Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Inner Light posted:

The rep you dealt with definitely has a bonus or quota tied to how many protection plans they sell too, so it is a huge incentive for funny business Wells Fargo type bullshit.

When I sold Cingular/AT&T like, 20 years ago, it was a metric that counted twice - once for the “Feature $ per opportunity” number, and they also tracked insurances specifically. It may have changed, but at that point there was no commission on insurance plans due to “you must be a licensed insurance agent” laws.

But it was definitely something that managers would hound their sales reps about. At the time, it was $10/month with the first month free, so their policy was “put it on every line, tell the customer the first month is free and they should call customer service to cancel it if they don’t want it.” Sometimes we’d have people right off the bat want us to remove it, and we were told to tell them we couldn’t at store level. If they got REALLY mad, the manager would remove it and play like it was a big deal to be doing that in the store.

It was rough enough that once in a while we’d catch another store “flipping” a feature, where they would remove and then re-add the same thing, usually a text or data plan. There was a chargeback period on commissions for those, so if we caught it, a manager would have to go reset the commission codes.

Wireless is a super shady business, and only slightly less shady at corporate stores vs resellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

TVs Ian posted:

When I sold Cingular/AT&T like, 20 years ago, it was a metric that counted twice - once for the “Feature $ per opportunity” number, and they also tracked insurances specifically. It may have changed, but at that point there was no commission on insurance plans due to “you must be a licensed insurance agent” laws.

But it was definitely something that managers would hound their sales reps about. At the time, it was $10/month with the first month free, so their policy was “put it on every line, tell the customer the first month is free and they should call customer service to cancel it if they don’t want it.” Sometimes we’d have people right off the bat want us to remove it, and we were told to tell them we couldn’t at store level. If they got REALLY mad, the manager would remove it and play like it was a big deal to be doing that in the store.

It was rough enough that once in a while we’d catch another store “flipping” a feature, where they would remove and then re-add the same thing, usually a text or data plan. There was a chargeback period on commissions for those, so if we caught it, a manager would have to go reset the commission codes.

Wireless is a super shady business, and only slightly less shady at corporate stores vs resellers.

Why I'm glad my provider caters to old people and their upsell is data plans that grow as needed and only shrink when you mandate it in the app or over the phone.

They're very clear about warranty upsells on the phone (ofc you need it though and you can't get Applecare+ from them except at the time of sale!) and it's easy enough to say no. They don't do retail really but my phone came in 24 hours. They also have CS oversight from a third party.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don’t understand why people continue to be taken advantage of with poo poo like that and ever increasing lease agreements when much cheaper options exist in the prepaid realm and buying a refurb or even a new device outright is stupid easy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Question Mark Mound posted:

“Check out these cool new Lock Screen widgets! Also look how your photos can have the subject appear in front of the time! These are the two most noticeable features of iOS 16 and we love them. No, of course you can’t have both of them at the same time, you loving imbecile.”

- Apple, 2022

It does seem like a weird limitation. But I think the reasoning for me is if I'm taking advantage of the depth feature, I want the focus of the lockscreen to be solely on the image I picked. Information at the forefront of everything without using the depth feature is where the widgets come in. It's stupid, but I think that's it lmao.

Aphrodite posted:

It's also very picky about space above the subject, and since it only does crop by zoom and doesn't let you freely position the photo some just won't be compatible.

Yeah that, and it needs very clear foreground/background elements. I had to photoshop the image I wanted to use by adding a chunk at the top and used the content aware/healing brush tools to blend it better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/20/ios-16-haptic-keyboard-battery-life/

quote:

"Turning on keyboard haptics might affect the battery life of your iPhone," says Apple, in a support document published last week. Apple does not provide any additional details, so it's not clear exactly how much battery life the feature uses. Note that Low Power Mode does not disable haptic feedback, so the only option for users who are concerned about potential battery life impact is to keep the feature turned off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Maybe I should turn that off then. I haven't noticed any difference with it on. I don't know if that's a bug or I've been missing something obvious, but yeah. Seems like turning it on should have done something and it didn't.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Of course it's gonna take more power, every time you tap something it has to fire off the little solenoid thingy that makes the bump. That's not free.

So battery drain is going to depend on how much texting you do in a day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No way. You don’t say that a small “motor” rumbling every .5 seconds as you type might lower the battery life?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

drat my BlackBerry Storm cosplay is at an end.

~Coxy posted:

Steve was right all along.

drat this has me feeling something.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 20, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally got my purple phone.

It’s nice, not purple enough.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/tech/iphone-14-pro-camera-shake/index.html

Apple has a software fix coming next week for the camera shaking issue on iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

No way. You don’t say that a small “motor” rumbling every .5 seconds as you type might lower the battery life?

It's just weird for Apple to acknowledge that something has a large enough effect on battery life to specifically mention it. Curious whether it's a large battery drain, or that people are just complaining about crappy iOS 16 battery life, not knowing that this could cause it.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a great Magsafe charging stand / station for the iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple watch?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

unpurposed posted:

Can anyone recommend a great Magsafe charging stand / station for the iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple watch?

My wife has the anker one and she loves it. I personally think the tall phone tower is dumb but it does everything it needs to.. charges a phone and a watch.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I use this one from Hyper, it’s very good. The MagSafe charging sometimes didn’t work on my 12 PM but that turned out to be an issue with the phone not the charger, and the Qi pad worked perfectly with it so even that wasn’t a big deal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm sure the girl at AT&T I had to deal with the other day after web process just didn't work "accidentally" subscribed me to their lovely $20/mo protection plan without asking, and only had my best interests at heart. And I love how the emails asking me to review the bill and pricing that just leads to a blank page isn't a bad sign at all.

