Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

It really loving is and Nintendo really either didn't know what they had or they spread themselves too thin and didn't focus enough on what the thing did right. Maps, menus, gyro aiming, drawing, all of that stuff. You'd think they would have figured that out from the DS. When it is played to its strengths it's a fantastic feature, enough that the Steam Deck emulating it is making people wake up to it now.

I feel like it's the name that really hosed it. Made it seem like just an accessary rather than a new system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Should’ve launched with something like Mario Maker to really show off the pad and not a fourth NSMB game

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Gamepad was an evolution of the 2 screens of the DS.

I think the ultimate reason for the end of the Nintendo 2 screen concept was that when it was good it was Really loving Good but a lot of times is was completely extraneous or minor.

Having the map always available to you instead of a menu screen covering the gameplay would have fit BotW perfectly. Being able to see the landmarks in front of you compared to the map like the video would have been exceptional.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shiroc posted:

The Gamepad was an evolution of the 2 screens of the DS.

I think the ultimate reason for the end of the Nintendo 2 screen concept was that when it was good it was Really loving Good but a lot of times is was completely extraneous or minor.

Having the map always available to you instead of a menu screen covering the gameplay would have fit BotW perfectly. Being able to see the landmarks in front of you compared to the map like the video would have been exceptional.

The game was clearly designed with it in mind, I mean the slate was basically Link’s own gamepad. I hope a build with that functionality leaks someday.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SeANMcBAY posted:

I feel like it's the name that really hosed it. Made it seem like just an accessary rather than a new system.

That too, but they also didn't do much to actually distinguish it on the actual marketing part either. This video covers it well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxxxsmIEolI

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, Nintendo was horrible at marketing it. I remember even someone like me who’s always plugged in was confused at first. I remember they didn’t even show the actual console at first for a bit.

I feel like more people are starting to realize how neat it actually could be, especially hacked. As we hit the 10 year anniversary (Jesus Christ) I think it’s gonna get rediscovered a bit.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It (and the 3DS for that matter) are super hot with the Zoomer crowd right now. 3DS stuff and interest has shot up in the last six months even

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s true I was visiting my little cousins a few weeks ago and they had the Wii U hooked up again and were obsessed with the Nintendoland Metroid game. I was delegated to ship duty but that game still rules

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo Land low key one of the best local multiplayer games ever.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The Wii U GamePad is also very comfortable as just a controller imo. Way more so than any of the ways that the loving Joy-Cons are meant to be used (whether loose, or in the grip, or with the tablet), and sort of more comfortable than a normal controller because I like how the hands are not so close together.

And yes, my hacked Wii U is getting way more use than my Switch. That little console can do so much.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, Nintendo was horrible at marketing it. I remember even someone like me who’s always plugged in was confused at first. I remember they didn’t even show the actual console at first for a bit.

I feel like more people are starting to realize how neat it actually could be, especially hacked. As we hit the 10 year anniversary (Jesus Christ) I think it’s gonna get rediscovered a bit.

This is basically The Nintendo Pattern though? There's a giant history now of nintendo poo poo being 20 years too early, coming back with better ideas and tech, and suddenly it's hot poo poo. Don't ever count a "failed" nintendo idea out.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

NinjaDebugger posted:

This is basically The Nintendo Pattern though? There's a giant history now of nintendo poo poo being 20 years too early, coming back with better ideas and tech, and suddenly it's hot poo poo. Don't ever count a "failed" nintendo idea out.

I tend to think that the Switch 2 will resemble the Wii U more than the Switch, like it will effectively fulfill the Wii U's goal of being a legitimately portable device but will also enable double screen play

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don’t think they’ll ever go back to double screen play. It only ever worked when the screens were in close proximity. Well, the aforementioned Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remakes used it really well too.

Microsoft and the other big game publishers tried to make companion apps a thing as a response to the Wii U but it never took off.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Wii U gamepad was amazing. I had so much fun playing HyWar and Sonic Racing with my husband because he could grab the gamepad and sit wherever he wanted and have his own screen. He hates split-screen multiplayer. I can't get him to play any of the Switch Warriors games or Mario Kart with me because he doesn't get his own screen. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Heath posted:

I tend to think that the Switch 2 will resemble the Wii U more than the Switch, like it will effectively fulfill the Wii U's goal of being a legitimately portable device but will also enable double screen play

It's pretty unlikely. Game design's largely homogenized now (even moreso with Sony pushing into PC releases of their exclusives) and there's zero reason to make something as esoteric as a dual-screen platform when developers can just make something that works on every other platform with less effort for more sales.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's pretty unlikely. Game design's largely homogenized now (even moreso with Sony pushing into PC releases of their exclusives) and there's zero reason to make something as esoteric as a dual-screen platform when developers can just make something that works on every other platform with less effort for more sales.

