Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DrWrestling69 posted:

When did you order. I ordered mine last night and still haven't got anything.

Saturday, so it took 2 days to get a tracking number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

:mad:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Heran Bago posted:

That sucks dude. The RMA process is reliable at least.

Until then try the old magic. Flash neighboring pixels and gently massage it.

Thanks, I've already tried that site for about an hour - no dice. I'm reluctant to apply pressure to the screen because that would just give Valve a reason to deny the RMA if it goes wrong. I'll probably just keep it for another day or two (apparently stuck pixels can magically resolve themselves sometimes), and then suck it up. I've waited for months, the extra 1-2 weeks won't kill me, right? Right? Seems like I got the "good" fan and buttons too. Oh well.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Played some homm3 and adventure games on this

How did you get HOMM3 working? I tried installing the GOG version via Heroic and couldn't get further than audio with a black screen.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

fit em all up in there posted:

Did anyone else who had a 9/29 delivery date get it changed to today by fedex over the weekend, only to have it not arrive and shipping status get changed to pending?

I wish I had a delivery date, the European shipping company doesn't provide anything like that. My Deck has just been stuck in Denmark since Friday with no updates since :argh:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Apparently a bunch of people have their decks stuck in Carol Stream Illinois

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hate when my deck gets stuck.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Isn't Valve's warehouse in Illinois?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes that's the origination point

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yep, tracking hasn't been updated since Saturday

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

ugh, kena blew out my fan. now, when it ramps up it starts a low secondary noise and vibrates the whole deck. tried opening up the thing to clean the fan and check the screws on it but no effect. ifixit never has the fan in store on the european side, so i had to order a replacement from a random ebay-seller. hopefully it wont take forever to get here. atleast it should be the better model compared to the delta made fan i had in there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

How does it compare to the 3ds version?

It’s still the N64 version to its core. But there’s a whole menu of toggles, cheats, stuff like that. The folks behind the port made a very clever video explaining everything in it.

There’s more enhancements shown in this video.

As for the person who asked about actually getting it to work on Steam Deck, it’s a pretty simple process. I had zero problems. The biggest hurdle was finding a debug rom, which can be found very easily by just googling the file name it shows in the video. Then it’s just a matter of dragging and dropping on the file.

I made it to Dragon Roost Island on the GameCube version of Wind Waker. One thing that was bugging me was that the Cube version has the horizontal axis inverted on the c-stick. A quick fix on Steam Deck, very pleased with that. But then I got the titular Wind Waker and realized that with the stick setting changed, left is right and right is left. I’m thinking I might go with the Wii U version for that and the other QOL fixes. The only thing giving me pause is that it would be a single screw experience. What’s the reality of playing WWHD on Steam Deck like? It was a blast on actual hardware but it doesn’t seem like a great single screen experience. I was never fond of 3/DS emulation solutions.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 27, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Grey posted:

Just watched the video because I have never played OOT and my deck is arriving soon. It's cool that it's possible, but I cringe when I see all the steps required to make it happen.

I know the Steam Deck's desktop mode can be intimidating, but being able to load up every previous Nintendo generation's games is one of my favorite things about my Steam Deck. I haven't quite dumped all my Nintendo Switch carts over to my Deck, but I'm eager to have my entire Switch collection available on my deck.

I need a 1.5/2 TB MicroSD.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wouldn't consider the Switch emulation good enough to do that tbh. It's great for some games but not so hot for others.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

This thread is making me smell my Deck

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
pretty sure that's a sign of stroke

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

AngelesXO posted:

This thread is making me smell my Deck

Inhale the pure gaming nirvana that GabeN has bestowed upon us. Let the odor wash into you and become one with it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

quiggy posted:

How did you get HOMM3 working? I tried installing the GOG version via Heroic and couldn't get further than audio with a black screen.

