Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Will Powers and Jack Hammer, huh? :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
24 may be a granpa by anime standards, but it's still amazing prodigy by real lawyer standards. Phoenix would have to have skipped a couple grades to have passed the bar by 24. The game is just trying to find a compromise.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

wologar posted:

Will Powers and Jack Hammer, huh? :heysexy:

I love that the show takes place in new old Tokyo.

Also the names in this case. :D

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ah, the Steel Samurai, warrior of Neo Olde Tokyo :allears:
By the way, can someone explain the evil magistrate thing? Is it the Japanese equivalent to a corrupt baron/count/generic noble or the Sheriff of Nottingham?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Omobono posted:

By the way, can someone explain the evil magistrate thing? Is it the Japanese equivalent to a corrupt baron/count/generic noble or the Sheriff of Nottingham?
Basically, yeah.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I've seen characters named Jack Hammer outside this game. Haven't seen any other pun-named characters named Will Powers, just ones named Max Powers.

Steel Samurai looks like a pretty cool show. I say this as someone who grew up watching Ultraman, Robocop, and TMNT.

This case might seem silly at first, but I bet it gets serious real fast.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

mr_stibbons posted:

24 may be a granpa by anime standards, but it's still amazing prodigy by real lawyer standards. Phoenix would have to have skipped a couple grades to have passed the bar by 24. The game is just trying to find a compromise.

The real question is: will it lean into the anime side, or the lawyer side?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The only old lawyers we've met are Winston Payne, Grodyburger, and I suppose the Judge. The game doesn't have a lot of respect for people who outlive their anime golden years and still practice laws, though I guess Grodyburger might be a shark outside of cases that he isn't being blackmailed to fail.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Trying to compare any part of the Phoenix Wright legal system to the real world is an exercise in futility, of course.

But for reference, in Japan, the average age to pass the bar exam is 28, it is considered the hardest bar exam in the world. This is followed by a one year supervised internship, which earns you the right to call yourself a lawyer (bengoshi) and wear the sunflower lapel pin (yes, Phoenix's badge is a real thing Japanese lawyers wear), and then you can practice as a lawyer. It is permitted to take the bar exam without going to law school, but you have to pass a strict qualifying exam (with a 3% passing rate) first.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

As someone in their 20s who stills gets excited about Power Rangers, I can 100% see where Maya is coming from.

comicfan92
Aug 30, 2018

DKII posted:

The spear was found "stuck through the body", and police only "believe" it was the murder weapon? :rolleyes:

To be fair, there are times where the killer might try to hide the actual murder method (because it might incriminate them specifically) by providing a more "obvious" murder weapon, so it's understandable that they don't want to verbally commit until the autopsy is done at least.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

comicfan92 posted:

To be fair, there are times where the killer might try to hide the actual murder method (because it might incriminate them specifically) by providing a more "obvious" murder weapon, so it's understandable that they don't want to verbally commit until the autopsy is done at least.

Besides, you have to leave some wiggle room just in case Edgeworth wants you to make some "edits" to the official report.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Reports of a man dieing during a sentai involved spearing

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The former is just standard journalistic practice. It's bad practice claim something happened while it's still under investigation, so you add qualifiers like "allegedly" or "according to witnesses." Sometimes initial report turns out to be wrong, and it is fair to indicate when that could be the case.

"Officer-involved shooting" and its compatriot, the vague passive voice, are a whole separate thing where the description of events is technically accurate, but presented in a way that clearly tries to avoid or overlook details. Those are weasel words, but qualifying a statement is not necessarily weaselly on its own.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 24, 2022

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Mostly, yeah, you don't want to definitively make any statement that you haven't personally observed. It helps to keep you safe from libel if what you present turns out to not be accurate. All you have to say is "I'm just reporting what someone else said. Blame them, not me."

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Omobono posted:

It might have been just (dai)maō in Japanese, which gets translated a whole bunch of different ways in English depending on the setting and context. Probably the straightest you've ever seen is "King of Evil" for Ganon in Zelda, or like Overlord in Disgaea.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Looked it up, it's アクダイカーン (Akudaikaan) in Japanese. Daikan is the word for a local governor/magistrate in the Edo period, and aku is usually translated as evil.

