Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Booky posted:

do the robots in megaman battle network have souls

Yeah, MegaMan is the weird one. I'm not sure if he has like two souls or like a fused one or just one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

copyright law has nothing to do with the morality of the situation

Okay, so do you think it's immoral to use the same artistic style as someone else?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ai art was fun when people were just posting the goofy mashups for kicks but it sucks now that people are trying to like, monetize it

also machine translations are total rear end for anything too complex; like open up a article on jp wikipedia or on someones 20 year old fansite or w/e and google tl just Cannot figure out if chars are guys or ladies

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tunicate posted:

'Derivative Work' absolutely is a legal term, created as part of copyright law.

"isn't just as legal term" admits that it is in some part used in that but isn't the only usage. You weirdo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's coming up on the one-year anniversary of Blue Reflection Second Light and I'm thinking I should play it again for the secret ending (that adds like 10 whole seconds).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Okay, so do you think it's immoral to use the same artistic style as someone else?

i really don't care about the ai art argument tbh because it's so bad at its job right now. i was just saying that, the appeal to legality was extraordinarily stupid

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like the entire point of AI Art is just to copy people without needing the people. That goes against the spirit of copyright but no one cares about that poo poo anymore, just strictly literal readings

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

also ty for all ur mmbn soul answers!!

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah, MegaMan is the weird one. I'm not sure if he has like two souls or like a fused one or just one.

iirc he has One but also hes a real kid jammed into the computer?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Tunicate posted:

you are too stupid to take part in this conversation. please go somewhere else

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

mio owns

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Looper posted:

mio owns

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

exquisite tea posted:

It's coming up on the one-year anniversary of Blue Reflection Second Light and I'm thinking I should play it again for the secret ending (that adds like 10 whole seconds).

yeah it might be time for me to go back and grab the platinum trophy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tunicate posted:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The robots in mmbn have souls as evidence by the Cross Soul system allowing Megaman to fuse with other Net Navis or something along those lines.

If they did not have souls there would be nothing to cross.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Has anyone assembled a girl tierlist for BR2 the way people do for 13 Sentinels because I have some spicy choices.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tunicate posted:

So you think artistic styles ought to be possible to restrict under copyright law, then?

i think copyright law is often a faulty bandaid that is ostensibly meant to protect creators but is abused by corporate media. it irks me that art needs to be underline with a totem of capital. making an argument that is supposedly creative supportive (style should not be copyrightable) to argue for what has the potential to be one of the more anti creator developments in the history of art is evil. your posts are a open sore in this thread.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone assembled a girl tierlist for BR2 the way people do for 13 Sentinels because I have some spicy choices.

post a link

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
why are the images in this tiermaker so blurry

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Booky posted:

also ty for all ur mmbn soul answers!!

iirc he has One but also hes a real kid jammed into the computer?

MegaMan.EXE isn't actually a real kid turned program, he was just made using protag Lan's dead twin's DNA. Whose dad and creator had to slightly modify because using 100% of Lan/Hub's DNA could carry the risk of Lan getting hurt if MegaMan did. Cause Capcom.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hm, maybe my choices are not that spicy after all...

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 26, 2022

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The Colonel posted:

overall i think if you want to play japanese games sooner you should just try learning japanese. unironically. it's hard but it's worth giving a try

The cliffhanger at the end of Trails in the Sky 1 was what finally got me to seriously start learning Japanese in 2012 because it looked like we would never get the rest of the series (JRPGs on PC were dead and the PSP was even more dead in the west).
I finished Sky the Third just as they finally announced a release date for SC and then the series got super popular and PC JRPGs turned out to not be dead at all :v:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

holy poo poo so many posts what happ.. uh ok

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

:evilbuddy:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Being between jobs means I am forcing myself to complete a lot of mid-rear end RPGs that I bought and never played rather than spend money on things I would rather be playing (hi Trails from Zero). So here's the interesting debacles instead of boring poo poo I nuked.

Caligula Effect Overdose: I have reached the "we're juggling napalm" bit of this one but also I didn't realize that Overdose added a whole other campaign? Maybe? Or that the original game didn't have a female protag option. So basically after I got the part where I mashed too fast and joined the villains on accident I went to look up "wait what in the hell was added to Overdose" and discovered a lot of stuff I took for granted was upgrades and additions, like the very smooth NPC unlock system was an improvement, or "being a lady and that affecting plot interactions", or so on. Very curious how it's going to wrap That One Character who ran off after our battle because that all seems insanely unresolved.

Full Metal Furies: Hey did you know that between Rogue Legacy 1 and Rogue Legacy 2, Cellar Door Games tried making a Scott Pilgrim/River City Ransom style brawler-RPG? I mean, "tried" is cruel, because they did succeed, and this is a meaty little title, but boy was this studio high on its own supply with hubris after RL1, because they straight up hid a massive metapuzzle layer locking something like 40-50% of the game away between you figuring out ciphers and doing a lot of poo poo which is counterintuitive and has a lot of "you are never discovering this if someone doesn't tell you" to it. Enter a button combination after death in one specific world. Use one character's very specific upgrade to slow down time and find out that the music is a morse code pattern on this specific hidden stage. Unlock a level by HITTING THE PAUSE BUTTON AT A VERY SPECIFIC SPACE ON THE OVERWORLD MAP. Bonkers poo poo.

