Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Unless you can read Japanese do not play Gagharv, the existing English translations are terrible.

you saved my life bubby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Cavauro posted:

i haven't played the legend of heroes and i don't think i'd be too interested in the earliest games. Would you recommend starting with the 'gagharv' series or trails in the sky?

Personally I played the first couple Cold Steel games right after the pandemic started and got hooked enough to the point where i'm importing the Japanese copies that will be several years out from English release.

I don't think you have to play them in order but I think it's ultimately a good idea to get the whole story and timelines down. Generally people think the two Crossbell games are the best.

Get the PC version of Sky since the turbo functions will make everything much more bearable, I didn't find out about it until well into the first chapter.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cavauro posted:

i haven't played the legend of heroes and i don't think i'd be too interested in the earliest games. Would you recommend starting with the 'gagharv' series or trails in the sky?

the first two games are basically just a dragon quest clone and a mildly weirder dragon quest clone that opens with some guys murdering a bunch of astronauts and they dont have any tls except a legendarily bad turbografx cd dub for the first game so you dont really have to worry about playing them there

you also dont have to worry about playing gagharv because the psp remakes are pretty bad and have awful translations and, are released out of the correct order that the games are supposed to be played in

you can start with absically any first game in any trails sub-series and have a good time but yeah sky's good if you want to start from the very start

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Srice posted:

Anyone call them Failcom yet

Falcbad

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ys so serious?
read in joker voice

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mierenneuker posted:

If anyone has played Bravely Second: End Layer and their 3DS isn't collecting dust, I'd like to swap friend codes. The 3DS had a small firmware update at the end of last month, so you'll need that before you can view your friends list (but it didn't affect custom firmware). Anyway, here's my code: 2982-0483-8705

I ended up having exactly 4 people for the abilink feature in the first game, but somehow I doubt all of them also played the sequel. I'm playing the demo/prologue right now, but it has no online functionality so I can't check yet.

I'm actually playing through this right now. Here's mine: 3067-8805-6192

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i remember playing a bit of legend of heroes 4 on the psp back when i was like 12 (on one of my cousin's psps iirc) and all i remember about it is that "holy flail" was tled as "holy frail", or something

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah those games were actually just machine tled. it's some of the worst translation work on any jrpg

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The Colonel posted:

yeah those games were actually just machine tled. it's some of the worst translation work on any jrpg

that Sucks. 😔
was it cause they figured machine tling was cheaper, esp for a then unknown in the west(?) series?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Why else would you possibly do it?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Clarste posted:

Why else would you possibly do it?

tru....

it'd be cool if they got actually good tls, at some point

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, they may not have intentionally done it, if you just go for the lowest bidder translation company, sometimes you get scammed anyway. I've seen that happen.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mierenneuker posted:

If anyone has played Bravely Second: End Layer and their 3DS isn't collecting dust, I'd like to swap friend codes. The 3DS had a small firmware update at the end of last month, so you'll need that before you can view your friends list (but it didn't affect custom firmware). Anyway, here's my code: 2982-0483-8705

I ended up having exactly 4 people for the abilink feature in the first game, but somehow I doubt all of them also played the sequel. I'm playing the demo/prologue right now, but it has no online functionality so I can't check yet.
thanks for this post because I didn't know I could safely update my hacked 3ds

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bamco was doing machine tls for random games for a while and, still do it sometimes. some of their more recent f2p gundam games have some really egregious machine tl. but when it comes to like rpgs they've generally gotten better, the worst for it was the vita days where they'd regularly put out really blatantly machine tled games, and super robot wars og: moon dwellers. now even srw has proper translation teams

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

afaik the big hacking guide says whether or not its safe to update, for the recent ones they said its fine as long as ur luma is v11

