Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i should have jumped on that sd card sale, i thought i'd be waiting longer. any good sales on em rn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Not that I've seen but there'll be big deals once Black Friday comes around, potentially 1Tb for sub-$100 level of deal.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Keep in mind some locations will pretend like it's a deep sale for black Friday when it's just a regular sale

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Keep in mind some locations will pretend like it's a deep sale for black Friday when it's just a regular sale

Yes, always check one of the price graphing sites when looking at a deal. Anyone who's into headphones should be used to doing that when 11/11 rolls around. Storage tends to always be on heavy discount for the big corporate holidays like Black Friday and Prime Day though, so it's a good time to play the Amazon SD Card Lottery.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Barreft posted:

e: also the scaling filter, i don't really notice anything. is it a per game thing? what should I leave as default, linear?
The scaling filter won't kick in if you're running gamescope at native resolution (i.e., 800p in handheld). By default, it will kick in when you connect an external monitor, say to scale 720p to 1440 or 4K.

Linear is probably the best default choice since it's equally (in)offensive on all kinds of content and doesn't take much GPU, but if you're picky about it (which I am) it's rarely the optimal one.

For pixel-based or retro-styled games I usually use integer scaling. For 3D games I use FSR if they support anti-aliasing since FSR requires a good AA image on the input. So far everything I've played has fallen into one of those two categories but if they didn't, I guess I'd leave it on linear. I never use nearest.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mescal posted:

i should have jumped on that sd card sale, i thought i'd be waiting longer. any good sales on em rn?

Yeah like they said nothing yet. I’ll post a good deal if I see one though

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wii U emulation is insanely good on the deck. It took some time to get everything figured out, but once I did these games are running better than gamecube games. Full 60 fps in Wind Waker HD type poo poo.

Been playing that and The Simpsons: Hit and Run. This thing absolutely owns.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Guess who got his Deck today, only to discover that it has a stuck green pixel right in the middle of the screen?

I’m sick too, so it would have been perfect for wallowing in bed :negative:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I got my tracking number so now I get to be in pain knowing when it's delivered I'm going to be at work and won't be able to get it until the next day.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
One thing I don't get about the filtering is it scales things really weirdly sometimes. Like, I was streaming a game from my desktop-- 1080p on it-- but the scaling was completely corrupting some of the text in the menus. In addition, if i have an external monitor hooked up and i set the games resolution in steam to be the native resolution fo the monitor it *still* does something weird to gently caress with the text

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I was waffling on keeping my deck but am gonna keep it.

Gonna try to get Battle.net going after work!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I can't wait to play Spooky Halloween Games on this, like Dusk and Alien Isolation.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Do add-ons need to be installed to the same storage as the games? I.e. if I install Proton GE can that be on the deck storage but my games on SD card?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think all add-ons default to the internal drive.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
Put down the deposit on 17/8, and just got the mail! Can’t wait to sniff some vents.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Got the email for a 256GB today after ordering on 3 September, the order backlog must be almost nonexistent now

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Party Boat posted:

Got the email for a 256GB today after ordering on 3 September, the order backlog must be almost nonexistent now

based on user submissions it's around 2-6 of september or so, so next thursday will probably all caught up at this rate

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's good to hear, I reserved on 6/17 and just got the email last week but was too busy with work travel to finish the purchase.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

based on user submissions it's around 2-6 of september or so, so next thursday will probably all caught up at this rate

For what it is worth, I reserved mine on September 7th and did not get an email :smith:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

PantsBandit posted:

Wii U emulation is insanely good on the deck. It took some time to get everything figured out, but once I did these games are running better than gamecube games. Full 60 fps in Wind Waker HD type poo poo.

Been playing that and The Simpsons: Hit and Run. This thing absolutely owns.

Do you have a tutorial you followed? I've been trying for 2 days off and on to get Wind Waker HD working on my deck.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

nothing here from the 30th. a little later in canada maybe? edit: it was the 29th

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

nothing here from the 30th. a little later in canada maybe? edit: it was the 29th

Canadian orders are paused for the time being

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

Sorry, I was only looking at US submissions

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

leftist heap posted:

Canadian orders are paused for the time being

paused, eh?

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
I have this problem with the deck where there is this hideous creature staring at me whenever the screen goes dark.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

Do you have a tutorial you followed? I've been trying for 2 days off and on to get Wind Waker HD working on my deck.

There is a comment on this video that is the best walk through I've found so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kTbvJZPxC4

Might take a little additional googling if you get stuck, probably best not to get into the weeds with it here.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
98% so I should get my invite on Thursday, 15 days after the reservation. I'm guessing that we are really close to the end of the wait list.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

98% so I should get my invite on Thursday, 15 days after the reservation. I'm guessing that we are really close to the end of the wait list.

Which model?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

v1ld posted:

Which model?

64. Don't really see any point to the others.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guess I'm a proud owner of a steam deck now :toot:

Time to emulate the gently caress out of everything

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Fedex says I'm somehow magically going to get my deck tomorrow and yet it hasn't moved from Carol since saturday.

Frustration starting to climb...

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014
I received mine as well after ordering last Monday. I feel like some stuff is missing? or broken? Not sure how to put it. In desktop mode, the return to gaming mode icon did not work. It just opened a notepad that was blank. Discover also does not work, keeps telling me to verify my internet. I think the sources might be wrong? I have no idea.

I did look up the return to gaming mode and filled it in, so that is fixed. Googling the discovery thing, can't find a fix yet.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

what's this percentage?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Do any of you have any creaky, flexy spots around the case edges? I’ve got one by the sd slot. I can’t remember if it was there before I swapped ssds, but I was really careful following the iFixit guide

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

Do any of you have any creaky, flexy spots around the case edges? I’ve got one by the sd slot. I can’t remember if it was there before I swapped ssds, but I was really careful following the iFixit guide

Yeah, on the right shoulder. There’s no clear culprit I can identify inside the case so it’s presumably just lovely manufacturing tolerances.

I just noticed my left shoulder button is a little mushy compared to the right so that’s annoying, too.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 26, 2022

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

PantsBandit posted:

There is a comment on this video that is the best walk through I've found so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kTbvJZPxC4

Might take a little additional googling if you get stuck, probably best not to get into the weeds with it here.

Ahh I see, most of the Cemu stuff is Windows based. I'm on a Mac. I'll have to dig out a windows PC and do it from there.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

pineapple3k posted:

I feel like some stuff is missing? or broken? Not sure how to put it. In desktop mode, the return to gaming mode icon did not work. It just opened a notepad that was blank. Discover also does not work, keeps telling me to verify my internet. I think the sources might be wrong? I have no idea.
Maybe follow the recovery instructions to do a re-image and then apply the latest updates before going into desktop mode. This seems pretty unusual and who knows what else is broken.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

Ahh I see, most of the Cemu stuff is Windows based. I'm on a Mac. I'll have to dig out a windows PC and do it from there.

Yeah I did most of the work on my pc and then used Warpinator to transfer the games between my pc and deck.

Side note, warpinator is pretty awesome if you don't want to deal with using drives to swap data.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mescal posted:

what's this percentage?

https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/

Reddit people have been tracking who gets invited to order when to estimate where Valve is in the order queue (or queues given there's different ones for each model and region)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I took a lovely cell phone video of rear end Creed Odyssey.

https://i.imgur.com/tkOduM4.mp4

Blows my mind how this poo poo just works. I haven’t tweaked anything, the game defaulted to “high” settings, 1200 X 700. There was some fuckery getting past the Ubisoft launcher but even that wasn’t too bad. Steam Deck owns so much.