Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

I agree, and Holyrood should switch to FPTP for elections. Then the SNP will no longer be beholden to the extremist greens (or anyone else for that matter as they would win 99% of the seats).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cat Machine posted:

Was at TWT at the weekend (the event the Mail were calling "the Labour Party's hard left extremist fringe event") and it is insane to think this guy is in the same political party as people who I saw advocating for workers rights, loan forgiveness and abolishing the monarchy

Yeah, just goes to show that Labour must be destroyed because it's the only way to great rid of these loving scummy wreckers

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
pr is bad because it would mean the government would be a representation of the people's wishes.

- labour, 2022

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i have this running on a loop in the background, really sets the mood.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

I can't unsee the necklace

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

can someone summarize the labor files, is it a real thing or a nothingburger

it's very real but is being made into a nothingburger by the media who won't touch it because lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

well that's an incredibly hosed up ring

Vim Fuego posted:

I can't unsee the necklace

well that's an incredibly hosed up ring

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
She has more than one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

can you swim across the Channel or is it too wide for normal people to do that ?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

euphronius posted:

can you swim across the Channel or is it too wide for normal people to do that ?
6 people have swum across the atlantic, so surely the channel would be a breeze

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

euphronius posted:

too cold for a normal person unless they have a drysuit i'd imagine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the latest multi-swim was in 2019 where a woman went back and forth between england and france four times. the first swim across was in 1875

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Even that prick from little britain has swum it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i really need to hurry up and train for a century (100 mile ride) on my bike before my body collapses

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
takes about 8+ hours in cold water, not great without a wetsuit or the traditional alternative of slathering yourself in incredible amounts of grease. needs training and practice but certainly doable

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

too cold for a normal person unless they have a drysuit i'd imagine
the colder it is, the harder you can swim without overheating

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when i got for multi-hour bike rides i pretty much need to suck down calories constantly or else i run out of steam. i wonder what they do in the water

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

i say swears online posted:

when i got for multi-hour bike rides i pretty much need to suck down calories constantly or else i run out of steam. i wonder what they do in the water

in official attempts there's always a trailing boat that just hand you stuff. idk about this hypothetical refugee scenario

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
kendal mint cakes i think. super super calorically dense foods.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think the breeze is part of the problem

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gonadic io posted:

in official attempts there's always a trailing boat that just hand you stuff. idk about this hypothetical refugee scenario

just how i think supported bike tours are lame (a van with equipment just tails you the whole time), channel swimmers should be expected to stare death in the eyes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

just how i think supported bike tours are lame (a van with equipment just tails you the whole time), channel swimmers should be expected to stare death in the eyes
real swimmers catch their own food

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Depending on which country they start from, they will be.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

Even that prick from little britain has swum it.

There's 2 pricks from Little Britain, you should narrow it down

(OK, I know the one you mean, I just wanted to insult Matt Lucas too)

And yeah, it is swimmable, at about 20 miles at its narrowest point, Dover to Calais. But it's also the busiest stretch of water in the world, with a quiet day having 500 boats travelling through it. The record is 7 hours, the average goon sure as poo poo isn't doing it under 14. Hell, the first attempt took just under 22 hours. I am fairly confident that I would drown after 22 hours in the Channel, if a tanker doesn't hit me first & turn my body into mush.

There've been refugees whose bodies turned up as far away as Norway who are believed to have tried swimming from France to England. It's probably quite a hard thing to do without loads of training & support.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i did about 1 mile in the mediterranean when i was 14, with a break on a rock about halfway between. i still remember how exhausted i was

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

wtf???? that's really long. and surely sharks would have got them. or a storm. or the kraken

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they sleep on a boat at night and have some sort of shark repellent iirc

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Some in Number 10 are believed to blame the Tory unrest on the failure of ministers and their teams to properly explain their plans.

"Some around Truss think this all just needs to be explained better," said one business source familiar with the conversations in Number 10.

Some in government are understood to see the market assault on the pound and government debt as a plot by the left, something which has surprised city traders.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
lmao let's go
https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1574814768489238528?s=20&t=G4CizCTwubyTSn5X_4eyNQ

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"ambi-valent"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol the trolling at the very end is funny

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CoolCab posted:

it's the 26th of september and already basically the entire eurozone is in severe recession. we haven't even got to winter yet lol

lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ReutersJamie/status/1574830997593624585?s=20&t=quc96GUyXPy7gIeKOjsVeA

the IMF got the sign off from the City to say this right

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lmfao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

rip to britaine, you had a run

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

"they don't like Kings"

lmao

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

my favorite IMF comments from today:

https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1574829056247332864
https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1574829146294947875
https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1574829251286663169

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Can you translate that into layman's terms?

edit: the tweet you quoted, not the RIP