The Colonel posted:

bamco was doing machine tls for random games for a while and, still do it sometimes. some of their more recent f2p gundam games have some really egregious machine tl. but when it comes to like rpgs they've generally gotten better, the worst for it was the vita days where they'd regularly put out really blatantly machine tled games, and super robot wars og: moon dwellers. now even srw has proper translation teams

such words... even I could...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The funniest part about Moon Dwellers is when you realise they find/replaced poo poo with "drat it" and thus we have "What a drat itty operator."

einst
zwei
dry

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The drat titty operators are at it again!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
More stuff from the Penny Blood kickstarter

Baby Cthulhu

quote:

Details:
A baby "Cthulhu," which is a type of creature from another world that runs parallel to our own. It acquired the intelligence of a cat through feasting on one upon appearing in our world. It's about as big as a rugby ball, and usually floats in mid-air.

The three tentacles under its jaw have sharp, squid-like teeth in their centers, and when it opens its mouth, it looks extremely grotesque.

Role in the story:
It's taken interest in Matthew ever since he coincidentally saved it while it was in danger.

Baby Cthulhu has an incredible ability that lets it freely pass through worlds as it wishes. It appears whenever it wants, sometimes saving Matthew in the nick of time, or pushing him further into peril at others. Of course, Baby Cthulhu itself possesses no ill will.

Baby Cthulhu is merely a nickname that describes what kind of a baby it is... Its real name will be revealed within the game.

Cries:
Its cries sound like "Cthulhu!"
Similar to a certain electric rat, it expresses all its emotions through the word "Cthulhu."
"C-thulhuuuu!" (Gooood morning!)
"Cccthuuulhuuuu!" (I seeeee youuuu...) etc.

Gonna be real odd if the thing nicknamed "Baby Cthulhu" that speaks by saying "Cthulhu cthulhu cthulhu" has its true name revealed to be something like Jeb.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

The funniest part about Moon Dwellers is when you realise they find/replaced poo poo with "drat it" and thus we have "What a drat itty operator."

einst
zwei
dry

which JRPG was it again where the german version translated the in-combat "miss" text to "fraulein"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

which JRPG was it again where the german version translated the in-combat "miss" text to "fraulein"

It was a port of Grandia 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

More stuff from the Penny Blood kickstarter

Baby Cthulhu

Gonna be real odd if the thing nicknamed "Baby Cthulhu" that speaks by saying "Cthulhu cthulhu cthulhu" has its true name revealed to be something like Jeb.

Please lie dreaming

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Jeffpardy video but I've studied audio editing for a decade and have cleverly edited it to be Jebpardy for this singular post

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

einst
zwei
dry

Did someone say Moon Dwellers?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Idk why Bandai keep skimping on localization? I thought the global market is good now

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

Did someone say Moon Dwellers?

Tbf it is a pretty orthodox super robot.

Anyway SRW translations have definitely come a long way since Moon Dwellers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Idk why Bandai keep skimping on localization? I thought the global market is good now

You make more money if you pay less.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They mostly learned their lesson from the triple shitshow of Cyber Sleuth, Hollow Fragment and Moon Dwellers - the next games in all three of those series had real good translations but sometimes things slip through

Oddly enough at some point in the last year they went and added english voices as an option for Battle Operation 2

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I may have been a bit hasty in my quest for friend codes... if you installed custom firmware this year or are reasonably up to date it is fine, because it seems like it was a very small firmware update. If you hacked it years ago, yeah, I'd take some additional steps before you press that big update button. Although it's mostly cautious advice, I doubt you'll break/brick things or somehow invoke Nintendo's wrath. And (re)doing the CFW is going to be pretty painless until the eShop no longer allows people to get the free Pokemon Picross title (in March of 2023).

Walla posted:

I'm actually playing through this right now.

Cheers. I played the first game at a slow pace, so don't expect the most useful abilink or summons from my end soon :shobon:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 25, 2022

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Gyoru posted:

giant lady

Gearing her up and watching her eat 20 cavalry squads by herself is hilarious.