Also the co-op system is an interesting idea executed very poorly if you're not playing with another human, because you're required to have 2x people in a party at all times, if you're solo, it puts the other character on a tag button, but it's real clear that one of the characters (the Sniper) is meant to be used with another human operating as cover fire or a distraction, since their primary attack is a bolt-action rifle you're aiming with the second stick, and god help you when there are fast characters or tiny characters who swarm you around if you're where all the focus is. All the characters play very differently. Make sure to level them all to unlock things though! Truly galaxy-brain design chops from this team.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

MegaMan.EXE isn't actually a real kid turned program, he was just made using protag Lan's dead twin's DNA. Whose dad and creator had to slightly modify because using 100% of Lan/Hub's DNA could carry the risk of Lan getting hurt if MegaMan did. Cause Capcom.

i see.....

i feel like thats still 95% a real person tho

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

secretly best girl posted:

Caligula Effect Overdose: I have reached the "we're juggling napalm" bit of this one but also I didn't realize that Overdose added a whole other campaign? Maybe? Or that the original game didn't have a female protag option. So basically after I got the part where I mashed too fast and joined the villains on accident I went to look up "wait what in the hell was added to Overdose" and discovered a lot of stuff I took for granted was upgrades and additions, like the very smooth NPC unlock system was an improvement, or "being a lady and that affecting plot interactions", or so on. Very curious how it's going to wrap That One Character who ran off after our battle because that all seems insanely unresolved.

I've been gradually playing through this (tho I stalled when XB3 came out) and when I found out that the original didn't have an autobattle option for other party members I immediately thought about how the dungeon crawling must have been the most exhausting, tedious crap ever.

I think the story is kinda neat but that combat system just fundamentally doesn't work for me outside of the boss fights! At least it's easy as hell.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, playing this, even this "fixed" version, is making me real curious what of the death by a million cuts in the original game got tidied up for 2 that so many people were so much more positive on that sequel. The combat is an interesting idea done insanely tediously, especially after you're 3+ people deep.

Also this is the first game on a modern system I've played in probably 5+ years which doesn't have a continue option OR autosaving, so let me tell you I set this thing down for a day when I ran into a dude 3x my level in a dungeon by accident, couldn't ever land a hit, and died, discovering "oh, all my mapping, for nothing".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
overdose's story additions are a huge double edged sword. the musician route stuff is essential for fleshing out some of the characters but it's also absolutely essential for fleshing out the new characters specifically because some of them get literally nothing outside of it. choosing not to join them is actively locking yourself out of proper resolution for 1/3 of the plotlines in the game. also most of the new dungeons it adds are just the worst ones, the bathhouse is barely a dungeon at all and has one of the most unnecessary cutscenes in the game that only continues to set a bad first impression for a character who isn't even actually that badly handled in the grand scheme, and the pyramid is just horrible, horrible, horribly laid out full of obnoxious unskippable fights. there is no other dungeon in the entire game that bad. the lesbian party member is the most interesting self-contained thing overdose adds but her writing is also jarringly uneven and has a very unsatisfying resolution, and she just doesn't work at all for the male protag because they gave her the most obnoxious surface-level gimmick in the cast and basically have to ignore it if you play as the guy

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They're all S. Certainly Kirara "I loving love trashy isekai and maid uniforms" Kuno is not in the bottom.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i dont think there's really a character in br2 i'd say i particularly dislike. i was kinda eh on mio at first but her dynamic with ao gets a lot weirder than i expected in a fun way and kirara's great for being a less self-conscious otaku-y girl to bounce off that side of ao, compared to rena who has a hard time being open about that part of herself

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

secretly best girl posted:

Full Metal Furies: Hey did you know that between Rogue Legacy 1 and Rogue Legacy 2, Cellar Door Games tried making a Scott Pilgrim/River City Ransom style brawler-RPG? I mean, "tried" is cruel, because they did succeed, and this is a meaty little title, but boy was this studio high on its own supply with hubris after RL1, because they straight up hid a massive metapuzzle layer locking something like 40-50% of the game away between you figuring out ciphers and doing a lot of poo poo which is counterintuitive and has a lot of "you are never discovering this if someone doesn't tell you" to it. Enter a button combination after death in one specific world. Use one character's very specific upgrade to slow down time and find out that the music is a morse code pattern on this specific hidden stage. Unlock a level by HITTING THE PAUSE BUTTON AT A VERY SPECIFIC SPACE ON THE OVERWORLD MAP. Bonkers poo poo.

