Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And "friendly Borg splinter faction" has been a thing since Voyager, even TNG if you stretch it. So there's nothing really new there.

One of Picard's principle issues is that it's a TNG continuation that, by it's stated purpose from multiple top level people involved in its creation, vehemently does NOT want to be a continuation of TNG. So it's been at war with itself ontologically since its inception and has just now in its final year surrendered the battle, gave in, and retooled itself into TNG-2. But it's still not going to actually be TNG-2 because all the ingrained foibles from its last two seasons are still with it, so it will probably suck, but whatever. It's a TV show, I'm not going to start cutting my fingers off over it like some people here are wont to do whenever they see something bad on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would be incredibly surprised if it was worse than S2. One of my biggest gripes with S2 is that 90% of the show is 2-3 people in a room talking (which is probably because this was filmed in the middle of Covid).

I'm also convinced that when they made S2 they sketched out the beginning and the end, with no real idea of what to put in the middle. I feel like a lot of streaming shows tend to have this problem, and I'm not sure if it's because writing is being rushed in order to get product out the door faster, or what.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Powered Descent posted:

I thought the last episode's detailed callbacks to Balance of Terror worked fantastically well.

Redoing Balance of Terror was a ballsy move and I was amazed it worked.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would be incredibly surprised if it was worse than S2. One of my biggest gripes with S2 is that 90% of the show is 2-3 people in a room talking (which is probably because this was filmed in the middle of Covid).

I'm also convinced that when they made S2 they sketched out the beginning and the end, with no real idea of what to put in the middle. I feel like a lot of streaming shows tend to have this problem, and I'm not sure if it's because writing is being rushed in order to get product out the door faster, or what.

From what I've been able to piece together from various interviews and comments he's made, Terry Matalas only wanted to do Season 3 of Picard, or at least the idea he had for Season 3, but couldn't because of Covid. So rather than put the show into hiatus for a second straight year, they created a compromise season to just get something out there to keep the show's engine running and use it set the stage for the story Matalas actually wanted to tell (ie: kicking all the younger actors off the show to pave the way for the old farts returning en mass).

So that's like the only excuse left that I can think of, it was a season no one actually wanted to do, but had to do out of obligation, so that's why it's so low effort and slapdashed. Of course, that hinges on Season 3 somehow actually being good. If Season 3 is good and clearly shows that this was where everyone's real time and effort and passion went into, then the theory is valid, but it's just another C- piece of crap like the other two, then no it was all just bullshit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eimi posted:

Picard was so bad it threatened to get Mike to stop liking Star Trek as a concept.

The ending to his s1 Picard review sums things up pretty well.

That was really well said. Star Trek is about something, about us being the best we can be, about pushing our boundaries and growing as individuals and as a society. Picard... was about 10 episodes a season.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i think you guys should give picard another shot - they actually went back and made a lot of changes after the initial airing, that fixed all the problems we had with the show. watch it all again and see what you think

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That DICK! posted:

i think you guys should give picard another shot - they actually went back and made a lot of changes after the initial airing, that fixed all the problems we had with the show. watch it all again and see what you think

read this in Q's voice

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

This individual is trying to hurt people

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That DICK! posted:

I will not be had by this thread

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That DICK! posted:

Did they fix it being on a streaming service I have?

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Picard is a perfectly good word cloud of things Patrick Steward doesn't like about Donald Trump. Which they then tried to stretch out for into like 7 hours of television. It was just bafflingly, incoherently weird and bad.

Hey remember when quirky science lady had an arc that started with murdering her boyfriend and ending with her eating a car battery then becoming a Borg and it was somehow about how she needed to discover the power of friendship?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

That DICK! posted:

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

balls of terror

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tighclops posted:

This individual is trying to hurt people
It's a telling username/post combo, to be sure.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This invasion of RLM into the thread won't be complete without this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiHo61Fw8RY

I actually haven't seen Picard, but it's pretty accurate to how basically all dialog in every prestige show feels these days

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Pastamania posted:

Picard is a perfectly good word cloud of things Patrick Steward doesn't like about Donald Trump. Which they then tried to stretch out for into like 7 hours of television. It was just bafflingly, incoherently weird and bad.

Hey remember when quirky science lady had an arc that started with murdering her boyfriend and ending with her eating a car battery then becoming a Borg and it was somehow about how she needed to discover the power of friendship?

I think my unpopular opinion is that Picard Season 1 had some really good ideas and with a little tightening would of been great. They fumbled the landing and the production team clearly didn't care about Trek and that left a sour taste in people's mouths. Season 2 Picard had not as many good ideas but a production team that clearly cared and is an incoherent mess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think my unpopular opinion is that Picard Season 1 had some really good ideas and with a little tightening would of been great. They fumbled the landing and the production team clearly didn't care about Trek and that left a sour taste in people's mouths. Season 2 Picard had not as many good ideas but a production team that clearly cared and is an incoherent mess.

