Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PageMaster posted:

Are there any "always do this first," things to know about the deck? I'm thinking similar to on the PC side where there's things like bios settings to make sure are enabled for performance, certain programs that are installed, undervolting for performance and heat, etc.

Might be best to just play with it a bit and see what annoys you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just paid for my Steam Deck! Can't wait!

I'm in Canada, anyone know when I should expect to get it?

So excited!

I bought mine on Aug 1, and got a "about to ship" notification on Aug 8 when they gave it to FedEx, and it was in my hands in Toronto on Aug 10.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Grand Fromage posted:

Not really. If you want to increase battery life you can turn on the FPS limiter, 40 is the recommendation I saw. For each game you can also alter the wattage of it. Turn on the FPS counter, start cranking down the power until the FPS starts dropping, then leave it there to run it with as little as possible. You can't do much with that for modern games but I can get like six hours of battery life playing old stuff that runs fine at the minimum power.

When I set a TDP limit, it always goes slow as poo poo, even with it at the max. Is there a way to go above (I think it was) 15?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

15W is the actual TDP of the APU, you can't go above that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a recommended screen protector and m.2 card? I ordered a 64 and it looks like my wait is going to be pretty short. I'm at 87% after 5 days which seems fast.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been going naked on my 512GB but I'm a big fan of AmFilm protectors. Cheap, good quality, and come several to a pack.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a recommended screen protector and m.2 card? I ordered a 64 and it looks like my wait is going to be pretty short. I'm at 87% after 5 days which seems fast.

I use amFilm glass screen protector since I use their Switch one and it's just as good. M.2, you have a selection like getting part pulls from eBay (insist on finding one with low usage, some listings do mention it. Makers to look at include Western Digital, Kioxia, and Kingston or if you have a Micro Center near you, it appears they're selling Inland branded ones. Key thing is to verify it is single sided so there's no clearance issues with the underlying wifi card. Look for 2230, that part is important as that is the physical size of the card.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just felt compelled to sniff the vent. What has this thread done to me?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I use amFilm glass screen protector since I use their Switch one and it's just as good. M.2, you have a selection like getting part pulls from eBay (insist on finding one with low usage, some listings do mention it. Makers to look at include Western Digital, Kioxia, and Kingston or if you have a Micro Center near you, it appears they're selling Inland branded ones. Key thing is to verify it is single sided so there's no clearance issues with the underlying wifi card. Look for 2230, that part is important as that is the physical size of the card.

I was leaning towards amfilm, too because of the Switch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115504274486

That seems like a good deal. Easyish way to save $200.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I just felt compelled to sniff the vent. What has this thread done to me?

Made you a better gamer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

jokes posted:

When I set a TDP limit, it always goes slow as poo poo, even with it at the max. Is there a way to go above (I think it was) 15?

15 is the maximum power the deck can do. I have never noticed what you're describing, I have most of my games running at lower wattage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just picked up the 1TB drive from MicroCenter. I think this will be like the 4th time I set up this thing from scratch with dual boot lmao.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Can place my order today, but I’m going on vacation next Monday, and I don’t know if I want to roll the dice on it getting to Toronto before I leave for the airport.

I guess the best move is to just ship it to a friend and not have to worry about it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Waltzing Along posted:

Kingston is the OEM for the 512gb ssd at least. I grabbed one of the $5X ones from eBay and have been good so far.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just picked up the 1TB drive from MicroCenter. I think this will be like the 4th time I set up this thing from scratch with dual boot lmao.

Dual boot? Windows?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Waltzing Along posted:

Dual boot? Windows?

Yeah, 95

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fedex is toying with me. First it was supposed to arrive on Friday. Then yesterday it said Tuesday. And now it says Wednesday. I'll be getting it earlier than expected either way.

How's RDR2 on Deck? I was replaying it earlier this year on Xbox Series X but my save file hosed itself when I brought my Xbox over to a friend's when housesitting. Kinda thinking about buying the PC version it if it plays well enough on Deck.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

PageMaster posted:

Are there any "always do this first," things to know about the deck?
If you need a mouse cursor to click something in a game, hold the Steam button while moving the trackpad. If you need a keyboard to type something, press Steam+X.

The only other thing I'd really say is that if you're playing a FPS, make sure to use a controller configuration that includes "mouse trackpad". Most games default to "joystick trackpad", even the official configurations, but the mouse trackpad is much, much better if the game supports it. Or enable gyro controls if you're into that.

Eventually you'll want to figure out the Performance overlay to set the frame limiter if you need to fix frame pacing or improve battery life, but that's not really a day-one thing. Get comfy first.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

Can place my order today, but I’m going on vacation next Monday, and I don’t know if I want to roll the dice on it getting to Toronto before I leave for the airport.

I guess the best move is to just ship it to a friend and not have to worry about it.

