Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The calling stuff Aids discussion happened right as the monkeypox thing was being blamed on gay people and that was used as an excuse to not bother trying to stop it, so there was certainly a knee-jerk aspect to it, myself included. Since then it's kinda circled back to who gives a poo poo

Also:

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I personally think it's important to always have a thread around to talk poo poo about KM and Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
if I can vaguely recall a James Bond villain monologue can I be a mod too

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Azathoth posted:

I'll flip it around, why is having a place that intensifies and often creates drama good for the forums overall?

creating 'drama' (lolling at terrible posters in one thread) as u put it is has been 100x more effective than mods in removing some of the worst members of this community.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

its a funny thread on the comed y forum and educates people about the storied history of the website . hth

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think saying the 1year rule wasn't being followed is disingenuous. Roth and Rhino came down on KirbyKhan when he posted about newer events. And I don't think that's the only case of them enforcing that rule. These mod forum leaks might just be clouding the picture because of emotions surrounding it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Azathoth posted:

I'll flip it around, why is having a place that intensifies and often creates drama good for the forums overall?

I can't see what drama this thread has created, it just often sticks a spotlight on it. Talking about funny things that happen on SA isn't bad for the forums.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
thats the other thing too i feel like theres a massive gap between the staff's and the users' definitions of drama lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Vinestalk posted:

I think saying the 1year rule wasn't being followed is disingenuous. Roth and Rhino came down on KirbyKhan when he posted about newer events. And I don't think that's the only case of them enforcing that rule. These mod forum leaks might just be clouding the picture because of emotions surrounding it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

the sagas thread is extremely good. but mods are obsessed with threads "acting up" and "needing a time out" etc, lol. just gotta suck it up

And no one agrees on what is a bad thread or what is a bad post.

I think having a mod forum private to hash that out is a good thing because it's whatever about posting cringey, but it's good to have an outlet to discuss things without it becoming a big deal.

But honestly the mod forum is a microcosm of the forums as a whole, with some people taking poo poo way too seriously and personal, some folks trying to act cool and above it all and others just rubbernecking and loling.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dongicus posted:

creating 'drama' (lolling at terrible posters in one thread) as u put it is has been 100x more effective than mods in removing some of the worst members of this community.

Violen posted:

thats the other thing too i feel like theres a massive gap between the staff's and the users' definitions of drama lol

this lol

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Azathoth posted:

My point was, and still is, that having a thread solely devoted to current drama is bad for the forums overall and that is what this thread is, the weakass 1 year rule being routinely ignored when good drama happens, which was only put in place as a precondition of having the thread again after it got gassed for the nth time.

If you don't like this thread, then gas it again. People will bitch, and I get it's wearying to see people bitch, but if they bitch too much, you can take comfort in the fact they've got emotionally invested in something that doesn't fuckin matter. People should have hobbies, and jobs, and social lives that make a single forum thread irrelevant by comparison. And if they don't, that's no-one's problem but theirs.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
There absolutely needs to be a forum history thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Larry Parrish posted:

but is that what's happening here? i don't think so. personally im not on some crusade it's just funny that the mod forum isn't public and pretty much the only real reason is because some of the idiot grey forum mods/admins like to post while doing the evangelion pose while discussing whether it's a hate crime to say aids. and that's funny to lol at.

idk if i missed some other poo poo before the mod forum posts but i think mods posting cringe is not really a big deal which is why it would be dumb for this to blow up into an actual thing that pisses people off

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

absolutely. i wanna talk about printer guy sometimes

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

These mods and admins that think a drama free forum is somwthing achievable, or even desirable, should go somewhere more inline with their sensibilities, like a forum about pet rocks or a message board about knitting hats for pet rocks (pastel colors ONLY)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I guess people didn't get probed for breaking the dumb one year rule re: dog bricking goon but otherwise I have no idea what nefarious scandal this thread is at the heart of beside larry, like, getting mod forum posts pmed to him???