Seriously, gently caress everyone and everything in this chain of 'just trying to buy a phone' experience thus far.

Maneki Neko posted:

This is the worst part of the mobile companies right now (it seems to be everyone in the US at least) and they do not give a poo poo. Feels like it's going to take a big lawsuit to fix this.

Yup, I worked phones 13 ish years now, worked for 3 out of 4 of the companies so far.

In retrospect, it’s honestly amazing to me the cell companies (all of them) didn’t get busted for similar practices to Wells Fargo. But hell, they didn’t.

Now, ratio goals keep going up where some of them obviously just make it where you have to slam to hit the goals they want (slam is adding a feature without permission, etc).

It’s weird , because imo parts of it were way worse 5-7 years ago than now. But A. Time is a circle, and B. Growth is stalling , so it’s def possible pressure it coming back to keep adding even though it’s super saturated.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cage-free egghead posted:

I don’t understand why people continue to be taken advantage of with poo poo like that and ever increasing lease agreements when much cheaper options exist in the prepaid realm and buying a refurb or even a new device outright is stupid easy.

The entire setup is where all information and convenience is on postpaid. People don’t know how to research sure, but people have finite knowledge and energy, so at some point you “just gotta get it done with.”

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/tech/iphone-14-pro-camera-shake/index.html

Apple has a software fix coming next week for the camera shaking issue on iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max.
I wonder how many iPhones they’ve had to replace in the meantime. Whoever made the mistake is definitely getting fired, probably cost tens of millions of dollars in replacement units.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's just weird for Apple to acknowledge that something has a large enough effect on battery life to specifically mention it. Curious whether it's a large battery drain, or that people are just complaining about crappy iOS 16 battery life, not knowing that this could cause it.

My guess, they never noticed how much it drained the battery because nobody does a "type on the keyboard for 14 consecutive hours a day like a real person who texts" test in the lab.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I just put Velcro tape on the back of an official MagSafe and stuck it on a wall next to my bed. I like it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder how many iPhones they’ve had to replace in the meantime. Whoever made the mistake is definitely getting fired, probably cost tens of millions of dollars in replacement units.

No programmer is an island. Multiple people have to sign off on firmware and software commits. Besides, they just spent tens of millions of dollars training the employee. :v:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you not remember Bendgate? iPhone news aggregates on sensational reporting of flaws that affect a fraction of a percentage of all users. And is it even confirmed that it’s an issue that would require replacement?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It seems like the problem is with 3rd-party apps that use the camera, right? IMO half the problem is Apple's "surprise fuckers!" release model where new hardware gets announced one week and is in the hands of the public the next, without 3rd party devs having a chance to test anything. I don't expect Apple to ever change this because it generates a lot of sales and hype

e: apple themselves may have been overly cautious testing tiktok, instagram, etc. because that is itself a potential leak of camera capabilities

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 21, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's something in iOS, not the 3rd party apps themselves. 3rd party cameras can't even touch the sensor shifting stabilization, so it shouldn't have just been a matter of access time.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Phone got delivered yesterday to the wrong address, spent all day searching with no luck, called this morning to report it lost, and an order for a replacement was put in, then an hour later it gets returned, but now its too late since the carrier blacklisted it, so I have to wait for October 12th to get a new one.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That sucks extremely hard.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Anyone else using the Weather Lock Screen pissed off about details popping in? Like, I tap my phone or a notification wakes it up, it's a blue sky for a full second then big clouds POP in visually. Not in what seems to be any intentional animation, more of a bug.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's because it doesn't update the weather info in the background so it's jumping from the weather conditions at 8am to the weather conditions at noon when you got a text.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

American McGay posted:

It's because it doesn't update the weather info in the background so it's jumping from the weather conditions at 8am to the weather conditions at noon when you got a text.

Naw this happens throughout the day, like it just happened at 1PM and 1:10PM for example. And the weather hasn't changed in that time, it's always been partly cloudy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to make it not ask me if I want to report junk every single time I delete a text message?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fyi the Ars review is finally up.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/iphone-14-and-14-pro-review-a-picture-is-worth-a-thousand-dollars/

Looks like they knocked it out of the park with dynamic island. And as we know, it’s still small jumps overall if you have a 13 or 12.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inner Light posted:

Anyone else using the Weather Lock Screen pissed off about details popping in? Like, I tap my phone or a notification wakes it up, it's a blue sky for a full second then big clouds POP in visually. Not in what seems to be any intentional animation, more of a bug.

I wish it showed the "feels like" temperatures, I'm just not interested in adding it to mine otherwise :sigh:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mister Facetious posted:

I wish it showed the "feels like" temperatures, I'm just not interested in adding it to mine otherwise :sigh:

Feels like would be great but I really want widgets for humidity/dew point

I might have to finally make iSweat, my app for alerting me about uncomfortable combos of heat/humidity. EDIT- I have no idea how to do that actually

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Inner Light posted:

See I caught it! gently caress you Tim!!!

(shot on an iPhone 13 Pro, I still can't bring myself to upgrade to 14 Pro when the benefits are soooooo marginal, even though on the Upgrade Program it's almost hurting myself not to upgrade)

e: It appears I fixed it by rebooting the phone, not happening anymore :)

e2: nevermind still happening :(

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 21, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Carrot has a widget for this

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Endless Mike posted:

Carrot has a widget for everything*

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Move somewhere reasonable and actual temperature will always be the same as feels like.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Endless Mike posted:

I already use Weather network for it, I'd just like it on my lock screen too.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the weather widget seems to eat battery for me on an iphone 12 pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Am I the only one who thinks the new Home app is a confusing mess?