Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's the state of the game now? What is there to do to stay busy other than PSE bursts and those occasional giant monster spawns? Particularly that I could do with two or three friends - are there maybe dungeons or D3 greater rifts or something now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

for party poo poo there's battledia, trinitas, and cannonball rumble/strike

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

rodney mullenkamp posted:

for party poo poo there's battledia, trinitas, and cannonball rumble/strike

There's also the Dark Falz Mk 2 Trigger Quest you can do. Smaller party version of the UQ with a meaner version of dark falz with some fairly stringent rez restrictions.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

They added a bit of story content where you can find people around the map to get NPC conversations...which thinking about it is pretty much those blue monoliths from the PSO2 matter board days.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It does help flesh out the characters a bit which was sorely needed. For instance, I now know that the robot man was super gay for dead muscle dad.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Still can't believe that the story of the game is that all the characters that came down to the planet in a space pod (including the player) have no memories before landing except Manon and this has never come up, not even in the one on one conversations you have with her. Seems like something you would probably ask her about.

InspectorCarbonara fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 19, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's hard to believe the plot could be worse and more non existent than Ep1 and Ep3 but here we are

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Insert joke about episode 3 being a card game here.

But seriously, PSO2 episode one had a plot back during the matter board days, it was just a convoluted mess because time travel, and the revamp oversimplified it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah but nothing happened until the very end of Board 10 or whatever, just hours of "wow this place is weird okay bye" until Gettemhult hosed up big time, which isn't unlike what 'plot' is in NGS at the moment

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Future NGS plot, according to me: Halpha is really one of the giant colony ships that escaped Palma during the events of Phantasy Star 2. Via some unknown emergency, everyone abandoned ship into escape pods, which got caught in decaying orbits for who knows how long and are now randomly falling back onboard. It's been hundreds of years so everyone's brains got fucky from cryo and no one remembers anything. Except Manon, who is actually Dark Force running around in a skin suit. The other Dark Force thing is a decoy, for reasons. When it's time for Sega to shut down the servers Manon/Dark Force will kill everyone onboard like it does with most of the other colony ships and it will crash on Motavia, the biggest planet in the skybox, where its ruins will eventually be explored by Chaz and his goofball friends because they gotta grind a bit before fighting Zio

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

That would be interesting so it’s definitely not going to happen.

I haven’t played since the beginning of Retem. Have they really never referenced her memories a single time yet? Has the story actually gone anywhere at all or is it still just “there are dolls in this region. Go there and destroy them. Thanks.”
Like, even with episode 1 you at least got world building with the dragons and lillipans and stuff.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 19, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

She recognized some stuff in the Kvaris Komputer but it was brushed aside and never mentioned afterwards lol

The entire Kvaris story is "we need the quintessential quintuplets' help to repair the cannon" and you spend the entire 20 minutes of story content finding them and solving the world's easiest puzzle

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I liked that the boss at the end of the Kvaris story was a humanoid like Dark Falz Elder and for a brief moment I hoped that meant it was going to talk and we'd get some story development, but nah.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is this game actually good? I played original PSO2 a bit but hadn’t touched this yet.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I still enjoy the actually act of playing it, but if you're super story focused it seems to need another year to cook. At least we had one minor side character go "Isn't it kind of weird that everything is super artificial and that biomes are separated by giant forcefields?" this expansion.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Is this game actually good? I played original PSO2 a bit but hadn’t touched this yet.

That's a hard no for you.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Is it not worth coming back to? I loved PSO2 proper but got bored of just doing the same dailies over and over in NGS. I know it’s technically a similar gameplay loop to the original, but it just felt more dull. Even the tower defense stuff felt neutered compared to the Lilipa ones. The Battledia quests seem closer to old style PSO, but the digital environment is repetitive and uninteresting.
I’ll definitely come back at some point since I’m a sucker for Phantasy Star, but I was hoping there would be more improvements by now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yeah. I play for the story. So I take it I should wait a while to even dip my toe in? Maybe I’ll just wait for the anime adaptation.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Speaking of anime adaptations, I should finish Episode Oracle. It was surprisingly decent, but I stopped after the episode 2 part.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Is it not worth coming back to? I loved PSO2 proper but got bored of just doing the same dailies over and over in NGS. I know it’s technically a similar gameplay loop to the original, but it just felt more dull. Even the tower defense stuff felt neutered compared to the Lilipa ones. The Battledia quests seem closer to old style PSO, but the digital environment is repetitive and uninteresting.
I’ll definitely come back at some point since I’m a sucker for Phantasy Star, but I was hoping there would be more improvements by now.
If you got bored of doing dailies in NGS then no it's not worth coming back since the loop now is just doing the same dailies on a snowy mountain instead of a desert/field.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Soon: what we currently have but hot instead of cold

:pwn:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Soon: what we currently have but hot instead of cold

:pwn:

I'm pretty sure the last unexplored zone on the map is the perfectly round one that just screams "boss arena."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is the discord active enough that if I try to make a group to help me get through some coccoons and towers I'll actually get some bites? I'm trying to get to the 1100 BP to get to the next mission and also just keep the money grind going.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm not available until fridays and weekends, but if you do, I'm down. I'd imagine someone would response if you do.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ardeem posted:

I'm pretty sure the last unexplored zone on the map is the perfectly round one that just screams "boss arena."

yeah basically

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Combat Lobster posted:

I'm not available until fridays and weekends, but if you do, I'm down. I'd imagine someone would response if you do.