Edit: arf not larry whatever lol

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 27, 2022

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

For the record, I'm not going to gas the thread. I wrote that in a fit of pique and at no point would I have actually done that. All it would have meant is a half dozen QCS threads from everyone freaking out and causing more drama, thus defeating the purpose.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

goon telephone is a hell of a thing so I always appreciate it when someone in this thread sets the record straight on some forums thing that was exaggerated or outright made up

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Azathoth posted:

Saga threads create far less drama than the rest of the forum.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qnqnx posted:

These mods and admins that think a drama free forum is somwthing achievable, or even desirable, should go somewhere more inline with their sensibilities, like a forum about pet rocks or a message board about knitting hats for pet rocks (pastel colors ONLY)

the entire point of the internet in my mind is it's a place to hang out with my friends and also to make fun of people who are being cringey. at no point am I only going to do one of those lol. actually to be frank this is what my retard brain thinks conversations are

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Azathoth posted:

For the record, I'm not going to gas the thread. I wrote that in a fit of pique and at no point would I have actually done that. All it would have meant is a half dozen QCS threads from everyone freaking out and causing more drama, thus defeating the purpose.

youre talkin about drama like it's black mold or somethin, or like its a gauge youre tryin to get to 0 when thats not possible or desirable

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

there is one but an admin wants to close it

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

wtf is rubbernecking

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this shouldve been a page of people laughing at some embarrassing mod poo poo and then moving on but the ridiculous staff response has made it infinitely more hyperactive, way more than the thread itself existing ever would or ever has for any other stupid nonsense that goes on here lol

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

If you don't like this thread, then gas it again. People will bitch, and I get it's wearying to see people bitch, but if they bitch too much, you can take comfort in the fact they've got emotionally invested in something that doesn't fuckin matter. People should have hobbies, and jobs, and social lives that make a single forum thread irrelevant by comparison. And if they don't, that's no-one's problem but theirs.

imagine being the kind of person whos 'taking comfort' in depriving people of an activity they enjoy like what lmfao

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

woozy pawsies posted:

wtf is rubbernecking

When you drive by an accident and turn your head to stare as you're going by

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I feel like I've missed a chapter even having read the last few pages. what is actually happening and why is it specifically the sagas thread's fault? Just mod forum leaks?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fungah! posted:

youre talkin about drama like it's black mold or somethin, or like its a gauge youre tryin to get to 0 when thats not possible or desirable

Whole lotta drama hidden behind this wall. Ain't gonna be cheap to fix it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

woozy pawsies posted:

wtf is rubbernecking

it's kinda like Brigading, which means "reading the forum" but with the intention of casting the people doing it in a bad light

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

imagine being the kind of person whos 'taking comfort' in depriving people of an activity they enjoy like what lmfao

I think you missed the irony in what I was saying

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
correctly hyperactive because this is all, it must be stressed, insanely funny

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Violen posted:

this shouldve been a page of people laughing at some embarrassing mod poo poo and then moving on but the ridiculous staff response has made it infinitely more hyperactive, way more than the thread itself existing ever would or ever has for any other stupid nonsense that goes on here lol

Yeah, was formulating a reply to this effect myself. I don't know if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy or the Streisand Effect or what, but if you don't want goons talking about recent drama then maybe, you know, don't poop your posting pants and smear it all over the walls at the slightest imagined provocation?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

woozy pawsies posted:

wtf is rubbernecking

Oral sex with a condom on. I think.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Larry Parrish posted:

'stir the pot'...? also re: the posts I was sent about me, or at least the first one... can you seriously tell me why the mods had some kind of weird debate about what it meant when I call things aids instead of just asking me lol. i would have told you, I know you guys are all 45 years old and don't know what I'm saying half the time anyway, it's obvious

I don't think you should use AIDS an an adjective because it's not funny. Simple as that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Valko posted:

I don't think you should use AIDS an an adjective because it's not funny. Simple as that.

its sometimes funny

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

DaysBefore posted:

I guess people didn't get probed for breaking the dumb one year rule re: dog bricking goon but otherwise I have no idea what nefarious scandal this thread is at the heart of beside larry, like, getting mod forum posts pmed to him???

and i explicitly fuckin asked nicely and got permission before posting about it too

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

small ghost posted:

I feel like I've missed a chapter even having read the last few pages. what is actually happening and why is it specifically the sagas thread's fault? Just mod forum leaks?

someone made a joke about mods and i followed it up with mod posts that worked off it. thats literally it lol

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

small ghost posted:

Yeah. And no one even really cared about it that much. Well, except, you know...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

leaking PI (that's private infiormation for you normies) from the sacred mod forum. fyad at it again :rolleyes: when are we gonna close that sub down?