Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's a real tone of smug giddiness about that article and it loving sucks. Okay dude, what are we meant to do about it? If the answer is 'nothing' then why are you so pleased with yourself for pointing it out?

Ugh.

Simba agrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

HopperUK posted:

There's a real tone of smug giddiness about that article and it loving sucks. Okay dude, what are we meant to do about it? If the answer is 'nothing' then why are you so pleased with yourself for pointing it out?

Because he wrote a few books about "a new capitalism" and does the speaking circuit so it's in his best interests to cast himself as a doom-saying prophet because he also has ideas about loving Eudaimonics.

Things suck but Umair Haque sucks way more.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1574496964254875667

also this:

https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status/1574356890217218052

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 26, 2022

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

I question how smart that guy actually is since he appears to think the reason for recent USD strength is... Biden building chip factories? I mean, yes, that's a good investment and sound policy but it has nothing to do with the reason why the USD is so in demand, that being aggressive monetary tightening courtesy of the Fed. Nor is it true that the Kwarteng murder/suicide budget will cost $500bn. No idea where he's got that from.

He's absolutely right about the lunatic nature of unfunded tax cuts for the rich, and it is certainly true that rates and inflation are gonna go up and a lot people are gonna get hosed, but I certainly wouldn't be putting much stock in his predictions otherwise.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
This country is genuinely hosed lmao

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Ash Crimson posted:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No amount of natural gas will bring a broken pylon online.
yeah you need vespene gas for a start :zerg:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HopperUK posted:

Okay dude, what are we meant to do about it?
Construct additional chip foundries.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Seriously wondering how I can pay off my mortgage before my fix runs out in ~30 months time, because this poo poo's gonna go on for a while, innit?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Honestly the only thing that makes sense is that the tories think they can bankrupt enough people out of their mortgages, that will increase the amount of housing stock to kick the can down the road another year or 2, then hand over to labour.

Except labour are just as poo poo.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Honestly the only thing that makes sense is that the tories think they can bankrupt enough people out of their mortgages, that will increase the amount of housing stock to kick the can down the road another year or 2, then hand over to labour.

Except labour are just as poo poo.

There is no cunning plan of any sort. Truss, Kwarteng and their ilk are simply deranged ideologues and/or thick as mince. They genuinely think that their massively discredited lunatic trickle down bollocks will somehow unleash massive growth and that they will be thanked by a grateful public.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Ash Crimson posted:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1574504361740361759

Any other leader etc...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I also read this and while he's broadly right on the economic front he seems to be extremely stupid about how the tech sector operates.

In short we're hosed and no-one can save us because those that could are dead or Starmer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Jack Munroe seems to have deleted her twitter account apparently some to do over roast potatoes (but I'm sure there was more to it than that).
Something to do with her mother's cooking.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 27, 2022

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Biggus Dickus posted:

Seriously wondering how I can pay off my mortgage before my fix runs out in ~30 months time, because this poo poo's gonna go on for a while, innit?

Same, and I live in a giant flammable tower so I can't even sell. Maybe they'll reopen debtor's prisons.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Jack Munroe seems to have deleted her twitter account apparently some to do over roast potatoes (but I'm sure there was more to it than that).
Something to do with her mother's cooking.

She posted a picture of her mother's [totally average looking] roasties and some guy called Tom said "they look dire" and she went off the deep end and started ranting about trolls, accusing people of orchestrated pile-ons and abusing her disabled mother, then said she'd had two friends die recently and then deleted her account.

Bit of a rum do all round, really. I'm no fan - I think her supposed Helping The Poor™ amounts to a large amount of gently caress-all, and the cynic in me notes her flounce coincidentally happened just as a lot of people were starting to ask about unfulfilled Patreon promises and contradictions in her tales of woe. But she also seems like she's got Issues, there's legit a large online group [mostly people on Tattle] constantly gunning for her, and getting herself off Twitter can only be good for her mental health. And anyone's mental health, really.

Skulker fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 27, 2022

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Hold up everyone. The BBC have dug deep and found a positive to the country collapsing in on itself!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Skulker posted:

But she also seems like she's got Issues, there's legit a large online group [mostly people on Tattle] constantly gunning for her, and getting herself off Twitter can only be good for her mental health. And anyone's mental health, really.
Yeah I think it was Jack that was posting the other day about some group or other who were casually chatting about how hard they'd have to push them to get them to kill themself. The abuse they've had since getting involved in the vimes boots index has been pretty incredible.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I think it's also no secret that Jack has had addiction and mental health issues. Just did a quick search and found an interview where she's talking about depression, anxiety, PTSD and ADHD.

Eh, I dunno. I don't feel like she's politically useful as a leftist. She turned her nose up at Corbyn and then went back on that and apologised when it was too late for him to have an effect on anything, so that's poo poo.