So Evil Magistrate is pretty much on-the-dot.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Also, magistrates aren't just a Japanese position. It's a low level judge responsible for minor level legal offenses and setting up bigger cases.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hell, we have magistrates in the US but they're mostly for civil arbitration as I understand it. Most tv "judges" are actually legal magistrates.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So Phoenix is defending someone for killing Judge Jeanine? :ohdear:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Eeeeeevil judge jeanine.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Eeeeeevil judge jeanine.

So regular Judge Jeanine.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

No update tonight; I'm going to switch to a Monday/Friday update schedule for this episode, as with the school year starting back up I've gotten a bit busier. At least unless/until I get more of a backlog built up again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

DKII posted:

No update tonight; I'm going to switch to a Monday/Friday update schedule for this episode, as with the school year starting back up I've gotten a bit busier. At least unless/until I get more of a backlog built up again.

Take your time, chief - this is supposed to be fun for you, not a chore.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Look, there's been a sum total of 1 text LP that I'm aware of that survived the first game, and the one for the following game didn't survive the second.

Take all the breaks you need.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 40: Episode 3, Day 1, Investigation: Gentle Will

Music: Investigation - Opening

Time to investigate! Maya looks like she's about to explode if we don't get to it, but let's poke around the office again first. Unlike the first couple episodes, we start off here having no idea who the killer is or even really what happened. We have the name of the victim, the name of our client, and the apparent murder weapon, and that's about it. So we're going to need every little detail we can get!

Look a painting was an important plot detail last time so I'm going to keep examining every little thing in here.

Mia's favorite potted plant.

The plant survived the scuffle in the office a month ago, now it just has to survive Maya's care and attention.

A poster of an old movie that Mia liked.

I was thinking I should go see it myself.

:doh:

Mia's desk.

Actually... it's my desk now.

Sitting here always makes me feel like a professional.

Yay, Phoenix is no longer stuck at the reception desk! And we know Phoenix is already cool with Mia's ghost haunting him, so we don't even care that a murder took place in here!

There's a horrendous amount of legal books here.

You haven't caught up on it yet? You haven't had a case in over a month!

Ah, the infamous window.

It's a nice day outside.

The hotel across the way is always full these days.

Hi bellboy! You turned out to be one of the least-crazy people in the episode!

Well not much to really see in what is now our office. We also start off with our badge as our only evidence again. Might as well show it off.

What about this?

Why, yes, how could you tell? Is it the fact that I shove it in the face of everyone I meet, often multiple times?

(My poor, poor ego...)

Just two topics here, but I'm predicting that both will boil down to "hurry up and go to the detention center already!"

Well, what should we do?

We have to get down to the detention center and meet the Steel Samurai!

(Does she want to investigate this case of just do some sightseeing, I wonder?)

(My money's on sightseeing.)

That's a good point. Maya how did you even get in touch with this guy? He is going to be paying us, right? :ohdear:

Well no kidding.

Just admit it: you don't have a clue what happened.

All right, all right, let's get going.

Let's go meet our new client!

Music: Silence

Sound: Realization

Is that a man or a lion? He's huge.

Umm... Is that guy really him?

Does he talk?

Um, maybe I shouldn't be saying this...

Come on now, just because he looks like a wild animal...

Whoa whoa whoa! What are you saying!?

See, he's just a cuddly teddy bear.

Sound: Light Bulb

Something wrong...?

(This is getting off to a great start.)

The silly light bulb sound effect keeps going off for each of Maya's lines here. I think she's in shock.

No, it's okay. This is the real me.

I decided I would never show my face in public until the job was over.

Ugh. This is going to be a mistaken identity case, isn't it?

Will's tissue-holding talking animation is a little weird. It keeps resetting to his neutral pose at the end. He doesn't actually have an animation for either talking out of that neutral pose, or resting in his tissue-holding pose.

I guess it didn't matter.

So much for dreams.

*sniff* Uwaaah!

This guy seems more like Larry Butz with every line out of his mouth.

What?

Yeah.

Music: Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy

Right, well, let's see if we can figure out what's going on here.