I used heroic and gog too. I think the only thing I changed was setting the Wine Version in settings to Proton 7.0.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

I made it to Dragon Roost Island on the GameCube version of Wind Waker. One thing that was bugging me was that the Cube version has the horizontal axis inverted on the c-stick. A quick fix on Steam Deck, very pleased with that. But then I got the titular Wind Waker and realized that with the stick setting changed, left is right and right is left. I’m thinking I might go with the Wii U version for that and the other QOL fixes. The only thing giving me pause is that it would be a single screw experience. What’s the reality of playing WWHD on Steam Deck like? It was a blast on actual hardware but it doesn’t seem like a great single screen experience. I was never fond of 3/DS emulation solutions.
If you've got a USB hub with video out, you can actually turn the Deck into a legit Wii U.
  • Enter desktop mode.
  • Launch Cemu.
  • Make sure the "separate window for Gamepad screen" option is checked.
  • Drag the main window to the monitor/TV screen and maximize it.
  • Maximize the Gamepad window on the Deck screen.
  • Check the full screen option for the main window.
  • Congratulations, you now have a Wii U!
It's honestly the best way to play Wii U games besides official hardware. The need for a TV or PC monitor reduces the portability factor, but the Wii U was honestly less portable so it's fine.

Also, iirc Wind Waker is one of the games you can play without the second screen, you just need to set up Cemu to fake a pro controller and not a Gamepad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

One of my planned Deck use cases is to use it as a dockable emulation console and I am 100% planning to use that for Wii U stuff.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You can also do something similar for 3DS emulation, but since Citra doesn't have an option to separate out the 3DS screens to different windows it's a more involved process that requires you to manually edit an ini file to make the display for the top screen the size of your monitor and the display for the bottom screen the size of the Deck screen, then adding together the resolution of the monitor and Deck to trick the emulator into displaying the bottom screen on the Deck. I got it to work, but since I still have a 3DS in perfect working order I think I'll stick to real hardware on that front for now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Skrill.exe posted:

Anybody ever had issues with primehack recognizing your controller? I get to the main title screen and it tells me to push A and brothers, I'm pushing A but nothing is happening. I'm stumped!
For PrimeHack you have to setup a controller configuration through the menus since the default uses a literal keyboard/mouse layout. Maybe EmuDeck prepopulates this, but since I installed PrimeHack manually I had to set one up.

Then, once you start the emulator you have to "click the mouse" and press a gamepad button to actually get Dolphin to focus inputs correctly. Notably, I've found that Dolphin won't recognize the analog triggers until you press one of the other digital buttons, but once you do the triggers should work then-on.

Also keep in mind that the "A" button is probably mapped to the R2 trigger since that's the beam fire button on the Wii remote.

There does appear to be a bug in Dolphin that if you stop the emulator and restart it, it won't recognize gamepad buttons bound to hotkeys, which breaks my mapping for save states. Quitting and restarting PrimeHack fixes that, which is mildly annoying but not something I do particularly often. It's a bigger deal in regular Dolphin when switching between games.

loopsheloop posted:

Primehack assumes you're using the trilogy collection on the Wii and not the GameCube versions too, that tripped me up with regards to mappings
PrimeHack supports both GC and Wii versions of Prime (Trilogy). There's a separate controller configuration though for the GC controller. Maybe EmuDeck doesn't ship a configuration for that.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

UP AND ADAM posted:

I used heroic and gog too. I think the only thing I changed was setting the Wine Version in settings to Proton 7.0.

Hmm alright, thanks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

pretty sure there was an update with primehack recently that hosed up the controls but I was able to get it working again by just selecting the first community mapping that i found

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For PrimeHack you have to setup a controller configuration through the menus since the default uses a literal keyboard/mouse layout. Maybe EmuDeck prepopulates this, but since I installed PrimeHack manually I had to set one up.

