Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Azhais posted:

Except make a Vintage Story thread apparently

I just don't want to read 500 pages about it in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ravenkult posted:

I just don't want to read 500 pages about it in this thread.

Don't worry now we can get back to 900 pages about Project Zomboid like god intended.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Trick with PZ is to kill the zombies before they kill you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

Don't worry now we can get back to 900 pages about Project Zomboid like god intended.

That doesn't happen anymore because there's a PZ thread now :shrug:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Trick with PZ is to kill the zombies before they kill you

User not playing as intended. "This is how you die", is right there in the loading screen. Bug report: "user error". Solution: "Resolved". Yes, I did do tech support for a major video game company long ago, why do you ask? lol

QuarkJets posted:

That doesn't happen anymore because there's a PZ thread now :shrug:

I rather liked sorting through a few of the more popular games and reading some discussion, even if I skipped past some stuff I wasn't interested in. That's what convinced me to pick up Zomboid a good while ago. I'd rather skim then scroll past people complaining about finding ore in Vintage Story then watch the thread slow to a trickle and possibly die, but, it is what it is.

I just hope at least if anything new and interesting pops up, it gets posted here.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
As always, people posting about posting are more annoying that people posting about games (including this dumbass). This thread usually had like 2 posts every few days so it's not like Vintage Story was pushing out other stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'd be down for a game that is more survivorman but with zombies but as games like SCUM have shown its hard to set those kinds of things in a modern environment. Once you have towns that are filled with metal tools you aren't going to be painstakingly mining and forming bits of copper, but the drawback is that the towns are then filled with stuff that can only be used for one very specific thing. You go for a looting trip and find a tarp that can be used to form a water collection apparatus which is great except it takes up 90% of your inventory and you are currently bleeding to death.

If there was a modern survival game like that I'd be interested in going for a small map, maybe even a single house, and filling it with all the debris of everyday life. Rather than having to put one or two items in every building to maintain balance, make every drawer have fifty paper clips and lengths of string and all of that stuff, then make you MacGyver together what you need to survive. Yeah I don't have any matches but I have some stick baling twine, a bent ruler, and some grass I found outside, so I can start a fire and use that to light other things.

It would be really interesting to play and next to impossible to code since there would have to be so many possible interactions involved and people would get pissed if their idea wasn't allowed by the system.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
That's just CDDA though which is what zomboid ultimately wants to be.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arven posted:

That's just CDDA though which is what zomboid ultimately wants to be.

That's the thing though, Zomboid can't really do that because otherwise you could just live for six hundred hours on a single suburban road. By nature of the gigantic map you need to make sure that the houses are largely empty to give people a reason to go outside and interact with the zombies in order to scavenge.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Small scope, limited urban resources is done by This War of Mine. Just a small brain worm away from seeing other people coded as 'zombies.'

McGuyver the survival game is a different problem I think as you mention for the scope issue. But I think someone could very carefully make this a sort of 3d jank sandbox where every material is coded as sticky, stretchy, high tensile, high sheer etc. which would give a basic ruleset for making a car out of paperclips and rotten cabbage that drives incredibly poorly and probably launches you into the sun during a physics event.

Otherwise CDDA is a perfect example that gating crafting behind stats and using static recipes is maybe ok as a side mechanic but is ultimately a bit frustrating especially once you start restarting.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'd be down for a game that is more survivorman but with zombies but as games like SCUM have shown its hard to set those kinds of things in a modern environment. Once you have towns that are filled with metal tools you aren't going to be painstakingly mining and forming bits of copper, but the drawback is that the towns are then filled with stuff that can only be used for one very specific thing. You go for a looting trip and find a tarp that can be used to form a water collection apparatus which is great except it takes up 90% of your inventory and you are currently bleeding to death.

If there was a modern survival game like that I'd be interested in going for a small map, maybe even a single house, and filling it with all the debris of everyday life. Rather than having to put one or two items in every building to maintain balance, make every drawer have fifty paper clips and lengths of string and all of that stuff, then make you MacGyver together what you need to survive. Yeah I don't have any matches but I have some stick baling twine, a bent ruler, and some grass I found outside, so I can start a fire and use that to light other things.

