Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

drama is inevitable and it is good to have a containment zone for goons to discuss it so it doesnt spill into the rest of the forums and even if you lock or gas the sagas threads its just going to end up in QCS anyway so theres not really a point in trying to stop people from posting about it

what even is the drama as far as I can tell it's that a mod was cringe in the mod forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Azathoth posted:

I stand by that. Everyone is here to rubberneck at current drama, and it's funny to watch any of you pretend otherwise.

This is a 100% serious question without irony: does any of this stuff even matter that much?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

Have you considered just not closing it and merely performing the job of moderating if it gets too aggro or whatever. You know. Like you guys are supposed to do theoretically lol.

sourdough posted:

I'm a messy bitch who loves drama

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Azathoth posted:

I stand by that. Everyone is here to rubberneck at current drama, and it's funny to watch any of you pretend otherwise.

As somebody who registered over a decade ago, but worked retail until the pandemic, I didn't really start posting/browsing until 3 or so years ago, so I missed a lot of the stuff that has become in jokes and references by this point, and legitimately enjoy having a thread where people talk about these things. I didn't know who Koalas March was, I didn't know about the guy carrying a printer, etc. Being able to retroactively understand these things has made me feel like more a part of this community.

Edit: Also, as other people said, who cares if people rubberneck at drama or talk smack about the mods? Gassing the thread because of that is equivalent to the cops who arrest people for being disrespectful.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 27, 2022

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sorry to throw you inder the boss Az, but I just never want to be asked to mod again because I know I'll say yes like an idiot

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what even is the drama as far as I can tell it's that a mod was cringe in the mod forum

someone leaked the mod forum and this is the most serious crime imaginable

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Azathoth posted:

We'll see. As I said, I can be persuaded. However, that all this blows up here definitely reinforces my point that this thread solely exists to stir the pot.

i think the problem here is overdramatic language aside no one at all thinks otherwise everyone else just thinks this is a dumbass thing to be concerned about lol

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

No Dignity posted:

No I just like to read funny forum stories. But even if I didn't, it's incredibly conceited to think the wants of the mod team superceed the interests of the site's users

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

This is a 100% serious question without irony: does any of this stuff even matter that much?
Oh, it really doesn't, but let's just pretend.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
let people post about poo poo who the gently caress cares

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

If you dont stir the pot you end with stagnating megathreads full of the most psychotic posters online, like the DeviantArt thread, AGDQ or Covid

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The mod forum should be viewable anyways.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I personally think it's important to always have a thread around to talk poo poo about KM and Lowtax

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Azathoth posted:

who's denying it, lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

drat, people posting? about events? on a forum? this Cannot Stand

i do agree though, remove the one year rule

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Roth posted:

Sorry to throw you inder the boss Az, but I just never want to be asked to mod again because I know I'll say yes like an idiot

Like I said, I stand by what I said, and the reaction of everyone here only tells me I'm right.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
'stir the pot'...? also re: the posts I was sent about me, or at least the first one... can you seriously tell me why the mods had some kind of weird debate about what it meant when I call things aids instead of just asking me lol. i would have told you, I know you guys are all 45 years old and don't know what I'm saying half the time anyway, it's obvious

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this sword of damocles routine is cringe, as they say

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Larry Parrish posted:

As for overall using "aids" as a pejorative, it feels an awful lot like pedo accusations, quite frankly. That is, there's something happening in wider culture where people are jumping to whatever is the absolute worst thing they can conjure up in their imagination and using that as a stand in for "bad". I'm not even a little qualified to speculate on why that is happening, but I'm definitely seeing it outside the forums as well, so this is a wider cultural thing beyond what happens here.

As for cracking down on it, I would agree with Roth that Larry would retort that as a gay man, he has as much a right as anyone to use it. Not saying that is right, but it is an argument that is likely to resonate with bystanders and I don't think that it's something that we're gonna come off looking good doing.

I kind of want to make a short serious post in the QCS thread, something like "a six-hour probation for using old-timey ethnic slurs doesn't seem out of line; if we really thought it was a deep moral offence it would have received a heavier punishment." But, also, I feel like I don't want to interrupt Larry Parrish's quite spectacular meltdown over being spoken to politely.

