Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Fine I looked and there is a seemingly very nice one just down the road from me for $500. What precisely is "vibration" - the deck? The head? The blade? Or "trust me you can't miss it"?

As for what she wants it for, I guess practice on a deep throated power tool? (I don't actually know specifically, but we were offered two free Lincoln welders from a friend (a 120v mig and a 240v/30a (or 50a unclear) tig and she said "I mean what I've really been wanting is a scroll saw." She does a lot of art in various mediums, right now it's a lot of lino block printing, but she also sews, paints, draws, you get the idea. We made giant teeth for our house as a pandemic project and I think it's stuff like that on a much smaller finer scale.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah but it's pink so freight cost be damned. A standard no-stack skid on a LTL load isn't THAT expensive if I have until christmas to get it to me. :v:

Awesome. Sounds like 16" or 24" is the way to go, and I imagine if I'm buying new pinless is going to be the only game in town.

Where does one scope out... deals on these? Just watch homedepot or is there some place the cool kids buy tools?

A good number of places that sell some of these higher end tools seem to be somewhat local stores so it is tough to say where to get deals. If you've decided to go new, I'd probably recommend the DeWalt Dw788, probably best bang for your buck. So maybe see where you could even buy one of those and then monitor it for deals.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Fine I looked and there is a seemingly very nice one just down the road from me for $500. What precisely is "vibration" - the deck? The head? The blade? Or "trust me you can't miss it"?

As for what she wants it for, I guess practice on a deep throated power tool? (I don't actually know specifically, but we were offered two free Lincoln welders from a friend (a 120v mig and a 240v/30a (or 50a unclear) tig and she said "I mean what I've really been wanting is a scroll saw." She does a lot of art in various mediums, right now it's a lot of lino block printing, but she also sews, paints, draws, you get the idea. We made giant teeth for our house as a pandemic project and I think it's stuff like that on a much smaller finer scale.)

it's in the "trust me you can't miss it" category. The bad ones will literally vibrate off the bench if they're not clamped down. A nice scroll saw feels like operating a sewing machine.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Awesome. Thank you. This is all great information. I will figure out a time to go lose a finger demo'ing this one.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Luckily they're very safe (for a cutting tool). Biggest danger is running your hand into the blade while pushing a workpiece, but it'd most likely give you a nasty cut, not amputate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NomNomNom posted:

Luckily they're very safe (for a cutting tool). Biggest danger is running your hand into the blade while pushing a workpiece, but it'd most likely give you a nasty cut, not amputate.

Who said anything about the tool? This is facebook market.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Scroll-saws are one of those tools where the noise-to-performance ratio doesn't add up. Here's a tool that makes more god-drat noise than most shop tools, but it takes it's ball and goes home if you try cut anything harder than a carrot with it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Scroll-saws are one of those tools where the noise-to-performance ratio doesn't add up. Here's a tool that makes more god-drat noise than most shop tools, but it takes it's ball and goes home if you try cut anything harder than a carrot with it.

lovely ones, sure. Good ones are incredibly useful and will cut any wood you try.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

lovely ones, sure. Good ones are incredibly useful and will cut any wood you try.

Is your blade sharp? Are you sure? Are you really sure? Have you replaced it recently? Dull blades will make life harder so don't skimp.

Or be like my dipshit coworker and ruin every cutting tool in the shop because you cut fiberglass/carbon fiber/aluminum on the wood tools all day, then tell people to "just push harder" when the bandsaw smokes trying to cut a 2 x 4.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

H110Hawk posted:

What is the make/model?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Man I love it local places have switched to online bidding for estate sales. So much easier, just snagged a rusted up No 6 plane. I really want a 7 but this should still be good, and can probably easily double my money if I clean it up.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bob Mundon posted:

Man I love it local places have switched to online bidding for estate sales. So much easier, just snagged a rusted up No 6 plane. I really want a 7 but this should still be good, and can probably easily double my money if I clean it up.

Is there a website where local estate sales are listed or is this some company local to you that spun up online bidding?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is there a website where local estate sales are listed or is this some company local to you that spun up online bidding?

Hibid.com

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

tangy yet delightful posted:

https://www.estatesales.net/

A lot of them are still in person but generally you can get a good idea of what tools are available with the pictures. You just have to beat the retirees to the punch.

A couple local places here are doing online auctions now though, much easier.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 25, 2022

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Not a tool question but a hardware one so I think it's still thread-appropriate:

I'm looking for hinges like those used on small jewelry boxes, the kind that that jewelry is typically sold in and "snap" closed. What's the right search term for that: spring hinges? Self-closing hinges? Most of the search results produce large hinges that would be appropriate for cabinets but not small boxes.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Trabant posted:

Not a tool question but a hardware one so I think it's still thread-appropriate:

I'm looking for hinges like those used on small jewelry boxes, the kind that that jewelry is typically sold in and "snap" closed. What's the right search term for that: spring hinges? Self-closing hinges? Most of the search results produce large hinges that would be appropriate for cabinets but not small boxes.

