Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Only good Star Wars game remains Force Unleashed

You're ignoring the Lego ones for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

acksplode posted:

Guns feel so extraneous that I have a serious hunch it was the original idea. Then maybe marketing got wind of it and was like uh ok but how are we gonna put a guy holding a gun on the cover.

I really liked the Mirror's Edge approach to guns, which was that you could pick up guns the enemies dropped but you'd only get a few shots and if you got into a fire fight, you were probably already dead. It made sense because the idea behind the game was that you were always moving fast and the protag wasn't a killer.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I might try playing inscryption again tomorrow but the thought of playing against the prospector again for the third time is not inspiring me much at all.

My brain just refuses to get on with roguelikes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

I might try playing inscryption again tomorrow but the thought of playing against the prospector again for the third time is not inspiring me much at all.

My brain just refuses to get on with roguelikes

It's not a roguelike, it's just a card game dude

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bloodychill posted:

I really liked the Mirror's Edge approach to guns, which was that you could pick up guns the enemies dropped but you'd only get a few shots and if you got into a fire fight, you were probably already dead. It made sense because the idea behind the game was that you were always moving fast and the protag wasn't a killer.

I didn't mind there being guns in the original game since there must've been pressure from above to include them, but I appreciate Catalyst a lot more for just ditching them entirely.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

RareAcumen posted:

You're ignoring the Lego ones for some reason.

They own

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

???? The x-wing/tie fighter games from the 90s exist, so uh, no

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

last night i had nightmares of intimidating stellar bodies moving rapidly towards me in the dark, and i'm not talking about korean bayonetta

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's not a roguelike, it's just a card game dude

Yeah but I already beat the guy once having to beat him again and again is just tedious

Like I'll be straight up and say *in Casnorf voice* this is a me problem, but it's one I really struggle to overcome.

Actually hold on a sec, cuz one of my all time favourite games of all time, Mission Thunderbolt, is a roguelike. It's nearly impossible to beat, even when cheating, but that's not the point of it, every run is so randomised and different, there are no scripted events, the whole game is just go out and explore and see what cool poo poo you can find a mess about with.

Very early inscryption stuff:

I can see theres some cool meta stuff going on with inscryption but the gameplay is too repetitive for me, sure theres some randomisation and theres been new mechanics added each run but the scripted boss fights just make each run feel identical as the last one, and there feels like theres an ending to the game, some overarching mystery to discover but the game's tedium is getting in the way of me reaching it. Idk but I havent found it compelling enough to bring me back around to it.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hate Jedi Fallen Order as a souls-like.

Why can you break a stormtrooper's posture, do an execution and impale them on a lightsaber, and they still survive? [on normal difficulty]

Why are the stormtroopers working together with wild animals to set up ambushes against you?

Why are you loving surfing around every level on Uncharted slides

Yeah the game was fun enough, but I couldn’t shake that the light saber felt like a big club. And I’d forgotten how awful the surfing mechanics were. Sometimes a jump was easy, sometimes it was impossible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I can see theres some cool meta stuff going on with inscryption but the gameplay is too repetitive for me, sure theres some randomisation and theres been new mechanics added each run but the scripted boss fights just make each run feel identical as the last one, and there feels like theres an ending to the game, some overarching mystery to discover but the game's tedium is getting in the way of me reaching it. Idk but I havent found it compelling enough to bring me back around to it.

They might feel tedius if you're playing the boss the same way each time (ie relying on your items too much), in my experience that would eventually lead to loss in the end. From what I found the real key was finding a way to conserve resources on the early bosses so I still had some gas in the tank for what came next. Mind you, you're still in the part of the game where you're learning mechanics that are essential later on. Angler and Trapper are the Genichiro skill-checks of Inscryption. Anyways, good luck to ya!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Episode 1 Racer :colbert:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Jedi fallen order is a horrible videogame given thousands of free kicks for being 1p star wars

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Fallen Order was one of the quickest "down to $7 on sale" games I'd seen in a while. Still too pricey.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

fridge corn posted:

Yeah but I already beat the guy once having to beat him again and again is just tedious

Like I'll be straight up and say *in Casnorf voice* this is a me problem, but it's one I really struggle to overcome.