Cool! So, next the game auto-recommended the ship I should've used at the beginning, can you change those safely? I think I'm in ship 03.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Is the discord active enough that if I try to make a group to help me get through some coccoons and towers I'll actually get some bites? I'm trying to get to the 1100 BP to get to the next mission and also just keep the money grind going.

they're all quite easy to solo

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Cool! So, next the game auto-recommended the ship I should've used at the beginning, can you change those safely? I think I'm in ship 03.

Oh well that'll be a problem because most everyone is on Ship 2.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I remember playing NGS and how I slowly lost interest until I was just doing login rewards and nothing else before I eventually decided to not play anymore. Considering that I spent almost the entirety of 2020 and 2021 until NGS' release playing PSO2, it's a legit shame that I personally felt that NGS didn't live up to the original game. A large open-world map sounds neat but feels a bit boring compared to PSO2's gameplay of picking a mission and then going there to instantly have fun.

Also they should've let you choose between logging in either NGS or PSO2 instead of logging into the former and having to move to the latter.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Pyro Jack posted:

Also they should've let you choose between logging in either NGS or PSO2 instead of logging into the former and having to move to the latter.

???

You can totally do that though?

RareAcumen posted:

There's def a small cadre of people who are willing to jump on and do some stuff most of the time, esp if its helping out someone new I expect. Can even add you to the alliance an all that if you send me an @ there, but yeah, you're gonna have to move over to ship 2, which you can do from the character select menu and putting in for a transfer at the next maint, which happens to be a little over 16 hours from this point.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

:same:

Somebody mentioned missions and yeah I'd probably be happy with less of an "MMO" and more of like a Vermintide But Phantasy Star. Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast was like that wasn't it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Combat Lobster posted:

Oh well that'll be a problem because most everyone is on Ship 2.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There's def a small cadre of people who are willing to jump on and do some stuff most of the time, esp if its helping out someone new I expect. Can even add you to the alliance an all that if you send me an @ there, but yeah, you're gonna have to move over to ship 2, which you can do from the character select menu and putting in for a transfer at the next maint, which happens to be a little over 16 hours from this point.

Okay, explain how to change ships even slower to me. I'm on PS4 so that's why I'm only now appearing to ask questions about the game. I thought it looked neat from a distance but I only had a laptop so I doubted I'd ever be playing the thing myself.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

In the character select menu, when logging in, where you pick to log in to pso2 or ngs, it's under settings. You'll be transferred next maint.

Or you can just make a character there since you get 3 free characters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pyro Jack posted:

After getting to Central Town and clearing the prologue you straight up have that option on the character select screen. The ol' PSO2 login screen is gone forever though.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

In the character select menu, when logging in, where you pick to log in to pso2 or ngs, it's under settings. You'll be transferred next maint.

Yeah, it costs real money to transfer a character. If you bought AC and spent it on character storage or have tons of character-only cosmetics, it may be worth transferring the character, but if you don't have tons of time racked up on your current, I'd just make a new one on ship 2.

Rangers are a great main class. You can attack from essentially any distance. Blight rounds are useful for targeting weak parts of monsters because the marked part will receive 120% damage. All nearby players will see the mark, too, not just you! You'll eventually unlock an area-wide version of it, too, which will help you and others take out large mobs of enemies in no time. There's also a grenade you can chuck at enemies. When it explodes, you'll get a pretty significant portion of your PP bar restored. It's exactly how goku gets more energy for his kamehamehas and it applies to us burning rangers, too.

Your priorities in your quest to 60, not necessarily in this order, are:

1.) Locate all cocoons, towers, region mags, and ryuker devices. Your mag will shoot off a white scanning grid in the direction of any nearby devices, cocoons, or towers. Ryuker devices are the fast travel points. You can also use them to transfer to base PSO2, another block, or... cook food. You don't need to 100% complete all side tasks to get the skill points from cocoons, which is something I did not realize until way too late, so save yourself the frustration. Go back to them at level 60 and make them pay for the sorrow they wrought. Cocoons grant skill points you'll allocate at the class counter in towns.