Both dongicus and Larry would probably be a lot happier if they had like 1 or 2 designated mods who pretended to get mad at their trolling like people used to. A lot of the flailing around for pressure points on posters and mods probably comes from not really getting as much out of bugging people anymore.

larry's designated mod like:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Azathoth heroically not deleting his post from the internet so we can prove him right.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

As for overall using "aids" as a pejorative, it feels an awful lot like pedo accusations, quite frankly. That is, there's something happening in wider culture where people are jumping to whatever is the absolute worst thing they can conjure up in their imagination and using that as a stand in for "bad". I'm not even a little qualified to speculate on why that is happening, but I'm definitely seeing it outside the forums as well, so this is a wider cultural thing beyond what happens here.

As for cracking down on it, I would agree with Roth that Larry would retort that as a gay man, he has as much a right as anyone to use it. Not saying that is right, but it is an argument that is likely to resonate with bystanders and I don't think that it's something that we're gonna come off looking good doing.

I kind of want to make a short serious post in the QCS thread, something like "a six-hour probation for using old-timey ethnic slurs doesn't seem out of line; if we really thought it was a deep moral offence it would have received a heavier punishment." But, also, I feel like I don't want to interrupt Larry Parrish's quite spectacular meltdown over being spoken to politely.

Both dongicus and Larry would probably be a lot happier if they had like 1 or 2 designated mods who pretended to get mad at their trolling like people used to. A lot of the flailing around for pressure points on posters and mods probably comes from not really getting as much out of bugging people anymore.

Lmfao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be clear: when I call things aids it means it's bad, because having aids is bad. for your health. it's also funny because aids is funny, because you get it from having sex.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

lmfao at the concept of AIDS being protected gay man speech

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

to be clear: when I call things aids it means it's bad, because having aids is bad. for your health. it's also funny because aids is funny, because you get it from having sex.

Simple math

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It’s simply not that serious az

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ill mod the movie forums but only if im allowed to ban zack snyder

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Azathoth posted:

who cares though

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Azathoth posted:

Like I said, I stand by what I said, and the reaction of everyone here only tells me I'm right.

Seriously just ignore this poo poo. I don't understand. It's not like Kiwi Farms where there's a serious risk of people coming round your house IRL.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

'stir the pot'...? also re: the posts I was sent about me, or at least the first one... can you seriously tell me why the mods had some kind of weird debate about what it meant when I call things aids instead of just asking me lol. i would have told you, I know you guys are all 45 years old and don't know what I'm saying half the time anyway, it's obvious
That was a dumb debate, it was clear what you meant at least to me. I get why some people don't like seeing aids used as a pejorative but it seems dumb to probe you for it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Roth posted:

Sagas thread can have a leak from me as a treat

lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

congrats roth for escaping, by the way

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dongicus posted:

larry's designated mod like:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

list of bad things that might happen if a goon drama rubbernecking thread continued to exist:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Seriously just ignore this poo poo. I don't understand. It's not like Kiwi Farms where there's a serious risk of people coming round your house IRL.

My point was, and still is, that having a thread solely devoted to current drama is bad for the forums overall and that is what this thread is, the weakass 1 year rule being routinely ignored when good drama happens, which was only put in place as a precondition of having the thread again after it got gassed for the nth time.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Azathoth posted:

Azatoth yelling in social media about how the perfidious trolls ransacked his home for ultra high level classified info, only gleaned by binders named "the Arf protocol" and "the AIDS (pejoratively) epidemic"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

ahhh ahhhhhhh lmfaoooo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
does everyone in the mod forum post like the villain in a budget political drama

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth posted:

My point was, and still is, that having a thread solely devoted to current drama is bad for the forums overall and that is what this thread is, the weakass 1 year rule being routinely ignored when good drama happens, which was only put in place as a precondition of having the thread again after it got gassed for the nth time.

why is it bad for the forums overall.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
glad we could all agree to undo larrys unjust cspam aids ban

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Violen posted:

i think the problem here is overdramatic language aside no one at all thinks otherwise everyone else just thinks this is a dumbass thing to be concerned about lol
I can be persuaded
what a game of thrones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Roth posted:

Sagas thread can have a leak from me as a treat

lol

this threads really not that high stakes. if someone gets aggro then moderate them, otherwise its mostly people laughin at koala's march or whatever old saga people just rhought of unless big drama happens, and then when it does youve got all the drama commentary in one place