Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Char posted:

I understand it's a hard sell. I'd be happy with an expendable representative stating "we'd like to greenlight nuclear options but we have two referendums that clearly show Italians don't want nuclear energy, so we have to look into other avenues".

Both Salvini and Calenda explicitly said yes to nuclear

https://www.msn.com/it-it/notizie/i...gia/ar-AA10JB9y

Which hovers back to CDX being the worst moral choice while having enough juicy ideas to grab votes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I might sound contrarian, but these proposals are related to the cost of energy, there's no push for environmental policies.
Nuclear being (mostly) cleaner than gas and coal is a side benefit that allows everyone to put a green sticker on these points.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Char posted:

I might sound contrarian, but these proposals are related to the cost of energy, there's no push for environmental policies.
Nuclear being (mostly) cleaner than gas and coal is a side benefit that allows everyone to put a green sticker on these points.

I am biased on this topic since i was born and lived ever since in a city with a huge ironworks plant that grazed the drying clothes with a thick layer of sulfur, so for me the core topic of environmental policies is not breathing sulfur or other weird poo poo provided by heavy power or industrial production, everything else is a nice extra. Also most green initiatives are backed by cheap baseline power and if you remove gas, oil and coal you have little alternatives to nuclear power. Hydro is hosed by warming climate and more importantly the word Vajont is still burned in the memories of multiple generations so that's out too IMHO.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Do not misunderstand my position, I'm pro-nuclear.
But to pursue that avenue, there are two referendums that need to be ignored.

My point is that the reason we're having any semblance of discussion regarding nuclear energy in Italy is that we can't have cheap energy right now, nuclear is an option we've not explored and it conveniently allows anyone who wants to propose it to put a big green sticker on their program, it's possible to spin a narrative where everyone who is pro-nuclear is doing it for the environment.

Without the Russia-Ukraine war, noone would've cared about that.
FdI and Lega are strongly against the ban on diesel cars, for instance.

Char fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 17, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Char posted:

nuclear is an option we've not explored

Caorso was completed and operational days before the referendum, we could have used mega if not gigawatts out of an already paid for reactor. One of the biggest gripes i have with the referendum.

While it's clear that there is mostly an economic motive behind restarting nuclear, the other environmental issues are job related ones which are far harder to tackle on. Every known italian superfund is being kept operational just to not look bad on the press, shutting down and clearing ilva would be an assured end of government moment for instance.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Holy poo poo, if people wants to experience lovecraftian-grade existential dread, the sole 24 daily live article on the elections is like watching the loving abyss.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I missed it, what was it about?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Char posted:

I missed it, what was it about?

People that are supposedly going to lead us into our glorious climate apocalypse bickering like children or worse.

Le scenate per gli inviti da Vespa in particolare o Conte che cambia idea sul PD ogni due ore

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In other fun local news, a US troop from Aviano just ran over a kid while having a BAC 5x the allowed value. News on the vine seem that it will get handled by US so a gentle tap on the wrist.

In other unfun national news, the official list of parasites to vote for has been ratified.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 23, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
is there no politics happening?

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Nothing worth mentioning.
Elections on the 25th of September, and a depressing show of bad social media management, bizarre statements, wacky or straight absurd solutions.

Char fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 29, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

crispix posted:

Only bad politics, which are starting to look like a surrealist movie. The few Italian posters would have to doomscrolling to post and honestly gently caress it. I’ll jump this year and watch Rome burn, no good outcomes possible.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

crispix posted:

I've found an answer to this question!

https://twitter.com/CrazyItalianPol/status/1569578284567904256

Char fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 15, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

My dude, unless you imply payment for services, any 18 won't do jack poo poo let alone vote for a magical madame Tussaud talking wax doll.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

SlowBloke posted:

Only bad politics, which are starting to look like a surrealist movie. The few Italian posters would have to doomscrolling to post and honestly gently caress it. I’ll jump this year and watch Rome burn, no good outcomes possible.

i'm sorry I thought this was the Irish thread, they look a lot alike :/

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
LETS GET READY TO RUMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBLLLLLEEEEEEEE

https://youtu.be/p5vrgr92u10

Char
Jan 5, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

LETS GET READY TO RUMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBLLLLLEEEEEEEE

I think your post is too serious.
https://twitter.com/pietroraffa/status/1572854933631934464

Try this, instead!

