Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

good job thorn, you really must’ve gone out of your way to find Asian doom news. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
my wife is pakistani and she's had relatives go back to try to help, one of them is a trucker who tried to drive as far as he could with relief stuff and eventually the road just becomes endless impassible water

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

quote:

Washington was among the 48 coastal cities studied but has a relatively low rate of land subsidence — averaging zero millimeters annually — and is at a lower risk of being affected by rising sea levels.
Lmao it's just like when the entire US is in a heatwave except DC

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also some places are talking about it. Hawaii for example.

"‘We need to retreat’: North Shore homeowners violating state rules to save properties, DLNR says posted:

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The state is now keeping track of homeowners trying to stop their properties from falling into the ocean along Oahu’s North Shore.

After a drone survey conducted earlier in September, the Department of Land and Natural Resources found that out of 20 homes along Ke Nui Drive, none of the owners are fully complying with the permits to mitigate erosion.

The state said many of the desperate attempts to keep waves from eating away at the crumbling shoreline are violating state rules.

This includes unauthorized placement of rocks and sandbags, and blocking beach access.

Officials said not only are efforts failing to keep homes safe, debris from the makeshift break walls is falling into the ocean and harming marine life.

“If we remove these structures, then we will have cesspools or houses falling into the ocean. We fix one environmental disaster; we create a new one,” said Michael Cain, administrator at the DLNR Office of Conservation and Coastal Lands.

“We need to retreat. We don’t know how to do it. We look for role models in other coastal communities, everyone is facing the same situation. No one has come up with a good plan on how to manage this.”

They've been saying this for almost a decade now, so basically no one gives a poo poo about these houses or the people who own them anymore. loving move brah. There's also plans to move the kamehameha highway way further inland instead of right on the coast because it keeps falling into the ocean.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

collapsing into the ocean is kinda Hawaii's entire deal

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

It's a good bit, why mess with success?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

What happened with arf?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

The Wisest Moron posted:

What happened with arf?

Looked at cringe and died

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Wisest Moron posted:

What happened with arf?

he at the gym

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Dr Arf or how I learned to stop reporting and love the cringe

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

The Wisest Moron posted:

What happened with arf?

cringed too close to the sun

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Lmao it's just like when the entire US is in a heatwave except DC

It's worth noting that the Juan de fuca plate subsiding is raising that part of the north American plate to cancel out it's subsidence

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_subduction_zone

quote:

It postulated that several towns and cities on the west coast of Vancouver Island, such as Tofino and Ucluelet, are at risk for a sudden, earthquake initiated, 1–2 m subsidence.[22]

When that earthquake goes the region is going to get a little bit closer to sea level

Though maybe they took that into account the ring of fire probably has that poo poo going on everywhere

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Sep 24, 2022

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

RIP Arf 🙏

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Wisest Moron posted:

What happened with arf?

can't stand positive reinforcement

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
arf, wherever you are, wear an elastomeric respirator. protect your body and brain

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Each time Arf has posted in the thread there have been approximately 200 posts discussing Arf. I think everyone should convert their posting to just troll this thread because that's an amazing success rate with almost zero effort.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1572591283947950081?s=46&t=dBhUxn5cMQIHq25Lbp1B-w

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol this is the perfect tech bullshit quip, respect

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
9/11 also unfolded in 3 steps :D

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

He putting his finger in a virtual butthole 100%

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xaris posted:

i gotta say it's pretty amazing that we've had a historic biblical flood affecting like 30 million people and it barely makes a blip in the west. if i didnt read cspam i wouldnt even know it happened

they had a famine in china in the mid 20th century and every boomer has said "eat, people in china are starving" at every single meal theyve had since for 70 years afterward so its for the best to keep americans ignorant

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

never got china, it was always africa

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

regional variant maybe

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
eat, millions in America are starving

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Tungsten posted:

we should also be using the last of the petroleum to ship all of the remaining topsoil to places where the permafrost is melting

might be polite to start putting dinosaur bones and stuff back in the ground where we found them too

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Shima Honnou posted:

my wife is pakistani and she's had relatives go back to try to help, one of them is a trucker who tried to drive as far as he could with relief stuff and eventually the road just becomes endless impassible water
:(

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shima Honnou posted:

dang. Allah bless your wifes family tho for trying

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Homeless Friend posted:

9/11 also unfolded in 3 steps :D

There were 4 planes tho?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
nobody gives a poo poo about that loser plane

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
9 minus 11 is 3

wake up sheeple

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/SeaCitizens/status/1573810594850955264?s=20&t=W1zAAYuiuzeLxpQckP41rw

it's extremely funny when your climate good news is that someone is trying to save bees from extinction

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
that's kinda neat tbh

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
the worlds largest bee ark was just constructed in netherlands

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
bee ark of the covenant

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shima Honnou posted:

that thing can only hold two bees, who gives a gently caress

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cup Runneth Over posted:

that thing can only hold two bees, who gives a gently caress

The chunkiest, buzziest bois

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Paradoxish posted:

Compare the coverage to something like the Russian invasion of Ukraine and I think you'll understand people's expectations better. I think a lot of people are accustomed to the idea that anything that doesn't receive 24/7 news coverage isn't a big deal.

You got me wondering how it compares to a war. I think Pakistan has been crippled worse than if they'd lost a major (non nuclear) war. It really should be bigger news.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Fell Mood posted:

You got me wondering how it compares to a war. I think Pakistan has been crippled worse than if they'd lost a major (non nuclear) war. It really should be bigger news.

I was just wondering today should there be concern that all their nukes are under water right now?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

1glitch0 posted:

I was just wondering today should there be concern that all their nukes are under water right now?

theyre probably fine, people throw those things on submarines all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shima Honnou posted:

lol