Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not sure because I've never had to do this.

You’ve never been watching something on YouTube on your phone and decided you want to put it on the TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

You’ve never been watching something on YouTube on your phone and decided you want to put it on the TV?

lol no I've never had to open the app first.

It's always casted correctly with anything I've sent from my phone.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

MarcusSA posted:

lol no I've never had to open the app first.

It's always casted correctly with anything I've sent from my phone.

Are you casting, or using Airplay? I only get an option to cast if I open the app on my Apple TV.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

Are you casting, or using Airplay? I only get an option to cast if I open the app on my Apple TV.

Its airplay as far as I know. I'm not home right now but I know the last time I tried it I didn't have any issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if YT intentionally broke something though.

As you using the YT app on the phone? Have you tried using Safari to send it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I can’t cast Youtube to my regular Roku TV from my phone without it opening the Youtube app either, though I can from the website. So it’s probably a Google thing.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

njsykora posted:

I can’t cast Youtube to my regular Roku TV from my phone without it opening the Youtube app either,

The difference is that the Roku & shield wake up, turns on my receiver and TV, then the Roku app opens automatically when I cast to them.

With the Apple TV I have to grab the Apple TV remote, open the YouTube app, then I can cast from my phone.

Or use Airplay, which is inferior for casting video.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Brain Issues posted:

Or use Airplay, which is inferior for casting video.

In what way? I've never noticed any difference when I wanted to throw something from my iPhone to the Apple TV in my den compared to when I cast stuff to the Roku TV in my living room.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

teagone posted:

In what way? I've never noticed any difference when I wanted to throw something from my iPhone to the Apple TV in my den compared to when I cast stuff to the Roku TV in my living room.

I’m guessing he wants true handoff where he can watch/listen to something else on his phone while casting other media to his TV.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Gay Retard posted:

I’m guessing he wants true handoff where he can watch/listen to something else on his phone while casting other media to his TV.

This is part of it, but also, why should I kill my phones battery AirPlaying something to my TV when the app on my TV/Apple TV can stream it directly from youtube. Airplay is also limited to 1080p whereas casting will play full 4k HDR, as it's just triggering the youtube app to play the video natively rather than streaming it from your phone.

Tl;dr there are many reasons why airplay is inferior.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 31, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh that's fair re: 4K HDR content. I'm still using a 4th gen Apple TV since my den TV isn't a 4K set.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Anyone having issues with DualShock controllers on the newest 4K Apple TV? It works fine with one controller but I decided to buy another for multiplayer and intermittently the controllers have either input lag or non responsive controls. I don’t own a ps4.

It’s happened on a few games so wondering if the Apple TV has an issue with Bluetooth controllers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a suggestion for a small stereo speaker set that the appletv can do volume control on? Got a first gen 4k that we're putting in our exercise room, the monitor in there does audio over hdmi but no CEC. So I need "something else" that the appletv can control. It doesn't need to be theater quality or powerful, it just needs to play some videos while working out and have working volume control on the remote.

Bluetooth looks like the only option for this setup.. is appletv's bluetooth pretty reliable for audio?

Put homepods/minis in there, and your phone can control it. I think this works for certain other speakers too, but definitely for homepods/minis

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

Why can’t I cast YouTube TV or YouTube to my Apple TV without first opening the app on my Apple TV.

Kind of takes away the convenience of casting. My Rokus and Shield TV both can be casted to at any time, and will even turn on my tv and receiver automatically when doing so.

The Apple TV is clearly on all the time as I can Airplay or Screen Mirror to it without turning on my system or opening anything and it will wake up everything.

Probably because your Apple TV isn’t going to let YouTube run a bunch of services in the background, which would cause slowdown in other apps. Apple firewalls stuff off.

Doing it the way your complaining about has never been an issue for me. It takes maybe like 5 extra seconds?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I believe there are two "casting" mechanisms at play with YouTube here.

To the best of my understanding:

There's airplay, which you can activate long pressing the play control in control center and choosing the Apple TV. This one doesn't require the app to be open on the tv. I just tested it with my setup.

Then there's the YouTube app on iOS having its own casting which "connects" with the Apple TV YouTube app. I believe this is so you can do things like watch a live stream on the tv while accessing live chat on your phone/tablet to interact with the stream. If you're playing a video on the tv and open the app it'll ask if you want to connect, so the sync/cast can be initiated in either direction.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

YouTube

kri kri fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 3, 2022

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

kri kri posted:

That’s is correct and number 2 as previously mentioned is far superior.

Right, reading is hard.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

mentholmoose posted:

On the last-gen 4k, anybody else having issues with audio channels cutting out? I lose the center channel audio every so often and have to unplug the AppleTV to get it back; it only started recently. I noticed it in the Prime app at first but when it happens it happens to every application now. I dunno if it’s the AppleTV or the HDMI-CEC connection I have set up.

Yes i have this issue too. Very low left speaker, or no center speaker

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Cornjob posted:

Yes i have this issue too. Very low left speaker, or no center speaker

Oh yeah I meant to provide an update on this.

For now, until I get more time, I switched output to Stereo in the AppleTV settings and haven’t had any issues with that at all (aside, obviously, from no surround sound). I’m going to attempt another HDMI cable (and another source) but if that doesn’t work I suspect it’s an AppleTV software issue. Will attempt a system reset in that case and hope one of those steps works.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Are there any new bells or whistles with tvOS 16?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Not really. It supports pairing Switch controllers now, which is nice.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Also, everybody in your Family can automatically get their own profile on the AppleTV which I guess is a good thing if you have a bunch of people with really strong opinions on icon placement. I suppose it also keeps your apple+ viewing habits separate. We've all got our own profiles on the various streaming services here and tend to watch apple+ stuff as a family so no big game changer for us.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fischtick posted:

Also, everybody in your Family can automatically get their own profile on the AppleTV which I guess is a good thing if you have a bunch of people with really strong opinions on icon placement. I suppose it also keeps your apple+ viewing habits separate. We've all got our own profiles on the various streaming services here and tend to watch apple+ stuff as a family so no big game changer for us.

