Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sab669 posted:

I'm so conflicted on wanting / needing more to read... But not wanting to only have a chapter or three at a time

I'm of the opinion that "avoiding like the plague" for situations like this is best as reading any book piecemeal like that sucks. I don't care how long Stormlight 5 takes to be made, I will NOT read the epilogue until I have the full book in my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I always say that as well, only to succumb after half a page of spoiler chat that I can't read!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I always plunge right in. Personally I've found while it doesn't necessarily remove the itch, it does relieve it somewhat.

The week's preview has only reinforced my desire, no my need, for a crossover Adventures of Wayne and Lopen series of novels.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm still waiting for BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE: The Culinary Adventures of a Sentient Island and Their Half-Singer Sous-Chef

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
While I had some... issues with Bands of Mourning, there was some good poo poo in it and I'm excited as hell for The Lost Metal.

Honestly, I'm really conflicted with Bands of Mourning. It has some really loving cool spectacle but I also feel like it frequently undermined itself and had the most predictable twists I've ever seen across all the Sanderson books I've read.

A lot of "middle book" problems.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh boy, my second favorite Sanderson season has started, pre-release spoiler season! So before reading this excerpt, I will continue my tradition of trying (and failing) to make some accurate predictions about the new Sanderson book.

Spoilers purely for Mistborn books released until now, plus what we can gleam from the book description, namely that there's a time skip. There will be a Stormlight spoiler section clearly labeled below:

- So there's a time skip, which means that the outlying cities didn't immediately rebel against Elendel. Bu the situation was far from resolved, so I'm sure the political drama will still be an important topic in The Lost Metal. I do expect some changes here, the conflict probably needs to be solved, otherwise the much larger times skip to the modern day Mistborn era would be extra jarring. Perhaps with Aredel as governor, the Elendel senate agrees to compromise with the outlying cities?

- Whatever those kandra who serve that outside force were working on (and accelerating plans after Wax' uncle didn't cooperate), it wasn't anything drastic immediately, otherwise there wouldn't have been a time skip I think. Perhaps even an accelerated time table still has the main event take a lot of time. Time that might just be about to run out, courtesy of the time table. I expect some big reveals here, what they were working on, and who exactly they are serving. This particular plot seems especially hard to predict, but I have more to say in the Stormlight section.

- Wax' sister escaped, so I think we're due for a big showdown between brother and sister, representing Harmony and that outside force, respectively. But I think Telsyn doesn't really work as the "final boss"; so to speak. So I expect their confrontation to be halfway through the book.

- I wonder if Marasi is due a boyfriend. Or girlfriend! On the other hand, Sanderson may be wise enough to resist the urge to pair her up with somebody just because he can. I expect her to remain single.

- In contrast to Wayne and MeLaan, of course. I think they will still be adorable together in The Lost Metal. Wayne will pull off some amazing hijinks again, and I will enjoy it.

- So what are Harmony and the kandra up to? And will Marsh meddle in things again? Hoid gave Wax that coin that exposed Kelsier as the Sovereign, I can't believe that this revelation will play no role in the story. Will Kelsier himself make an appearance? If not him, then surely his brother. I bet one of them shows up.

- I hope Wax hasn't simply forgiven Harmony everything. His struggle with his faith was a good part of the books.

- I believe the Southern Scadrians won't play a big role in the story, I don't know why but I think they will be more important in the third Mistborn series.

Now for more spoilers, mostly Stormlight Archive but also White Sand and just general Cosmere spoilers:

- The big question is of course, whether Trell is Odium, Autonomy, or something else entirely. It seems to me as if Odium doesn't quite fit, he's been confined to Roshar for quite some time, and I imagine Harmony's reply letter to Hoid would have a different tone if Odium was the outside force Sazed had to fend off. Autonomy makes more sense, especially if they really do hate the thought of two shards working together. But I wouldn't discount a third party, we know very little about some of the other shards.

- The other big question ties into the bullet point about Kelsier and Marsh, are the Ghostbloods going to appear in The Lost Metal? They are clearly already an established organization, since the second Mistborn series takes place in the time skip between SA5 and SA6. It would be strange if there is no recognizable Ghostblood activity in this book. Especially since Brandon said that Kelsier will be very important for the third Mistborn series, so a big wham moment with the Ghostbloods would be a good teaser/cliffhander for Mistborn Era 3.

I'm extremely looking forward to this book, I've written several times that I would have preferred the finale of the Wax and Wayne series to Stormlight Archive 4.

Now I'm off to read the excerpt, perhaps I'll already be proven at least partially wrong withing the first few chapters?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Oh man, I finally clicked on this, and you forgot to mention the best part! The release is of chapters 1 and 2 from the audiobook, with Michael Kramer narrating!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Oh man, I finally clicked on this, and you forgot to mention the best part! The release is of chapters 1 and 2 from the audiobook, with Michael Kramer narrating!

