Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Darkest Dungeon was an aesthetic with a crude game stapled to it. It managed to work because the gameplay and aesthetics complemented each other extremely well, but I haven't been holding my breath for DD2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If I want to play DD I'll play Iratus, Lord of the Dead instead. It's funnier, has a better aesthetic and even somehow manages to be shorter despite itself being bloated in length.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Magitek posted:

I think the big thing in Tiny Rogues is that Int is wildly powerful compared to Str or Dex. Int weapons do excellent baseline damage, they tend to be very easy to aim, and they have an extra multiplier in the form of the Mana mechanic. I can annihilate bosses in half the time (or less!) with them compared to the other archetypes.

Had this run just now, with a Thief that became Strength-focused. Being able to skip all the keys meant I could load up bigly on stats and buffs. Not sure the other classes could pull this off.

Roughly 2.5 minutes per floor, the average is 3-4 minutes per floor. Was applying 4 status effects (bleed, shock, burn, chill) and had so many buffs (Crown, +5 duration to buffs) the screen couldn't show them all. Every time I dashed (Lightning Boots) a lightning blast hit Death for 5000-10000 damage, and every time I attacked I'd regenerate a stamina.

Tiny Rogues has a ton of potential to be *really* good, the dev just needs to add way more breadth to the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jedit posted:

If I want to play DD I'll play Iratus, Lord of the Dead instead. It's funnier, has a better aesthetic and even somehow manages to be shorter despite itself being bloated in length.

Darkest Dungeon has such a fantastic art style and narrator though, it's hard to top that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jedit posted:

I have played through Iratus, and I would contest every point except for the last one

Also yeah, haven't been able to get into DD2 at all so far.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I genuinely enjoy Darkest Dungeon's gameplay :shobon: I think there's a little too much competition between trinket slots to have a lot of build depth and accuracy is a little too important, but I think you'd be hard pressed to improve it while maintaining both the simplicity necessary for the large roster size to work and the impact of modifiers on characters that allow people to get attached to them and have emotional responses to all the diseases/vices/virtues they can accrue. I assume Red Hook also couldn't think of a way to objectively improve upon it so they just decided to remove the roster entirely and try to build that emotional attachment in a single dungeon run in DD2.

Adding back in metaprogression to the game seems kinda like it might be treating a symptom of people not being as hot on DD2 as they were on DD1, but I think the presentation of the town was probably a lot more important than the actual 'your guys get stronger' aspect of upgrading your town in 1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Broken Cog posted:

I have played through Iratus, and I would contest every point except for the last one

Also yeah, haven't been able to get into DD2 at all so far.

You don't think it's bloated, or you don't think it's shorter?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Count Uvula posted:

I genuinely enjoy Darkest Dungeon's gameplay :shobon:

DD is an objectively fun game. Perhaps overlong and so few people see it through to the end, but I haven't heard of anyone who's regretted their time playing it.

Games where you just get to sit and drip in atmosphere are hard to do, and we kinda turn a blind eye to their sins as they're in such short supply. Jack Trades's post is just funny given the thread's context.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jedit posted:

You don't think it's bloated, or you don't think it's shorter?

It's definitely a shorter game than DD, but that's more of a testament to how incredibly dragged out DD is.
I also found a winning team comp in like the second or third zone when I played through it, so I never had to change much. I actually think that's a plus in DD's favour, forcing you to switch out your characters occasionally so you have to mix things up a bit.

Anyway, how is Roboquest these days? I've had it on my radar for a while, and I've had people recommend it, but also saying that it's not finished yet, so I've been a bit wary of picking it up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Tiny Rogues has a ton of potential to be *really* good, the dev just needs to add way more breadth to the game.

In a way, the game is as the title says, tiny. Very focused on a single thing. I was surprised when I saw that the melee weapons are really the same as ranged weapons, in this game all weapons are projectiles, just that the melee weapons have a shorter range. It's something where he could have differentiated more the classes. Another thing I noticed is that the speed of 90% of classes are the same, 7.0, only two of them have 7.5 speed.

Regarding metaprogression, good news metaprogression haters: It seems to me you can unlock all in 10-11 hours.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 27, 2022

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Turin Turambar posted:

In a way, the game is as the title says, tiny. Very focused on a single thing. I was surprised when I saw that the melee weapons are really the same as ranged weapons, in this game all weapons are projectiles, just that the melee weapons have a shorter range.

Regarding metaprogression, good news metaprogression haters: It seems to me you can unlock all in 10-11 hours.

Or edit an easy to find variable and unlock everything.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao at “objectively fun”

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Count Uvula posted:

I genuinely enjoy Darkest Dungeon's gameplay :shobon: I think there's a little too much competition between trinket slots to have a lot of build depth and accuracy is a little too important, but I think you'd be hard pressed to improve it while maintaining both the simplicity necessary for the large roster size to work and the impact of modifiers on characters that allow people to get attached to them and have emotional responses to all the diseases/vices/virtues they can accrue. I assume Red Hook also couldn't think of a way to objectively improve upon it so they just decided to remove the roster entirely and try to build that emotional attachment in a single dungeon run in DD2.