It would be really interesting to play and next to impossible to code since there would have to be so many possible interactions involved and people would get pissed if their idea wasn't allowed by the system.

at a certain point you just don't really wanna play a video game anymore, you want to go out in the woods and try to start fires with the contents of your junk drawer

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

at a certain point you just don't really wanna play a video game anymore, you want to go out in the woods and try to start fires with the contents of your junk drawer

Yeah but the DNR says I can't do that anymore after that thing in California.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's the thing though, Zomboid can't really do that because otherwise you could just live for six hundred hours on a single suburban road. By nature of the gigantic map you need to make sure that the houses are largely empty to give people a reason to go outside and interact with the zombies in order to scavenge.

the big flaw with this is sifting through hundreds of empty containers is super tedious.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah but the DNR says I can't do that anymore after that thing in California.

well cool now you've got your mobs

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

the big flaw with this is sifting through hundreds of empty containers is super tedious.

That's the point yeah, half of the containers in games like Zomboid are just straight empty and 3/4 of the remainder have things like a single sock in them. I know that the "lore" reason usually is "well its After The Fall and all the houses have already been looted" but there is still running water and TV broadcasts in Zomboid at the start, so that is kind of a weird explanation.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm playing Card Survival: Tropical Island and read in an FAQ that some resources are finite, is there anything specific I should be careful of while starting out? I've been dumping fronds and leaves into the fire pretty liberally

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Danaru posted:

I'm playing Card Survival: Tropical Island and read in an FAQ that some resources are finite, is there anything specific I should be careful of while starting out? I've been dumping fronds and leaves into the fire pretty liberally

This has changed since EA, now everything is renewable.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:toot: That's a relief, I did notice the FAQ I was reading mentioned an upcoming update in 2021 so I figured it might be a bit out of date :v:

Also for real I've only played for a few hours but this game rules. I've never had so much fun making GBS threads myself to death while desperately hurling spears at the ocean

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Oh yeah I've been playing the hell out of card survival now that it's hit 1.0

Current run playing as a soldier in a downed plane, starting with a broken leg and massive bleeding wound in the middle of malaria country at night has been a fun challenge. Took six attempts to not die. Have to pop flares right away from the supply trunk, tear apart clothes from the luggage, go outside and hope to god I can find a stick right away, make a torquinet and try not to bleed to death before I ran out of flares and was stuck in the dark. Pretty sure this'd be impossible without adding the extra supply trunk to the start conditions. Balancing using the water for dealing with heat and thirst, while balancing bug repellent, while every single action takes 1-2 hours to complete due to how badly hurt my dude is is hooboy.

But am finally 'stable' and starting to get ready to get the gently caress out of bug country, had to spend half of my ammo in my handgun scaring off monkeys constantly stealing my poo poo (They WILL steal your medicine and tools), pretty sure I've got malaria, am almost out of medical supplies, am out of rations and am suffering heavily from derealization.

Not sure where I want to properly set up camp, the beach is the easiest but come monsoon season you really don't want to be living in a coastal area, and sunburn is annoying until you get a proper tan, but the jungle proper is too many bugs and monkeys, while the more open areas are really loving hot and hard to get water and full of komodos. It's very much a pick your poison and I love it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Never heard of Card Survival before but it intrigued me enough that I looked it up and oh hey it's also on Android. Currently with update parity with the Steam version, no ads, no wacky permissions, no bullshit, reasonable install footprint, no wrestling with twitch reflexes or hastily tacked-on touchscreen controls. Is this... is this a new Good Mobile Game? In [current year]??

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's the point yeah, half of the containers in games like Zomboid are just straight empty and 3/4 of the remainder have things like a single sock in them. I know that the "lore" reason usually is "well its After The Fall and all the houses have already been looted" but there is still running water and TV broadcasts in Zomboid at the start, so that is kind of a weird explanation.

