Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

"Why would Russia do this now, instead of midwinter?"

I'd say it's probably to show what they can do come midwinter.

A new pipeline between Norway and Poland opened today btw (Edit: The "Baltic pipe" in the pic), it runs through the Baltic a few kms away from todays blasts...
https://www.euronews.com/2022/09/27/baltic-pipe-norway-poland-gas-pipeline-opens-in-key-move-to-cut-dependency-on-russia

Caconym fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Referrendum results are in

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nick Soapdish posted:

I am sure the ballot was like:
Yes - I want to join Russia
No - I don't want to pass up this opportunity to join Russia

Imagine having to hand this ballot to an armed Nazi standing next to the ballot box and giving you the stinkeye in 1938 Austria:

No secret ballot. 99.7% of Austrians voted for the Anschluss, what a surprise!

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 27, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Imagine having to hand this ballot to an armed Nazi standing next to the ballot box and giving you the stinkeye in 1938 Austria:

No secret ballot. 99.7% of Austrians voted for the Anschluss, what a surprise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMZYFqpz1tM&t=16s

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

gay picnic defence posted:

You don’t think they’re getting Russian money to achieve exactly what you’ve just posted?

I don't think Mike Pompeo is, no.

that said I also think it's kind of pointless to speculate generally on who is and isn't getting paid to have bad opinions, but I certainly wouldn't disagree that that's 100% a message that russia signal boosts (and China takes advantage of in its own way, too)

Nick Soapdish posted:

poll workers were accompanied by a pair of heavily armed guys in every video of them that I saw

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 27, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

gay picnic defence posted:

You don’t think they’re getting Russian money to achieve exactly what you’ve just posted?

I think Mike Pompeo is a fascist piece of poo poo all on his own.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c
https://twitter.com/apmassaro3/status/1574528707997450240/photo/1

I don't get why Americans are getting so butt mad about defense spending/handing assets/weapons to Ukrainians.

It's a proud American tradition to outsource our killing power.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

No - but please give me one (1) free 5.45 boat tailed steel core copper jacketed bullet

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CabooseRvB posted:

I don't get why Americans are getting so butt mad about defense spending/handing assets/weapons to Ukrainians.

Not to mention JERBZ.

Every HARM given to Ukraine is 2-3 more AARGMs we need to replenish our stocks! Every Javelin needs to be replaced with 2-3 more so we have more to send to them as well as some to keep in reserve for us!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

CabooseRvB posted:

When was the last time that the US has armed someone fighting against a Christian country?
The only one I can think of was over 70 years ago, and also had a lot of right wingers insisting that the US switch sides.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://youtu.be/kasSSZlBFDs

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

When was the last time that the US has armed someone fighting against a Christian country?
The only one I can think of was over 70 years ago, and also had a lot of right wingers insisting that the US switch sides.

Iran Contra.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

12B is a bargain deal compared to whatever the gently caress the US was spending a loving year in a shithole like Afghanistan, 12B is couch cushion change.

Big difference is motivation, 12B dollars worth of arms and ammo, to a motivated populace, makes a hell of a lot more of a difference than trying to completely build the ANA from the ground up even though they really didn't give a poo poo.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 28, 2022

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

orange juche posted:

12B is a bargain deal compared to the US spending a trillion dollars a loving year in a shithole like Afghanistan, 12B is couch cushion change.

Not to mention we have a good idea of where it's going and it won't just up and disappear

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange juche posted:

12B is a bargain deal compared to the US spending a trillion dollars a loving year in a shithole like Afghanistan, 12B is couch cushion change.

Seriously, this is some of the best ROI spending ever. I mean first of all it’s morally correct unless you’re a poo poo eating goblin or Glenn Greenwald. The Taliban, while a security threat (varying degrees now), is nothing compared to what Russia has done to US and still is trying to do to us and the rest of the World, and that’s not even factoring in Ukraine. Also Taliban seems like it’s fine just staying in Afghanistan currently.

