Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Eric Bienemy would probably be an upgrade, if any team was actually willing to give him a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ironic Twist posted:

Eric Bienemy would probably be an upgrade, if any team was actually willing to give him a shot

I'm not sure exactly how much or little he's doing it, but I've noticed Bienemy calling plays more often in the first couple of games.

I haven't paid a ton of attention to that, maybe he's just calling the scripted plays and then Andy takes over, but I have seen him talking to Mahomes in that window of the playclock a lot more than I remember.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I get the Bienemy hype and he might be legit but Mahomes kind of jumped into a tailor made system under Reid that he was familiar with and ready for.

He probably deserves a chunk of the credit but still.

I wanted Pederson last year when he was coming back but the Jags finally made a smart decision.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I imagine tepper will be going with a more experienced hand with his next hire, assuming he doesn’t let fitterer do it.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

FizFashizzle posted:

I imagine tepper will be going with a more experienced hand with his next hire, assuming he doesn’t let fitterer do it.

Fat Mike is gonna be on the market again!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Simplex posted:

That's a lot of unearned optimism for Hackett.

Think it’s a bit more of rhule making the mystery door more attractive. It could be worse, sure, but it probably won’t be.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Think it’s a bit more of rhule making the mystery door more attractive. It could be worse, sure, but it probably won’t be.

Sometimes all the doors lead to disaster

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Hughmoris posted:

Fair enough. I haven't watched any of the games, just see everyone clowning him after starting 1-1.

Lol keep making posts bud

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tensions in Indy
https://twitter.com/NateAtkins_/status/1573680434440986632?s=20&t=9IPhDcV5Nk8CkOy7OfvTmQ

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
What’s doughy-rear end dipshit Nate Hackett’s ceiling if he had a tan?

Man shouldn’t be in charge of a Subway and he’s walking into a HC job because he’s his daddy’s son and Aaron Rodgers can run an offense by himself. The NFL is a joke.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

What’s doughy-rear end dipshit Nate Hackett’s ceiling if he had a tan?

Man shouldn’t be in charge of a Subway and he’s walking into a HC job because he’s his daddy’s son and Aaron Rodgers can run an offense by himself. The NFL is a joke.

I don't think he can hack it :banjo: :awesomelon: :cheeky:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lest assume Jerry wants to hire Sean Payton for the Cowboys. Payton;s rights are still held by the Saints, so they would would normally work out a trade or such. But could the Saints go full spite mode and say "gently caress you Jerry, Payton has to wind down his entire contract first. No coach for you"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gus is playing his guys instead of Rodgers and every fan knows it and hates it. Rodgers has shown some great flashes and could be a very good CB, and the fact he isn't playing and the team can't stop the pass is really damning to Gus.

This is why I think that if the Colts continue to trend downward, Gus will probably be the first to go as they try and salvage the season.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hey at least he’s acknowledging his shortcomings.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1573757205433794560

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I know nothing about that guy but it is refreshing to see a coach react with something besides circling the wagons and doubling down on whatever he’s being criticized for.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Feels like a "do something or you're gone" move, couldn't be a bigger red flag of danger/hot seat unless he was actually Urban Meyer

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean it also says he realizes he's loving up and has too much on his plate, so is moving things off of it by hiring an old timey vet who knows what to do.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chris James 2 posted:

Feels like a "do something or you're gone" move, couldn't be a bigger red flag of danger/hot seat unless he was actually Urban Meyer

I don’t think it’s this, especially not after two games.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think it’s this, especially not after two games.

Did you watch the two games

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Alaois posted:

Did you watch the two games

I did, but I’m not the guy deciding whether to fire him or not. I’d have never hired him in the first place but the Broncos did and they aren’t going to cut bait after two games (and they won 1 of them), that just doesn’t happen in the NFL.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 24, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

the Broncos did and they aren’t going to cut bait after two games (and they won 1 of them), that just doesn’t happen in the NFL.

Hiring someone to delegate a Significant part of your job you were hired this year to do after two games also just doesn't happen in the NFL. It just happened here though!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Hiring someone to delegate a Significant part of your job you were hired this year to do after two games also just doesn't happen in the NFL. It just happened here though!

A lot of teams have coaches that have specific responsibilities to assist the head coach with game management, specifically things like clock management or situational decision making. The fact that Hackett didn’t have a veteran on his staff to help with this stuff beforehand is a bigger red flag than the fact the he’s hiring one now.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 24, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

In his head-coaching debut against the Seattle Seahawks, Hackett came under scrutiny when the Broncos faced a 4th-and-5 at midfield with over a minute left to play in the fourth quarter. Despite having three timeouts, Hackett decided to let the clock run down to 20 seconds left for a chance at a game-winning 64-yard field goal. The kick by Brandon McManus was wide left as the Broncos lost, 17–16.[10][11] The next day, Hackett expressed regret in his decision, stating “Looking back at it, we definitely should have gone for it.”[12]

