Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

jesus WEP posted:

i can understand chess.com not wanting to show “here’s the methodology we used to catch someone cheating” for uhh very obvious reasons

care to explain for the rest of the class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fart simpson posted:

if you were a nerd you would already know

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fart simpson posted:

no cheat detection is flawless and they tend to be easily beaten if cheaters know what the algorithm is looking for, because the algorithms don't actually detect cheating, they detect more easily measurable stuff that's correlated with cheating. this isn't a chess only problem, it's common to many games

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

thank you.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Magnus has to come out and say something even if it's something as simple as "I don't believe someone when they say they've prepped a position i've never played". Chess.com are also behaving badly by not producing at least some evidence.

Isn't he specifically not allowed to say anything due to FIDE rules, meaning this 'silent' protest is the only thing in his power?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm not a big chess drama guy, but this seems like Magnus Carlsen just trying to bully hans out of competitive chess right now.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

cheetah7071 posted:

no cheat detection is flawless and they tend to be easily beaten if cheaters know what the algorithm is looking for, because the algorithms don't actually detect cheating, they detect more easily measurable stuff that's correlated with cheating. this isn't a chess only problem, it's common to many games

But secret methods and secret evidence are (from an outside perspective) indistinguishable from having nothing more than somebody's say-so.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Redmark posted:

After reading about how prevalent online cheating is, not only from Hans, I'm definitely on team chaos.

I'm on team "Magnus is an rear end in a top hat"

e: to clarify, this was my position before this whole Hans debacle and will almost certainly remain so afterwards

qsvui fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 20, 2022

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
officially, i'm on team "magnus is absolutely being a baby and needs to put some proof on the table or shut up and he especially needs to stop these antics that threaten the competitive integrity of the event (with that win hans is tied for fourth, a draw or a loss would have had him out of top 8).

privately i'm on team "after being caught cheating multiple times, hans was always on borrowed time and i hope magnus bullies him out of the sport before quitting himself"

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I'm on team Hans is an idiot and also team Magnus is a baby that has ruined 3 competitions in a row with his tantrums.

1. WC/candidates will I play, won't I play

2. I lost to hans I'm gunna quit the whole tournament

3. Just gunna throw this here match against hans cause I don't wanna play

Without any kind of statement. We might all believe its due to cheating suspicions, but given he hasnt officially said anything from a facts standpoint magnus just look like hes trying to wreck every tournament that hes in. It's unacceptable behaviour from a two year old.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he’s made statements enough on the championship stuff though

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
This is just two fewer players I have to climb over to win the title.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Only thing I can figure that makes sense from Magnus (other than him just being an rear end in a top hat for its own sake) is that didn't Chess.com and Playmagnus merge recently? maybe as part of that he saw the evidence of Hans' cheating and it really pissed him off. How it's all being handled surely makes Chess just look like amateur hour as far as dealing with this issue. There was also that other tournament where Hans beat magnus in their first game and had some really lovely interview and then Magnus smoked him to win the match.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hand Knit posted:

This is just two fewer players I have to climb over to win the title.

Same. That and a missed few decades of chess education.

Team Chaos here

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Scipiotik posted:

Only thing I can figure that makes sense from Magnus (other than him just being an rear end in a top hat for its own sake) is that didn't Chess.com and Playmagnus merge recently? maybe as part of that he saw the evidence of Hans' cheating and it really pissed him off. How it's all being handled surely makes Chess just look like amateur hour as far as dealing with this issue. There was also that other tournament where Hans beat magnus in their first game and had some really lovely interview and then Magnus smoked him to win the match.

Busting out "the chess speaks for itself" before not only tanking the rest of match but getting blown out the whole rest of the tournament whips rear end.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

TheRat posted:

Isn't he specifically not allowed to say anything due to FIDE rules, meaning this 'silent' protest is the only thing in his power?

