Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Last time I had jury duty I was seated as an alternate. After three days of trial for this dope who was on video drunkenly hitting a woman's car before stumbling down the road, it went to deliberation. After 20 minutes, we're called back because he entered a guilty plea. Could have saved me three days of your attorney's "I'm just a simple country lawya" routine dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm deaf so I'm pretty sure they don't want me on any juries in the first place
"Could you repeat the story of how you found the bodies again but more loudly, Juror 7 didn't catch it the first time"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Quote is not edit!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Quote is STILL not edit! Holy poo poo I must be tired

Thought you said you were deaf, not blind. :smuggo:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Just proof that I shouldn't try to post first thing after waking up :dumbgun:

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I have a summons for federal jury duty next week, my first ever. Gonna be sad when I drive the 90 minutes and then don’t the jury fills up before I do anything!

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

My Jury Duty story is that I went in for Jury Duty, listened to the general outline of the case, and when they got to the bit where the lawyers met us each individually to check if they wanted to exclude us from the Jury Pool, I shook their hands and asked if the defendant went to High School X. They had. So I explained that I did too, and I was pretty sure that, during lunch one day, the defendant stole my GBA (that I was playing but shouldn't have brought to school) so I punched them and took it back, then the defendant slammed me in the head with a full water bottle.
I promised I'd try my actual best to be impartial if I got selected (we were dumb kids after all) but the lawyers were (understandably) pretty quick to say "thank you for your time but you are extremely not selected."

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

JohnCompany posted:

Yeah, I'm a lawyer and have a few lawyer buddies who have been called, and our firms are basically required to act like it's fantastic that we're doing our civic duty so they keep paying them even as they serve. Though no lawyer wants another lawyer on a jury so most lawyers are stuck immediately.

Totally get if you're a contractor, or work hourly, it's an awful deal.

My father was an attorney and he loved getting called for jury duty. Year after year, he was always cut because, yeah, he’s a lawyer.

He finally made it to the box, questioned, and wasn’t cut. Prosecution wanted him, defense didn’t but decided not to get rid of him.

He ended up on the jury, elected foreman, and it was a double murder trial. He will gladly regale you with this story every holiday.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
my one time on a jury it took me and one other guy arguing against ten people they shouldn't send someone to jail just bc they personally don't like his character witness, when the police didn't even confirm the basic facts of the case so there was no evidence, and it worked to keep the guy from being punished - but knowing the majority of the people had to be convinced that basic due diligence is an important part of justice stuck with me, and I honestly haven't had much faith in the jury system since. But judges aren't much better so *shrug*

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 25, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
some people take it very seriously, some people tune out while waiting for everyone in the room to stop talking and then just judge the situation on ~~~vibes~~~ and either type is just as likely to be on a jury

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The funniest part of the case I was on was the persecution grilling the cop who took the victim's statement. Except it was pretty clear that he was the lowest cop on the totem pole and the statement he took was another unremarkable day on the job for him, so he didn't remember jack poo poo about this random statement that he took in the hospital 5 years ago. But he wasn't allowed to say that.

The detective assigned to the case also retired so he wasn't called as a witness.

The whole thing was a poo poo show.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Cops are notorious for having the memory of a goldfish. It is deliberate, and many do say “i don’t recall” over and over until they get to review the report to refresh their recollection then give testimony that is exclusive to whatever was in the report they just read. Cops lie like their breathing. Even when confronted with video evidence that they’re lying, they never break kayfabe. I imagine they’re trained to do this. Whatever is in the report is what happened. The cop’s story is the story, period. You can never trust a cop’s word when there is not contemporaneous video evidence.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
As someone in medicine we get told to chart like this might wind up in court, and doing so means not putting in anything that can end up with you floundering or sounding like an idiot if you get called up 5 years later. All we have to protect us is our charting and I can be it's the same for an officer years later to, not to say they won't lie and contridict them selves if it suits the narrative at all. But 5 years is a lot of poo poo that you forget.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

UCS Hellmaker posted:

As someone in medicine we get told to chart like this might wind up in court, and doing so means not putting in anything that can end up with you floundering or sounding like an idiot if you get called up 5 years later. All we have to protect us is our charting and I can be it's the same for an officer years later to, not to say they won't lie and contridict them selves if it suits the narrative at all. But 5 years is a lot of poo poo that you forget.

Sure but maybe the law enforcement system shouldn't depend on whether or not a liar can remember things that happened 5 years ago. Plus it's not like they actually admit to reviewing the reports. It becomes word against word if the report is the only evidence.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my lovely jury story is i still have to pay for lunch in the court lunch room and therefore actual didnt make any money because spending money on a combo lunch of sandwich, chips , a drink is some luxury.

jury duty like many other civil services and other meta organization things really should pay way better and some how be made "better".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Is this not an explicit endorsement of the two tiered system of justice we have? Nobody south of 7 figures net worth is going to get this kind of treatment. They'll get told to shut the gently caress up, gently caress the gently caress off and get their balls nailed to the wall with every piece of the book Jones isn't getting right now because of who he is and what he can do, and then lose on top of it like he is hopefully going to as well.