But first let's poke at this static security guard again.

This guard monitors the visitor's room.

He seems frozen in awe of Will Powers.

Hey pal, we're an attorney, you want one?

Um, here.

I... I see.

I mean, he plays a costumed character on a kid's show, so probably not?

Okay, let's talk to the guy.

Maybe you could start by telling us what happened.

Y-yes. Of course.

:ughh: Actors! :argh:

The cast had come down to Global Studios for a run-through.

We went through a few action sequences at 10:00 that morning.

But when 5:00 came around, and the staff gathered at the studio...

The Evil Magistrate was found lying in a crumpled heap near the set.

They took off his mask...

Sound: Shock 2

The sound comes in right as the last word is revealed there. Not a lot of mess for having a hole in his chest...

He had been expertly skewered with the Samurai Spear.

Yes, it's a long spear that I... that the Steel Samurai uses as a weapon.

New topic, but let's keep moving on down the list...

Maybe you could explain to me just what "the Steel Samurai" is.

Sound: Whack

What, that's a perfectly reasonable question!

I-I'm sorry, sir, I apologize for my partner!

He's new to this, and a bit OUT OF TOUCH with the world.

Hey! Who's "new to this"!?

No, it's alright, really.

He walks the streets of Neo Olde Tokyo...

Of course, he never really defeats the Evil Magistrate.

Although...

I guess he did defeat him this time...

*sniff* Uwaaah!

I-I see.

What, you've never heard of New-Old-City?

Now, where were you on the day of the murder?

Well, that morning I came to the studios at 9:00.

Rehearsal was to begin at 5:00, but I was a little tired.

When I woke up, it was after 5:00! I was late for the rehearsal!

They arrested me on the spot, and brought me here.

So, no alibi. And no real information on a 5-hour window leading up to the murder, either. Fantastic.

(So he was sleeping the entire afternoon of the murder?)

(Some action hero!)

What will the kids think? *sniff*

Right... Global Studios. I'll draw you a map.

I kind of love the interplay we get from Maya tagging along with us.

Even if she has an ulterior motive.

The start of this episode is pretty linear, so no real options on where to go yet. Let's head for the studio!

quote:

Heading back to our office let's us talk to Maya again. The topics are still checked off, but last time she talked about the Detention Center, and we've already been there, so let's see what she says instead when asking her "What to do"...

Music: Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme

Well, what should we do?

Sitting around here won't get us anywhere, that's for sure.

The studio! We should go to the studio! I'm sure we could find some clues there!

(Does she want to investigate this case of just do some sightseeing, I wonder?)

(My money's on sightseeing.)

Only Maya's lines are actually different there. Well, the music is different, too, switching to Maya's theme. Anyway, maybe we can keep using her for hints as we go along.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Maya just brightens the whole game up. She's so great.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A lot of the humour in Phoenix Wright comes from the protagonist being a sarcastic straight man to the goofy anime antics around him, so pairing him up with a goofy anime sidekick just means we get more of that and it rules.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Actually, if you really wanted to get literal, Neo Olde Tokyo would be the New-Old-East-Capital :eng101:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SirSamVimes posted:

A lot of the humour in Phoenix Wright comes from the protagonist being a sarcastic straight man to the goofy anime antics around him, so pairing him up with a goofy anime sidekick just means we get more of that and it rules.

Honestly, the default unit of Ace Attorney is the comedy duo.

• Phoenix is the straight man to the partner's funnyman... ditto the wacky witnesses and others.
• The prosecutor is the straight man to Phoenix's funnyman, as he does ridiculous antics in the courtroom to keep in the trial.

And so on. The roles trade back and forth depending on circumstance.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Quackles posted:

Honestly, the default unit of Ace Attorney is the comedy duo.

• Phoenix is the straight man to the partner's funnyman... ditto the wacky witnesses and others.
• The prosecutor is the straight man to Phoenix's funnyman, as he does ridiculous antics in the courtroom to keep in the trial.

And so on. The roles trade back and forth depending on circumstance.