It's not the worst, but it's simultaneously fiddly and shallow. There's virtue in simplicity but DD gets in its own way too much, and there's just not enough content there to stretch such a simple game out as long as they want it. If it wasn't for the aesthetics it would be a Flash game good for killing a couple hours.

To give due credit, marrying a bunch of push-your-luck mechanics to gothic horror was a fantastic idea. The game does an excellent job of baiting players into engaging with it on its own terms and that's a great design accomplishment even if a lot of the mechanics are shaky.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

In a way, the game is as the title says, tiny. Very focused on a single thing. I was surprised when I saw that the melee weapons are really the same as ranged weapons, in this game all weapons are projectiles, just that the melee weapons have a shorter range.

That's not the only difference: melee attacks cleave through enemies (good for crowds) and most also return to the player, so they can hit on the backswing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Broken Cog posted:

Anyway, how is Roboquest these days? I've had it on my radar for a while, and I've had people recommend it, but also saying that it's not finished yet, so I've been a bit wary of picking it up.

Gunfire's still better imo, by far. Roboquest just feels kinda... generic? Nothing really pops out or feels really memorable whether it be guns, abilities or enemies. I'll have to give some of the new content another go perhaps, but I'm not sure how far the story or worlds have come along.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

DD is an objectively fun game.

Can we just cool it a bit with all the obvious bait in the thread? It's getting really tiresome.

Anyway, I don't care for Darkest Dungeon because the game puts such a straitjacket on you with all the positional skill constraints and decreasing sanity and whatnot and puts a metaprog town upgrade grind on top of it. Top notch Mignola ripoff art, viscerally unpleasant gameplay.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
speaking of Darkest Dungeon and "viscerally unpleasant", replaying through the Crimson Court DLC on playthrough 2 significantly lowered my opinion of the devs

just layer on layer of additional tedious "gently caress you" mechanics compensated by...a few class set trinkets that were mostly underwhelming

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I enjoy Tiny Rogues, but I do feel like the difficulty only really picks up in the second half of the game, and even then only really in the last three floors. I do like that the loot rock is clearly just a x rock from BoI!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

I enjoy Tiny Rogues, but I do feel like the difficulty only really picks up in the second half of the game, and even then only really in the last three floors. I do like that the loot rock is clearly just a x rock from BoI!

It will have more difficulties later. Dev has said he would like something like Hades.

---

Brotato is out. 5€.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I understand why they do it (a cheaper way for smallish teams to do easily scalable-across-multiple-platforms 2D HD graphics without doing pixel-art) but I really hate the South Park-esque construction paper-style animation of so many modern indie games, and in my head Darkest Dungeon was at the vanguard of popularizing that style.

Edit: I realize they were cribbing from Odin Sphere and other things and didn't INVENT that style, it just feels like after DD was when I started seeing it EVERYWHERE.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 27, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Imagined posted:

I understand why they do it (a cheaper way for smallish teams to do easily scalable-across-multiple-platforms 2D HD graphics without doing pixel-art) but I really hate the South Park-esque construction paper-style animation of so many modern indie games, and in my head Darkest Dungeon was at the vanguard of popularizing that style.

Darkest Dungeon 2 is all 3D.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Paperdoll style animation has been around forever, and yeah it's usually chosen because it's relatively easy to work with and produce.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Turin Turambar posted:

It will have more difficulties later. Dev has said he would like something like Hades.

Well that's good to know! By the way, for anyone who enjoys the weapon feel in Tiny Rogues, Archvale has something very similar (and very polished, even if it's not a roguelike) -- it's 15 dollars on Steam, but free on Gamepass if I remember right.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The aged Dream within Dreams for DD was a highly replayable, high aesthetic spectacle/escalation, Horror Movie Trilogy. As is, apparently somebody else will have to chase that down still as the lure of grinding/playing slots/optimization treadmills/etc remains one of dire power. There's fundamentally good stuff buried within/despite it, but they are along for the ride for an entirely different destination and experience throughout and I have to imagine the sequel is intent on doubling down.

Another good Path of Achra update adding general polish and assortment alongside a new mechanic:

https://ulfsire.itch.io/path-of-achra/devlog/432420/version-018-ice-dancer

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, the actual story content is very thin on the ground right now. Story mode keeps getting new monsters/items/events as you unlock them, but most of the final bosses are missing, only two of the characters have any story setup and no-one has any resolution. And the rest of the story is planned to be the very last thing before it leaves EA. :negative:

IIRC, the current roadmap looks something like:
v7.x: remaining non-final-boss monsters, shiny battles, and storyline events
v8.x: remaining music, any monsters that got pushed back from v7, Tower game mode
v9.x: remaining final bosses, playable characters, and storyline

The dev has mentioned elsewhere that about 50% of the story content is implemented and ready to ship, but less than 10% is actually accessible in-game currently, so there will probably be some point in the v9 series where a huge pile of story content lands at once.