Maybe, I couldn't figure out from the FIDE rules whether they penalize for falsely accusing of cheating in a particular event, or just generally, or both. This most recent thing by Magnus is him saying "I don't ever want to play against this guy" through his actions. I think arguably you shouldn't be able to enter tournaments and then quit in bad faith just for that reason.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Scipiotik posted:

It could be.. Levon Aronian gave an interview the other day where he said that he understood where Magnus was coming from and more or less that he hopes this will teach Hans a lesson and that he will stop doing what he's been doing.. or something to that effect. Then he went on about how if the Chess world just spent a fraction of it's resources on the problem it could be fixed no problem (???)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JmZJC4Ltqs

Aronian's answers seemed kind of weird to me given how everyone else is approaching this... I hope everything comes out *some day, recognizing that even if the worst is true it doesn't excuse Magnus ruining tournament after tournament lol

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 20, 2022

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Starsfan posted:

It could be.. Levon Aronian gave an interview the other day where he said that he understood where Magnus was coming from and more or less that he hopes this will teach Hans a lesson and that he will stop doing what he's been doing.. or something to that effect. Then he went on about how if the Chess world just spent a fraction of it's resources on the problem it could be fixed no problem (???)

this really resonates with me as a competitive trivia player -- every online competition (along with many live) has some number of people cheating (usually a shitload) despite whatever safeguards are put in place. most commissioners are afraid to look too hard at cheating because statistically some number of their close friends are probably doing it (and the utterly insane trivia people might sue them for libel or some poo poo)

(now, trivia is mostly meaningless and doesn't have any of professional chess's prestige but i can certainly identify with the frustration that obvious cheaters just aren't ever investigated and people get a million extra chances once they ARE caught)

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
This was the statement from Rensch and chess.com last week:

quote:

Dear Chess Community,

The last few days have been tumultuous for many in the chess community. At this time, we have reached out to Hans Niemann to explain our decision to privately remove him from Chess.com and our events. We have shared detailed evidence with him concerning our decision, including information that contradicts his statements regarding the amount and seriousness of his cheating on Chess.com. We have invited Hans to provide an explanation and response with the hope of finding a resolution where Hans can again participate on Chess.com. We want nothing more than to see the best chess players in the world succeed in the greatest events. We will alway act to protect the integrity of the game that we all love.

Danny Rensch
Chief Chess Officer
Chess.com

so one unanswered question is what exactly is in that dossier of "detailed evidence" they sent him and if anyone is tempted to leak it.

rollick fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 20, 2022

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You know, Nieman is clearly a very strong player. I don't think anyone doubts that. But when it comes to cheating, you don't necessarily even need for the computer to tell you what to do; just the fact that SOMETHING is there is often times a big enough hint. Look at puzzle positions - especially in the more difficult puzzles, it's sometimes only because it's a puzzle that the answer gets found, whereas you might play a much more natural move OTB. You could get a signal that there's a big advantage you could gain on the next move, or that it's a dangerous position where maybe natural moves are traps, or that the opponent just blundered, etc.

Cheating doesn't have to mean the computer feeding you every move. It can be much more subtle and that much more difficult to detect.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 20, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rollick posted:

This was the statement from Rensch and chess.com last week:

so one unanswered question is what exactly is in that dossier of "detailed evidence" they sent him and if anyone is tempted to leak it.

im tempted, but i dont have the data

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I just think Magnus needs to either say something or stop being such a huge baby about the thing. I've never even heard of Hans before this year and now I'm becoming a big fan of that guy being able to trigger Magnus like that. Maybe this is just me being old, but I just think that online cheating is, to be honest, not that big of a deal, not that I would be happy if somebody did it to me, and totally different than cheating OTB. I think there's just zero chance Hans has or is cheating OTB.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gret posted:

I just think Magnus needs to either say something or stop being such a huge baby about the thing. I've never even heard of Hans before this year and now I'm becoming a big fan of that guy being able to trigger Magnus like that. Maybe this is just me being old, but I just think that online cheating is, to be honest, not that big of a deal, not that I would be happy if somebody did it to me, and totally different than cheating OTB. I think there's just zero chance Hans has or is cheating OTB.

Cheating in online money tournaments is total bullshit what on earth are you talking about.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Not that it's not dirty, but there's also a big difference between cheating when you're just some rando who got frustrated at losing and when you're a loving GM (or IM or whatever highly rated player).