"Un contributo costruttivo" indeed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Char posted:

I think your post is too serious.
https://twitter.com/pietroraffa/status/1572854933631934464

Try this, instead!

"Un contributo costruttivo" indeed.

I thought posting the last two VoD of Propaganda to be a tad too on the nose....

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Tempo di merda su tutta la penisola quindi le urne sono a stento al 19% alle 12(contro 19,5% alla stessa ora nel 2018 che comunque non era sta tonnara e durava due giorni).

Edit:messo le crocette, mai sentito tanto male a votare gente il cui unico valore sono gli organi ivi contenuti.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 25, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What time will the polls close / do your press have a best-guess at close of polls for the result?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tesseraction posted:

What time will the polls close / do your press have a best-guess at close of polls for the result?

Polls close at 2300 CET. I would guess viable data starting from 0600 CET, anything else is self reported stuff which has been historically unreliable(CHUDS hate to be mocked so they usually vote far right and report centre right or centre).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol an 11pm close is extremely italian

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

i say swears online posted:

lol an 11pm close is extremely italian

Single day like this one is relatively rare, usually it's a two day ordeal(with more reasonable hours like 0800-1900) so i'm expecting a mess on data for the first few hours after closing.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 25, 2022

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

SlowBloke posted:

Single day like this one is relatively rare, usually it's a two day ordeal(with more reasonable hours like 0800-1900) so i'm expecting a mess on data for the first few hours after closing.

Do we know how was the single day vote decided? I didn't hear anything about the reasoning behind it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tafferling posted:

Do we know how was the single day vote decided? I didn't hear anything about the reasoning behind it.

A cynical mind would say that given the minimal voter expectation there was no need for multiple dates, as more days costs more in ballot staff and security. In a less snark way, i have no idea, no articles on national papers on this topic.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
If it's going to be a landslide win, with these abstention rate, we're gonna know one-two hours after closing.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1574142605306171392

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah just got that alert. Hoping it's wrong but seems like Italy might be going down a dark loving path.

Which I guess means that as a Brit I can say welcome to the dark timeline's zenith.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
No surprises here.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Data seems in flux but heavily biased towards the wish.com fash

Live data available here for reference https://elezioni.ilsole24ore.com/elezioni2022/politiche/home.shtml

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the hitler fan winning or something? :(

Char
Jan 5, 2013
It's winning so hard it's going to be the most stable government ever - based on how many loyal representatives it's going to have in our Parliament.
It's winning so hard it's getting close to having enough representatives to change the Constitution without needing a referendum.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Char posted:

It's winning so hard it's going to be the most stable government ever - based on how many loyal representatives it's going to have in our Parliament.
It's winning so hard it's getting close to having enough representatives to change the Constitution without needing a referendum.

I wonder how quickly the EU will start their proceedings to gently caress us like Hungary. Days? Hours?

Char
Jan 5, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

I wonder how quickly the EU will start their proceedings to gently caress us like Hungary. Days? Hours?

Dunno, we have different leverage towards the EU compared to Hungary.
Remember, Tajani is the PPE VP.

Char fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 26, 2022

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Lega is considered to be overestimated - perhaps going under 9%.
It's very likely Salvini has met his end as a politician.

edit: and PD seems to be lower than 19%, which is its historical low.
Fratelli d'Italia seems to be around 26%: the best result considering individual parties and more than the whole center-left coalition.

Char fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 25, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

lol?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

There's no basis for doing that yet, unlike with Hungary. I'd expect the first rake, if Salvini doesn't torpedo the Tolkien government, just to keep things interesting, to be a ham-fisted attempt to redistribute Draghi's spending plan for COVID-19 recovery funds.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
It's a wrap for me, time to go to sleep.
Polls were right.

Once we'll have a new government I'll report on our new situation.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So one of my closest friends moved from the US to Italy today to start his PhD. I guess it's time for me to start paying attention to Italian politics.

What the gently caress just happened?

Apologies for such an open ended question from an ignorant American, but I'm kind of worried for my friend at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Eiba posted:

So one of my closest friends moved from the US to Italy today to start his PhD. I guess it's time for me to start paying attention to Italian politics.

What the gently caress just happened?

Apologies for such an open ended question from an ignorant American, but I'm kind of worried for my friend at this point.

It's the new friendly neighborhood neofascism, if you're rich/temporary you have nothing to fear. It will be a bloodbath for poor people of every race though,