Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Excellent post by David Rosenberg "the wrong sort of Jew"

https://rebellion602.wordpress.com/2022/09/23/why-i-wont-park-my-anger-the-royals-the-jews-the-holocaust/

quote:

Why I won’t park my anger – the royals, the Jews, the Holocaust

SEPTEMBER 23, 2022 / DAVESREBELLION

Queen Elizabeth’s funeral has now taken place. The extraordinary 10 days of state-sanctioned mourning, when there were alarming infringements of civil liberties, have ended. I restricted myself to just a few comments on social media during that period, not out of any deference to the Queen or the institution of monarchy, and only partly from a wish not to unnecessarily antagonise people who genuinely felt a deep loss that they wanted to express. Most of all it was from my profound sense of how difficult it was for alternative views on this anachronistic hereditary institution of an unelected Head of State to get any hearing at all against the tidal wave of monarchist propaganda.

etc

Page snipe:

The term for a person who is for intents and purposes, "normal."
They may not be totally cool or amazing, but are definately NOT the social outcasts that its opposite, 197, refers to.

Antonym: 197

Comes from the course numbers of Washington University physics; 117 is general physics and 197 is "death physics" that attracts only the chess-club type.
"Johnny is definately a 117."

"Sarah likes math but she is cool too, she's more 117 than 197."

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

'117 is an error code that can be seen via the Event Viewer logs after a system crash on Windows systems.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

6 years ago to this day apparently that the arch piss-boiler himself, your absolute boy Jermiminy Crombly was elected leader of the Labour party and began charging up the heart attack gun to take out Rafael Behr.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

keep punching joe posted:

Please can people start using spoiler tags and content warnings when posting Prince Charles fingers.

His Camilla-Fillers

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Bejaysus don't startle me like that! I thought it was going to be Mark Kermode, who is a comrade, suddenly turning into a landlord oval office. Have had too many people I like/admire turn out to be total shits recently.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

franco posted:

Bejaysus don't startle me like that! I thought it was going to be Mark Kermode, who is a comrade, suddenly turning into a landlord oval office. Have had too many people I like/admire turn out to be total shits recently.

That was my exact reaction too, lol. Like I genuinely softly said out loud, 'oh NO...'

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

franco posted:

Mark Kermode’s review of Sex and the City 2 is maybe the high point I’ve seen of his comradeship. Glorious.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HopperUK posted:

My dad's wake was great. All his ten surviving siblings came from Ireland and Canada and there was music and booze and kids running about and the craic was what he would have loved.

Also his brother looks just like him and I saw about three different people have tiny panics before realising.

Unless it's something like a child dying i've found more laughter than crying at a wake, haven't been to one that had booze since i was a kid though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you not normally hold them in a function room at a pub? How would you stop there being alcohol?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Presumably you ask them not to serve any

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

They're often in someone's home because the idea is that you keep watch/vigil over the body. So the family can have some say over whether people drink or not I guess.
I've only been to one super traditional wake with the body in the house though. Others have been in the home of the dead person but they've been in the funeral home.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

The queue/queen stuff for a lot of people was a vessel to express their grief at how poo poo things are without realising that's what they were doing imho

My personal theory was that you joined it if you knew in your heart you'd done something very bad you needed atoning for.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's not a wake if you're not hanging out with the corpse, but it can still be a right laugh

E: no, The Queue does not count as a wake :colbert:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

massive spider posted:

My personal theory was that you joined it if you knew in your heart you'd done something very bad you needed atoning for.

"This is my queue! This queue was made for me!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

lilljonas posted:

Mark Kermode’s review of Sex and the City 2 is maybe the high point I’ve seen of his comradeship. Glorious.

Absolutely. Posting it here because it has to be see to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHeQeHstrsc

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Quick question about the COVID booster thing, is there a distinction between “immuno-comprised” and “severely immuno-compromised” when I go to book it?

Basically for the vaccinations last year I was in the group that got a text message invitation to an earlier session thanks to my coeliac disease, which is an immune-related condition but I wouldn’t say is “severe” in that regard. Does getting those texts mean I’m also eligible to book a booster now or is it only for a more severely compromised group?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Do you not normally hold them in a function room at a pub? How would you stop there being alcohol?

Most wakes here take place in the deceased's home.

edit: With drink driving laws and a decrease in alcohol consumption a lot of people don't bother drinking and sometimes they will specifically say that it's a "dry wake" (no booze)... especially if the deceased was teetotal.

edit2: beaten like the russian army.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 24, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

Quick question about the COVID booster thing, is there a distinction between “immuno-comprised” and “severely immuno-compromised” when I go to book it?

Basically for the vaccinations last year I was in the group that got a text message invitation to an earlier session thanks to my coeliac disease, which is an immune-related condition but I wouldn’t say is “severe” in that regard. Does getting those texts mean I’m also eligible to book a booster now or is it only for a more severely compromised group?