There's three final bosses in right now, and there's supposed to be one for every enemy type, so there's a good number left! Which is nice.

Jack Trades posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You know, this reminds me about some opinions about metaprogression I had which I think everybody would very interested in hearing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

John Lee posted:

There's three final bosses in right now, and there's supposed to be one for every enemy type, so there's a good number left! Which is nice.

a robot final boss that takes the "blow up these parts before you can blow up these parts" to the extreme would be pretty nutty...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

Well that's good to know! By the way, for anyone who enjoys the weapon feel in Tiny Rogues, Archvale has something very similar (and very polished, even if it's not a roguelike) -- it's 15 dollars on Steam, but free on Gamepass if I remember right.

Duly noted, I have Gamepass.

---

First Brotato win, yayy

Now there are 30 classes. Some of them are super specific, like the dev is deciding the build for yourself, but still, an impressive number.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Beta is out for (the first half of) a big, big Revita update

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just unlocked Endless Nightmare in TVRUHH, so I quickly started a run just to see how it would be.

This is never going to end…

I guess it’s well-named!

e: I couldn't beat the void with +30% attack speed; it ended

nrook fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 27, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Captain Foo posted:

lmao at “objectively fun”

:same:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

John Lee posted:

Yeah, and IIRC all the current final bosses count as veyerals, so that means there's at least five more final bosses to go (and that's assuming each category only gets one boss).

I just hope it'll be finished in my lifetime!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what is everyone's favorite and least fav fights? i was thinking about how both for me are glass floras. the momo fights and echo for favorites, anything involving vitera for least favorite.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

what is everyone's favorite and least fav fights? i was thinking about how both for me are glass floras. the momo fights and echo for favorites, anything involving vitera for least favorite.

Least favourite for me is easily Lyla/Shyla. Those long periods of downtime with nothing to do but dodge? Not my jam. I can usually perfect-clear them but I don't enjoy doing so.

Favourite is probably Momo or Sentinel 4X, both based entirely on vibes rather than mechanics.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

pretty much any of the monster class that plays Her Adamant Will, Lila* included

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf0Ea2uYAsY

* I don't mind the downtime - in fact I sort-of appreciate it. I stress easy**, what can I say :shobon:

** yes Nix Polyps or whatever that monster's called messes me up real bad, why do you ask

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Love Echo as it's always a pleasant fight and Momo is always interesting. Stella is a good one as well.

Veyeral Rain is a hard skip for me, a lot of RNG bullshit to deal with. Nova is too drat long.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Osmosisch posted:

Can we just cool it a bit with all the obvious bait in the thread? It's getting really tiresome.

Sorry, poor choice of words. "DD's gameplay was received well by a wide audience". [citation needed]
It's just a some mild exaggeration, like saying "everybody in the world" or whatever.

----

Cogmind chat: Trying to get back into the game, unsure how to deal with Interceptor squadrons when I'm not playing a heavy tank guy on easy settings. Do people keep a spare set of wheels handy or something?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 28, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I always liked Lila, there’s a lot of variety to her survival phases. If she’s easy they can be frustratingly boring, but if she’s overleveled there’s usually a lot going on and they’re quite enjoyable.

I like Nix Polyps too, just consistently interesting. And the paint monster, whose name I forget right now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I love Nix Polyps, it just feels really cool to full clear and the music is great. I do not like Tox Polyps though, going backwards messes with my head and I always get psyched out

edit: Oh yeah Veyeral Rain is my least favorite.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

About the same as before, really, though a lot more polished- Roboquest is mechanically the best-playing game of the subgenre still but it's not a whole lot farther along then it was this time last year. The recent updates have been refining or replacing unpopular systems and more changing existing things rather then adding much new content, and while that's been going on we've had multiple Roguelite FPS enter EA and release as full games now, including Gunfire Reborn, which is probably it's main competitor and while I don't think it plays nearly as well Gunfire has a lot more 'there' then Roboquest currently has. The Autumn playtest and patch notes are live and still don't seem like that substantial an addition beyond adding some additional enemy types- even by their own checklist. what has the most work to go are levels and level design and it shows, and they haven't had a meaningful update of new content since last summer- at this point this is by far what is keeping Roboquest feeling less like a complete experience and more like... well, an early access game.

Looking at their roadmap, the Winter Update is supposedly very meaty and mostly focused on stages, and the game hits v1.0 on the update after that, but at this point I'm gonna have to see it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Tiny Rogues kicks rear end