I would look at Rockler, they have a lot of small project hardware for stuff like jewelry/keepsake boxes: https://www.rockler.com/hardware/cabinet-hardware/hinges/specialty-hinges

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I snagged a nice fostner bit set and an old Sears 107-16 hand plane at an estate sale yesterday.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

more falafel please posted:

I would look at Rockler, they have a lot of small project hardware for stuff like jewelry/keepsake boxes: https://www.rockler.com/hardware/cabinet-hardware/hinges/specialty-hinges

They (and Woodcraft) were my first place to check but I couldn't find anything that looked right. I'll just have to go into their stores and ask the old-timers behind the counter if they carry anything like it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I am retracting my long standing support for EGO products. They have garbage tier customer service now, and after loving with me for over 6 months of on-and-off troubleshooting my faulty battery, I finally bullied them into honoring their warranty on it...

Except batteries are backordered for them for an indefinite amount of time, which I only found out after calling them after waiting 3 weeks thinking it was on its way. I found people on reddit that waited 6 months to a year for their replacement batteries to arrive. So until they can manufacture/ship more from China, I have to put up with my mower cutting off 15-20 minutes into light mowing. loving fantastic.

If I had to do it over again I'd definitely go with the Milwaukee. It costs a bit more, but at least Milwaukee stands behind their poo poo and has their supply logistics figured out.

At this point I'm debating just selling the many EGO tools I have and making the switch to Milwaukee sooner rather than later. I've wasted so many hours on the phone with EGO customer service doing their stupid bullshit tests over and over and talking in circles and waiting on hold for hours that I get angry just looking at the mower now.

e: Just checked my post history and I bitched back in May about already having called them 4 times, so I guess it's close to a year than 6 months that I've been trying to warranty this battery. I'd probably have the new battery by now if they had actually warrantied it the first time I contacted them about it having issues.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 27, 2022

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

SpartanIvy posted:

I am retracting my long standing support for EGO products. They have garbage tier customer service now, and after loving with me for over 6 months of on-and-off troubleshooting my faulty battery, I finally bullied them into honoring their warranty on it...

Except batteries are backordered for them for an indefinite amount of time, which I only found out after calling them after waiting 3 weeks thinking it was on its way. I found people on reddit that waited 6 months to a year for their replacement batteries to arrive. So until they can manufacture/ship more from China, I have to put up with my mower cutting off 15-20 minutes into light mowing. loving fantastic.

If I had to do it over again I'd definitely go with the Milwaukee. It costs a bit more, but at least Milwaukee stands behind their poo poo and has their supply logistics figured out.

At this point I'm debating just selling the many EGO tools I have and making the switch to Milwaukee sooner rather than later. I've wasted so many hours on the phone with EGO customer service doing their stupid bullshit tests over and over and talking in circles and waiting on hold for hours that I get angry just looking at the mower now.

e: Just checked my post history and I bitched back in May about already having called them 4 times, so I guess it's close to a year than 6 months that I've been trying to warranty this battery. I'd probably have the new battery by now if they had actually warrantied it the first time I contacted them about it having issues.

This is disappointing to hear. I finally got my yard done and was ready to move on from my Honda mower and was planning on going with EGO because they also sell a snow blower. I might hold off now, because battery supply issues is a pretty big deal. I'm fully into Dewalt with everything else so maybe their new mower isn't complete poo poo.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

wandler20 posted:

This is disappointing to hear. I finally got my yard done and was ready to move on from my Honda mower and was planning on going with EGO because they also sell a snow blower. I might hold off now, because battery supply issues is a pretty big deal. I'm fully into Dewalt with everything else so maybe their new mower isn't complete poo poo.

It's incredibly frustrating because the tools themselves are very good, but with anything battery powered, the battery makes or breaks it. If you don't have reliable batteries and also don't have a lot of them, your tool is useless to people, and that's where EGO is right now.

There is something wrong with their battery design because there are way more failures than it seems other brands experience. EGO seems to be on a downward spiral so I think buying one now is a bad investment. Now that every major established tool battery ecosystem has a mower, stick to those brands.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trabant posted:

They (and Woodcraft) were my first place to check but I couldn't find anything that looked right. I'll just have to go into their stores and ask the old-timers behind the counter if they carry anything like it.

Lee Valley is your friend.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Sucks about EGO. I've been happy with 80v Kobalt tools from Lowes, which were Greenwork rebrands, but Lowes seems to have essentially killed off that line when they decided to start carrying EGO, they still show on their website but no stock seems to exist. I've got 5 batteries and haven't had any problems with them but when they do die I'm either looking at a whole new line of tools or DIYing replacement.

Realistically though, have you looked at the stand-alone prices all these outdoor tool brands want for these giant batteries? You can buy entire tool combos on sale for what 1 battery costs, it seems unsustainable and another good argument for just using the traditional tool-brand solutions, just need Makita to come out with a 36v snowblower.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The 36v Makita lawnmower is my very best friend.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Ego batteries aren’t out of line with the price of Flexvolt. The high voltage platforms are just expensive. High voltage is worth it for cutting tools imo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Alas, I don't see anything resembling "snapping" or spring-loaded hinges on their site. They do have some self-closing hinges but they're comparatively huge because they're made for cabinets.

Think I'll just have to get some small box hinges and add magnets for closure since I don't want a clasp or lock on the front.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Brusso one snaps, doesn't it?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I need hinges though.

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007

Trabant posted:

I need hinges though.

Are you looking for hidden/concealed barrel hinges?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Calidus posted:

Ego batteries aren’t out of line with the price of Flexvolt. The high voltage platforms are just expensive. High voltage is worth it for cutting tools imo.

It's only worth it if they actually work. EGO batteries have a high failure rate and virtually non-existent support and supply.

The 7.5AH EGO battery is out of stock on both Lowes and Aces websites. Their two biggest distributors.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

snuffles posted:

Are you looking for hidden/concealed barrel hinges?

No, I've used those before but neither have the spring action.

I must have described the thing terribly so I made a video using a watch box (same applies to most jewelry boxes I've seen). The top resists being pushed down, reaches an equilibrium, and then needs a just tiny push to snap and stay closed:

https://i.imgur.com/mztp5QL.mp4

So it's a kind of hinge that will keep the lid in the open (90-ish degree) position as well as hold it closed. There's definitely a spring of some kind in there.

"Just look at the hinge in that box, dummy!" I hear you say. Well, I have several boxes like this and they're always covered by the strip of cloth in the back -- I'd have to rip them apart and I'd prefer not to do that.

These might be it but I have never seen them before, and can't really tell how to install them:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just buy a cheap ring box and tear it apart then?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Seems wasteful, I guess. Plus I'm then probably forced into using stock of the same thickness as the donor box vs. what I'd like to use (~1/4" wood).

Guess I'll have to try the weirdo Amazon ones I just posted or just go with regular hinges and a magnetic closure.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I talked my father in law into buying me a $200 Masterforce (Menards high end house brand) track saw, since it will make our shed door project a lot easier. Will hopefully come back with a trip report in a few days.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

SpartanIvy posted:

It's only worth it if they actually work. EGO batteries have a high failure rate and virtually non-existent support and supply.

The 7.5AH EGO battery is out of stock on both Lowes and Aces websites. Their two biggest distributors.

I think batteries in general have been in short supply due to the pandemic. A friend of mine works for a company that makes industrial UPS units and he said they were having a hard time getting batteries for customer scheduled customer replacement as of a few months ago. Not sure if there's still general supply issues or if batteries get sent to the biggest customers first or what that might make Ego short on supply. Or it could well be that the company just sucks

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Trabant posted:

Seems wasteful, I guess. Plus I'm then probably forced into using stock of the same thickness as the donor box vs. what I'd like to use (~1/4" wood).

Guess I'll have to try the weirdo Amazon ones I just posted or just go with regular hinges and a magnetic closure.

I have no direct knowledge but got curious and it looks like you’re meant to jam those hinges into a saw kerf: https://go.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000246AA.pdf

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

korora posted:

I have no direct knowledge but got curious and it looks like you’re meant to jam those hinges into a saw kerf: https://go.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000246AA.pdf

:aaaaa:

Time to order some and get to playin' around.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

korora posted:

Holy poo poo, that's it! Thank you, that is almost certainly the stupid thing.

The bad news is that the process is... well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vqYrj-37C8

I suppose you can instead build the back of the box from a couple of laminated strips and create a gap for the hinge/spring that way instead of creating a kerf with some super-thin blade. Still, that's way more fiddly than anything I was hoping to do.

I also found this on the Craft Inc. site:

which might be attached to the box and lid using screws instead?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

After years of “drop it off at the service center/store that sold it to you for replacement” from every other tool company, no way I’d put up with that. I dunno if I’d even have the patience to troubleshoot with them on the phone , it seems a little insulting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Squibbles posted:

I think batteries in general have been in short supply due to the pandemic. A friend of mine works for a company that makes industrial UPS units and he said they were having a hard time getting batteries for customer scheduled customer replacement as of a few months ago. Not sure if there's still general supply issues or if batteries get sent to the biggest customers first or what that might make Ego short on supply. Or it could well be that the company just sucks

Aren’t UPS still lead acid batteries? I wonder how much BOM overlap they have with Lithium.

Edit: this Ego news makes me sad I bought a select cut xp in the spring and I really like it. I wish Dewalt would just but out a good mower.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 28, 2022