That's not new to TVOS 16. We've been using it for awhile in my house.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
They added different language keyboards to search. That’s the most exciting thing for me.

Adding switch controller support also made my 8bitDo Pro2 controller pair so that’s great.

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 14, 2022

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting between iPhone and AppleTV threads.

Anyone do any AirPlaying of YouTube to AppleTVs and use the Vinegar extension?

It looks like something is blocking or glitching out airplay at anything at or above 720p quality.

Seems to maybe be a tvOS 16 bug? I can airplay 1080p to my LG tv via it’s implementation of AirPlay. I can watch 1080p YouTube on the phone with no airplay. I can airplay 4K videos from my camera roll to my AppleTVs.

But trying to airplay youtube to an actual AppleTV is giving me a little Cannot Play symbol (red circle with line through it). And it’s been this way since tvOS 16 dropped. Crossposting between iPhone and AppleTV threads.

Oh and I updated the OP.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Does it behave properly if the extension is disabled ? I didn’t know what the extension is so I googled it. It’s an ad blocker of sorts? If that’s the case you shouldn’t be surprised if poo poo breaks.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just re-upped for another year of YT premium for $16 or so. Well worth it imo to not have to deal with extensions and poo poo. Thanks India.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

YT premium is definitely worth it if you even use a bit of YT. The alternatives are just flat annoying

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

kri kri posted:

Just re-upped for another year of YT premium for $16 or so. Well worth it imo to not have to deal with extensions and poo poo. Thanks India.

Is this as easy as setting the VPN on my laptop to India, and then signing up for a new account with premium? I don’t need to fake an India address or anything? Will they notice/care that I pay with a US credit card or logon 100% of the time from a US location (since I won’t be on the VPN on my AppleTV)?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is this as easy as setting the VPN on my laptop to India, and then signing up for a new account with premium? I don’t need to fake an India address or anything? Will they notice/care that I pay with a US credit card or logon 100% of the time from a US location (since I won’t be on the VPN on my AppleTV)?

I can’t remember about the address since I’ve been doing this for over a year now. If they ask just use a business or whatever from Google maps.

For the card I use a privacy.com card and it works perfectly fine. I use all my devices with no vpn and I have no issues. I just connected to vpn, used an incognito window and signed up.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Do you use a separate YouTube/Google account or your normal one?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

canyonero posted:

People use their normal one but I’d be worried they’d eventually do something about it and pull it.

Lots of people do it though but probably not really enough for them to give much of a poo poo about.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

canyonero posted:

Normal account. If they pull it not out much. I assume they think some money is better than no money.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does YT Premium do anything about the auto-pausing after a certain amount of inactivity? Or is that just a device/platform-specific thing? I got a cheapo Amazon smart tv for cats, and Premium might be worth it if these 8-hour bird videos would actually play in full while we were out.

Or if that is device-specific and Apple TV doesn’t do it… I might go ahead and spend twice what I paid for the TV to just get a better app over one of the HDMI inputs, haha

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Crossposting between iPhone and AppleTV threads.

Anyone do any AirPlaying of YouTube to AppleTVs and use the Vinegar extension?

It looks like something is blocking or glitching out airplay at anything at or above 720p quality.

Seems to maybe be a tvOS 16 bug? I can airplay 1080p to my LG tv via it’s implementation of AirPlay. I can watch 1080p YouTube on the phone with no airplay. I can airplay 4K videos from my camera roll to my AppleTVs.

But trying to airplay youtube to an actual AppleTV is giving me a little Cannot Play symbol (red circle with line through it). And it’s been this way since tvOS 16 dropped. Crossposting between iPhone and AppleTV threads.

Oh and I updated the OP.

Turns out the extension needed updating since iOS16 dropped. 1080p airplay restored.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
good news everyone, the youtube app sucks slightly less now

https://twitter.com/Flatpanels/status/1577233357636870149

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Amazing how fast they can move when it breaks things for advertisers.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The YouTube app has always been dogshit but recently especially so. Sometimes when I wake my TV via Apple TV, an image from the last thing I had on YouTube will be stuck on screen, and I have turn my TV on/off. Aside from that, seems more janky than normally.

A future in which airplay for YouTube works “ok” would be cool

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can never get the button on the YouTube app on my phone to work right with my appletv. But if I choose my actual tv (a Samsung) it works perfectly, and allows me to control the tv YouTube app from my phone, exit the app, etc.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I can never get the button on the YouTube app on my phone to work right with my appletv. But if I choose my actual tv (a Samsung) it works perfectly, and allows me to control the tv YouTube app from my phone, exit the app, etc.

You have to *freshly* open YouTube on your TV and pretty sure you had to have opened it within the last 20 mins or some bs, or might actually need to have it opened on your TV. Don’t think I’ve ever been able to wake my TV and shoot right into

Airplay I think can, and sometimes works better than the above, but is less than ideal

It’s capitalism in its purist form and google has absolutely no incentive to have a functional YouTube app on an Apple platform. All the stuff we’re talking about has worked seamlessly otherwise for at least 5+ years now with modern tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The little button always works for me, but I think I had to set the connection up in the Apple TV app first