Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol i just noticed the small larry name. very good

now make it smaller

They need to make Larry's name small when quoted too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I was once given a big probation cuz I quoted a guy who was losing his mind about Cixin Liu being a CPC op or something and said 'thats all good to me'

A month for saying, “ I don’t find the Chinese inherently untrustworthy” and kept chainprobjbg someone in IZ the whole time lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I got the tude now posted:

A month for saying, “ I don’t find the Chinese inherently untrustworthy” and kept chainprobjbg someone in IZ the whole time lmao

In defense of the [bleep] book barn mod it was definitely funny until I realized he was serious

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just asked to be demodded so good luck to Rhino

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

I was once given a big probation cuz I quoted a guy who was losing his mind about Cixin Liu being a CPC op or something and said 'thats all good to me'

i was banned for saying very unkind things about bobby kotick

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Roth posted:

f

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I wonder how many mods will quit.

E:

Roth posted:

Posted before seeing this. rip.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Roth posted:

rip

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Roth posted:

drat rip

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Roth posted:

You'll be missed :(

Also what even kicked off all this drama, it can't just be about the quotes Arf posted... right?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sagas thread can have a leak from me as a treat

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the mods deserve to be griefed. sorry

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As for overall using "aids" as a pejorative, it feels an awful lot like pedo accusations, quite frankly. That is, there's something happening in wider culture where people are jumping to whatever is the absolute worst thing they can conjure up in their imagination and using that as a stand in for "bad". I'm not even a little qualified to speculate on why that is happening, but I'm definitely seeing it outside the forums as well, so this is a wider cultural thing beyond what happens here.

As for cracking down on it, I would agree with Roth that Larry would retort that as a gay man, he has as much a right as anyone to use it. Not saying that is right, but it is an argument that is likely to resonate with bystanders and I don't think that it's something that we're gonna come off looking good doing.

I kind of want to make a short serious post in the QCS thread, something like "a six-hour probation for using old-timey ethnic slurs doesn't seem out of line; if we really thought it was a deep moral offence it would have received a heavier punishment." But, also, I feel like I don't want to interrupt Larry Parrish's quite spectacular meltdown over being spoken to politely.

Both dongicus and Larry would probably be a lot happier if they had like 1 or 2 designated mods who pretended to get mad at their trolling like people used to. A lot of the flailing around for pressure points on posters and mods probably comes from not really getting as much out of bugging people anymore.

Roth posted:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
lmfao

god bless

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
:kstare:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Roth posted:

quote in case they edit it out lol (they will)

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
its gotta be greener on the other side of whatever the gently caress that is

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I stand by that. Everyone is here to rubberneck at current drama, and it's funny to watch any of you pretend otherwise.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dongicus posted:

quote in case they edit it out lol (they will)

Nah, I stand by it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Violen posted:

lmfao

god bless

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Azathoth posted:

I stand by that. Everyone is here to rubberneck at current drama, and it's funny to watch any of you pretend otherwise.

I'm a messy bitch who loves drama

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you considered just not closing it and merely performing the job of moderating if it gets too aggro or whatever. You know. Like you guys are supposed to do theoretically lol.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sourdough posted:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm on day four of covid and I feel like poo poo but at least I'm not involved in whatever the hell this is

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Azathoth posted:

No I just like to read funny forum stories. But even if I didn't, it's incredibly conceited to think the wants of the mod team superceed the interests of the site's users

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I'm here to rubberneck at drama.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Heath posted:

I'm on day four of covid and I feel like poo poo but at least I'm not involved in whatever the hell this is

I hope you get better soon, that poo poo can really gently caress you up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Heath posted:

God bless, and good health, op

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i like the forums meta threads and that's why i browse this thread, qcs and the fyad mental health thread because

sourdough posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
drama is inevitable and it is good to have a containment zone for goons to discuss it so it doesnt spill into the rest of the forums and even if you lock or gas the sagas threads its just going to end up in QCS anyway so theres not really a point in trying to stop people from posting about it

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Azathoth posted:

if the drama is that i post in a cringey way in the mod forum, wait until you get a look at how i post everywhere

Azathoth posted:

All according to keikaku.

this jovial posting through it shtick versus whats going down behind the scenes is so loving funny every time in situations like this

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

No Dignity posted:

No I just like to read funny forum stories. But even if I didn't, it's incredibly conceited to think the wants of the mod team superceed the interests of the site's users

this

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thread rocks

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
sagas thread is infinitely better for drama shitposting than the helldump lite trashfire that is qcs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Dignity posted:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also mods absiolutely need to be griefed and trolled on a regular basis so as to not let their power get to their head

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

Have you considered just not closing it and merely performing the job of moderating if it gets too aggro or whatever. You know. Like you guys are supposed to do theoretically lol.

We'll see. As I said, I can be persuaded. However, that all this blows up here definitely reinforces my point that this thread solely exists to stir the pot.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Azathoth posted:

I love drama, what can I say, other than the mods and admins at large should stop behaving like weak rear end babies.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Azathoth posted:

I don't care about Arf but this other post suggests you really don't have an appropriate temperament for moderation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

also mods absiolutely need to be griefed and trolled on a regular basis so as to not let their power get to their head