This is, of course, a well known and beloved Manzai comedic style in Japan, often known in the West as the Boke and Tsukkomi routine. Abbot and Costello are probably the closest we've have to this in America.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Will Powers kinda resembles Hugh Jackman.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

achtungnight posted:

Will Powers kinda resembles Hugh Jackman.
Which is honestly a pretty Ace Attorney-ish name.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 27, 2022

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can never quite forgive Maya for standing in judgement of harmless little lion man like that.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 41: Episode 3, Day 1, Investigation: Old Bag

We have arrived at the studio! Well, the main gate, anyway.

Music: The Steel Samurai

I really enjoy the new "Steel Samurai" track we get to hear everywhere in this episode.

Awesome! Aren't you excited!?

Sound: Stab

Never mind, some old lady is here to spoil the mood. And no, she didn't actually stab us, that effect just has a weird name. I think. Wait, does that image say her name is literally "Oldbag", or is that supposed to be a description of her?

Sound: Damage 2

O-oh... s-sorry!

W-we're, um, lawyers.

We?

And it's my job to make sure that gawkers like you stay OUT.

Gawkers! Sightseers! Tourists!!!

Ms Old Bag has an evil smirk to her here. We don't actually know who the killer is for once, so I'm putting everyone we meet on the suspect list. Anyway, the next few lines of dialogue scroll quickly without waiting for us. It appears Oldbag is caught up in a rant. I'll jam all the lines together for effect:

Youths today! Something horrible happens and all you can think of is sightseeing. Wasting your time at a place like this. Don't you have jobs you should be doing?

Or do lawyers not work like the rest of us? Maybe I should become a lawyer too. Sounds like a life of easo to me no work just loafing around all day as you please. Well when

I was young things were a mite different,

mind you we didn't prance around in strange hippie clothes.

What are the youths coming to these days my own son hasn't called in...

Hm what oh sorry nodded off there.

Will I grow up to be lik her? Please say "no."

Probably not what she wanted to hear. Oh well.

Sound: Super Shock

Music: Investigation - Opening

I don't know that we'll find anything at the entrance to the studio, but might as well look around.

The main entrance to the studio.

I guess we snuck in the gate before Oldbag caught us?

Looks like a studio van.

They probably use it to carry around film equipment.

Looks suspicious, I want to poke around inside but no luck.

An overhead map of the studios.

Right from here is the Employee Area.

To the left are the actual film studios.

My left or your left? Eh, whatever.

The computer that runs the studio security cameras.

Now that looks promising, maybe we can find some evidence there.

:stare:

The security guard station.

I can see the computer that runs the security cameras.

Maybe we can bribe her with some candy later.

Look lady, we're a lawyer, let us in!

What's that? You giving that to me?

(Absolutely not!)

Okay, enough fooling around, let's talk to the old bag.

So, what do you do here at the studios?

At Global Studios, we make children's dreams come true!

Wo... wow.

This place has really gone downhill, you know?

But 10 years ago, now that was a studio of dreams!

Hammer was a big star back then too, he was...

Hammer...?

The victim, dummy!

The Evil Magistrate!

Okay, we got some background on the victim at least. He used to be a star and fell off recently. Might be something to dig at there.

Can you tell me about Mr. Will Powers?

He's not a bad kid, but don't be fooled by his mask!

He didn't look that bad, did he?

Little old ladies watching would lose their lunch!

:(

No one thought he was capable of doing what he did to poor Jack Hammer...

Wait a minute. Our client is Willpower and the victim is Jackhammer? That's weird. Our big muscly client looks more the Jackhammer to me, anyway.

How do I know? I know everything! That's my job.

Well, security lady is probably a good source of evidence, but let's ask about the victim first.

What kind of person was Jack Hammer?

What "kind of person"? Oh... if you only knew!

Hey, there's our first real image of the victim.

(Should I have heard of that...?)

But... there was an accident during filming five years ago.

He got an unlucky break after that.

Reduced to playing the villain on a children's program!

Seems like Mr. Hammer was rather down on his luck and who knows what shady elements he might have gotten tangled up with to try and recover his former lifestyle.

Why are you so certain Mr. Powers is the killer?

I was standing right here yesterday, I was.

Now the studio where the murder took place is to the left here.

