want to like this game because it seems like it has some cool complexity, but man is it giving me second thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

All this chatter has convinced me to try ICoV on PlayStation. Downloading now...