...Wait, really? Huh, honestly I've never actually had that complaint - and neither has the friend I play with. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong about anything, but I dunno, to me it always seems like there was the right amount of stuff, in houses? Like, a decent amount of canned food etc, some clothes and whatnot. I could be misremembering, but aren't there options when creating the 'world' where you can increase the amounts of spawned items in houses, anyway?
Either way, geez you're all making me kinda tempted to play CDDA, now. :D

Also, post-posting is bad, I agree, but to help perpetuate this convo, (sorry) I personally don't mind the Vintage Story chatter ITT. I mean, this thread seems to go through phases now and again, anyway. Like, earlier it was a big period of PZ posts (like someone else mentioned), preceding the current VS posting phase. Ages ago there was a period where a bunch of people were talking about URW for ages, etc.
Posting about popular survival games is fine and good, IMO. I don't really keep up with Steam releases (since there's just so much chaff these days, seems like) so reading about new/good survival games in this thread is a major source of information on what I should check out. v:shobon:v

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah Card Survival is a blast, perfect for a mobile game. It doesn't quite seem like 1.0 release material between all the typos, 80% of the survival guide being placeholder text, and bugs like infinite water generation with 2+ coconut shells in the rain or just breaking the interface *completely* by trying to drag with two fingers at once, but I'm digging it. Wasted multiple days not realizing how research works or how the tabs on the research screen actually works, only just figured out how to wash out my wound before it hit critical bacterial mass, and apparently I can't throw rocks for poo poo. These seagulls are just stealing anything that's not nailed down. How did you even steal a serving of ground herbal root, you winged rat?! :argh:

I also can't seem to figure out how the shortcut icons work, because for instance I tried to map the satchel I have equipped to the [1] slot for easy access but when I tap on it it just says "There is no Satchel here". Honestly not sure if I have this wrong or something is just bugged.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Yeah Card Survival is a blast, perfect for a mobile game. It doesn't quite seem like 1.0 release material between all the typos, 80% of the survival guide being placeholder text, and bugs like infinite water generation with 2+ coconut shells in the rain or just breaking the interface *completely* by trying to drag with two fingers at once, but I'm digging it. Wasted multiple days not realizing how research works or how the tabs on the research screen actually works, only just figured out how to wash out my wound before it hit critical bacterial mass, and apparently I can't throw rocks for poo poo. These seagulls are just stealing anything that's not nailed down. How did you even steal a serving of ground herbal root, you winged rat?! :argh:

I also can't seem to figure out how the shortcut icons work, because for instance I tried to map the satchel I have equipped to the [1] slot for easy access but when I tap on it it just says "There is no Satchel here". Honestly not sure if I have this wrong or something is just bugged.

The shortcut icons don't take into account what your equipped with, which sucks since that's the best use case, otherwise it's just hotkeying certain items to your number keys/the number buttons on the interface. I generally use it for the fire, firestarter, and tinder.

Rock throwing is a useful skill to have yeah, you can train it pretty well by throwing rocks at coconut trees. It's main benefit is it doesn't require anything, you don't actually need a rock at hand to throw one at a critter, it's a free attack and also has a high chance to not outright kill certain animals, letting you capture them. Otherwise it is heavily outclassed by the spearfighting or archer skills, tho a sling can do well in a pinch.

If you think the seagulls are bad wait till the monkeys find you tho. Those little shits can get into your huts, can bite you if you resist the monkey tax and steal anything that isn't nailed down or in a sealed container. (They'll just steal the container) Including your precious son Weston. Did you know you can't recraft Weston? I didn't. Had to go hunt the monkeys down to get him back.

I've still not dived deep into the altered mindstates the game has, tho it takes surviving for a few months before the crazy starts to set in unaided by eating shittons of shrooms, so that's probably why. There is an entire skill dedicated to it tho, wonder how that works.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 21, 2022

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The altered mindstates are terrible because they ruin your mood. Low mood adds a 15 minute penalty to all actions, it's horrible. All of the low mind stats also drain the other mind stats, so you end up spiraling out and it's very difficult to recover from. Maybe I just haven't found an effective way to raise them back up yet, but they're kind of a death sentence.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Major Isoor posted:

...Wait, really? Huh, honestly I've never actually had that complaint - and neither has the friend I play with. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong about anything, but I dunno, to me it always seems like there was the right amount of stuff, in houses?

No complaints here, but it's about gameplay over realism. Using PZ as an example, If I were to walk up and down the street in a suddenly abandoned suburban neighborhood and almost every 3-4 bedroom house had a pair of jeans, two worn out t-shirts and a jacket, no socks, and no kitchen knives or tools, I would be really confused how all those families managed to live their lives sharing half of a set of clothes and no kitchen utensils and maybe 1 or two things in their junk drawer.