Actually hold on a sec, cuz one of my all time favourite games of all time, Mission Thunderbolt, is a roguelike. It's nearly impossible to beat, even when cheating, but that's not the point of it, every run is so randomised and different, there are no scripted events, the whole game is just go out and explore and see what cool poo poo you can find a mess about with.

Embrace death. It's more important at this point in the game to die and get an opportunity to create a good death card. You're guaranteed to beat the prospector after you create a few good death cards to rely upon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I tried to give it a fair once over, so I booted it up again. I couldn't be bothered finishing the uncharted climbing intro poo poo because somehow I forgot that most of the game is insanely boring navigation. When I tried to do the combat arena instead it loaded the level but disabled the in-game menus and the ps5 menu despite being able to run around the empty arena lol

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight baybeeeee! Also Rogue Squadron/Leader blew me away.

I got grounded from video games as a kid for screaming at the gladiator droid boss in level 9 of Shadows of the Empire when it killed me with a few hits left in its third phase and I’LL NEVER FORGET WHAT BULLSHIT IT WAS I SHOULD HAVE HAD THAT KILL gently caress AAAAAAAAAGHGHGH

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought Sakura Wars last night on PSN because it was $15.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fifteen of Many posted:

Shadows of the Empire
I was actually playing this over the weekend for nostalgia's sake and you know what it owns. If we have to pick one good star wars game, that's mine. Visuals and controls don't really hold up but it's easy to see how it was incredible back in 1996.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Star Wars games I like:
Dark Forces
Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
Shadows of the Empire
Battlefront 2 (2005)
Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
the Old Republic
Pod Racer
Squadron
Rogue Squadron 2
Galaxies

I really want an open world sandbox crafting/building Star Wars game, and I am very surprised a game like this doesn't exist yet or even that one is in development.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I remember Shadow of the Empire most for its insane debug menu you could activate by naming the file something like WOMPA_STOMPA and then doing a button combination that was so complex you either needed to use like your chin to complete it or ask for help.

It was fun to mess around with but you could easily crash the game with it.

Also the game itself was pretty good at the time, yeah.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

acksplode posted:

The club is about to ruin your day lol. If you're like me, Sekiro parry muscle memory carried you through stage 1, and you're about to enter the trough of gitting gud with the avoid mechanic.

Club was harder, but I got through it now. The avoid mechanic is good is boss fights but sucks rear end when you are surrounded by 1-3 mooks. Onto level 3!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bows1 posted:

Club was harder, but I got through it now. The avoid mechanic is good is boss fights but sucks rear end when you are surrounded by 1-3 mooks. Onto level 3!

It's honestly just as effective against mobs, especially mobs of enemies that you can't posture break with a single parry. And you can spam it a bit and get out of hairy situations where you can't keep track of all the attacks coming at you. Useful against weapons too, just wait until you avoid the swing of a mook's bat and it flies into another mook's face :allears:

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Vikar Jerome posted:

the hacker is supposedly a 16 year old kid from the uk who also hacked, along with their group, Okta, Samsung, Nvidia, Microsoft, Ubisoft and now Uber and Rockstar and who already got arrested last year and given a 1 month internet suspension. lololol lmao

Is he a hacktivist?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Noob Saibot posted:

Is he a hacktivist?

He ends up shutting down a black hat thief so I guess?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
But only after he went to the school swimming party at the pool on the roof.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

last night i had nightmares of intimidating stellar bodies moving rapidly towards me in the dark, and i'm not talking about korean bayonetta

What have you learned about the nomai and everything else so far

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

fridge corn posted:

I sometime phrase that sort of experience as being "topographically similar." Yeah, sure, a donut and a coffee mug are topographically similar but the shapes are basically always gonna be the same even if they're in slightly different places -- it's why I don't much care for Breath of the Wild and why most roguelites really fall on their face when it comes to understanding why rogue is such a seminal influence. A good roguelike understands that the pieces still have to come together to form an emergent narrative or vary up the gameplay per session and if that doesn't happen all you can see is the seams.