Hell you could 33.33 of those Ukraine arms packages, before it would equal the minor student debt relief Biden did.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Not to mention we have a good idea of where it's going and it won't just up and disappear

Yeah apparently the US spent "9B" a year in Afghanistan and yeah thats' a fuckin lie, the DOD was funneling cash into any hole that would accept it in hopes of shoring up the Afghan government and military, they just didn't give a poo poo.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange juche posted:

Yeah apparently the US spent "9B" a year in Afghanistan and yeah thats' a fuckin lie, the DOD was funneling cash into any hole that would accept it in hopes of shoring up the Afghan government and military, they just didn't give a poo poo.

It was a long con to trick Russia into trying it with Ukraine.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

orange juche posted:

12B is a bargain deal compared to whatever the gently caress the US was spending a loving year in a shithole like Afghanistan, 12B is couch cushion change.

Speaking of which, good lord did Biden get us out of Afghanistan at a critical time. Of course he didn't know Ukraine would happen, but that's a call that is looking real good in hindsight.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

Speaking of which, good lord did Biden get us out of Afghanistan at a critical time. Of course he didn't know Ukraine would happen, but that's a call that is looking real good in hindsight.

Oh absolutely, loving hell I don't think people would be as all-in on the Ukrainian assistance if the US were still in Afghanistan.

Biden also hit the right notes when he went all in on assistance for Ukraine calling the US the "Arsenal of Democracy" which, well, we're really good at giving guns to people who want to do things we want them to do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Uncle Enzo posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't know Biden planned all this and got out of Afghanistan because he was about to start the war in Ukraine, a thing the US is solely responsible for. :rolleyes:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Grand Fromage posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't know Biden planned all this and got out of Afghanistan because he was about to start the war in Ukraine, a thing the US is solely responsible for. :rolleyes:

Nonsense, it was NATO!! Oh wait

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

From the gibbis thread

selec posted:

Seems like this is a very obvious lead to follow up on figuring out who did it:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1490792461979078662?s=20&t=NWujlYsMDKjZCVhZUd_87A

If the mafia threatened my pipeline and then my pipeline blew up I’d have an immediate set of suspects in mind, so it seems pretty obvious to me.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Pine Cone Jones posted:

the single most unbelievable thing about this war so far is that there's still zero evidence of any significant american provided material ending up outside of Ukraine. For how much materiel has been handed over, it's incredible that tons of stuff hasn't been popping up all over the place.

that said, I would really, really not want to get caught by the SBU trying to smuggle anti-vehicle weapons out of Ukraine right now

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Plus when training Ukrainians high odds they are literate & have a steam account, very low odds they will open fire on a visiting general.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

My Spirit Otter posted:

From the gibbis thread

so far it's been just some Russian propagandists, louise mench and partisangirl, who apparently cleared up time from denying syria's use of chemical weapons against civilians, who are making noise that it was the US who blew up the pipeline. seems weird that russia had a whole media campaign ready to go on that one

anyways wake me up when someone with a shred of credibility suggests it was the US that blew it up.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Plus when training Ukrainians high odds they are literate & have a steam account, very low odds they will open fire on a visiting general.

Cs:go player count dropped drastically on the mobilization order. I dont know why you would assume russians dont play vidya

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VictualSquid posted:

Oh, buddy.

https://usafacts.org/articles/how-much-does-the-us-give-other-countries-in-military-aid/

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

CabooseRvB posted:

Because team butt mad are mad at all spending and the deficit and and and when it's the dems doing it. When it's Republicans... what spending? They're fiscal conservatives. No way they'd increase the deficit.

Show them the deficit vs who's in power and its all liberal propaganda.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Referendum results grimmer than anticipated

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

orange juche posted:

Oh absolutely, loving hell I don't think people would be as all-in on the Ukrainian assistance if the US were still in Afghanistan.

Biden also hit the right notes when he went all in on assistance for Ukraine calling the US the "Arsenal of Democracy" which, well, we're really good at giving guns to people who want to do things we want them to do.