2.) Locate red containers scattered throughout the game. These often have money, augments for armor/weapons, armor itself, or even star gems. In the AC/SG store, you can use SG to get material storage rental, expanded storage rental, or upgrade from the free to paid season pass. The season pass in particular is only 100 SG. Material storage is a separate box for foods, armor/weapon upgrades, quest tokens, etc. and, if you have an active rental, the game will automatically throw all of those items into that box without you needing to do it manually. The storage rentals cost up to 720SG depending on rental period. That might seem like a lot at first, but as you login daily/occasionally, break red containers, and obtain titles, you will get showered with SG. Sega also doles out SG as compensation on the reg for relatively minor issues. As long as you don't blow every 50SG you acquire on scratch tickets, you're golden.

3.) Do the quests given around hubs by NPCs. Daily tasks are a great way to rack up experience and money. These are always going to be cook food, gather one type of material in a specific area, feed a region mag, and kill 50 enemies in a specific area. Most of the quests NPCs give you will throw a decent amount of money or experience at you, usually the latter.

4.) Learn how to do inventory management. It's not as daunting as it seems. When your inventory is close to being full, you can either quickly select everything (highlight one item, hold L2 on your controller, and then hold up or down to quickly select multiple items) and send it to storage to mess with later, or determine what to do with it now. Excluding what would typically go into material storage, you're going to exchange probably 99.9% of drops into cash. Don't stress about shoveling through armor and weapons, either. Just transfer it. Save gold/silver swords and primm armor for grinding out your own weapons and armor, however. You can buy basically any weapon or piece of armor up to like level 50 for the low, low price of 1,000 meseta from a player shop. You can access any of your storage containers from any place--you don't need to be standing at a storage terminal or whatever. Just open the game's menu and go to inventory. Which inventory you're looking at can be changed at the top of the window.

I get it. All the items are confusing. Let's take a look at Ranger launchers and armor.

Looking at launchers, you'll notice that about half of them are for level 15 or lower. Everything on this list except the 4 or so at the very bottom are 1,000 meseta on the player market. You don't really need to upgrade weapons and armor that often. You'll need a decent supply of materials (augment capsules and grinders, primarily) once you're closer to 60 and actually wanna start upgrading things, but that's a ways away. Same thing with armor. Most of that is dirt cheap on the market, even with decent preset skills. This is true regardless of your class, so don't stress out trying to decide if anything is worth keeping or not. It isn't. Unless you are doing high level urgent quests or group activities, you're almost definitely not getting a weapon or armor drop worth keeping or using. Save yourself the headache and just turn it all into 45-65 meseta per item. When you're level 30 and your level 15 required or whatever weapon isn't cutting it out for you anymore, hit up that player market, pick your fatboy slim ft bootsy collins - weapon of choice.mp3 and get a new one. If you've got excess materials, feel free to add useful augments and chuck those silver/gold swords at em to level them up. Going from an ungrinded/barely grinded level 15 weapon without augments to something like a Greaga Launcher +40 with a preset augment and 4 of your own augments will let you scatter enemies to the four corners.

At the moment, there's the moonlight event going on. Enemies with the yellow and blue icons over their heads drop a separate currency called seasonal points. Talk with Xitre in the town to exchange these points, loading up on Precision III and other augments on the cheap. Can get a good supply of materials stocked up this way, but it demands more inventory management until you've saved up enough SG to get that material storage rental.

crab

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I guess I'll just have to do that. Not super jazzed about having to re-do everything, but it's only 34 hours of progress and I'll only need like 15 to get back to here anyway. Gonna miss those few free outfits from the lottery even if I don't like them.

Also the way all this stuff is monetized is really off-putting too.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I guess I'll just have to do that. Not super jazzed about having to re-do everything, but it's only 34 hours of progress and I'll only need like 15 to get back to here anyway. Gonna miss those few free outfits from the lottery even if I don't like them.

Also the way all this stuff is monetized is really off-putting too.

the whole monetization scheme is incredibly stupid and bad. Even putting aside how wildly overpriced their dumb gachas are, the number of basic QoL features they try to sell to you is really gross. Particularly auto-sell (way more worthwhile than material storage, in my opinion, in terms of things you'd care to spend SG on).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

No way in hell, mat storage is literally the best thing you can use sg on by leaps and bounds.

Meanwhile as of kvaris autosell is tangential at best since they cut trash drops from tables like woah.

That being said though, ship transfers are p much the only thing I think is fine among the charged stuff, given how wildly different prices on stuff can be across ships.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone mentioned that they had a system in place to restrict people just doing new account runs to generate like 500k credits for their main accounts. Is there any system in place against grinding on the free scratch tickets? I made a second character on Ship 02 and I was thinking of just popping in on the old one for the free scratch and hoping I roll a double to unlock that stuff there too.

Character creation may not be my strong suit but I still had like 7 different outfits/tops to wear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Free rolls (and most exchanges of stuff, campaign items, and whatnot) are just once per account. Similarly though, so is the account binding system, so if you rolled something on the old character, you could still easily get it on the new one with no problems and it would be fully account bound this time.