Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Wait the Colts line sucks now? Thought they'd been doing well
Their LT has been an issue for like 3 years now and much like the QB position, everything they have tried has failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I am in no way saying I think the Giants are good. It’s possible if not probable they will finish last in their division despite Dallas losing Dak and their entire O line. They have nothing outside of Barkley.

My point is just that Daboll proves it’s possible to be a first time HC, even of a bad team, and not puke on your shoes. Hackett looks like a fan who won a “coach the team for a day” contest.

Daboll at least built a good staff which is something that pretty much every single first time coach who isn't Sean Mcvay doesn't do. (As much as I loving hate to say anything nice about the Giants)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Wait the Colts line sucks now? Thought they'd been doing well

Castonzo retired at LT, and going after high-priced injured man Eric Fisher last year turned out badly. So this year they spent a 3rd-rounder on a guy who could be something, and re-signed the stopgap guy who look very average in relief duties last year. So far that's going about as well as you'd expect.

The bigger problem is that Ryan Kelly and Braden Smith have both shown themselves capable of playing top-tier football, but now that they're both very expensive their play has dropped off considerably. Nelson is still good, but he just got the biggest contract ever and at this point it's clear he alone is not capable of lifting everybody else up.

In short it's a unit with at least three really talented players that for whatever reason just sometimes gets absolutely smoked for no apparent reason.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I initially thought Matt Ryan Colts still wind up around .500 or better, but they’ve been having issues.

It’s a weird team because most of their best and expensive players are at non premium positions like LB.

The most premier positions like LT and QB are mehhhhhh

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Leonard is worth it because he definitely does improve the defense when he's on the field. They really miss him when he's not playing.

But yeah, Smith and Kelly aren't playing up to their paycheck. Smith is more of a bruiser than a pass protector, so with a weak LT and only one WR who can get open consistently, they really don't hold up against pressure.

This could change, because in the past couple of seasons, after 4-5 games all of a sudden the line does play at an elite level. But it's one of Reich's failings that the team consistently starts slow every year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

In short it's a unit with at least three really talented players that for whatever reason just sometimes gets absolutely smoked for no apparent reason.

With oline, a lot of the time that means they don’t trust the other players on the line.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Missed this yesterday

https://twitter.com/sheena_marie3/status/1571919066213847046?s=46&t=mj3tRbqrqCGbt-CqevJUjg

That team went 2-9 to finish the season.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you ignore the last 11 games, Matt Rhule ended the season on a three game winning streak.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wish I had a Matt Rhule in my life. He's always looking at the bright side.

me: welp, I defaulted on my mortgage and the bank if repossessing my house.
rhule: no more yard work!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ehud posted:

I wish I had a Matt Rhule in my life. He's always looking at the bright side.

me: welp, I defaulted on my mortgage and the bank if repossessing my house.
rhule: no more yard work!

boss: you showed up to work an hour late, hungover as poo poo and reeking of booze, sprinted directly to the dumpster out back to puke, then went home
rhule: yes, exactly, I puked out back where it would not disturb our valued customers. You'll note my performance reports never once mention vomiting directly on a guest. Give me some credit here

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Mega64 posted:

If you ignore the last 11 games, Matt Rhule ended the season on a three game winning streak.

I love this meme lmao

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mega64 posted:

If you ignore the last 3 seasons, Matt Rhule hasn't lost a game as head coach.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Docjowles posted:

boss: you showed up to work an hour late, hungover as poo poo and reeking of booze, sprinted directly to the dumpster out back to puke, then went home
rhule: yes, exactly, I puked out back where it would not disturb our valued customers. You'll note my performance reports never once mention vomiting directly on a guest. Give me some credit here
If you average the second half of his work everyday for the last month, he's third in the department.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Nervous posted:

If you ignore the last 3 seasons, Matt Rhule hasn't lost a game as head coach.

In Rhule's favor, he is at the very least not Hackett

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
It's still amazing to me how Rhule avoided being fired last year. Dude's been a dead man walking since, what, last November? But somehow he survived, and now the Panthers are staring down an absolute waste of a season and it's only Week 2.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's still amazing to me how Rhule avoided being fired last year. Dude's been a dead man walking since, what, last November? But somehow he survived, and now the Panthers are staring down an absolute waste of a season and it's only Week 2.

He was given a seven year contract. :laffo:

Firing him in year three is probably more palatable than firing him in year two, but not by much. :shrug:

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

If the NCAA wasn't so toothless of an organization the Texans could have been saved BOB and the Panthers would have been saved Rhule. Instead those two got painted as saviors of two "severely" punished programs and were inflicted upon the NFL.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

He was given a seven year contract. :laffo:

Firing him in year three is probably more palatable than firing him in year two, but not by much. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/1pantherplace/status/1572571746842349583?s=46&t=NMhoVF7sJjvLfKtoINl6pQ

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That number will probably be accurate next week.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I figure he deserved another shot considering how dire that QB stable was last year, but Baker isn't bad enough to justify being the worst team in the league in my opinion. He's gotta go.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mega64 posted:

That number will probably be accurate next week.