I mean, six years ago there wasn't much reason to think an underpowered quasi-portable system could fit into the design space either, and yet here we are

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Heath posted:

Finally, the Nintendo Land sequel us possible

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Heath posted:

I mean, six years ago there wasn't much reason to think an underpowered quasi-portable system could fit into the design space either, and yet here we are

Nintendo has been making underpowered devices for a long time. The full value of “you can play the same game at home or on the go” is realized by every game instead of needing to intentionally design for the second screen.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm just saying I expect to see some kind of second screen functionality in the Switch 2, not as a baseline gameplay feature à la the Wii U but as a nice additional function, like being able to play BotW with a minimap on a switch style controller but you could also play it portably anywhere without that feature, that is, not integral to the gameplay, but a feature which enhances it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Heath posted:

I'm just saying I expect to see some kind of second screen functionality in the Switch 2, not as a baseline gameplay feature à la the Wii U but as a nice additional function, like being able to play BotW with a minimap on a switch style controller but you could also play it portably anywhere without that feature, that is, not integral to the gameplay, but a feature which enhances it.

So kind of a GC-GBA thing then

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

It could work kinda like how the Wii U does but in reverse.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Killingyouguy! posted:

So kind of a GC-GBA thing then

Yeah but it works and is all one unit

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Heath posted:

Yeah but it works and is all one unit

Did people have problems with the Gba cable not working?? Mine was always fine

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It was more logistics than function, especially for something like Zelda Four Swords where you had to have all the product just to play a mode on one game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish Nintendo would remake Four Swords Adventures with online. It’s really fun.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish Nintendo would remake Four Swords Adventures with online. It’s really fun.

I wish too, now I'm wondering if there's a way to get multiplayer going through emulation

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

switch 2 should have a 3d screen

it's honestly still stupidly cool technology to me

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If they do it needs a slider though, the 3D on the 3DS gave me headaches and very few games used it in a way that even looked particularly good, most of them developed by Nintendo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love the 3D. I have amblyopia and it’s the only stereoscopic 3D effect that’s worked for me. It’s a shame Nintendo kinda stopped caring about it with their later 3DS games.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
3D full-blast, every game.

Even Urban Champion is worth a go due to how well it was done.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I have a N3DS and 2DS XL, and I keep meaning to sell the 3DS since I prefer playing on the bigger system. But part of me is always saying, "what if I want use the 3D???"

I pretty much always turned it completely off even when the 3DS was all I had. I found it difficult to focus on the image and it always seemed too blurry.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A handful of Nintendo first party games are the only ones where I've felt like the 3D actually enhanced the experience

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only non-Nintendo ones I could think of off the top of my head that did it well were the Sega 3D Classics. Those are some of the best.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Some of Mario 3d Land and Link Between Worlds was a bit of a pain on my 2DS. I managed but it involved a lot more guesswork than intended.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm still upset there was never a 3DS version of Infinite Space, all the scenes and cameras are essentially perfect for the effect to really shine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chronojam posted:

I'm still upset there was never a 3DS version of Infinite Space, all the scenes and cameras are essentially perfect for the effect to really shine.

I never knew I wanted this until this moment, but you're absolutely right! :rant:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think the biggest missed opportunity was not releasing some Virtual Boy games refitted to support the 3DS 3D. At least Wario Land VB would have been great.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
It’s a drat shame. They even had Virtual Boy badges in Badge Arcade just to twist the knife.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

Technically, you can see a white Wii U console under the TV. A white Wii U console that unless you were paying close attention, looks almost exactly like a Wii. And they never mention it in the trailer. It's all about a new controller. There's no wonder that many people thought it was a new controller for the Wii.

It was a terrible name and almost as bad an intro as the Xbone had. Doubt that one will ever be beat, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also important to remember this flop existed around the same time, in terms of confusing branding.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDraw_GameTablet

The Wii uDraw GameTablet.

It apparently had some moderate success on the wii, there's a good chance less industry savvy people thought it was just an update to this or thought they already had it, even.

Even if you were plugged in you were probably seeing articles at the time of the Wii U's release about how the uDraw was a massive flop for THQ, considering THQ was dying at the same time.