Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Hostile environment working as intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I mean fundamentally it's the logical result of having an economy that is dominated by rent seeking. Not good for the ready pool of easily exploitable labour if they are able to work their way out of poverty on a mass scale. I guess it's probably no different from what we've been doing to the third world for years but now directed inwards.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Tories working as intended really, the only question is at what point do the designated underclass get ground to the point that the rich can't get what they want conveniently.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Been offline for the last 24 hours, nice to dodge the Royal Bullet and have quite a nice day. :agesilaus:

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tomberforce posted:

I mean fundamentally it's the logical result of having an economy that is dominated by rent seeking.

He doesn’t really call it out in the analysis, but there is actually a big difference between the US and UK. Poor people in both countries are about equally poor, and the megarich don’t show up on a graph like that. But while the top 10% in the US are genuinely well off, the same group in the UK only make it up to the developed country average. The same is now true of the top 3%, although until recently it wasn’t.

You can’t have a lot of people making a lot of money renting to a fixed number of poor people. You can have a few who make a lot, or a larger group who make a bit, but not both. The US rich don’t seem to limit themselves that way. They actually sometimes try using their money to fund making stuff that people want and will pay for, in the manner of classic industrial capitalism.

Whereas the UK can’t even function at that level.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

That charter zone is some insane libertarian poo poo. There absolutely ought to be riots and general strikes about it.

Also did anybody post this here?

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1570832842623717377?s=20&t=1zWG6xTHz55UAipda4eMfw

While I don’t disagree with the broad point Slovenia is super nice and higher on the HDI than France, Spain South Korea and Italy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Slovenian HDI doubles whenever Zizek leaves country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EsalEAXFxo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

massive spider posted:

While I don’t disagree with the broad point Slovenia is super nice and higher on the HDI than France, Spain South Korea and Italy.

I've a Slovenian friend. Tells me there are nice houses, free health, great schools etc. Population is only around 2m though.

The problem with it for her is that while she is born and bred white Slovenian, she is a Muslim and says Islamophobia is rife.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I visited Slovenia a few years back. It rained every. Single. Moment. When we drove on to Italy, the clouds ahead eventually stopped in a near-perfect straight line, with clear blue beyond. I joked "Must be the Italian border."

It was. I think we were only two or three miles into Italy when the rain stopped, and from then on the weather was gorgeous.

Would like to go back, though - the country looked beautiful, or at least what we could see of it through the rain.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've a Slovenian friend. Tells me there are nice houses, free health, great schools etc. Population is only around 2m though.

The problem with it for her is that while she is born and bred white Slovenian, she is a Muslim and says Islamophobia is rife.

What are the odds? The one European country with Islamophobia.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
there's been some chat recently about winter-proofing your home, given the absurd energy prices we're facing. One of the blogs i read has a particularly comprehensive post about things we can do to save energy, thought the thread might find it useful:

https://www.ecosophia.net/before-winter-comes/

(the advice starts after a little rant about western energy policy)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tomberforce posted:

I mean fundamentally it's the logical result of having an economy that is dominated by rent seeking. Not good for the ready pool of easily exploitable labour if they are able to work their way out of poverty on a mass scale. I guess it's probably no different from what we've been doing to the third world for years but now directed inwards.

Yeah, for a class of wealthy, financially secure landlords to exist, there must by definition also be a much larger class of insecure renters living precarious existences, who can't be wished away by wibbling on about 'levelling up' or whatever. If you accept the existence of the landlord class, then you're inherently also accepting the existence of the tenant class, however much you dress it up in fine words about meritocracy and being pro-enterprise.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Guavanaut posted:

Slovenian HDI doubles whenever Zizek leaves country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EsalEAXFxo

Reminded of Thought Slime refering to him as "philosopher and racoon turned into a man by a goblin's curse"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Reminded of Thought Slime refering to him as "philosopher and racoon turned into a man by a goblin's curse"

Not to take away from TS but the "Zizek is a shapeshifted raccoon" joke is old as hell.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Microplastics posted:

there's been some chat recently about winter-proofing your home, given the absurd energy prices we're facing. One of the blogs i read has a particularly comprehensive post about things we can do to save energy, thought the thread might find it useful:

Insulate your house and wear a hat in bed.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Not sure why I’ve been thinking about this, but I can’t quite get my head around it. So the Queen helped Prince Andrew by contributing to the, say, $16 million settlement with Giuffre. Can a member of the landed aristocracy, who is the literal son of the Queen, not afford that sort of outlay? Of course it is a huge sum of money in absolute terms, I had just expected, inequality being what it is, that it would be a rounding error for a “senior royal”.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Microplastics posted:

This guy REALLY loving hates renewables, holy poo poo.

Like, he's not wrong about some of the issues surrounding them but you can feel the hate dripping off every sentence when he's forced to talk about them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Halisnacks posted:

Not sure why I’ve been thinking about this, but I can’t quite get my head around it. So the Queen helped Prince Andrew by contributing to the, say, $16 million settlement with Giuffre. Can a member of the landed aristocracy, who is the literal son of the Queen, not afford that sort of outlay? Of course it is a huge sum of money in absolute terms, I had just expected, inequality being what it is, that it would be a rounding error for a “senior royal”.

As far as I can tell the royal family have a shared money pool as long as they're part of the direct line, which is why Harry stepped down as a senior royal in order to make money on his own.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Like a bonded insurance pool but for if any one of them does sex offences.