Hackett was again criticized for his clock management in the Broncos' week two matchup against the Houston Texans, a game that Denver would go on to win 16–9.[13][14] The Broncos would go on to hire Jerry Rosburg to serve as an assistant to Hackett to help him with game and clock management, beginning with their week three matchup against the San Francisco 49ers.[15]

Name one other time in NFL history where a leader had to divert significant (also basic) decisions of his job to a new assistant after only 14 days on the job himself and it was a positive sign of faith in him or his future. Please

He hosed up. He admitted it. He's working with outside help to correct it going forward. That outside help is needed after half a month on the job isn't a good sign of higher-up confidence in him currently. All of these things can be true

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
If hiring someone to call plays on time, manage the clock and call timeouts is what it takes to unfuck the Broncos and play to their potential, he's loving coach of the year material. The last thing you want to be is not just bad, but double-, triple-, and quadruple-down on stupid.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Chris James 2 posted:

Name one other time in NFL history where a leader had to divert significant (also basic) decisions of his job to a new assistant after only 14 days on the job himself and it was a positive sign of faith in him or his future. Please

He hosed up. He admitted it. He's working with outside help to correct it going forward. That outside help is needed after half a month on the job isn't a good sign of higher-up confidence in him currently. All of these things can be true

Nick Sirianni gave up play calling to his OC and that has worked out pretty well for everyone involved, but that was after 7 weeks not 2

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

aperion posted:

If hiring someone to call plays on time, manage the clock and call timeouts is what it takes to unfuck the Broncos and play to their potential, he's loving coach of the year material. The last thing you want to be is not just bad, but double-, triple-, and quadruple-down on stupid.

Good news, it won’t. Just rearranging chairs on the titanic

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

McVay had to hire a dude whose literal job was to grab him to stop him from doing stupid poo poo in the heat of the moment. It's fine.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Actually, people aren't allowed to learn from their mistakes and grow as humans. Once you do something you must continue to do it forever. It is the Way.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Actually, people aren't allowed to learn from their mistakes and grow as humans. Once you do something you must continue to do it forever. It is the Way.

He's not growing, he's delegating so he doesn't have to deal with the problem anymore.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

McVay had to hire a dude whose literal job was to grab him to stop him from doing stupid poo poo in the heat of the moment. It's fine.

Did he hire a new one? I think the first one turned out to be a sex pest in one of the weirder stories about a random coach I remember.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

a neat cape posted:

He's not growing, he's delegating so he doesn't have to deal with the problem anymore.

In any profession where you are in charge of people learning to delegate and what you can delegate is growth.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Did he hire a new one? I think the first one turned out to be a sex pest in one of the weirder stories about a random coach I remember.

I don't think he ever got a new one, but I mean he needed him early on. Also yeah, that guy got arrested for some kind of sex crime.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Most coaches hire those people at the beginning of the season. It’s also a big stretch from “people within the organization are unhappy” to “this guy is on the verge of being fired and was forced to make this hire to save his job.” It’s also weird to suggest that making a necessary change early is actually worse than making it late. As a first time head coach he should have had this position on his staff at the beginning but doing it now is certainly better than doing it 12 weeks into an already hosed up season. I don’t think he’s a good coach and I don’t think he will turn into one, but this is a silly thing to criticize.

Kalli posted:

McVay also brought in Jedd Fisch after his first season to help with game management because he had some issues during the season.

quote:

“It was really a way of being so heavily involved in offense, streamlining a process for whether you’re challenging something, what do you do, when do you use those time outs,” he said. “And handling some of the situations that come up at the end of the half, at the end of the game. Specifically in those two-minute (scenarios) is when you really need to rely on somebody.

“I’m not smart enough to be able to process all of that. So to be able to have somebody to lean on has been great. Jedd has done an outstanding job, and that certainly isn’t exclusive to just that.”

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 24, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I agree its bad to not be prepared, but its a lot worse to be in a bad situation and try to force of will your way through it when you can just get a little help. Having some experienced dude in the box to call down with advice can't hurt. Everyone was asking during his first two weeks - does he not have someone for this like the rest of the coaches in the NFL or was he ignoring the advice. Turns out he didn't, now he does.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
It’s cool that the idiot moron who has already hosed up in hilarious ways that were entirely preventable if he wasn’t an idiot moron has hired someone to help him not be an idiot moron going forward.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

It’s cool that the idiot moron who has already hosed up in hilarious ways that were entirely preventable if he wasn’t an idiot moron has hired someone to help him not be an idiot moron going forward.

We should all be so lucky to have the chance, tbh.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

We should all be so lucky to have the chance, tbh.

Feel like maybe a Brian Flores type should get the chance instead of another idiot moron failson

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
GM? Yeah it’s owner

Get me someone that’ll ruin our rookie qb whoever he is. I need results.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Feel like maybe a Brian Flores type should get the chance instead of another idiot moron failson

Flores had four different OCs in three years, and four different O-Line coaches, if you want to talk about guys who kept making bad hiring decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Flores had four different OCs in three years, and four different O-Line coaches, if you want to talk about guys who kept making bad hiring decisions.

He was also fired for winning to much