I haven't listened to any audiobooks ever, but the reading was pretty good. I still will only buy the books in readable format, but it was a nice surprise to be able to listen to the audiobook chapters, too.

By the way, these three chapters were nothing new, they've been released previously. Except for the prologue, I think. The truly new chapters will start next week.

I realized that some of my predictions are already outdated, and that I misspelled several characters :negative:

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I have never read any Sanderson books previously, however, I’ve finished Way of Kings and I’m about 50 chapters into Words of Radiance and I gotta say the only thing I don’t care for is the Shallan flashback stuff so far. I’m really enjoying it overall. I think over the pandemic I really started not enjoying the grimdark, all your fav characters die or their lives are so poo poo they may as well be dead, stuff. I’m liking this because while it’s not entirely bleak, it definitely still feels like there’s stakes involved. Good stuff, will probably check out Mistborn afterwards.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Wangsucker 69 posted:

I have never read any Sanderson books previously, however, I’ve finished Way of Kings and I’m about 50 chapters into Words of Radiance and I gotta say the only thing I don’t care for is the Shallan flashback stuff so far. I’m really enjoying it overall. I think over the pandemic I really started not enjoying the grimdark, all your fav characters die or their lives are so poo poo they may as well be dead, stuff. I’m liking this because while it’s not entirely bleak, it definitely still feels like there’s stakes involved. Good stuff, will probably check out Mistborn afterwards.

You don't have to but I strongly recommend reading Warbreaker after you finish Words of Radiance

also don't forget the Stormlight novellas in between 2, 3, and 4

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.

101 posted:

You don't have to but I strongly recommend reading Warbreaker after you finish Words of Radiance

also don't forget the Stormlight novellas in between 2, 3, and 4

Hey thanks for this, I didn’t realize there’s extra books in the series, is there a preferred reading order?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Way of kings
Words of radience
Novella: edgedancer
Oathbringer
Novella:dawnshard
Rhythm of war
Novella: something with Rock maybe
Stormlight 5

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wangsucker 69 posted:

If you're tired of the overly grimdark stuff, you've found the right author for you. People actually "accuse" Sanderson's books of being YA literature, but if you think about it for a moment, the world that Mistborn for example takes place on is a bleaker place than Westeros. Yet it never feels that way, probably because there's no direct on-screen rape or torture, and the violence feels purposeful (on the part of the author, not always on the part of the characters), not needlessly gratuitous.

You're never going wrong with publication order, even among his wider Cosmere novels. Edgedancer takes place shortly before the events of Oathbringer, and came out a shortly before Oathbringer was released. Similar with Dawnshard, which I believe came out a month before Rhythm of War.

Publication order is nearly always chronological order, except for Mistborn: Secret History, which nevertheless must not be read before Bands of Mourning.

There are usually minor crossovers between the different series, taking place in the same meta-universe. The exception is Stormlight Archive, which Sanderson has confirmed to be more or less the crossover series. It's really recommended to read Warbreaker before Oathbringer at the latest. And luckily, the Warbreaker e-book is available for free on Sanderson's blog.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Hey thanks for this, I didn’t realize there’s extra books in the series, is there a preferred reading order?

Warbreaker is great to drop in whenever. By the time you get to stormlight 3ish it starts to hint more heavily at the wider universe, and that starts to arrive moreso in Mistborn 5ish. Elantris is regarded as his weakest work, so some people might tell you to skip that.

Then there's Arcanum Unbounded, which is... a lot of other stuff, bits and pieces from the Mistborn and Stormlight worlds, plus a few things that seem to take place on other planets with other magic systems.

How much am I missing out on from not reading White Sand? I've never been much of a graphic novel person.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Publication order is nearly always chronological order, except for Mistborn: Secret History, which nevertheless must not be read before Bands of Mourning.

I read secret history before bands of mourning... Because I thought I was following the threads advice while without internet for a few days.

Whoops!!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

road potato posted:

How much am I missing out on from not reading White Sand? I've never been much of a graphic novel person.

Not much, really. While one of the main characters does recur, they have only had a few other on-screen appearances in the books. Most notably in Mistborn: Secret History. Khris, with her sidekick Nazh who shows up in SA as a minor character.

I can't say if the prose version is better, but the graphic novel is a big so what. Also, Hoid uses the titular sand in Oathbreaker and I think the Ghostbloods have some too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the graphic novel had some major art issues

including like, a boombox and a ceiling fan in a non-electric civilization

and sand magic which is the easiest thing in the world to make look cool (just crib off the sand guy from naruto), being represented as sparkly asterisks

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Not to mention the horse-drawn carriages when they use tame velociraptors or whatever.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

road potato posted:

I enjoyed the prose version, rough as it was, much more than I enjoyed the graphic novel version.

Tunicate posted:

In addition to those listed, I really did not like the change of artists so abruptly in the final pages of Volume II. I know it was unavoidable, but there's 3 different art styles in use and it's not great.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Fezz posted:

Not much, really. While one of the main characters does recur, they have only had a few other on-screen appearances in the books. Most notably in Mistborn: Secret History. Khris, with her sidekick Nazh who shows up in SA as a minor character.