Picard Season 1 would have benefited from taking a cue from Season 1 of The Mandalorian; tell 8 different yet interconnected stories across episodes 1-8 and then tie them all together in episodes 9 and 10. Picard Season 2 would have benefited from just taking the year off and not even bothering.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Picard should have been pulled off the bench to be Federation President to save the universe by doing whatever it is Patrick Stewart thought Picard needed to punch or bang is way through, but then Cincinnatus off to his vineyard afterwards never to be seen again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

This invasion of RLM into the thread won't be complete without this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiHo61Fw8RY

I actually haven't seen Picard, but it's pretty accurate to how basically all dialog in every prestige show feels these days

Moving from "With the first link, the chain is forged" and his fiery courtroom speech in favor of Data's humanity to pompous, syrupy speeches similar to this is a really sad downgrade for Picard.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Remember when Worf killed the helmsman? Broke his neck in three places.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Remember when Worf killed the helmsman? Broke his neck in three places.

That's like eight episodes of TNG. Be specific man!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm start using the phrase "Real Freakasaurus" in real life now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pastamania posted:

My favorite part was where they took a somewhat annoying tryhard character from Picard S1 and made him really cool and someone I wanted a whole show about then killed him unceremoniously off screen.

Like Rios went from a wacky rogue Outrageous Okona with a tragic backstory to a Starfleet captain who, in his brief moments in command in his ship, was as cool as Riker or Pike. And then he died on the way back to his home planet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Honestly Voyager isn't even that bad. Like at least its loving Star Trek. I don't what the gently caress Discovery , Enterprise , and Picard are.

The only problem with Voyager is that Neelix is on the show and goddamn Neelix is the worst Star Trek character.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't recall S2 Rios being a cool captain. He was captain for five minutes, about all of it he spent yelling orders at his entire crew to stop shooting the Borg queen, which they completely ignored the whole time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Honestly Voyager isn't even that bad. Like at least its loving Star Trek. I don't what the gently caress Discovery , Enterprise , and Picard are.

The only problem with Voyager is that Neelix is on the show and goddamn Neelix is the worst Star Trek character.
It's not actively bad like much of the new Trek shows, despite some dumb plotlines. It's just really boring a lot of the time, and disappointing because they squandered nearly every bit of potential of the show's premise.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/70sscifi/status/1574313591225946113?s=20&t=6sJwKpKuq9go_1qNwE7oeA

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't recall S2 Rios being a cool captain. He was captain for five minutes, about all of it he spent yelling orders at his entire crew to stop shooting the Borg queen, which they completely ignored the whole time.

And then, from the vantage point of the crew, he vanished and the problem was solved.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay "Clues" is a very fun episode.

e: "First Contact" was maybe not as fun but was probably even better. Goddamn.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 26, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Voyager is great if you're really not paying attention, it's just that any attention reveals how little actual good stuff is in there.

What would be the worst Trek crew though? Neelix and Mayweather obviously, and Wesley. But who else are just the worst?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I would frame a print of this and hang it in my house.

There's so much great vintage scifi pulp art out there I would kill for.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know I'm sure it's not intentional but Wesley criticizes Geordi's design for a panel to the left of the warp core and says it needs a redundant component or it will blow out. That's the exact panel that blows out in Generations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neelix improves significantly when he and Kes break up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's because when they have one main character trait (Kes's boyfriend) the writers lean into it over and over to the exclusion of other character elements or balance until it's just unbearable.

See also Troi being an empath.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He played a pretty good Ferengi in False Profits

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

See also Troi being an empath.

*alien captain appears on viewscreen*
Captain: I'm Captain Kathryn Janeway, of the Federation starship Voyager. This is my counselor, Neel-
Neelix: YOU WANT TO gently caress MY GIRLFRIEND DON'T YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BonHair posted:

Voyager is great if you're really not paying attention, it's just that any attention reveals how little actual good stuff is in there.

What would be the worst Trek crew though? Neelix and Mayweather obviously, and Wesley. But who else are just the worst?

Chakotay is such a boring and bland character. He might be even worse than the nothing character of Mayweather, because Chakotay drains the energy from every scene he is in.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chakotay was the first and greatest victim of Voyager abandoning the joint crew premise almost immediately. Once they'd decided they weren't going to do anything substantive with the Marquis outside of bad actors like Seska and that guy who tries to sell them out the only hook he has is being a poorly written Native American, the obvious thing they really should have done was made him a combative XO who doesn't just become a Starfleet cog the second he gets the position but lol

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

No Dignity posted:

Chakotay was the first and greatest victim of Voyager abandoning the joint crew premise almost immediately. Once they'd decided they weren't going to do anything substantive with the Marquis outside of bad actors like Seska and that guy who tries to sell them out the only hook he has is being a poorly written Native American, the obvious thing they really should have done was made him a combative XO who doesn't just become a Starfleet cog the second he gets the position but lol

it's the same "all main characters have one trait" problem that Neelix -- they leaned really hard on his vague animism to the exclusion of everything else, and there's very little drama you can milk out of a guy whose only real personality factor is that his spirituality makes him really calm all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There was a seed of a great idea in Chakotay when he realizes he’s kind of a dumbass and so many people just straight up duped him. That was a legit good scene with Tuvok.

Unfortunately, it’s Voyager so it was never brought up again.