Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

We would need to know the specific card you have. There’s lots of 2070 supers.

It's this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
so i thiiiiink that's a two slot and the dimensions are: 257 x 127 x 41mm. that's pretty small, i bet you could get some smaller form factor PCs for that, but you should go ask in the SFF thread because they'll know better, this thread is for both small form factor PCs and good form factor PCs :twisted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've reached the one of my rope with trying to troubleshoot a desktop I've been having trouble with, having spent two full days of working on it, and getting nowhere, and while I've sent in the parts for an RMA, it may take weeks and I don't want to be stuck with my laptop during that time, and I'm aware this sounds like a bad rationalization but I might as well use the opportunity to get myself an upgrade

that said...

my thoughts are with either a Ryzen 5 5600 [non-X], or an i5-12400, which as far as I can tell are within a few percentage points of each other performance-wise.

is there a compelling argument for either besides "go with whichever one costs less in the final CPU+motherboard calculation?"

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Probably a hilariously simple question but I've never had to replace a power supply before and I'm not 100% sure of what I need. Can anybody figure out what I should be looking for to replace this thing? I live in a place with unreliable power, so even with a UPS I'd like something that can take a bit of a beating.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Probably a hilariously simple question but I've never had to replace a power supply before and I'm not 100% sure of what I need. Can anybody figure out what I should be looking for to replace this thing? I live in a place with unreliable power, so even with a UPS I'd like something that can take a bit of a beating.

The 2 important parts of a PSU are wattage and efficiency, any off the shelf PSU you buy these days will almost certainly have the connections you need. Wattage is easy, and efficiency is usually marked by that "80 Plus" badge, though it's not an exact science and some manufacturers get dodgy with gaming the tests it's all we have for easily spotting. So what you're after in terms of a straight replacement is 500W, 80 Plus Bronze, though generally I'd recommend 80 Plus Gold if you can though they're usually not much more expensive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Really you just want a power supply made by a reputable brand (such as EVGA, Corsair, Seagate, SuperFlower, Be Quiet to some extent) with a good warranty (5 is okay, 7+ years is good. longer warranties means the manufacturer has more confidence in their components) and ideally at least an 80plus gold rating (this is just efficiency, but more efficiency usually comes from using higher-quality components). I looked up that power supply's model number, and it's 500W so you'll want at least that much, too. The main concern I have is that this model has a mini-SATA power connector, which is literally something I never even knew existed until I looked up this power supply. It certainly doesn't seem like a standard connector in modern PSUs. Do you know if that's actually being used for something in your system? There are adapters you can buy, but I don't know how reliable they are or if you'll set your PC on fire with one. That connector is the only real consideration here. Everything else that PSU has comes standard in all modern PSUs, and the form factor is the same too, so basically anything will work.

If you're in the US, I'd get something like this which is on a heavy discount.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

njsykora posted:

The 2 important parts of a PSU are wattage and efficiency, any off the shelf PSU you buy these days will almost certainly have the connections you need. Wattage is easy, and efficiency is usually marked by that "80 Plus" badge, though it's not an exact science and some manufacturers get dodgy with gaming the tests it's all we have for easily spotting. So what you're after in terms of a straight replacement is 500W, 80 Plus Bronze, though generally I'd recommend 80 Plus Gold if you can though they're usually not much more expensive.

Efficiency doesn't really matter, for me I look at wattage (or rails but that's too much for most buyers), warranty, and brand rep. Warranty length almost always correlates directly with quality, 5 year warranties are standard, 10 year warranties are where it's at.

Efficiency refers to power usage at the wall, the rated wattage is what's available after the efficiency cut.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

Hello, I am finally looking to replace my 11+ year old PC with something good bang per buck for 1080p gaming. I might go up to 1440p in future, no current plans for 4k or VR. Obviously anything would be a significant upgrade from where I am, but I'd like it to have a reasonable lifespan. I am in the UK.