I can't say if the prose version is better, but the graphic novel is a big so what. Also, Hoid uses the titular sand in Oathbreaker and I think the Ghostbloods have some too.

That stuff also shows up in RoW, Raboniel gives some to Navani to experiment with when she's trying to figure out measuring Stormlight, I think. I agree that the prose version was much better than the graphic novel, though is the former still officially canon at this point, or was that superseded by the comic?

I really enjoyed Arcanum Unbounded, all the stories left me wanting more without feeling robbed - sign of a good short story, to me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tunicate posted:

including like, a boombox and a ceiling fan in a non-electric civilization

and sand magic which is the easiest thing in the world to make look cool (just crib off the sand guy from naruto), being represented as sparkly asterisks

I remember the art being spectacularly bad and irritating to even look at. It got better I think when they switched artist, or it was good from the start and got worse. Can't remember in which way it went...

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

His Divine Shadow posted:

I remember the art being spectacularly bad and irritating to even look at. It got better I think when they switched artist, or it was good from the start and got worse. Can't remember in which way it went...

I preferred the second artist. :shrug:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The lovely art

Better art

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tunicate posted:

Way of kings
Words of radience
Novella: edgedancer
Oathbringer
Novella:dawnshard
Rhythm of war
Novella: something with Rock maybe
Stormlight 5

101 posted:

I'm just about to finish Words of Radiance. I have two novellas to read before cracking Oathbringer? :psyduck:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
When the gently caress will my white sand omnibus be done

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

AlternateNu posted:

I'm just about to finish Words of Radiance. I have two novellas to read before cracking Oathbringer? :psyduck:

You definitely don't need to read Warbringer, however it is a fun book and you can spot some interesting stuff in the Stormlight books if you read it.

Edgedancer is worth reading but not NECESSARY, I just think it really helps in explaining the world as it stands post Words.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Edgedancer definitely, warbreaker just adds to it since stuff from there gets more screen time in oathbringer than in wor or wok.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'd say Warbreaker is definitely required reading before Rhythm of War. You won't miss too much by not reading it before Oathbringer or Words of Radiance, but RoW really ramps up the cross-Cosmere stuff.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Think of Edgedancer as an alternate prologue or a side story. It's not essential, but it does take place directly before Oathbreaker.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

You can also just not read any of the extra stuff and be fine tbh, I've never read Warbreaker or Dawnshard and while I'm sure there are some things I missed I never really felt like I was missing something important while reading Rhythm of War.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Jose Valasquez posted:

I've never read Warbreaker

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It's Very Good

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

warbreaker is also free from brandon's website, under a cc-by-nc-nd license
read online
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/warbreaker-introduction/

for pdf and ebook readers
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/warbreaker-rights-and-downloads/

it also has chapter-by-chapter annotations which you shouldn't read your first time through

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Louisgod posted:

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

It's Very Good

I'm not saying don't read Warbreaker or that I'm against reading Warbreaker, but there's a LOT of Cosmere novels/novellas and it can be overwhelming if you look at it as 12 novels you have to get through in the right order to maximize enjoyment instead of multiple series you can just read independently as you feel like it.

I've read 11 out of 12 of them in the past 3 years and I've enjoyed all of them, even the thread's punching bag Elantris, but if someone wanted to just read the main Stormlight Archive books they would be fine understanding the primary story of Stormlight Archive.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
You're not wrong, BUT, it is a wonderful complimentary story and imo should be mandatory Cosmere reading, especially during a Stormlight read-through.

It also adds a lot of color to the Cosmere

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Warbreaker seems to be increasingly relevant but a whole lot of what matters in Edgedancer is also just in that one side chapter already

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I read stormlight 1-3 without reading Warbreaker and it was fine. It's good expanded content for a re-read or post-read if you're into that kind of stuff, but definitely not required on a first read.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm ready for my Warbreaker sequel already!!!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Louisgod posted:

You're not wrong, BUT, it is a wonderful complimentary story and imo should be mandatory Cosmere reading, especially during a Stormlight read-through.

It also adds a lot of color to the Cosmere

I see what you did there

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Lots of people ITT suggesting you read less Sanderson. Boo to them.

Read everything in in giant literary orgy over a single weekend, spend the next month with mental indigestion. Come join us on the dark side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Taffer posted:

I read stormlight 1-3 without reading Warbreaker and it was fine. It's good expanded content for a re-read or post-read if you're into that kind of stuff, but definitely not required on a first read.

I think it's totally fine to not read Warbreaker before the first three SA books, but I do think it's much, much better to have read it before Rhythm of War. It's not that you won't understand what's happening in the story, but the crossover content has imho reached a critical point by then.

It's not like it's a chore to read Warbreaker, it's not Elantris after all. It's a fine book, and relatively short by Sanderson standards. And can also be read for free, so it costs you nothing but a bit of time.