"BIG MOMMY HUNGRY."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tired Moritz posted:

they dont skimp on it so much for dialog-heavy games anymore, again modern super robot wars translations are actually pretty good. but they still do for games that are mostly like system and menu text because that's little enough they probably dont think anyone will notice or care

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mierenneuker posted:

Cheers. I played the first game at a slow pace, so don't expect the most useful abilink or summons from my end soon :shobon:

No worries. I tend to play a bit glacially as well. You may well pass me at some point. :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvpcW-2C0rM

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

they dont skimp on it so much for dialog-heavy games anymore, again modern super robot wars translations are actually pretty good. but they still do for games that are mostly like system and menu text because that's little enough they probably dont think anyone will notice or care

I got the impression they sent Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth out expecting it to die in the west with its dodgy machine-translation side-dialogue and no digital release, and just didn't anticipate it becoming so popular.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The Colonel posted:

Most games are machine translated nowadays

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I got the impression they sent Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth out expecting it to die in the west with its dodgy machine-translation side-dialogue and no digital release, and just didn't anticipate it becoming so popular.

cyber sleuth was vita-era, they were still doing some pretty blatant machine tl stuff back then. like there's no way they didnt expect sao games to sell and they still gave those some pretty awful translation work

goblin week posted:

Most games are machine translated nowadays

uh. no they arent? have you ever seen what unedited machine tl looks like. there's less expensive tl companies people contract out to that use machine tl and their work is universally shoddy and gets a negative rep as a result

machine translation is more common in lower budget spaces, like indie games, doujin games that dont think they can afford a proper translator, and tons of cheap licensed games like mentioned above. but like in the same way you've got active pushes towards employing human translators in all of these places because of how bad those machine tls are and for super robot wars the switch provided a huge boost to its worldwide popularity to the point they decided to develop srw30 as the first game without any kind of region locking

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 25, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I know "AI helps with things" is becoming a touchy subject but if AI starts to get smart enough to be good at translating things, (not perfect, human editors would probably have to touch things up and do some rewording) I would be fine with it if it meant we could get games in English faster

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that will never happen. ai is not built for understanding art, the closest you can get it there is still an imitation of an understanding. you could get it to do system text but any kind of writing that's supposed to have actual character and emotional depth to it is a no go, the weirder and more unique the writing style is the likelier it is the ai is not gonna be able to comprehend whatever you're throwing it at, and just editing a machine translation without being able to know the original text carries its own problems. why bother editing something you think might technically maybe be accurate, instead of actually getting the talent and understanding together to know that it's accurate? the only people who would stand to benefit from a lot of this are corporate people who dont want to pay for human translators.

the only ai that would be able to decently translate stories into english is the kind of fancy sentient sci-fi super ai that would get all the moral questions asked about if it's so close to humanity it might as well be a person. understandably, that is not the kind of ai you're going to see translating gundam evolution dx a decade from now.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 25, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, this would be like replacing manga artists with that AI art program that's currently going viral

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think with AI you should never say never but, it's a very very long way out. A reasonably plausible near (but not too near) future is machine-assisted translation, where the machine is a tool in the human translator's toolbox to get a zeroth draft out on a large amount of text as a starting point (or to give to people working on other aspects of the localization so they can get started without waiting on the translation). I don't think machine TL is particularly even at that point yet, but I could see it being there within a few decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cheetah7071 posted:

I think with AI you should never say never but, it's a very very long way out. A reasonably plausible near (but not too near) future is machine-assisted translation, where the machine is a tool in the human translator's toolbox to get a zeroth draft out on a large amount of text as a starting point (or to give to people working on other aspects of the localization so they can get started without waiting on the translation). I don't think machine TL is particularly even at that point yet, but I could see it being there within a few decades

I think even at that point the human translator is going to have to spend a huge amount of time looking at the original Japanese and comparing to the machine translation, to the point I doubt it would save them much time.