Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The world deserves a sequel to Chex Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

After playing Breath of the Wild and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Horizon: Zero Dawn going 'lol no you can only climb in these specifically marked areas' really soured me on the rest of the game.

Then the 'lootboxes' came in and the enemies became massive sponges and I eventually just called it quits and looked up the rest of the story (the one actually really good part of the game) on Wikipedia.

gently caress Ted Faro.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

is pepsi ok posted:

I'm sure it was really good for awhile but then DN3D and Quake came out and for some reason the old timers just couldn't move on from Doom.

I played all of these games as a kid, DN3D most of all. When I revisited them in the 21st century, it seemed quite clear to me that Doom 1/2 were loving masterpieces of game design, whereas DN3D was a kinda poo poo game kept afloat by memey humor. Quake was a massive step forward, and a good game overall, but not as polished and masterful as Doom 1/2.

Of course, the best FPS series is Half-Life.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
best FPS series is Stalker

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Facts are not opinions

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skyrim is an FPS

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

MarcusSA posted:

Skyrim is an FPS

i started playing a battlemage a while back and this is true

it's not a good fps but that's the first time i played it like that and it's been my most enjoyable skyrim experience thus far

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Skyrim is an FPS

no skyrim is an immersive sim

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Best FPS?

I'm not going to insult your intelligence by even writing an answer. I know. You know. We all know.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Jurassic Park Trespasser?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Outpost22 posted:

Jurassic Park Trespasser?

Bingo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jurassic Park Trespasser is also the culmination of the Survival genre, as you are literally trying to survive by not getting killed by dinosaurs

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Valve hyped up the idiotic physics puzzles of Half-Life 2 and millions of people screamed out "BUT JURASSIC PARK TRESPASSER!!!"

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

deep dish peat moss posted:

I didn't beat it though because I hated all the long story segments where you just held down forward to run through some cyberpunk hallway for 20 minutes while listening to dialog, and all the discussion I was reading about the game online was talking about how those were the best part

That's all TLOU2 was. Corridor segments and lovely writing.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

MassiveSky posted:

Corridor segments and lovely writing.

But enough about all the Final Fantasy games,

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

MassiveSky posted:

That's all TLOU2 was. Corridor segments and lovely writing.

tlou2 has the best third person action stealth combat ever though

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

tlou2 has the best third person action stealth combat ever though

MGSV is still better.

It also has better melee combat that’s much more than just mash square until dead

https://youtu.be/Q-Fgdr58-ao

E: Oh yeah, it also has parries

https://youtu.be/5hRMDWLNG0k

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 26, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

galagazombie posted:

The world deserves a sequel to Chex Quest.

Do you count Chex Quest 2 and 3 as sequels or as new episodes?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

MGSV is still better.

It also has better melee combat that’s much more than just mash square until dead

https://youtu.be/Q-Fgdr58-ao

E: Oh yeah, it also has parries

https://youtu.be/5hRMDWLNG0k

I don't think its better. MGSV doesn't really have any of the intensity or the controlled frantic precision of TLOU2 and most enemies pose basically no threat. Its a fun game though. The enemies in TLOU2 feel much more intelligent and dangerous.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Too bad about the other parts of those games. Being bad and all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MGS5 is a fun game with the framework for something that could have been amazing but it's an unfocused mess. TLOU 2 puts it to shame. They are barely even comparable because MGS5 is basically a dick around sandbox game that lets you do whatever you want and TLOU puts pressure on you to play in a dynamic way, which is what MGS5 should have done and previous MGS entires did better.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

Elden Ring is the most overrated game since Breath of the Wild which is the most overrated game since Bloodborne.