Can anybody see any problems with this 5600X/3070 prebuild? https://www.palicomp.co.uk/pc_best_buy Would I need to add a CPU cooler, or a better power supply?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't hate that for the price tbh, I'm assuming the cooler would be the AMD stock cooler so you could do better but it'd be perfectly fine. Same for the PSU, 650W is perfectly fine for those components.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah palicomp has some very good deals on right now, here's another one

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ryzen-5-5600x-rtx-3070-16gb-1tb-nvme-windows-gaming-system-ps995-at-palicomp-3999526

i would probably recommend a better cooler than the one you're looking at given it is not as good as the stock wraith cooler since they charge 20 pounds more for it (?) it's kind of unclear. if you don't want to replace it yourself pick the hyper 212 30 pound option. PSU is fine. overall very good for that price right now.

only drawback is palicomp doesn't have the greatest reputation, not a fantastic trustpilot (3.9 with a lot of 1 stars dragging them down) and generally they upsell a lot and their customer service leaves something to be desired. struggle to compete with their pricing tho.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

Yeah I saw a few comments on hotukdeals complaining about substitute parts and bad customer service (but obviously enough positive comments to not disregard them out of hand). I tend to just shut down a purchase if Thing isn't exactly what I've already decided on, so hopefully if I go ahead I won't get bilked :ohdear:

I have a bit of wiggle room for small upgrades so I'd take CoolCab's advice on the cooler. I'm not up on parts manufacturers and performance, is the promo £10 RAM upgrade from Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz to ADATA Gammix D10 3200mhz actually better?

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Is there a big difference between DRAM-less SSDs and non for putting your OS on it? I was looking at the WD 550 but i've read that you should try to get a SSD with DRAM on because it improves the lifespan of the ssd... somehow?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Is there a big difference between DRAM-less SSDs and non for putting your OS on it? I was looking at the WD 550 but i've read that you should try to get a SSD with DRAM on because it improves the lifespan of the ssd... somehow?

The price difference between a DRAM-less SSD and one with DRAM is negligible enough to make it a moot point.

I'd never personally put my OS on a DRAM-less drive nor one running QLC NAND. TLC+DRAM is ideal for a boot/OS drive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There's no tangible difference for the average home user with NVMe drives. It used to be that you wanted to avoid DRAM-less SATA SSDs like the plague, but the NVMe protocol allows SSD controllers to use system memory instead. The extra latency this incurs over using onboard DRAM is minor enough to have no measurable impact on ordinary home use.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

the WD SN550 is not great value now because it was downgraded to have QLC NAND. the SN570 is not much more but uses TLC, which is a much bigger point of differentiation than DRAM/DRAM-less

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Alright thanks, this https://www.microcenter.com/product/639627/inland-performance-1tb-3d-tlc-nand-pcie-gen-4-x4-nvme-m2-internal-ssd is at my local microcenter, looks like it has TLC+DRAM and is only about 10 bucks more than the WDs i was looking at. Never heard of the brand though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Inland is Micro Center's house brand. There's really no need to worry about this. The SN570 is an excellent OS drive, and it's just $80: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HKDQ1RN?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

spunkshui posted:

"CRAFTED FOR EXPANSION
Tool-less access to components, up to 4x 120mm system fans, 7 available storage upgrade ports, with industry-standard upgrades throughout."

You pay a bit more but have a 3070, fans, and maybe standard parts everywhere.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/omen-40l-desktop-gt21-0385xt-bundle-pc
12th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated) with LHR
16 GB memory; 1 TB HDD storage; 512 GB SSD storage

use the code 10GAMER2022
https://www.hp.com/wcsstore/hpusstore/Treatment/images/Gamer2022-disclaimerv2.pdf

$1,466.99 + TAX
YOU SAVED $683.00 ON YOUR ORDER

you know, i WAS considering this, but on the other hand, i DO think i might need a new laptop. haven't had one of those in a few years. is there any objection to getting one?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

you know, i WAS considering this, but on the other hand, i DO think i might need a new laptop. haven't had one of those in a few years. is there any objection to getting one?

Oh, good thinking since laptops are prebuilt anyway.

Worth looking into.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

My computer won't compute anymore. It was 7 years old, so I guess I can't fault it too much.
Reading the last couple pages, it sounds like there's new stuff coming out in a couple weeks. I can survive w/o for a while but I'd like that to be on the scale of weeks not months.

What country are you in?
US

What are you using the system for?
Gaming

What's your budget?
Soft limit of $2000. If I need to replace my monitors, I'd say another $1500 for that.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
Currently, I have a Dell U3415W (3440 x 1440 at 60 Hz) and a Dell U2414H (1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz).
I assume these will need to be replaced.