Also the co-op system is an interesting idea executed very poorly if you're not playing with another human, because you're required to have 2x people in a party at all times, if you're solo, it puts the other character on a tag button, but it's real clear that one of the characters (the Sniper) is meant to be used with another human operating as cover fire or a distraction, since their primary attack is a bolt-action rifle you're aiming with the second stick, and god help you when there are fast characters or tiny characters who swarm you around if you're where all the focus is. All the characters play very differently. Make sure to level them all to unlock things though! Truly galaxy-brain design chops from this team.

the game was decently fun but my friends and i fell off way before we hit the normal end let alone the super meta layer

not to mention it had THE most obnoxious writing i've ever seen in a video game. dire. worse than the nadir of borderlands. i never skip cutscenes in anything but after the first 30 minutes i was very glad for the in-game option to turn all dialog off, forever

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Hello, I actually translate video games for a living.

The Colonel posted:

they dont skimp on it so much for dialog-heavy games anymore, again modern super robot wars translations are actually pretty good. but they still do for games that are mostly like system and menu text because that's little enough they probably dont think anyone will notice or care

Not to say story text would be easy for an AI, but I think system text would be orders of magnitude harder, actually, because you tend you have like a single word with zero context. This is how you get mistakes like Miss -> Fraulein. System text assumes familiarity not just with the rest of the work but also all video games everywhere. Even a skill description assumes a basic familiarity with how the game actually plays, which can be extremely hard to infer when all you have is a spreadsheet and the tutorials haven't been written yet. This is why translation companies like to only hire people familiar with the type of work they're translating.

cheetah7071 posted:

I think some of the "argument" here is us just having different things in mind for what a machine-assisted translation looks like. Like yeah I do think it's possible (not guaranteed, but possible) that a machine could produce a plausible script by itself in 50 years, but in 5-15 years we might get things that aren't capable of that at all but use AI principles to be useful tools in a translator's toolbox

e: While you could get it today for stuff like single-word translations, the AI part would be noticing when recurring phrases get translated in similar ways, even as the syntactic structure gets played with, which requires an understanding of how natural language syntax works

ee: and even for single-word translations, the machine needs a decent idea of which parts of the input correspond to which parts of the output to even tell what each word got translated as

This literally already exists, and it's called Translation Memory. The program checks the cell against every other cell and looks at how close they are (ie: 77% similarity) or for terms that have been used before. There are like 3-5 competing programs that do the same thing, and even the Touhou fan translation wiki uses a version of it. It doesn't take AI and it's not new.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 26, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Clarste posted:

This literally already exists, and it's called Translation Memory. The program checks the cell against every other cell and looks at how close they are (ie: 77% similarity) or for terms that have been used before. There are like 3-5 competing programs that do the same thing, and even the Touhou fan translation wiki uses a version of it. It doesn't take AI and it's not new.

neat

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

dmboogie posted:

not to mention it had THE most obnoxious writing i've ever seen in a video game. dire. worse than the nadir of borderlands. i never skip cutscenes in anything but after the first 30 minutes i was very glad for the in-game option to turn all dialog off, forever

I don't know if you reached the point where a cutscene literally stops in the middle to tell you "did you know you can skip cutscenes? hit start" and then repeats two characters arguing "did not" "did too" for over two dozen lines. That was a choice.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Clarste posted:

Hello, I actually translate video games for a living.

Not to say story text would be easy for an AI, but I think system text would be orders of magnitude harder, actually, because you tend you have like a single word with zero context. This is how you get mistakes like Miss -> Fraulein. System text assumes familiarity not just with the rest of the work but also all video games everywhere. Even a skill description assumes a basic familiarity with how the game actually plays, which can be extremely hard to infer when all you have is a spreadsheet and the tutorials haven't been written yet. This is why translation companies like to only hire people familiar with the type of work they're translating.

In (non-game) software I work on we're supposed to provide context descriptions and not just strings to reduce this sort of problem; it's a shame it doesn't seem to be appreciably used in games (not that it's a magic bullet, stuff still gets confused, and it's honestly hard to write context that's helpful).

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Booky posted:

do the robots in megaman battle network have souls

You should read Pluto.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Colonel posted:

yeah i dont think there's really a character in br2 i'd say i particularly dislike. i was kinda eh on mio at first but her dynamic with ao gets a lot weirder than i expected in a fun way and kirara's great for being a less self-conscious otaku-y girl to bounce off that side of ao, compared to rena who has a hard time being open about that part of herself
After a certain point I do feel like Shiho and Hinako don't get as much fun stuff to do, though Hinako has a whole another game I suppose. But Shiho is introduced as Kokoro's childhood friend and after a while it feels like those two characters stop interacting and then her role in the overall dynamic is kind of nebulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Clarste posted:

Translation Memory

For others that are interested it doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the pro stuff but there is a quite competent free tool for this called OmegaT if you just want to play and you can even get a CAT plugin for machine translation with it called OPUS-CAT on GitHub.