People get this kind of treatment all the time

It's a civil lawsuit where he's already been found guilty, the judge wants to get it over with on schedule and deal with his behavior later. If he acts like an rear end in a top hat on the stand, he's the one who suffers for it

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Never got seated on a jury, but when I went to selection, pretty much everyone under 40 didn't make it past the first selection stage looking at who all left the courthouse the same time I did. Which does make some sense, as the defendant was an attractive mid 20 year old woman.

I followed the trial a bit and had to laugh that the dude who was being a loud rear end in a top hat about having an upcoming vacation somehow made the final jury. Guy was a nasty prick to everyone around him and then didn't speak up when the question about pre-existing commitments came up. His family probably had a better time without him.

Also while I'm all for people with disabilities getting to be on juries, one of the other selectees was a late 70-80 year old woman who was nearly deaf and blind and seemed a bit senile. I have no idea how she made it through selection either.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The one case I was on a jury for was a domestic violence/stalking case. The victim clearly didn't want to testify, it was obvious the prosecutor hadn't talked to her ever before going to court. And the cops had never found this guy even close to violating his restraining order. They were so incompetent they didn't even subpoena the video footage from the security cameras that were installed in the house to see if he was there. They bought us pizza, so we discussed the case for 40 mins, all agreed that the someone on the prosecution side had really hosed up. Ate our pizza, then went out and found the dude not guilty.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
My jury duty story is I've never been called for jury duty.

what's with that legally system, I not good enough for you!!!

Fine, i didn't want to be involved in you're basic functioning anyway. :colbert:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

StrangersInTheNight posted:

my one time on a jury it took me and one other guy arguing against ten people they shouldn't send someone to jail just bc they personally don't like his character witness, when the police didn't even confirm the basic facts of the case so there was no evidence, and it worked to keep the guy from being punished - but knowing the majority of the people had to be convinced that basic due diligence is an important part of justice stuck with me, and I honestly haven't had much faith in the jury system since. But judges aren't much better so *shrug*

this is why i think it's important for people who are able to serve on a jury without significant hardship to not try and weasel out of it. you might very well be the last thing standing between someone getting unjustly imprisoned or executed.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
My dumbass brother in law is a rural family farmer who never votes ever, because "that's how you get jury duty". Well he finally crawled out of his civic twilight to pull the lever for ol Trumpster and promptly landed on a jury! LMAO!He didn't get out of it and had to serve on a child exploitation case

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

this is why i think it's important for people who are able to serve on a jury without significant hardship to not try and weasel out of it. you might very well be the last thing standing between someone getting unjustly imprisoned or executed.

This is why I wish I got a criminal cop case. I'm ACAB as much as the anyone else but oh boy am I not going to say I am. I want to be on that jury

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Digital Jedi posted:

This is why I wish I got a criminal cop case. I'm ACAB as much as the anyone else but oh boy am I not going to say I am. I want to be on that jury

...so you can judge the case on its merits right?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
... right??

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh totally! I got a cousin who is a police officier, my uncle is part time and my dad is retired part timer! My family loves the police!

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I got called into jury duty for a murder case where someone had been shot about 5 years prior in the parking lot of a night club that no longer existed. I think CSI was a big thing at the time because the prosecutor had to remind us not to expect full dna and forensic analysis on what would otherwise be a straightforward shooting case with witnesses. The defendant was black and they asked about one of my survey answers where I basically thought cops were racist when it came to enforcement but assumed the trial process itself was fair (this was several years ago and it's not something I'd really thought about before then. Googling once I got home showed I was wrong and black defendants get disproportionately convicted then given harsher sentences for the same crimes). The lawyers seemed ok with keeping me after that, but the defendant asked to remove me. Never did find out how the trial went at the time, but I'm getting some hits now unless this is actually a different case and I just forgot some details. 2 guys convicted of life without parole for gang-related indiscriminate shooting into a crowd. 6 victims, 2 deaths, all innocent bystanders. Goddamn.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
This is what happens when you go to Bohemian Grove uninvited.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I just say I can judge cops fairly. Which is true! It's not my fault they expect the standard juror to be a bootlicker who think the cops can do no wrong. We literally had a guy say he couldn't judge cops fairly because he held them in such high regard. We also had some guy on the jury trying to get us all to watch 2000 Mules or whatever it was called. Luckily the case I was on was pretty open and shut, the prosecution didn't have poo poo. I did feel bad for the victim though. It was entirely possible that this guy had threatened her but the complete failure of the cops to follow up on anything meant we couldn't verify it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

The Alchemist posted:

This is what happens when you go to Bohemian Grove uninvited.

sacrificed to the owl statue?

