Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

epswing posted:

The caliper has a couple rubber dust boots. Is brake cleaner to rubber what (DOT3/4) brake fluid is to paint? Or not a big deal just wipe it off after?

I don’t have a good sense of chemicals and their severity of contact with things they shouldn’t come into contact with.

First: Brake cleaner is only meant for the metal parts. You clean rubber parts you want to reuse with some standard dishwashing soap and water. Hardened rubber parts you absolutely have to reuse you can boil for 10 minutes in soapy water to get them a bit softer again, temporarily until you can get a new part.

To be completely honest, it's hard to predict and impossible to generalize, so because of that you always err on the side of caution.
Volatile petroleum solvents are bad for many types of rubber. However, there are also types of rubber (or materials that act and look like rubber, but aren't actually rubber) that are not harmed by it.

For instance: if you wipe an inner tube with a benzene soaked rag, you'll find a big black mark on the rag from the instantly dissolving rubber.
With brake cleaner, it takes about 15 minutes for it to weaken nitrile gloves, but about 5 minutes for latex gloves.
But there are rubber fuel lines that can withstand fuel contact for years.

Some brake cleaner overspray on your tires doesn't instantly make them fail, but you definitely don't wanna have the stuff dripping over your tires all the time. If i use brake cleaner, i put down some news papers over the things i don't want to get soaked.

E: in the USA you can still get chlorinated solvents-based brake cleaner. I have no idea how bad those are for rubber. I know one single thing about those, and that's that they turn into phosgene (yes, that poison gas that was used in WW1) if you get them too hot. Multiple people accidentally poisoned themselves after cleaning metal parts they wanted to weld together, while not all brake cleaner was gone yet.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

LimaBiker posted:

E: in the USA you can still get chlorinated solvents-based brake cleaner. I have no idea how bad those are for rubber. I know one single thing about those, and that's that they turn into phosgene (yes, that poison gas that was used in WW1) if you get them too hot. Multiple people accidentally poisoned themselves after cleaning metal parts they wanted to weld together, while not all brake cleaner was gone yet.

The story I recall reading said that the phosgene gas was created because of the UV light from welding, and not heat. Of course, it's best to be cautious around hazardous chemicals like that, either way.

The guy in the story suffered some pretty bad organ failure, so yeah be careful. Also wear goggles because most of those brake cleaners have a pretty powerful stream.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Definitely a good idea. The spray can be powerful enough to be deflected by something.

I've learned to just put some sun shades-style safety glasses on, even with silly little jobs.

Today i was wearing them because earlier i was working with 2-3 bars of pressure to see if certain tiny (6mm outer) air hoses that don't have any specs at all can handle that pressure, and i kinda expected the hose to burst.
I was wrangling a spring clip-type hose clamp off a hose. The pliers slipped and i heard the hose clamp shoot past my ear with a very cool and slightly scary ZHJOOOM! sound.

If that little thing would've hit my eyes, it definitely could've done some damage. I never ever thought about wearing them for removing springy things, but here we are.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Little springs just love to take off for low earth orbit. At least do yourself the favor of a safety squint if nothing else

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm looking at the prospect of putting a lot of highway miles on my GSX-S750 over this winter. It's got Battlax S22s on it now, but those will square off pretty quick going between Seattle and Vancouver a lot. I've ridden them in pretty torrential rain and cool temps and they're alright, but I'm not sure I want to rely on them for that kind of mistreatment regularly. I like how the S22s handle, but the default rain tire in my mind is the Pilot Road. Pirelli Angels are the other option, but are they good for months of highway, rain, and mid single to low double digit °C temps? Any other suggestions?
Also, what to do with the S22s... Keep them and put them back on for summer? Or try and sell them as used with some life in them before they're too square?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm super happy with my Angel GTs, but yeah the consensus on best rain tire tends to be the Pilot Road.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've run Angel GT 2(twice) and Power 5 the last 3 fall seasons. Both worked absolutely fine, but I prefer the Pirellis quicker turn in.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I haven't had time to go in cold/wet weather yet, but the Road 5s are pretty much designed for it from what their product page sez. I was petty happy with the Pilot Road 3s I had on the Bandit for a couple highway/rain trips.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Art