Even so, I don't wish her any harm and if she's not in a good place she should get herself off twitter, yeah.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Don't worry guys, what goes down might also go up!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Every single one of these talking heads say something like ‘I’m not worried because I’ll be ok’. A society has been engineered whereby, for most people, It just doesn’t compute to give a solitary gently caress about anyone else, and this is the main reason everything is so hosed.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
the late, great, dawn foster spoke multiple times about how members of the bubble would regularly try and co-opt her, to bring her onside

when jack did the "I met the CEO of google and a bunch of other CEOs and we had a tinder style matchup to solve poverty" of a few weeks ago, it felt like she swallowed it hook, line and sinker, and the sam vines thing that was however well intentioned has also been captured/neutered

WhatEvil posted:

Even so, I don't wish her any harm and if she's not in a good place she should get herself off twitter, yeah.

aye- especially if she can't figure out that constantly responding and reacting to those trolling her was feeding more and more trolling

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
“There’s no such thing as society.”

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Oh good, in this time of crisis its nice that the media is telling us some individuals are ok. I mean as long as we're not ALL hosed it's fine right? I guess we all just need to pull up our bootstraps and work harder like our betters did in the 60s and 70s.

- literally every conversation on radio 4 right now (i have it on in the conservatory for my cats and i walk in to get milk from the fridge and constantly come away angry... )

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Your fridge is in the conservatory? In summer??

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Local news says 200,000 brits refuse to pay power bills, experts fear it could spread. I kinda hope it does even though I am sitting comfortably even with the higher prices.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
E: nm I can’t be arsed

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Microplastics posted:

Your fridge is in the conservatory? In summer??

Yeah? It's a fridge and it's fine? (conservatory has a proper roof so it's pretty OK, but does get a little toasty at times)

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

All fridges have a maximum exterior temperature, as beyond that it can no longer transfer heat outside of itself anymore.

A hot conservatory may reach that temperature in summer. I think it's around 40-45C, could be lower depending on how lovely the fridge is built.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 27, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Tories have got to be tugging anxiously on their collars and thinking it’s probably past time for them to duck out and let some other rube take the fall for the past 12 years anyway

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Huh, it was fine over summer and the heatwave even though it definitely got above 45. The internal temp didn't waver. Its a socking great big, silver floor to ceiling fridge tho from Spain. Guess I'll keep dig out the user manual and see if they have guidelines

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

When’s the last time they tried to blame things on “the last Labour government”? Whatever happened to the classics?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

TACD posted:

When’s the last time they tried to blame things on “the last Labour government”? Whatever happened to the classics?

Late August I think. Shaun Bailey said the cost of living crisis was all Brown's fault.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

that's boris johnsons music!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

The Tories have got to be tugging anxiously
Some of them even got the sack over it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mebh posted:

Huh, it was fine over summer and the heatwave even though it definitely got above 45. The internal temp didn't waver. Its a socking great big, silver floor to ceiling fridge tho from Spain. Guess I'll keep dig out the user manual and see if they have guidelines
Even if internal temperatures were fine, the environment you describe would require roughly twice as much cooling compared to usual, and more expensive cooling to boot given that heat pumps become much less effective when ΔT goes up like that. Aside from that, I would just be worried about wear and tear if the heat pump is being asked to run outside its regular design range.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The first thing I changed in my house was moving the radiator in the kitchen, which was placed at the far end so that the only part of the room that it heated up properly was the fridge.

Still need to do something about the one in the bedroom that's behind the curtains, providing a perfect boiler-window heat transfer without ever having to interact with the room, currently just tucking the curtains behind it when it needs to be on.

Absolute brainlet central heating install.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Biggus Dickus posted:

😬 same. September 2024. ~£270k to go. Paying ~£2350 a month, which is £1000 over-pay, £450 in interest. If rates go up to 6%, and that's what we remortgage on, if I've done my math right (highly unlikely tbf), we'd be paying ~£1350 in interest each month 😐.

Have actually started drafting a couple letters/speeches to my parents & some well-heeled uncles, trying to ask in the nicest way possible if we can work out some sort of plan where we pay down the mortgage as much as possible between now and then, with them combining to pay off the remaining at the end of our term, and us paying them back with our current interest or something. NOT a conversation I'd wanted to have, and no idea if they'll be amenable to it or even able to, but better than the alternative.

Also, as a dual Canadian/UK citizen, with a job where I can work anywhere: better believe I'm looking into making the move back home. Biggest worry is our very sweet yet skittish cat. We've had some friends move internationally with a cat no problem recently, but I just can imagine her doing well either in the main cabin or in the hold or wherever they put them. Anyone here have experience doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/pollysmythe/status/1574443707742715904?s=20&t=DDneFi0HJATc3-YbjhjTXQ

Party conferences are really loving poo poo