The most overrated games of all time are Disco Elysium and Ocarina of Time

DE was lucky in that it came out in the age of twitter, so its success is understandable. Ocarina was balls and was still successful without the embarrassing memes. Who knows why people liked it, other than maybe a lack of other choices at the time

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Top 5 FPSs of all time

1. Hexen 2
2. Hexen
3. Left blank out of respect for Hexen
4. Titanfall 2
5. Wrath of the Lich King as a fire mage zoomed into first person

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Manager Hoyden posted:

DE was lucky in that it came out in the age of twitter, so its success is understandable. Ocarina was balls and was still successful without the embarrassing memes. Who knows why people liked it, other than maybe a lack of other choices at the time

You can't overrate Disco Elysium because it has the best writing of any game ever. It might not be much of a game beyond that, but when you are #1 in some way, like HFW having the best graphics, you can't overrate it. IIRC, GTA Vice City has the best music of any game ever.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
disco elysium is great

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waltzing Along posted:

You can't overrate Disco Elysium because it has the best writing of any game ever. It might not be much of a game beyond that, but when you are #1 in some way, like HFW having the best graphics, you can't overrate it. IIRC, GTA Vice City has the best music of any game ever.

have u ever heard of a novel

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
omg novels don't have a soundtrack. disco elysium is a game

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
no other game has cuno

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The actual second-to-second gameplay of Disco Elysium is bad

The writing is great for a videogame, which means it's about on the level of a bad novel

Just go ahead and play a good game and read a good novel instead (you won't get nine hours of repeating trumpet this way either)

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

DE was alright but yeah everyone starting spunking everywhere in excitement about it being one of the best games ever, just because it had a better story than most others. I did enjoy it overall though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kntfkr posted:

sometimes i wear headphones and listen to some non-distracting ambient or instrumental stuff in the background while i read a book

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
If I wanted to read a book I'd just listen to the radio.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

sometimes i wear headphones and listen to some non-distracting ambient or instrumental stuff in the background while i read a book

farts_max_reverb_10_hours.flac

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

kntfkr posted:

Someone hasn't read Higurashi no Naku Koro ni yet. :smugbert:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

this causes baldness

itry
Aug 23, 2019

kntfkr posted:

this causes baldness

Literacy?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

itry posted:

Literacy?

no, the headphones. they did a study

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

being bald owns anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Manager Hoyden posted:

You're dead on why people liked OOT. It was pretty much the only choice for a 3D action game on console for a while, and PC gaming back then was really inaccessible. Without that context it's pretty bad.

Dark Souls 1 kind of has tiny bit of this going on as well, but nowhere near as bad (plus it holds up). it was the only decent 3D action game for a long, long time. If you were to play it for the first time today without that context you'd probably be pretty confused that even die hard fans of this "Best Game Ever" will admit that around 1/3 of it is actually pretty bad and the devs have admitted that its pretty unfinished, compromised game.
All that said, the 2/3rds of Dark Souls that were great still hold up, and the atmosphere makes it stand out even today. They even give you a way to skip Lost Izalith, presumably out of embarassment.
OOT, though, really has nothing to offer anyone who isn't obsessed with game design history or some poo poo.

Unpopular opinions:

Far Cry 2 is better than 3, the setting is better, there's no crafting, the environment reacts to battle in more interesting ways (especially with fire) and there is minimal story that only asks you to get as invested as you want to. If it weren't for how frequent the enemy respawns are, I don't think this would be controversial.

Cult of the Lamb feels like the worst elements of AAA development were fused into an indie game. The art, music, premise and reveiws all suggest a great game. Its really a buggy, unfinished mess that takes an idea that has already been done (fuse farming game with rougelike dungeon crawler) and does it badly. The town management is buggy, boring and never rewarding while dungeons are a complete bore for anyone who has played one of these games before. Every single part of this game, other than the presentation, is way, way worse than Stardew Valley. The one man game that came out like 6 years ago.
Given the bizarrely positive reaction I'm going to be a lot more skeptical of Devolver Digital games from now on.

Completely insane take:

Sekiro is the easiest 3D action FROM game by a mile. You just pick it up and go and get punished when you die, you get some upgrades as you progress and can use them to exploit boss weaknesses, but it stands tall on the core mechanics you start with. Its just like an old school megaman game.
That said, I'm pretty poo poo at other FROM games and had more trouble figuring out build management and stat scaling in Dark Souls 3 than anything I ran across in Sekiro.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 26, 2022