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

re: police reports - This info probably won’t surprise anyone, but nearly two decades ago, I learned in my criminology program in college (and had confirmed at me by an ex’s racist dickwad uncle*) that police reports are typically crafted to make a prosecutor’s job easier in court. It was never presented to us in the context of “when this finally makes it to trial after a number of years,” but it makes a lot of sense given the five-year window suggested earlier. Cops are trained to do this because it helps clear the backlog if prosecutors have literally no contradictory or superfluous facts in evidence when the only evidence is the police report, and on top of that, police precincts (or whatever the appropriate lowest-level organizational unit is) receive more favorable argument for their budgets if their activities lead to more convictions… this is different from quotas in that quotas are raw numbers of citations/arrests, whereas backroom political funding negotiations come from successful convictions in prosecution. It’s a raft of bullshit and entirely dependent on the idea that the courts and police exist to make society as convenient as possible for cishet white dudes. Or something to that effect.

Also, nobody’s said it in a while, so: gently caress Alex Jones. And Norm.

* - this dude was a 30-something DC cop who joked among “safe” crowds that his favorite thing to do as a cop was nightstick Black folk while yelling “stop resisting.” He told this story in my presence right after he moved to the outer banks NC for “reasons,” so I should hope that’s because he got caught being a loving rear end in a top hat. I’m sure he’s part of the reason I developed a serious distrust of law enforcement.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Last time I got called for jury duty I went in to it thinking like "I'm gonna have a real high bar for convicting, they're gonna really have to work to make me believe the cops aren't just railroading some poor sod" and then it was a cop who was accused of abusing and stalking his ex wife and I was just like "oh yeah that fucker did it" just from them laying out what he was accused of.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
It's not just cops that are scum. I work security so I end up with lots of ex cops and prison guards, ex military types. A lot of the prison guards ended up here after getting fired for roughing up prisoners. Sad thing is that it pays more than they were making before.

Had one rear end in a top hat brag that he made a prisoner fall down several times. Only to get lots of questions about how a prisoner handcuffed and with leg restraints fell on his face with two guards watching him, and he ended up getting caught on camera.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

sacrificed to the owl statue?

Hey, I dont care to know what Alex Jones calls it, getting cucked by Roger Stone without his wife's consent is bad in any case

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

It's not just cops that are scum. I work security so I end up with lots of ex cops and prison guards, ex military types. A lot of the prison guards ended up here after getting fired for roughing up prisoners. Sad thing is that it pays more than they were making before.

Had one rear end in a top hat brag that he made a prisoner fall down several times. Only to get lots of questions about how a prisoner handcuffed and with leg restraints fell on his face with two guards watching him, and he ended up getting caught on camera.

Prison guards are usually the guys that are so lovely they failed the extremely low requirements for being a cop.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Is the trial on break like last Monday, or are they back today?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is the trial on break like last Monday, or are they back today?

They're back tomorrow

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the one time I was called for a jury it was for a drug offense and a lot of people got dismissed because of of their views on decriminalization

about halfway through the second day of jury selection we had a corrections officer get called who said he could not be impartial because his brother was also a corrections officer and was overseeing the defendants and had heard stories about them

at that point the defense objected and they sent us to recess and when we came back the entire jury pool was thrown out as tainted and we were dismissed

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

the one time I was called for a jury it was for a drug offense and a lot of people got dismissed because of of their views on decriminalization

about halfway through the second day of jury selection we had a corrections officer get called who said he could not be impartial because his brother was also a corrections officer and was overseeing the defendants and had heard stories about them

at that point the defense objected and they sent us to recess and when we came back the entire jury pool was thrown out as tainted and we were dismissed

lol they told us specifically to raise your hand and ask to talk to the lawyers privately if you have something like that. corrections officers are the lowest of the low.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My jury duty story: I was called for a federal terrorism case. It was a former university professor who was accused of recruiting for the Taliban after 9/11. Must have been in the mid-2000s. I filled out a questionnaire and didn't get selected. I also ate too many of the free donuts they gave us and got nauseous.

The guy got convicted if I remember right but I can't find it.

Every other time I got a summons I called the night before and didn't have to go in.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I've been called for jury duty three times.

Every time, they've asked me what my education is. I always tell them I have two master's degrees. I'm always the first one kicked out. First case was a robbery, next two were domestic assault.

That is my jury duty story.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

The last time I got called for jury duty it was when I was a social worker for one of the courts in the same county. I got called up for the jury panel and the defense attorney directly asked me how I felt about field sobriety tests. I very loudly proclaimed that I believed they were subjective and was likely to doubt the results. Not only was I first out the door but I'm pretty sure I poisoned the entire pool with my remarks. At least, I hope I did.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i've never been asked questions by someone. the one time i got so far as to answer questions, it was a written questionnaire.

all the other times, they dismissed us the night before or the day of because the cases got delayed or pled out