This saints offense scoring 17+ points is a tall order

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Low sample size and all but 2022 Baker and 2021 Darnold have eerily similar passing efficiency stats.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has there been a new first-time head coach more shat on than Hackett? The dude has his team at 1-1 and a lot of people are acting like he has lost every game for the past 5 years. Why are people so blood thirsty on him?

I don't care for the Broncos but I want to believe that Hackett can iron out some of his wrinkles and become a better coach.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Hughmoris posted:

Has there been a new first-time head coach more shat on than Hackett? The dude has his team at 1-1 and a lot of people are acting like he has lost every game for the past 5 years. Why are people so blood thirsty on him?

I don't care for the Broncos but I want to believe that Hackett can iron out some of his wrinkles and become a better coach.

Jim Zorn and Jim Tomsula were shat on a lot immediately as first time coaches. Hackett had that terrible 4th quarter field goal meltdown and seems out of his depth as a head coach.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hughmoris posted:

It's just that they oughtta be a pretty good team and that one win they got was eked out despite amazingly bad just regular old procedural coaching stuff. He does poo poo you'd be pissed off at your local high school coach for doing.

Yeah maybe he's gonna get better and everything comes together, but right now he really seems to be utter trash.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Hughmoris posted:

The wrinkles are some pretty bad wrinkles. The guy looks totally incapable of managing a game and doesn’t exactly have a fantastic resume outside of his time with Rodgers.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Fair enough. I haven't watched any of the games, just see everyone clowning him after starting 1-1.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Hughmoris posted:

Fair enough. I haven't watched any of the games, just see everyone clowning him after starting 1-1.

Watch the final two minutes of the Seahawks game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Denver has also played what most of us would have thought of before the year as the weakest schedule through two games.

I mean hey the Texans might have something going for them in some small way and the Seahawks are never normal, so I guess we'll see what happens going forward.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Hughmoris posted:

Freddie Kitchens had some pretty bad reviews early on. They, of course, got worse as it continued.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m sure it’s also exacerbated by being a hugely hyped game on MNF week one. Everyone saw him melt down in prime time and piss away what should have been a layup win. And if they didn’t see it live, they sure saw it dominating twitter and all NFL content the next few days. Maybe if it was a random 1pm Sunday game it wouldn’t have completely taken over the discourse.

But he really has been garbage.

edit:

also

Hughmoris posted:

https://twitter.com/BillyM_91/status/1571630818426060802

this... this is not normal

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 21, 2022

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Professor Funk posted:

The wrinkles are some pretty bad wrinkles. The guy looks totally incapable of managing a game and doesn’t exactly have a fantastic resume outside of his time with Rodgers.

Hey, he also got Blake Bortles to the AFC Championship Game!

Note: I have no idea how the Jaguars got to that AFC Championship Game.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Hackett is doing the worst possible thing by making the Broncos disappointment about him. There’s a $250 million guy on his team who will happily take heat, the thing you absolutely do not want to do as a 1st year coach is pin losses on you rather than that guy.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

My recollection is the Jags had a sick nasty defense that year that regressed hard afterwards.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Denver had a nice relaxed training camp and hosed around all preseason because their focus was all on the games that count. Through two weeks they are struggling to do basic game management poo poo like get plays in on time, or make sure there's a punt returneron the field. People are questioning if maybe they should have taken some time to practice this poo poo at some point, given that the entire coaching staff is new and inexperienced.

The fancy stats seem to like the Broncos offense for some reason, but they haven't been terribly efficient or effective. There's little evidence of any kind of improvement over Pat Shurmur despite having Russell Wilson instead of Drew Lock or Teddy B.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Jacksonville's defense had an outlier year.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Plenty of rookie coaches are overmatched in their first season, that's normal and to a degree expected. It's a hard job! But it's very rare to see a coach so overwhelmed that they're loving up even basic game management like Hackett is. There's always the chance that he'll grow into the role and get better... but given how much of a pressure cooker the NFL is, I sincerely doubt it.

As an aside, it is extremely funny how NFL teams will just hire dudes from successful teams without considering what they were actually doing there. Like, Hackett was the OC on a team where the HC designed the offense and was calling plays, and was executed by one of the best quarterbacks of all time. I'm sure he was great in the film room or at designing plays... but there's much, much more to running a team than just being smart at X's and O's. Patricia, Gase, and McDaniels (the first time around) all prove that, and yet standing next to someone who's successful is still the best way to get hired in the NFL.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hughmoris posted:

Urban "Lapdances" Meyer was worse. Hackett is making horrible dumbshit mistakes that half the people that post in this thread wouldnt be making.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Urban Meyer thinking he could take the Jaguars from worst to first by screaming at them hard enough will never not be funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Urban Meyer thinking he could take the Jaguars from worst to first by screaming at them hard enough will never not be funny to me.

You forgot the kicking them!