Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Pron on VHS posted:

Jim Zorn and Jim Tomsula were shat on a lot immediately as first time coaches. Hackett had that terrible 4th quarter field goal meltdown and seems out of his depth as a head coach.

Zorn and Tomsula both had the odd circumstances they were expected to be coordinators, but became the head coach when nobody else would take the respective jobs.

Zorn got formally hired as offensive coordinator of Washington after Joe Gibbs retired, but before they hired a new coach. After two weeks, with nobody wanting to take the job and be saddled with a guy who'd never been an coordinator before, Dan Snyder deiced to just make him the head coach. Zorn's first year was a mediocre 8-8 and I don't recall much being said about him at the time, but it was the next year when all the heavy talk started, including he got stripped of play calling duties aside from special teams, which lead to this glorious moment:

Tomsula was basically the same thing. After Harbaugh got forced out, it was basically known that the powers that be wanted to keep Tomsula and promote him to defensive coordinator. The chaos in San Francisco at the time with Trent Baalke and Jed York and whatnot was probably the bigger factor in nobody else taking the job. Tomsula was pretty clearly out of his depth from the start, but everyone who followed the NFL knew it was a horrible situation that had fairly little to do with him.

Also he was Carl, and everyone loves Carl.

Hackett, as others have pointed out, had a huge gently caress up in his first game on Monday Night Football. Having the Mannings and Shannon Sharpe all going "what is going on?!" live (I assume Buck and Aikman were similarly questioning the end of that game) can't help, and a week later had more fuckups (Which Red Zone showed as well), all while having Russell Wilson. Obviously, that stuff is still very fresh in everyone's memory, but they were completely baffling and I don't think anyone expected gently caress ups like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i don't care how bad hackett has been, meyer last year was legendarily bad and it's going to take an act of god to top that

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

kidcoelacanth posted:

i don't care how bad hackett has been, meyer last year was legendarily bad and it's going to take an act of god to top that

Kinda agree. Hackett might be overmatched on gameday, but he probably has enough experience in the NFL to run a professional coaching staff. The stuff I read about what happened Monday thru Saturday at the Jags facility is crazy. Meyers did gently caress all to coach up his team and prepare them. The loving guy didn't know jack poo poo about his own players.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Simplex posted:

The fancy stats seem to like the Broncos offense for some reason, but they haven't been terribly efficient or effective. There's little evidence of any kind of improvement over Pat Shurmur despite having Russell Wilson instead of Drew Lock or Teddy B.

its because the fancy stats are all fake and made up to justify biases, like the idea that Russell Wilson is still good

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

yeah, Hackett seems to suck in a normal way, like say, Freddie Kitchens unprepared for the role.

Urban Meyer has to be compared to like... I dunno, like a natural disaster

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Remember when Urban wanted Lawrence and Pitts? Like every other team just hadn't considered drafting all the top prospects?

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Kalli posted:

yeah, Hackett seems to suck in a normal way, like say, Freddie Kitchens unprepared for the role.

Urban Meyer has to be compared to like... I dunno, like a natural disaster

No one will (likely) write a book about Hackett's year even if he's fired after one.

I have to imagine there are multiple Urban books in the works.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Remember when Urban wanted Lawrence and Pitts? Like every other team just hadn't considered drafting all the top prospects?

lol I forgot about that and now I'm smiling and laughing ty

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Woozie66 posted:

No one will (likely) write a book about Hackett's year even if he's fired after one.

I have to imagine there are multiple Urban books in the works.

I wanna workshop that title.

Below the Belt: the Urban Meyer Story

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
How long do you think it'll be before we get another coach as hilariously awful as Urban? 10 years? 15?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah Hackett doesn't have the extracurricular excitement that managed to make Meyer such an incredible disaster, but I have never seen anyone catch as much (deserved) poo poo for gameday decisions so quickly as he has.

And Bobby Petrino was 2007, so fifteen more years sounds right.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Petrino wasnt urban lvl horrible, he just read the room and handled it like a college coach. Vick was suspended and he wasn’t winning poo poo with leftwich or Harrington.

Also Jerry Jones probably bribed him to go to Arkansas.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

How long do you think it'll be before we get another coach as hilariously awful as Urban? 10 years? 15?

Steve Belichick has been coaching for 10 years under a future hall of famer. Kids got bloodlines to.