Personally, I really like Dead Cells for having the same basic shape but the texture, the actual moment to moment gameplay, varies wildly by which items you find. Gungeon does a pretty decent job there, too. I hear Isaac is good for that but I'll never know because I don't like looking at it and that's more than enough to not play something, hahaha.

Much as I love Returnal, its roguelike aspects aren't super compelling. The weapons tend toward homogeneity over time and the rooms have no strong narrative structure beyond the very most basic of visual themes. I don't think it'd work as a more straightforward framework, but I'm not really super sure how to approach the integration of procedural elements without spilling directly into roguelike terminology. It's...some secret third thing, hahaha.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A strong roguelike nose, hints of metroidvania and brawler, with a subtle deckbuilding finish

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
er gently caress i meant to make jokes
when trochees and iams elope
thinkin' bout games
don't get me no fame
so we're gonna lean hard on these tropes

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I think I would like Returnal more it kept the graphics, atmosphere, sci fi , sound design and haptic controls but was just like, a third person sci fi dead space 1esque game

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SilkyP posted:

I think I would like Returnal more it kept the graphics, atmosphere, sci fi , sound design and haptic controls but was just like, a third person sci fi dead space 1esque game
:same:

The roguelike part really wasn't for me when I played it. I had a feeling it wouldn't be for me going into it, but I wanted to give it a shot anyway because everything I'd heard about it sounded so well done, and it was, just yeah, not my kind of game.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Casnorf posted:

Much as I love Returnal, its roguelike aspects aren't super compelling. The weapons tend toward homogeneity over time and the rooms have no strong narrative structure beyond the very most basic of visual themes. I don't think it'd work as a more straightforward framework, but I'm not really super sure how to approach the integration of procedural elements without spilling directly into roguelike terminology. It's...some secret third thing, hahaha.

Agree. You don't really ever get a synergistic build by methodically making the right choices over a run. Returnal succeeds based solely on it's atmosphere and absolutely fantastic combat. It honestly would've been better if it had emulated Hades' flow where you just pick your weapon at the start of a run.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 20, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Returnal doesn’t really have builds in the normal sense. 90% of your build is your gun, which is totally random. The rest is just window dressing, unless you pick up the one thing that enables one other play style (get health for kills instead of pickups) or if you accidentally get a really bad malfunction and then your run is just hosed if you can’t immediately get rid of it

It makes up for this by letting your thumbskill determine your success to a greater degree than most other roguelikes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i am being crushed by mo games

outer wilds tonight
hardspace tomorrow
prodeus on friday
valkyrie profile in 9 days

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bop bop perano posted:

What have you learned about the nomai and everything else so far

i learned that they are crazy motherfuckers to be building a city where they did, good god the zoning violations alone :stonklol:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

i am being crushed by mo games

outer wilds tonight
hardspace tomorrow
prodeus on friday
valkyrie profile in 9 days

Wtf Prodeus looks amazing. I had no clue that was a thing!

Hardspace sounds great too. I was also not aware of that one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Wtf Prodeus looks amazing. I had no clue that was a thing!

It's been early access since 2020 but they just revealed the 1.0 release date over the weekend

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nice I didn't know Prodeus had a console release date. I've been playing it on PC and it kicks so much rear end, gameplay is good and the aesthetic is perfect. What blew my mind is that it uses sprites for all the enemies doom-style, except they're rendered in realtime from 3D models after first applying lighting effects and wound deformations. So like you're fighting 2D sprites with 8 fixed viewing angles, but they're accurately lit by the environment and you can shoot their limbs off. It's so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Given all veeg has said about Quake I’m pretty sure Prodeus would be exactly his jam