I shipped mine to my office. I have a mail room etc, so we get 100's of mail a day. I knew it'd be safe.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

wow I reserved for the 256 in July (US) and I got the email today to buy. Must be churning them out

skeezx
Sep 15, 2022

Barreft posted:

wow I reserved for the 256 in July (US) and I got the email today to buy. Must be churning them out

is pretty impressive. i waited a day to pre-order last year after the announcement i honestly expected to get it around now, maybe late as november

then something happened around June (when i got mine) and it was like "what supply chain crisis?"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PageMaster posted:

Are there any "always do this first," things to know about the deck? I'm thinking similar to on the PC side where there's things like bios settings to make sure are enabled for performance, certain programs that are installed, undervolting for performance and heat, etc.

Buy Vampire Survivors.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sigher posted:

Buy Vampire Survivors.

It is so loving good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m playing Cyberpunk thanks to that other goon’s setting suggestions, and holy poo poo am I bad at aiming with a controller. I need a training regimen or something.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

sigher posted:

Buy Vampire Survivors.

This is no kidding why I originally put in my reservation after putting 58 hours on it on PC and deciding how awesome it would be to just keep playing it in bed.

Outside of that, I now envision spending an obscene amount of time side questing and farming in GOW2, Disney dreamlight valley (for my kid), and grinding in Persona 5 without being stuck to the PC for the mainline questing.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 20, 2022

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Subjunctive posted:

I’m playing Cyberpunk thanks to that other goon’s setting suggestions, and holy poo poo am I bad at aiming with a controller. I need a training regimen or something.

:pcgaming: ENABLE THE GYRO :pcgaming:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Hmm, that might work better than flipping between the right stick and the right trackpad. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sigher posted:

Buy Vampire Survivors.

FYI if you try anything cheeky/endgame in this game it will absolutely annihilate the Deck. I'm talking single digit frames and massive, massive, massive lag.

Quick casual runs with basic weapon? Go nuts. Gold farming? Save that for an actual computer.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Subjunctive posted:

Cyberpunk has a pretty nice aim assist for snapping to targets in the settings. It also has some settings I turned off on the PS5 to make it feel better to me.

You need to go under advanced control options and zero out all the "bonus" and "delay" options for turning and the like. This made movement, gunplay and driving feel SIGNIFICANTLY better for me, but YMMV.

Also I turned off basically every effect, chromatic aberration, film grain, motion blur... but that was 4K OLED 60fps, another user said motion blur was nice to cover up for the lower frame rates on the deck. Also apparently those effects are more immersive if you consider that your eyes are not organic in-game so the lens effects do make sense to leave on if you consider it that way

... :goonsay:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 20, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I keep trying to FPS on a controller and I just can't hit anything. It's not precise enough. Need my mouse.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

FYI if you try anything cheeky/endgame in this game it will absolutely annihilate the Deck. I'm talking single digit frames and massive, massive, massive lag.

Quick casual runs with basic weapon? Go nuts. Gold farming? Save that for an actual computer.

I'm not quite sure how far it goes but I feel like I unlocked a fair bit of content (most of the unlocks, and what really felt like a final boss battle) on the Deck without any configuration changes (maybe 40FPS if I have that on globally; can't recall) and it never seemed unplayably laggy, though there were some times when it was thinkin' about it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm not quite sure how far it goes but I feel like I unlocked a fair bit of content (most of the unlocks, and what really felt like a final boss battle) on the Deck without any configuration changes (maybe 40FPS if I have that on globally; can't recall) and it never seemed unplayably laggy, though there were some times when it was thinkin' about it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I unlocked Sigma and thought about doing a quick gold farm run.

Folks, if you ever wanted to kill a Steam Deck, this is the game (FPS counter on the top left)

a 30 minute run ended up taking like 40-45 minutes from all the lag. The last 5 minutes probably took like 10-15. This is under the experimental lag fix option.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 20, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I did not have particularly disruptive lag clearing out all the unlocks. It slows but not in a way that detracts from the game

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I feel like I might be the only person who really hates gyro aiming.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

buttchugging adderall posted:

I feel like I might be the only person who really hates gyro aiming.

Not just you. I tried it in horizon forbidden west on my ps4 pro and I hated it. Maybe makes sense for people who don't fidget

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1600530/3D_Aim_Trainer/

(no idea if it works on the Deck)

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Up to 92% on the order queue. I can smell that vent from here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That looks like it’s really expecting me to be on a mouse and keyboard, but I’ll give it a shot!

Tenkaris posted:

Cyberpunk has a pretty nice aim assist for snapping to targets in the settings. It also has some settings I turned off on the PS5 to make it feel better to me.

You need to go under advanced control options and zero out all the "bonus" and "delay" options for turning and the like. This made movement, gunplay and driving feel SIGNIFICANTLY better for me, but YMMV.

I’ll try this too!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Calibrate the dead zones of your analog sticks - they're too generous. Also do system updates.

Out of the box the thing is more powerful, louder, and hotter than you probably need unless you're chasing frames in like Elden Ring or Cyberpunk 2077.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

Mine does this also. The key is to move it to the bottom setting and then move it up one by one and that seems to fix this glitch otherwise yeah even at 15 it'll lag