One thing I read elsewhere that I felt made a really good point was this: The Arsenal of Democracy isn't just HIMARS and M777s and bullets and rockets. It's satellite photos, bulk shipping, the diplomatic corps, the grain in Iowa, the refined lubricants from the Gulf Coast, hundreds of people making phone calls and teleconferences to friendly Slavic nations sourcing Warsaw pact ammo and spare parts so that they show up where they're needed and when they're needed. If Ukraine makes a phone call tomorrow saying "Hey we could use some train engines." someone on our end can say "Listen buddy, we have yards full of them just sitting around. Pick a model."

We've got a cave full of cheese and millions of ton of grain just sitting there doing nothing. America is paranoid prepper land and we were ready for this.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

A.o.D. posted:

One thing I read elsewhere that I felt made a really good point was this: The Arsenal of Democracy isn't just HIMARS and M777s and bullets and rockets. It's satellite photos, bulk shipping, the diplomatic corps, the grain in Iowa, the refined lubricants from the Gulf Coast, hundreds of people making phone calls and teleconferences to friendly Slavic nations sourcing Warsaw pact ammo and spare parts so that they show up where they're needed and when they're needed. If Ukraine makes a phone call tomorrow saying "Hey we could use some train engines." someone on our end can say "Listen buddy, we have yards full of them just sitting around. Pick a model."

We've got a cave full of cheese and millions of ton of grain just sitting there doing nothing. America is paranoid prepper land and we were ready for this.

America's true superpower is its absolutely breathtaking industrial capacity married to its ability to direct the output of that capacity to anywhere on the globe in very short order. There has never been anything like it in the history of humanity.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Referendum results grimmer than anticipated

don't tell the ukrainians I said this, but almost all of these really roll off the tongue

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

From the gibbis thread

shame on an IGA posted:

amazing how every single pro russia twitter account had that clip of biden queued up and ready to go within an hour of this unforseeable event, such coincidence much wow

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I meant more getaloadathisguy. Coincidentally hes been defending his view fervently in the thread and its funny as gently caress.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah it's like if you have a convincing argument that can motivate the US government to support you, you can have access to just about anything your heart desires, hand delivered, in about 48-72 hours. There's never been anything like it in the history of humanity.

Also the cheese cave will never stop being funny.

M1A1/A2 tanks etc are a bit of a bigger ask, mainly due to logistical support tails on them, and the fact that Ukraine is doing pretty loving good with the platforms they have already; but if the Ukrainians *actually* wanted them, and not people in the US saying they wanted them, then they would be on train cars along with the poo poo needed to maintain them.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 28, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Jesus christ we actually have a contingency on what to do if every refinery and oil field on earth gets nuked, and the luxury to actually implement it. What the gently caress is Putin thinking?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

Jesus christ we actually have a contingency on what to do if every refinery and oil field on earth gets nuked, and the luxury to actually implement it. What the gently caress is Putin thinking?

Uhhh.......... I think you are mistaken. That would be nine thousand kinds of horrible.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

panic and chaos is technically a plan

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Uhhh.......... I think you are mistaken. That would be nine thousand kinds of horrible.

The Strategic Oil Reserve is a thing, and NO poo poo IT WOULD BE HORRIBLE What the hell are you trying to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

Yeah it's like if you have a convincing argument that can motivate the US government to support you, you can have access to just about anything your heart desires, hand delivered, in about 48-72 hours. There's never been anything like it in the history of humanity.

Also the cheese cave will never stop being funny.

M1A1/A2 tanks etc are a bit of a bigger ask, mainly due to logistical support tails on them, and the fact that Ukraine is doing pretty loving good with the platforms they have already; but if the Ukrainians *actually* wanted them, and not people in the US saying they wanted them, then they would be on train cars along with the poo poo needed to maintain them.

The "Leopards to Ukraine, M1s to the country that gave them the Leopards" kinda makes sense to me.