5 years or less.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Nathaniel Hackett is doing such bafflingly dumb things - dumb things we've never seen before - that he could only get better from here, right? He just needs more experience, right?

I recall talking myself gestating through these points when first year head coach Jason Garrett iced his own kicker.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Steve Belichick has been coaching for 10 years under a future hall of famer. Kids got bloodlines to.

5 years or less.

What franchise can you see handing the whole thing over to Steve?

Probably the Jets.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Woozie66 posted:

Probably the Jets.

shaddup

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

I curse you with this knowledge of the truth: Woody Johnson is selling the team. Tom Brady is looking to get in to ownership. Tom will get stake financing through a kraft owned shell on the condition that he hire Steve to get him the gently caress out of the patriots. Just for a year, basically a head coach in name only, but it is the truth I say.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Phobeste posted:

I curse you with this knowledge of the truth: Woody Johnson is selling the team. Tom Brady is looking to get in to ownership. Tom will get stake financing through a kraft owned shell on the condition that he hire Steve to get him the gently caress out of the patriots. Just for a year, basically a head coach in name only, but it is the truth I say.

The fan reaction to the Jets being sold to Brady would be something.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Woozie66 posted:

Probably the Jets.

Washington and Cleveland are dumb enough to do something like that. Probably Houston too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fartknocker posted:

Washington and Cleveland are dumb enough to do something like that. Probably Houston too.
I doubt he's jesusy enough for the current Texans regime to hire him.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mcmagic posted:

They would likely embrace it. They just want to feel like winners for once.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

They would likely embrace it. They just want to feel like winners for once.

You are very wrong

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

mcmagic posted:

Tom Brady, not content with owning the Jets on the field, getting to them entirely. That sounds delicious.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

whoever hires Steve Belichick is my 2nd favorite team immediately

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

epic bacon posted:

whoever hires Steve Belichick is my 2nd favorite team immediately

Bill retires, and as a favor Kraft promotes Steve to HC. Steve keeps Patricia as OC and names Judge DC.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mega64 posted:

Bill retires, and as a favor Kraft promotes Steve to HC. Steve keeps Patricia as OC and names Judge DC.

I’m under the impression that Kraft is in no mood to do Belichick any favors these days…

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Docjowles posted:

I’m sure it’s also exacerbated by being a hugely hyped game on MNF week one. Everyone saw him melt down in prime time and piss away what should have been a layup win. And if they didn’t see it live, they sure saw it dominating twitter and all NFL content the next few days. Maybe if it was a random 1pm Sunday game it wouldn’t have completely taken over the discourse.

Not to discount what a boneheaded decision it was to kick there, but 4th and 5 from the 46 yard line with a minute on the clock is hardly a layup win.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

Not to discount what a boneheaded decision it was to kick there, but 4th and 5 from the 46 yard line with a minute on the clock is hardly a layup win.

I meant the perception of the matchup pre-game was a layup win for the Broncos. Most everyone expected Russ to roast the Geno Seahawks.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Oh, gotcha

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I would take Hackett over Rhule.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

zimbomonkey posted:

Y'know what, I was against the idea at first glance, but on second thought I'd take losing from hilariously awful play calling over the dreary wet farts Rhule's given us for years now. Hell, Hackett might learn better over a season, we know Rhule won't

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

Rhule may get fired mid season and at worse black Monday. Hackett might survive by virtue of being a 1st year coach

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Yes, Hackett to me is at least capable of leading a team that is capable of playing football to their talent level. Rhule's team is far far worse than the sum of its parts.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Rhule may get fired mid season and at worse black Monday. Hackett might survive by virtue of being a 1st year coach

I meant as the coach of a team, not first one fired. I would rather have Hackett

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Like there is probably a position you could create on staff to mitigate Hackett's issues and it would make his teams reasonably good. To make Matt Rhule's teams good you need to fire Matt Rhule

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

That's a lot of unearned optimism for Hackett.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

I meant as the coach of a team, not first one fired. I would rather have Hackett

I was more curling the monkeys paw there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Simplex posted:

Agreed.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Simplex posted:

I am a broken man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah I'm at a loss at the moment. I can't see who Tepper would even go after at this point and poo poo - who knows about the crop of QBs coming out and who'll be available. Unless he wants to give Payton a saudi's ransom to come out of retirement the idea of another coaching search after we interviewed Fat Mike last time makes me cringe.