Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also as someone posted earlier it's basically been said to be impossible in the UK because the geology is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
huh I didn't realise the US had discovered its own internal energy reserves since last Friday

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The USA is a net energy exporter since 2019. The USA doesn't have any issues when it comes to energy for the foreseeable future.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

qhat posted:

The USA is a net energy exporter since 2019. The USA doesn't have any issues when it comes to energy for the foreseeable future.

Unless you're Texas

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Miftan posted:

Unless you're Texas

Texas' electricity comes from mostly natural gas, which the USA has absolutely no shortage of, and coal and wind with some nuclear and solar on the side. None of these things are going anywhere.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

qhat posted:

Texas' electricity comes from mostly natural gas, which the USA has absolutely no shortage of, and coal and wind with some nuclear and solar on the side. None of these things are going anywhere.
I think the point is that the US does actually have issues with energy, it's just the logistics instead of the supply. No amount of natural gas will bring a broken pylon online.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah texas has a separate power grid because something something freedom

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think the point is that the US does actually have issues with energy, it's just the logistics instead of the supply. No amount of natural gas will bring a broken pylon online.

Yeah. To be fair, I was probably wrong to say "no issues", there is still infra that needs to be built up. More accurate would probably be "no issues with acquiring energy", that is they actually have the raw materials there and could re-tool the economy to take advantage of it if they absolutely had to in exchange for some short-term pain, but it's not a situation like in Germany where the natural gas from Russia gets shut off and suddenly they can't get reasonably priced energy anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Yeah Texas' issues aren't with supply but with running a stupid for-profit energy grid separate from all the other grids with basically no regulation, afaik. I wasn't clear.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

qhat posted:

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah texas has a separate power grid because something something freedom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n_au5Hje_E

This video is fun for learning how much California's main company, PG&E, keep blowing up or burning to death Californians, and just keep doing it anyway. Also covers Texas.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Also as someone posted earlier it's basically been said to be impossible in the UK because the geology is different.

That'd be moi

Tesseraction posted:

Also Cuadrilla says fracking in the UK is dumb and pointless https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/sep/21/fracking-wont-work-uk-founder-chris-cornelius-cuadrilla

quote:

Fracking won’t work in UK says founder of fracking company Cuadrilla

Chris Cornelius says geology is too challenging and government’s support is merely ‘soundbites’

quote:

Fracking in the UK will be impossible at any meaningful scale and will not help with the energy price crisis, the founder of the UK’s first fracking company has warned.

Chris Cornelius, the geologist who founded Cuadrilla Resources, which drilled the UK’s first modern hydraulic fracturing wells in Lancashire, told the Guardian that he believed the government’s support for it is merely a “political gesture”.

“I don’t think there is any chance of fracking in the UK in the near term.”

He said that when Cuadrilla had operated here, it had discovered that the geology of the UK was unsuited to widespread fracking operations. “No sensible investors” would take the risk of embarking on large projects here, he said. “It’s very challenging geology, compared with North America [where fracking is a major industry].”

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*coughing loudly* darren crimes https://twitter.com/politicalite/status/1574419440518717441?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The UK could be energy independent with a mixed bag of wind, solar, tidal, geothermal, and nuclear, but instead they're going for the one that won't work.

e: Biogas too

e2: ^^ More like relationship with junior staffie

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

e2: ^^ More like relationship with junior staffie

Should have gone with the Lab instead.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Maybe I'm an accelerationist. I enjoy that there are people in my life who are right wing who now have no choice but to talk about how the tories are poo poo.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Al Jazeera part 3 just started (labour files)

(So far it seems the same as Saturday's. Confused dot com - maybe it's not the third part after all!)

Think I'll wait for ep 3 to appear on YouTube.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 26, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

PR is back?....

I'm confused. I thought Keith ruled it out the other day.

https://twitter.com/Labour4PR/status/1574444118754955265

e: starryAI pic of "Kwasi Kwarteng burning money while laughing"

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Did they commit to proportional representation specifically, or electoral reform in general?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also... the UK has the north sea? Sure, its not a huge excess of poo poo like Norway still has but we have better fossil fuel supplies than the rest of continental europe. Or at least would if we had any goal for them except profit oil giants.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Halisnacks posted:

Did they commit to proportional representation specifically, or electoral reform in general?

Further investigation says it was a show of hands vote, which can be easily ignored and overridden by the leadership. Not sure if it was for electoral reform or specifically PR, but it sounds like it was a worthless vote.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

fuctifino posted:

PR is back?....

e: starryAI pic of "Kwasi Kwarteng burning money while laughing"

Leaders are not bound by, and routinely ignore, conference. Cool party.

Obviously, however, I will be *praying* that they beat the Tories come the GE because well *gestures wildly at 12 years' devastation*. Keith certainly not making it easy though.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

fuctifino posted:

PR is back?....

it was a motion by delegates that “Labour must make a commitment to introduce proportional representation for general elections in the next manifesto.”. 140 local parties submitted some version of it to the conference, the delgates backed it overwhelmingly enough that it passed just by show of hands, and Starmer will laugh and tell them to gently caress right off with it

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1574476937015304192

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

PM breaks silence on day of self-inflicted economic meltdown in order to congratulate a literal fascist. Cool country.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

he's claiming that this was all a big troll on the twitter now and how he's puppetmastered those HOMOPHOBIC LEFTIES

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chinese Gordon posted:

PM breaks silence on day of self-inflicted economic meltdown in order to congratulate a literal fascist. Cool country.

Birds of a feather and all that

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"Liz Truss dressed as Benito Mussolini" - starryAI app

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

fuctifino posted:

Angela Merkel looking well

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looke posted:

Angela Merkel looking well

That was my immediate thought as well lol

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

fuctifino posted:

I think your image is upside down bud

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"This is fine"

e: https://twitter.com/benjameslucas/status/1574384669294039042

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 26, 2022

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

do all the AIs make truss into Sloth from the goonies

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Christ. Warning this is very depressing reading

https://eand.co/britain-just-hit-the-next-level-of-self-destruction-and-the-pain-will-be-immense-ca254f87533c

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

learnincurve posted:

Start of the pandemic, I spoke about what it’s like being on long term benefits and what you had to do to economise, Kind people said to apply to the solidarity fund. I said I wouldn’t because my troubles are constant and consistent. I have never had money so no one has ever given me credit and therefore I have no debts, I can budget and plan, where as it’s the unexpected that will cripple you.

When you look at the big financial picture someone who works in IT earning £32k a year has less money than me. They are - £300k on house, car, credit card, student depts and so on and I am £800 deep in my overdraft. I also have soft skills that you learn through being long term poor, my phone hasn’t been just allowed to roll on to the next contract for example, I know when everything gets yellow stickered in each local supermarket. I can cook full one pot meals from scratch using only oven/pressure cooker/air fryer/hob and slow cooker. I am basically the greatest person with money you will ever meet.

Recession hits and trust me I’ve already planned well in advance what I can do to avoid freezing to death this winter (15 tog duvets). Your IT engineer is hosed

So what you're saying is you've been vaccinated against poverty and all the computer touchers are basically lined up to hit the ICU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lol not that guy again. He keeps posting poo poo about economic armageddon but does it in the most obnoxious style of prose i've ever seen, with his bolding-and-underlining his most important soundbites and having imaginary conversations with his dumbass audience

quote:

But that’s not going to affect me! LOL. You poor thing.

No thanks I'll give that screed a pass

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

I am basically the greatest person with money you will ever meet.

you do buy an awful lot of snakes though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I read the whole thing and the guy is smart but also very clearly huffing his own farts