Only one person went by here between 1:00 and 2:30, when the murder took place!

And... that person was Mr. Powers?

Yes. I saw him!

But Mr. Powers says he was sleeping in his dressing room.

But he was the only one that walked by.

Did she see Mr. Powers, or did she see someone in the Steel Samurai costume?

He's the killer, you can bet your biscuits on it.

Once we've hit all the topics, we unlock the next scene.

Isn't it about time for you to be heading home?

There's nothing to see here. Move along.

Um, actually, we're here at Mr. Powers's request.

Show me a "letter of request."

Wait, you're already sending us to backtrack? Lame.

I guess we'll look at the new profiles while we're here. There's our client. He's actually younger than Phoenix!

Random security lady, Ms. Oldbag.

And our victim, the Jackhammer. I really hope that was his nickname when he was an action star.

Anyway, we rush back over to the detention center to get Mr. Powers to agree for us to formally represent him.

They all think I did it, don't they?

N-no, not at all! Isn't that right, Nick?

*sniff*

We've got some more questions for our client now.

Sound: Stab

Earlier, you said that you were sleeping in your dressing room after lunch.

Yes. Like a baby.

But the security lady says she saw you that day.

Sound: Objection

Sound: Stab 2

These are metaphorical stabs I guess, cutting Mr. Powers more emotionally than physically.

I... I really don't know what to say! I was sleeping, I promise!

I'm new to this lawyer business, and I need every advantage I can get.

I know... I-I'm sorry. *sniff*

But, I swear to you on my momma's grave, I was sleeping.

Great, Phoenix, now you made him cry.

That's my initial wild guess here. Someone snuck into his trailer and took the costume, and the security lady figured no one else would be wearing it. Maybe our client was even drugged to make sure he'd sleep through the whole thing!

(What did she see...? He doesn't seem to be lying.)

Oh, the security lady?

Y-yes... actually, she's said the same thing to me before.

She sucks up to all the bigwigs at the studio...

But let her see you stumble once and she'll never let up on you.

Sound: Whoops

Of c-course.

Sound: Select Jingle

Finally, some evidence! Kind of.

(I just hope this will get me past that security lady.)

Of course, the first thing to do with new evidence is shove it back in the guy's face.

Show that to the security lady and she should let you in.

We can show it to Maya, too.

Hey, look what I have!

Hey!

You mean Will Powers said we'd need it...?

Yes, the Steel Samurai.

*sigh*

Maya doesn't have any more advice for us, so let's just take our new document back to the security lady.

Hmm...?

Yes, yes. I recognize the bold, childish scrawl.

And just like that we're back to zero evidence again.

Hey now.

Really!

Really?

Anyway, you may pass.

:toot:

No going to the right. That's the Employee Area.

"No one allowed inside, pal" were my instructions.

The good detective told me himself.

Gah Gumshoe is ahead of us again.

Huh?

The map was pretty helpful last episode, I'm sure this one will come in handy somehow.

Gah stop with the scary face lady!

Well, time to go, Nick.

50 cents!

Keep this one in your memory, I have a feeling we won't use it for a long time. No one we can currently talk to has a special reaction to it, but we do get to see the "don't care" dialogue for Will and Maya now.

I-I'm sorry.

I'm sure that's very important and all.

I just don't see what it has to do with my problem.

What about this?

We actually can't go directly to the new location from anywhere other than the main gate. Makes logical sense, and gives the game a way to restrict our movements more easily.

Next time, we'll actually head inside the studio!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ah, it's the old bag. :allears:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hard to believe that woman didn't change her name, especially in her younger years, or has she always looked like a hag?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

achtungnight posted:

Hard to believe that woman didn't change her name, especially in her younger years, or has she always looked like a hag?

Let's be honest, Maya is almost certainly in charge of all of the evidence and profiles, and Phoenix probably isn't listening anyway. She probably just wrote down "old bag" and Phoenix goes along with it.

Leraika posted:

Ah, it's the old bag. :allears:

The correct reaction. Definitely one of my favorite characters in a series with an abundance of fun characters.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

This case and these names. I love this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
But the map says the Employee Area is to the left as you come in the gate?

It's right on the map, sure, but...