I got one telling me to book and I wouldn't describe myself as immunocompromised, just fat, so I assume they are offering them to a lot of people?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dabir posted:

My mum actually met and hung around with Sarah Jessica Parker, and said shes a completely dead on person.
Got a pic of them both on a mug for her birthday.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Clarence House has released an 'informal' (lol) picture of our 'beloved' king at 'work'

Zoom.... enhance...

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 24, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

TACD posted:

Honestly no idea! If you'd been invited before then you'd probably be eligible again, but I don't know for sure. My partner has rheumatoid arthritis and is on immunosuppressants so she's had, I think, three primary and a booster, so it seems obvious she's still eligible.

What I would say is that there's likely to be significant surplus in supply since no-one seems bothered about getting it. Cos covid's over. So don't feel guilty about fudging it a little

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Good enough for me, I’ve booked a session and I guess I’ll see if they tell me to gently caress off 👍🏻

There’s also an immunocompromised lass at work waiting for a text to get a booster so I’ll let her know it’s basically book it yourself this time around

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

"Look, subjects! Your King can in fact be in the same room as a pen without incident. Why he lasted an entire ten seconds here before realising what he was holding and flying into a blind rage, killing five nearby pleblians. All is well."

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m of the age where I am attending funerals of my parents’ generation regularly and it’s usually like this: there’s a ceremony (religious or not according to taste) where everyone gets a bit tearful and says goodbye to the deceased, then you stand around a bit, then you hit up the pub and all get drunk and open up about missing them and say nice things to more or less total strangers. Then at the end of it it’s a bit better.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Angepain posted:

"Look, subjects! Your King can in fact be in the same room as a pen without incident. Why he lasted an entire ten seconds here before realising what he was holding and flying into a blind rage, killing five nearby pleblians. All is well."

He signs his name like Trump

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 24, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

He signs his name like Trump

Nobody who signs their name a lot signs it legibly. Terry Pratchett used to remark that as he got more popular his signature grew more scribbly and anticipated that eventually it would become a single straight line.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

Nobody who signs their name a lot signs it legibly. Terry Pratchett used to remark that as he got more popular his signature grew more scribbly and anticipated that eventually it would become a single straight line.

It's more about the size and the boldness. My signature is illegible, but I don't sign it in a way that makes it look like it's been signed using a huge felt marker.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

fuctifino posted:

Clarence House has released an 'informal' (lol) picture of our 'beloved' king at 'work'

Zoom.... enhance...

Don't lie, these are screenshots from Little Nightmares 3

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
So, can Truss/Kwarteng claim to have an electoral mandate for this type of budget based on the 2019 GE?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dabir posted:

This actually kind of makes me want to watch it

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Halisnacks posted:

So, can Truss/Kwarteng claim to have an electoral mandate for this type of budget based on the 2019 GE?

It doesn't loving matter

There is no mechanism to hold them to manifesto promises

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lmao as if campaign promises matter

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Scientastic posted:

This actually kind of makes me want to watch it

https://www.thestranger.com/film/2010/05/27/4132715/burkas-and-birkins is the article he mentions at the end. It looks more at the other side of the film. Good read too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Halisnacks posted:

In a legal sense, which is all that matters, yes. The Tories are the largest party, if their MPs support it because , which they will, then they have the mandate. Because if a government loses a supply vote then the expectation in the Westminster system is they will have to resign & call for an election & no Tory MPs wants an election as we head into a winter of freezing to death, they will support it despite some of them having severe doubts.

Morally? Probably not but honestly what the gently caress do you expect when you vote for the Tories?

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

TACD posted:

Good enough for me, I’ve booked a session and I guess I’ll see if they tell me to gently caress off 👍🏻

There’s also an immunocompromised lass at work waiting for a text to get a booster so I’ll let her know it’s basically book it yourself this time around

I haven't had an invite, and just rocked up with my immunocompromised wife and they just checked my last booster date and jabbed me (flu too). There should be walk-in places as well.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1573594346531741697?s=19

The Prime Minister likes it Raw and dry like pushing beef jerky through sandpaper.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that tory condoms should be banned as a favour to everyone tbh.

On the one hand more tories, on the other hand I cannot imagine a bigger turnoff.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Imagine you hook up with a guy and he takes you back to his place and you say 'babe, protection' and then he pulls out one of those

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They don't need them seeing Kwarteng can't shag anything with a pulse now.

Rarity posted:

Imagine you hook up with a guy and he takes you back to his place and you say 'babe, protection' and then he pulls out one of those

Hmmm, Norman Tebbitt flavoured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
We've gone from old grey men as Prime ministers to Sasha Grey women.