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Lmao perfect

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Horny Man Travis is absolutely mashing it

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Any advice on cleaning the bottom of the caliper? The bore (sides) and seal grooves are clean (a ton of crap came out of the grooves), but the “back” or “bottom” I can’t seem to make much progress. I assume I need to take care of this because whatever grime is left will enter the fluid system, right?

I’ve used scotch pads with brake cleaner so far, on that area at the back.

Also what’s with the sorta half pattern that’s on the right in the photo but not the left? Uneven wear?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
imprint of the piston?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

cursedshitbox posted:

imprint of the piston?

I thought so too but apparently not.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is a remnant of the casting boss where it stuck out further than the mill went in to cut the bore. It's not relevant.

You can get little scotch pad fittings for a Dremel tool that would whip that black stuff right out of there.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

That is a remnant of the casting boss where it stuck out further than the mill went in to cut the bore. It's not relevant.

You can get little scotch pad fittings for a Dremel tool that would whip that black stuff right out of there.

Thanks again folks for holding my hand through this.

I've moved on to the MC and something weird happened. The FSM says to remove the big rubber boot, clamp the MC, and remove the spring pin from the end of the push rod. That pin was in there pretty tight, I must have wiggled the yoke a bit, and the whole pushrod-to-yoke just easily came off the MC. When the MC was last assembled, was something done out of order, or incorrectly?

I got the spring pin out, and the next steps would have been to remove the yoke, and then to compress the external return spring so I can remove the shoulder nut, remove the spring retainer, and remove the external return spring itself. Then put the shoulder nut back, compress the piston spring, and remove the retaining ring. Then I should be able to remove the push rod. How did this thing just come off...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like the snap ring down the bottom of the pushrod was either not pushed in fully or is a bit tired so the force of the external spring just popped everything out.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a preventative maintenance guide and/or tools list for old British bikes? I bought a '73 triumph Daytona and although I am mechanically inclined I have no idea about British bikes and only a little about bikes in general.

Ive had VW beetles from the same era for a few years now so I'm no stranger to regular checks, valve adjustments & oil changes but I don't know where to begin. I have the triumph owners manual and shop manual but after 50 years I assume people have refined what was written.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

a dingus posted:

Can anyone recommend a preventative maintenance guide and/or tools list for old British bikes? I bought a '73 triumph Daytona and although I am mechanically inclined I have no idea about British bikes and only a little about bikes in general.

Ive had VW beetles from the same era for a few years now so I'm no stranger to regular checks, valve adjustments & oil changes but I don't know where to begin. I have the triumph owners manual and shop manual but after 50 years I assume people have refined what was written.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure those bikes operated on more of a continuous maintenance schedule, rather than preventative.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I guess that's what I'm looking for, just maybe I used the wrong word for it. Like what nuts and bolts to recheck the torque on beyond checking fluids and tire pressure etc.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Looks like the snap ring down the bottom of the pushrod was either not pushed in fully or is a bit tired so the force of the external spring just popped everything out.

Is the pushrod retainer (the washer behind the hemispherical end of the pushrod) supposed to be concave? Maybe this is why the pushrod/spring/clip all came out sooner than expected.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

a dingus posted:

I guess that's what I'm looking for, just maybe I used the wrong word for it. Like what nuts and bolts to recheck the torque on beyond checking fluids and tire pressure etc.

Even the factory didn't have what you're looking for, because those bikes aren't a factory built product the way you're used to thinking about it. Enthusiast forums and greybeard websites will be your best bet, you'll also find a myriad of upgrade parts built by men in sheds to fix otherwise unfixable issues. You'll need to buy all of those.