I Thought She Was Legal & General

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
youtuber represents himself in court after running out into a cricket match to disrupt it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62902808

quote:

Jarvis, who represented himself, said he was not arrested over those pitch invasions, adding "no-one has been prosecuted for these things before".

"I didn't intend to disrupt the match," he told the court. "I didn't know when I was coming out. Why wasn't I arrested before? Why is everyone attacking me for it?"

Jarvis said he got "positive feedback" on his videos, which he made for "people's pleasure".

Solid defense :laugh: (he was found guilty)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alas that the judicial system does not operate on whether you are ratioed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/DrRubidium/status/1571869354546921473

Britain has made such strides in gender equality that the same is now true of women.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can't believe this legal genius was found guilty of the crime he did on camera.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Not explicit in the article but I'd think obvious to most people is that if your country is full of inequality, poverty and lack of public investment it's generally poo poo even for the rich. You're driving a 7 series, but when you leave it parked someone smashes the window to nick your sunglasses. You're drinking in a fancy club but you have to step over someone sleeping rough to get to the taxi rank. You say you don't need public services, but the roads are still poo poo and when you want to get a train for work it's late and crowded. Service workers you interact with are grumpy, short on time, think you're a rich prick. All those entitled workers on strike for no reason are stopping you going on holiday because the flight is cancelled.

In a functional society there's just less of all the annoying, upsetting, uncomfortable stuff that inequality and lack of public funding creates. Not to mention all those other people who no longer live unnecessarily lovely, unnecessarily short lives that you as a well off person would otherwise have to feel vaguely guilty about.

I guess if you're going straight from your chauffeured car to your walled estate to your car to your private club and never interacting with the actual people of the country at all you don't care, but that's not top 10% or even top 1% poo poo, that's the experience of maybe a few thousand in the entire country.

Anyway from personal experience the Norway comparison is well chosen - when I moved here I was working part time service stuff and was well inside that bottom 5% of earners, but honestly felt better off than I had in a much "better" job in Bristol. I'm doing the same kind of work I did in the UK again now, but don't think I could afford to move back. I've looked, and it'd be a 40-50% cut in salary to live somewhere with probably 10-15% lower cost of living.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tesseraction posted:

As far as I can tell the royal family have a shared money pool as long as they're part of the direct line, which is why Harry stepped down as a senior royal in order to make money on his own.
Monarcho-Communism

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Microplastics posted:

youtuber represents himself in court after running out into a cricket match to disrupt it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62902808

Solid defense :laugh: (he was found guilty)

He's lucky YJB didn't beat him to death with his bat.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hope the judge throws the book at him, no mercy for youtube pranksters.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

Not explicit in the article but I'd think obvious to most people is that if your country is full of inequality, poverty and lack of public investment it's generally poo poo even for the rich. You're driving a 7 series, but when you leave it parked someone smashes the window to nick your sunglasses. You're drinking in a fancy club but you have to step over someone sleeping rough to get to the taxi rank. You say you don't need public services, but the roads are still poo poo and when you want to get a train for work it's late and crowded. Service workers you interact with are grumpy, short on time, think you're a rich prick. All those entitled workers on strike for no reason are stopping you going on holiday because the flight is cancelled.

In a functional society there's just less of all the annoying, upsetting, uncomfortable stuff that inequality and lack of public funding creates. Not to mention all those other people who no longer live unnecessarily lovely, unnecessarily short lives that you as a well off person would otherwise have to feel vaguely guilty about.

I guess if you're going straight from your chauffeured car to your walled estate to your car to your private club and never interacting with the actual people of the country at all you don't care, but that's not top 10% or even top 1% poo poo, that's the experience of maybe a few thousand in the entire country.

All true, and also Mark Blyth talks about democracy as asset insurance for the rich, i.e. do the bare minimum to stop the proles from getting mad enough that they pitchfork you and take your nice poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

There is also the option of simply being a tory which transforms "people making you uncomfortable" into "ideological target practice"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A second MP has hit the twittersphere

https://twitter.com/kay_c1773/status/1572061649582030850

This comes after the Mercer (not Johnny, but the billionaire far right US backer) expose by Bylines Times. The two might not be related, but on top of this and the FBI interviewing Truss's chief of staff over interfering in US elections... We live in interesting times.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This guy REALLY loving hates renewables, holy poo poo.

Like, he's not wrong about some of the issues surrounding them but you can feel the hate dripping off every sentence when he's forced to talk about them.

Didn't get that feeling myself, just felt like an honest assesment to me, without pulling any punches. The days of cheap energy are coming to an end, well they're gone already.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1572186670652624896?s=20&t=9GctIGFrECQ2awFNOTl0Xg

Bah Gawd that's Andy Burnham's music (potentially)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ze germans don't pull any punches

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

keep punching joe posted:

Hope the judge throws the book at him, no mercy for youtube pranksters.

First they came for the YouTube pranksters and I did not speak up

Then they came for the shitposters

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

First they came for the YouTube pranksters and I did not speak up

Then they came for the shitposters

I will never be impeached for my perfect, perfect posting

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ze germans don't pull any punches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaXigSu72A4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I fail to see why anybody should be punished for preventing cricket.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

How neat the dominoes fall.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

OwlFancier posted:

I fail to see why anybody should be punished for preventing cricket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IExpXRsoEUc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Someone was asking about the hindu / muslim violence in Leicester, this seems to be a decent breakdown:

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/1571927657050415104?t=Bomm9uCQTRLpKRS4CZx0iQ&s=19