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

totalnewbie posted:

You know, Nieman is clearly a very strong player. I don't think anyone doubts that. But when it comes to cheating, you don't necessarily even need for the computer to tell you what to do; just the fact that SOMETHING is there is often times a big enough hint. Look at puzzle positions - especially in the more difficult puzzles, it's sometimes only because it's a puzzle that the answer gets found, whereas you might play a much more natural move OTB. You could get a signal that there's a big advantage you could gain on the next move, or that it's a dangerous position where maybe natural moves are traps, or that the opponent just blundered, etc.

Cheating doesn't have to mean the computer feeding you every move. It can be much more subtle and that much more difficult to detect.

Yeah I think Magnus himself mentioned this at one point before this whole thing blew up (not necessarily related to Hans Nieman I think) but if he had the ability to get just 2 computer moves in an entire game at his discretion he would literally never lose to anyone at his level of strength. These players are so closely matched in skill that the smallest edge at the critical moment would make the difference.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he would only lose to people below his level of strength? theres nobody at any levels above him

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Starsfan posted:

Yeah I think Magnus himself mentioned this at one point before this whole thing blew up (not necessarily related to Hans Nieman I think) but if he had the ability to get just 2 computer moves in an entire game at his discretion he would literally never lose to anyone at his level of strength. These players are so closely matched in skill that the smallest edge at the critical moment would make the difference.

I know Kramnik has said that if he had a buzzer whenever the position hit ~0.3 (or -0.3) in evaluation he'd be invincible. Doesn't even have to give moves, just know that it's +/=

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Starsfan posted:

Top-level chess players are surreal. If you gave me two computer moves I'm not even sure my rating would improve.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Captain von Trapp posted:

Top-level chess players are surreal. If you gave me two computer moves I'm not even sure my rating would improve.

You're not supposed to use them in the first 5 moves!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

idk i think even at my level if i had a little buzzer that let me know when there’s a tactical sequence and i should stop and treat it like a puzzle, that would help bigly

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In the last speedrun video Naroditsky talked about the 5th american chess congress tournament. They apparently had a cake with this puzzle written on it which captivated the playing hall:

White to move and checkmate in 2.

https://lichess.org/analysis/4k1b1/4PNPn/4Rn2/K5p1/3R2P1/5Q2/8/8_w_-_-_0_1?color=white

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

In the last speedrun video Naroditsky talked about the 5th american chess congress tournament. They apparently had a cake with this puzzle written on it which captivated the playing hall:

White to move and checkmate in 2.

https://lichess.org/analysis/4k1b1/4PNPn/4Rn2/K5p1/3R2P1/5Q2/8/8_w_-_-_0_1?color=white

I think it's

1.Rd7

I found that through the challenge being what to do about black playing Kxf7. Given that Kxf7 opens up Kxg7 the next move, there aren't very many options to deal with that so you start looking for moves that can address it. That's basically just knight moves and Rd7 so far as I can tell.

e: Okay, to go through all the variations:

1...Kxd7 2.Qc6#

1... Kxf7 2.e8=Q#

1... Bxf7 2.Rd8#

1... Nxd7 2.Nd6#

1... Nf8 2.exf8=N#

1... Nd5/e4/xg4/h5 2.Rd8#

I think that's it.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

gret posted:

Maybe this is just me being old, but I just think that online cheating is, to be honest, not that big of a deal

I don’t think it’s that you’re old, you just have abysmal judgment

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'm rated 1200 on chess.com; I just tried a game against the 1500 bot with two hints allowed. The hints managed to bail me out of losing positions twice, and then, with my hints gone, I tried to march my king across the board to help promote a pawn and got checkmated by my opponent's two rooks.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Starsfan posted:

Magnus did a podcast about a year ago in Norwegian where he said that if he had 1 or 2 times during a game where a signal told him that his position was critical in some way he would practically never lose. He wouldn't need to know the moves, just that there was a move.

E: It's in this 10-minute video where he talks about cheating https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcbHmHHwlUQ

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexW6W0e2Sc

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Salt Fish posted:

Cheating in online money tournaments is total bullshit what on earth are you talking about.

eh, even online money tournaments aren't as A Big Deal as OTB. they're online video games, of course people are going to cheat in them.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

cheaters spotted

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA