Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Corny as it may be, but the Shrek bit made me tear up a bit.

Kid just loved Shrek. Jesus gently caress these little things make me realize how utterly ghoulish some of them are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

OneMoreTime posted:

Ian Hockley, one of the Sandy Hook parents.

This is hitting me insanely hard today.

He's able to keep it matter of fact mostly, but when his voice occasionally cracks I just tear up.

This is not a 'fun' day folks.

Also note that Norm said earlier today that Alex won't be appearing this week. They also scheduled a certain hearing of some kind for Thursday afternoon, I didn't really understand what it was - 'Charging conference' I think?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Play posted:

i have never seen a news program in my life, I'm too dumb to have an opinion about literally anything, and words coming out of people's mouths signify nothing to me. my vision is restricted to a 2 degree cone directly in front of me, as if I were in the darkest cave. i have never had a thought in my life, i refuse to react to external stimuli, and i mysteriously live in the zone between sleep and wakefulness

i am the perfect juror

When do you get your star?

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Yeah, props to y'all listening, when I saw it was a parent and the line of questioning was the same one as the others, I dipped out. I don't want to ugly cry today.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Norm said in his weird press conference that Alex was going to be the last witness he calls

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1574771907051798528?s=20&t=jad4RwIxfg_Z-CzeZ5zpUA

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

KitConstantine posted:

This is hitting me insanely hard today.

He's able to keep it matter of fact mostly, but when his voice occasionally cracks I just tear up.

This is not a 'fun' day folks.

Also note that Norm said earlier today that Alex won't be appearing this week. They also scheduled a certain hearing of some kind for Thursday afternoon, I didn't really understand what it was - 'Charging conference' I think?

None of the plaintiff's testimonies are "fun," really. Hell, most testimonies given over the past few weeks have been incredibly dark. Jones' own, while incredible to watch, is dark as gently caress once Mattei gets him to that moment.

The only testimony I can think of that's remotely "entertaining" (such as it is) is Paz's testimony, since it's a nonstop parade of plaintiffs' attorneys lining up factual data about Jones' enriching himself on their clients' suffering, with Paz unable to respond with anything other than "lol iunno."

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Even then, Paz was probably the least terrible person involved in this debacle. A hired gun to represent a company, but only giving vague enough yes or no or i dont knows to questions to intentionally gently caress with council. She -is- a lawyer after all, and she was taught under Pattis. I still don't know how that didn't show up as a conflict of interest.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Faust IX posted:

Even then, Paz was probably the least terrible person involved in this debacle. A hired gun to represent a company, but only giving vague enough yes or no or i dont knows to questions to intentionally gently caress with council. She -is- a lawyer after all, and she was taught under Pattis. I still don't know how that didn't show up as a conflict of interest.

It's not really a conflict of interest, because they could have had Alex Jones himself represent the company. She being someone the lawyer for the company knows isn't unusual. The fact that she's a sandbag used to weigh down the trial is the egregious part.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Apparently Pattis just raised an issue and now we're on a 15 minute recess? Not sure what that's about

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Rampant Dwickery posted:

None of the plaintiff's testimonies are "fun," really. Hell, most testimonies given over the past few weeks have been incredibly dark. Jones' own, while incredible to watch, is dark as gently caress once Mattei gets him to that moment.

This is ultimately the point, I think, as to why Jones acting the way he does is so gruesome.

We have all of this testimony and evidence that shows exactly what hell these parents have gone through, and then the poo poo that Alex added on top of that. What makes it even worse is that when Alex is on the stand, he makes it all about HIM and his own behaviour shows that he hasn't learned his lesson. At all. The man just will not stop.

Short of physically restraining him, the only way he can stop doing this is to take away the money that allows him to keep doing this.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

OneMoreTime posted:

Apparently Pattis just raised an issue and now we're on a 15 minute recess? Not sure what that's about

Apparently the plaintiffs had exhibits that they wanted to introduce today that they didn't show to Norm ahead of time, and apparently Norm doesn't want to default approve it all. So they're going through them all during this break

Resumes at 11:30 EST

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
That is precisely the point of this trial damages hearing, yeah. I suppose I should clarify that comment was meant as a trigger warning, as there are a lot of people tuning in for the FROGS GAY guy who aren't aware that FROGS GAY guy is a monstrous sack of poo poo who's actively making peoples' lives worse.

ETA: Is there any stream besides the L&C one? I know there was a Reuters one on Thursday, and I hate that the L&C one abetted the very pReSs CoNfErEnCeS that prompted the emergency recess on Friday.

Rampant Dwickery fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 27, 2022

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Rampant Dwickery posted:

That is precisely the point of this trial damages hearing, yeah. I suppose I should clarify that comment was meant as a trigger warning, as there are a lot of people tuning in for the FROGS GAY guy who aren't aware that FROGS GAY guy is a monstrous sack of poo poo who's actively making peoples' lives worse.

Absolutely. It's why whenever I talk to someone about it, I always explicitly mention all of this, because civil cases really do get muddled in public discourse to be about "the money" or whatever, like the McDonald's coffee suit.

It's one thing to have an opinion, false or otherwise. It's another thing entirely to propagate that opinion in such a way that it actively harms others, know that it's both wrong and harming people, and not stop.

Also, audio's been fixed.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Faust IX posted:

How would that be a conflict of interest? Paz wants Alex to win as his representative, Paz wants what Norm wants as his student, Norm wants Alex to win as his representative. People involved in a case aren't supposed to be unbiased.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Anyone who willingly associates with Alex Jones or takes money to defend him is a terrible person by default

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Pattis is up, apparently doesn't care to speak into the mic

Overall, Pattis seems a lot more gentle than he has towards the other Sandy Hook parents

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 27, 2022

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Eh, I suppose I didn't state that clearly. I meant more along the lines of Pattis and Paz working together on a previous case (not Alex Jones), and her leaving that firm to work on her own.

https://casetext.com/case/united-states-v-jones-1969

If I recall correctly, she was the understudy (i'm blanking on the word here), so it's not unlikely that Pattis would understand her thinking process and vice-versa.

Might just be me coming up with the wrong words to something much less interesting than I'm seeing it. People change after all, she's probably a better attorney than Norm is now, in my opinion.

Back on topic, I feel so bad for Ian up there on the stand. Having half a billion people looking at you, diving into misinformation and lies to attack his character and very real memories of the Sandy Hook tragedy.

Edit: god drat is Norm insufferable even in 2016. He really needs to get closer to the loving microphone here.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So is anything happening to Alex/Pattis for Friday’s spectacle?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

red19fire posted:

So is anything happening to Alex/Pattis for Friday’s spectacle?

Nothing for now. Motion from the plaintiff was dismissed without prejudice, so if something new and awful happens, expect them to renew their request.

They weren't asking for anything specific, just for the judge to use her judgment.

Pattis indicated that the passed along the request/admonition for Jones not to direct statements at the jury.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Okay, Pattis isn't paying attention at all today. "We're going to be playing an audio recording from a video deposition" isn't that hard to understand. Especially considering it was done over Zoom during COVID lockdown (unless i got that date wrong).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pyrtanis posted:

Yeah, props to y'all listening, when I saw it was a parent and the line of questioning was the same one as the others, I dipped out. I don't want to ugly cry today.

:same:

Just turned it on and a parent took the stand. I'm not gonna be able to handle that again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This trial is a great example of why I did not like being a lawyer. You're either representing someone who has been hurt or someone who calls them a liar. Who is actually right? Doesn't matter. You represent a side, and you have to fight for that side. It is your ethical obligation to do things that personally, you don't like - such as cross examining a domestic violence victim. It is very difficult to compartmentalize the horrors of the world away from your non-lawyer life. This is a big part of why lawyers have massive substance abuse problems.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Mr. Nice! posted:

This trial is a great example of why I did not like being a lawyer. You're either representing someone who has been hurt or someone who calls them a liar. Who is actually right? Doesn't matter. You represent a side, and you have to fight for that side. It is your ethical obligation to do things that personally, you don't like - such as cross examining a domestic violence victim. It is very difficult to compartmentalize the horrors of the world away from your non-lawyer life. This is a big part of why lawyers have massive substance abuse problems.

Yeah, I had a roommate that was pre-law and all of her "ethics in law" homework completely turned me off looking into law school. Just the worst freaky cases possible that you are suppose to figure out why the horrible people are right and the people getting poo poo on are wrong.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Don't civil law countries in Europe not really have this problem to that degree because of how their courts work?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Death to capital etc but this manager seems like a good guy

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Woolie Wool posted:

Don't civil law countries in Europe not really have this problem to that degree because of how their courts work?

Civil Law in general is less high drama. Usually no juries either and a lot less spectacle.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mr. Nice! posted:

TBH if the culture of lawyers changed such that people would just refuse to represent absolute pieces of poo poo, everyone, lawyers included, would be better off.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

TBH if the culture of lawyers changed such that people would just refuse to represent absolute pieces of poo poo, everyone, lawyers included, would be better off.

It's good that everyone has access to representation actually.

Pieces of poo poo with enough money would always be able to find representation anyway.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Every testimony has been difficult to listen to, but this story about the vitamins broke me.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Mr. Nice! posted:

This and so many other reasons are why I know I would never, ever be a lawyer and that I would drink myself to death if I were. I actually know several lawyers and like them as people but...good god gently caress that profession.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah her talking about having to live in a cul de sac because of paranoia just tipped me over the line. I'm done.

I was just barely holding out with the unending depression of it, the shift into also being a loving body-snatchers horror premise is beyond me.

I wish I still drank. gently caress.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I just don't see how you cross-examine this witness. I get you got to do your job as a defense lawyer but hooboy'

Edit: oh ok here comes the gun issue

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
My Son is is autistic and this testimony is hitting me super hard. Dylan sounds exactly like my Son :(

Also I wish Pattis would speak into the loving mic

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SalTheBard posted:

My Son is is autistic and this testimony is hitting me super hard. Dylan sounds exactly like my Son :(

Same, our youngest is autistic and I hope I never have to explain his older brother being gone to him :(

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Dang, David Foster Wallace worked for InfoWars?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Borscht posted:

Dang, David Foster Wallace worked for InfoWars?

GOD I knew he looked familiar.

Also LOL at the idea of having Alex Jones as your boss and dealing with his bullshit every day.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

SalTheBard posted:

I wish Pattis would speak into an oncoming train. In minecraft.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

OneMoreTime posted:

Every testimony has been difficult to listen to, but this story about the vitamins broke me.
the worst part is that alex jones just goes "well, i didn't kill those childrfen" and his audience just nods as if that's what he's being accused of.
the day after parents testify are the hardest to listen to on his show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

InsertPotPun posted:

the worst part is that alex jones just goes "well, i didn't kill those childrfen" and his audience just nods as if that's what he's being accused of.
the day after parents testify are the hardest to listen to on his show

don't listen to his show what's wrong with you