I guess you could explain it away like CuddleCryptid said and assume most places have already been looted, but most places don't appear to be ransacked, with locked doors and windows and the people who lived there still shambling about inside. You could instead assume most people packed up and grabbed what they could before they left too, but not everyone can take that much stuff with them, and there's still plenty of zeds around.

However, no matter the game, while more realistic it would be way more tedious to find a dozen separate pairs of socks, underwear, shirts, pants, etc. in each dresser and closet in every bedroom or 15 individual dead rats, bear pelts, cloth scraps, etc. in each treasure chest and corner in every cave. Rooms with no furniture or caves that are just walls aren't as visually appealing though, and non-interactable decorations are typically a good way to reduce item bloat. However, it just wouldn't work as well in a game like PZ or something similar where you could only open like 1 out of 10 cupboards and you would end up either mouse highlighting over everything to find what is interactable or constantly getting an annoying fake "you can't open that" message on everything you tried.

There's a balance in these types of games, and unless I feel super overloaded with item bloat, or super lacking for gatekeeping necessities because of bad design, I'm more than willing to write off some realism for some good gameplay.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

In card survival what is the difference between the middle set of cards and the bottom ones?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CuddleCryptid posted:

In card survival what is the difference between the middle set of cards and the bottom ones?

The bottom ones are in your personal inventory, the middle ones are on the ground. This doesn't make a huge difference until you start moving between areas.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
In animal encounter, you can only use the things in your inventory like a spear.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Danaru posted:

The bottom ones are in your personal inventory, the middle ones are on the ground. This doesn't make a huge difference until you start moving between areas.

Thanks, that makes sense. At first I thought exploring would leave behind whatever was in the middle row but that didn't prove to be true so I was confused. I didn't know you could move between areas.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

idk if isims count for this thread but Gloomwood went EA last week and seems extremely promising even at this early stage. It’s a NewBlood project if that matters to you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Card Survival looks great. I’ll definitely pick that up when there is an iOS release.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Picked up Card Survival on android, seems neat so far but I keep accidentally combining things in the inventory. Definitely seems way more of a PC centric interface that they mashed onto the phone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

Picked up Card Survival on android, seems neat so far but I keep accidentally combining things in the inventory. Definitely seems way more of a PC centric interface that they mashed onto the phone.

I’m hoping it’s better suited for the iPad tbh

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I can't actually find how to craft improvised dressings in Card Survival. I assume it'll happen when I figure out cloth? which will probably be after this guy dies from accumulated monkey bites

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In the jungle there's some plant you can pick to make a lovely dressing. You'll need two for a macaque bite yes that's from experience.

If the bacteria level gets too high on the wound, it'll stop healing entirely. I believe you can wash it out with safe water but I'm not 100% certain because I just managed to invent soap shortly after it happened to me. (For the love of god hoard ash and charcoal whenever your fire goes out)

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Improvised bandages are crafted from the cloth directly, without a recipe. Similar to chatting with Weston, it's a button on the cloth description. There's also an ash bandage you can make from small cloth and ash. If you have charcoal from the fire you can crush it with a rock to get ash.

Aloe gel is anti-bacterial and unlocks at low levels of herbology. It's good to have since back pain and sunburns are a menace early on.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Also rope is just yarn + yarn for anyone as dumb as me :cripes:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

You need a loom to even make cloth though, right? Or is there some lower-tech way of doing that because a loom seems pretty far off for now.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Either a loom or rip up your starting clothes if you don't have the islander background. The loom isn't that big of an investment at least, only takes a bunch of twine and long sticks to build. But making cloth is a big time sink in itself. I usually get my first cloth for stuff by my socks falling apart.

Loom works a bit unintuitive, at least to me. You put the yarn on it to prime it, then either weave a small cloth from it's card or drag another piece of cloth onto the loom to enlarge it. Dragging a cloth of any size onto an empty loom will destroy it back to yarn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

explosivo posted:

I get the feeling this difficulty is going to be there regardless of whether you're clicking or tapping. It can be unintuitive, but it's easier to avoid as long as you make sure you're dragging onto something that doesn't have an interaction. If you're trying to multi-drop stuff it'll auto-stack with the relevant cards. What's got me stumped is trying to find a quicker way to multi-drop stuff, like when I cut a tree down and end up with a dozen fronds pinning me to the ground. Once or twice I've accidentally dropped multiple of one card onto another for crafting, but it doesn't seem to work with just dropping to an empty space.