How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
Ultra as fast as possible. Preferably 1440 or 4k depending on how crazy those are.

Ego Trip fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 27, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Are you looking to build your own or trying to get a prebuilt?

The GPU market is kinda all over the place right now.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Yeah, that's one of the reasons my ex-computer was 7. It was good enough and miners were ruining everything for the rest of us.

I'll take whatever. I've built every computer I've had for the last 20 or so years, but that was a price thing. If prebuilts are of comparable quality, then I'll take a (reasonable) price hit for only having 1 vendor to have to deal with if things go wrong.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Friend is looking to buy a replaacement for his PC. I can't find the pre-done builds, which is sad. Money isn't much of an object, he wants something that will help him do more VR stuff better. His CPU isn't a fan of his VR headset and his GPU isn't exactly stoked on the thing either.

So, something high-end. He still plays 1080p

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 27, 2022

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
When do we expect the 30 series GPUs to really come down in price? I am considering getting a 3080, but if the 4080s are coming out in a couple months for just a couple hundred more than the 3080, should I just wait for that?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So I ordered a Corsair 4000D Airflow case and now I need stuff to put in it. I spent a little more time on this than my last post, please critique what I have so far.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($399.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 120 Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER EATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1088.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-27 14:23 EDT-0400

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that cooler is very much underpowered. if you want an AIO i'd suggest at least a 240 rad, but honestly i'd probably suggest air cooling first like idk a scythe fuma 2 or similar dual tower?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

So I ordered a Corsair 4000D Airflow case and now I need stuff to put in it. I spent a little more time on this than my last post, please critique what I have so far.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($399.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 120 Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER EATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1088.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-27 14:23 EDT-0400

Intel just released it’s 13th gen prices and specs so I’m not sure if that i7 is the greatest value anymore.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How about the mobo? That’s what I’m really considering pulling the trigger on today because it looks like Newegg has it for $160 off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

As far as I can tell the 13th gen chips are still using the same LGA1700 socket so it should be ok.

I can’t say it will work for sure since the chips aren’t out yet but I’m leaning toward it shouldn’t be an issue.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

MarcusSA posted:

As far as I can tell the 13th gen chips are still using the same LGA1700 socket so it should be ok.

I can’t say it will work for sure since the chips aren’t out yet but I’m leaning toward it shouldn’t be an issue.

Intel confirmed compatibility with 600-series boards and DDR4 today

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

How about the mobo? That’s what I’m really considering pulling the trigger on today because it looks like Newegg has it for $160 off.

It seems like it's probably a fine motherboard, but look at the PCPartPicker price history (and ignore MemoryC). That's not a super special sale price, really, so there's no need to rush to buy it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Team Group NVME drives are on deep discount at Newegg right now, are they notoriously bad or something? $130 for a 2 TB drive is a better price than a comparably large SATA SSD
https://www.newegg.com/team-group-mp33-2tb/p/N82E16820331431

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

change my name posted:

Team Group NVME drives are on deep discount at Newegg right now, are they notoriously bad or something? $130 for a 2 TB drive is a better price than a comparably large SATA SSD
https://www.newegg.com/team-group-mp33-2tb/p/N82E16820331431

Are those the drives that came with the DDR5 ram bundle? If so would make sense why they’re so cheap if they’re overstocked.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they're relatively slow it looks like

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Are those the drives that came with the DDR5 ram bundle? If so would make sense why they’re so cheap if they’re overstocked.

No, the ones that came bundled with DDR5 were PCIe Gen 4 QLC drives that could do 5000 MB/s R/W. The MP33 is a rather slow budget drive.

edit: Some of their SSD bundles still exist with their more expensive RGB memory, but I don't think those are worth it compared to their $150 kits: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=50011857%20100007611%20601396890%20600327642&Manufactory=11857

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 27, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone have any good PC Building memes to place in the OP now that the GPU apocalypse is over?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Anyone have any good PC Building memes to place in the OP now that the GPU apocalypse is over?

Completely off topic but it's a strange feeling to finally be emerging from this last 2 years, though the next few years will be tough in other ways since the worldwide economy is hosed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Just make it that one image of a 4090 connected to an ITX motherboard.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

Just make it that one image of a 4090 connected to an ITX motherboard.

https://twitter.com/9550pro/status/1572272657760153600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

PC Building Megathread: The PC Is The GPU Support System