It does. No extra setup necessary when installing PrimeHack through Emudeck. I only had to do some minor fiddling to invert the Y axis.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm pretty sure my main use of this thing is going to be point and click adventures. Of which most of the ones I want to play are older ones on GOG. Do those run okay?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is moonlight the best app for streaming from a desktop PC?

Steam Link was bad and awful.
Parsec was better, but had some hitches which I've heard isn't great because the Linux port is a little suboptimal.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm pretty sure my main use of this thing is going to be point and click adventures. Of which most of the ones I want to play are older ones on GOG. Do those run okay?

Almost everything older is best run though ScummVM which has a native Linux port and a port for just about everything else, as it's about as heavily ported as Doom. Shouldn't matter where you buy them as long as ScummVM has support for it, anything outside of it's scope will probably run in DOSBox (some setup may be required) but Windows-only adventure games are more per-case.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Harlock posted:

Parsec was better, but had some hitches which I've heard isn't great because the Linux port is a little suboptimal.

I’ve had moonlight glitch out occasionally and refuse to start a game (some message about drm), requiring a reboot. I imagine it’s due to nvidia game stream not always properly cleaning up stray processes after a streaming session, so there ought to be a workaround.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wouldn't consider the Switch emulation good enough to do that tbh. It's great for some games but not so hot for others.

It is very hit or miss. Some games run way better than they do on the switch, some of them don't run at all. Here is the yuzu list for compatibility:

https://yuzu-emu.org/game/

Waltzing Along posted:

I've not had any problems with gog exes. Patching them I've not figured out yet (It doesnt find my install directory). The only real annoyance comes after installing "pc" games and then having to figure out setting controls, but most games have user created presets.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harlock posted:

I’ve been using parsec with no issues. I didn’t care for moonlight

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Commander Keene posted:

Also, iirc Wind Waker is one of the games you can play without the second screen, you just need to set up Cemu to fake a pro controller and not a Gamepad.

Correct. The only thing you really lose out on without the gamepad/tv interaction is being able to access your inventory without opening the menu.

CEMU also has graphics-packs that do things like lower the bloom and add some additional color (WW:HD can be washed out looking sometimes).

The bloom update is a god-send and makes the game look much more pleasant. The color thing is more hit and miss, some areas end up looking overly saturated.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 27, 2022

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve been using parsec with no issues. I didn’t care for moonlight

Are you using in Game Mode or Desktop? I've been mostly using Parsec in game mode, but reading some comments say it introduces more encoding/decoding lag in Game Mode. I can try it in Desktop later.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I bought Okami HD yesterday and it plays great (well, aside from the 20 minutes of incredibly slow story text before you're allowed to touch the controls) except that the game only fills about 2/3 of the screen. It's inside a big black frame on-screen. Fiddling with resolution in-game didn't do anything. Anyone experienced something like this?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ProtonDB suggests trying to change it from windowed to full-screen.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Don't wanna break any rules so I'll delete if necessary, but getting cracked windows games to work on this was a lot easier than expected. I just about got this new FLT release of Kena working.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I am running All Of The Point and Click Adventures. Its GREAT.

For gog games I'm preferring lutris over heroic launcher and it's mostly pretty seamless. KQ1 for example runs directly, although some need some fiddling through dosbox, whether the one included in the gog launcher or via lutris' own dosbox / scummvm or other emulator packages. (Last Express)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Heroes of Hammerwatch is an excellent game for the Deck and also in general

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dome Keeper just launched too

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1637320/Dome_Keeper/

Defend against waves of alien attackers in this innovative roguelike survival miner. Dig for resources and choose from powerful upgrade paths. Is there enough time to mine a little deeper and get back to defend before the monsters attack your dome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

fadam posted:

Don't wanna break any rules so I'll delete if necessary, but getting cracked windows games to work on this was a lot easier than expected. I just about got this new FLT release of Kena working.

I got Proton to read the exe for a cracked version of Digimon Survive, but it doesn't seem to work for everything. I couldn't get Romancing SaGa 3 working