You have selected ultranightmare difficulty and I wish you all the best, sincerely.

epswing posted:

Is the pushrod retainer (the washer behind the hemispherical end of the pushrod) supposed to be concave? Maybe this is why the pushrod/spring/clip all came out sooner than expected.

Looks normal to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If that washer has a spring perched on it, then that convex part in the middle is normal, it keeps the spring centered

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
My Z400 came with the bar end weights removed, and the bars have been quite vibey so I bought some OEM weights to fit. However I forgot that my z400 also came with a Pro Taper bar instead of stock so the stock weights have nothing to screw into. Before I investigate sending them back, is there something I can fit into the handlebar to then screw the weights into?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You'd have to fabricate something I'd say.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Bicycle headset star nut?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

Bicycle headset star nut?

Not a bad idea, idk if you could cut it down enough and still have three little fingers on there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

just honk a buttload of RTV in there and jam 'em in, tape 'em in place till it sets. Nothing says gently caress the next guy like a load of sealant where it shouldn't be.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

just honk a buttload of RTV in there and jam 'em in, tape 'em in place till it sets. Nothing says gently caress the next guy like a load of sealant where it shouldn't be.

That won't work with the factory kind that bolt to a fitting welded into the end of the factory bar.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Thanks all, think it's best to send them back and live with the vibes :/

e: now i'm wondering if I could 3d print something, although printed threads aren't usually very strong.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 22, 2022

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
What about the fixings bar end mirrors use? Some thing like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222122805235

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've used bar mirror hardware to affix the OEM bar end weights to my aftermarket bars. Works fine.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Okay so my front brakes are hosed. Felt some sort of odd rolling resistance before setting off the other day and after checking tonight I'm glad I didn't put it off further.

05 FZ6

The one pair of pads from the right caliper barely even look worn, where the left caliper pads are not only uneven between the pad pair, but front to back is very uneven as well.

What do? Is this caliper rebuild or replacement time?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

metallicaeg posted:

Okay so my front brakes are hosed. Felt some sort of odd rolling resistance before setting off the other day and after checking tonight I'm glad I didn't put it off further.

05 FZ6

The one pair of pads from the right caliper barely even look worn, where the left caliper pads are not only uneven between the pad pair, but front to back is very uneven as well.

What do? Is this caliper rebuild or replacement time?

You have a sticking piston. You can try to rebuild and inspect the piston for wear. If its really clean and maybe just the boot/seals are bad, replacing the seal might help. If the piston is pitted/rusty/scratched then you might want to just replace unless you enjoy taking your brakes apart over and over again only to replace later on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Iirc the fz6 has sliding calipers, that type of asymmetry is usually stuck slider pins that you can fix without having to violate the hydraulic system.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Iirc the fz6 has sliding calipers, that type of asymmetry is usually stuck slider pins that you can fix without having to violate the hydraulic system.

The pins seemed to move/slide just fine after loosening them up, would you recommend new pads and just a new grease of the pins? The rubber boots seem intact as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

metallicaeg posted:

The pins seemed to move/slide just fine after loosening them up, would you recommend new pads and just a new grease of the pins? The rubber boots seem intact as well.

I would wire wheel crap off the pins and try to get the crap out of the holes they go into using both chemical and mechanical means, then grease them and see how they work.

But also make sure you don't actually have a hydraulic fault as well.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I would wire wheel crap off the pins and try to get the crap out of the holes they go into using both chemical and mechanical means, then grease them and see how they work.

But also make sure you don't actually have a hydraulic fault as well.

The pins came out clean with nothing more than a bit of extra grease accumulated at the tips, so that's making me think a piston or two might be at fault. I'll pull the calipers back off tomorrow and see if there's any visual wear to however much of the pistons are exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Take your MC cap off and try pushing the pistons back in using one of the old pads and a g clamp or similar, if one is stuck you'll know about it pretty quick. You usually can't see anything wrong visually from the outside.