Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Let’s not talk about getting our pirated games working, especially indie games that just came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is there a good video player steam app, or something built into desktop mode? I don't have a great way to play :filez: on my tv, right now I use my rickety rear end laptop that can barely chug along, or get them onto a USB and run them through my Xbox, but that only works like 70% of the time I find
I keep this mostly docked so be a nice use for it, especially with bit torrent more or less built right in

E:my perfectly legitimate files that I own, of course

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 27, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VLC

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Is there a good video player steam app, or something built into desktop mode? I don't have a great way to play :filez: on my tv, right now I use my rickety rear end laptop that can barely chug along, or get them onto a USB and run them through my Xbox, but that only works like 70% of the time I find
I keep this mostly docked so be a nice use for it, especially with bit torrent more or less built right in

E:my perfectly legitimate files that I own, of course

Plex kicks rear end and is platform agnostic provided you can turn your desktop into a server.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

fadam posted:

Plex kicks rear end and is platform agnostic provided you can turn your desktop into a server.

That's the problem, my desktop is garbage so I need something where I can do A to Z on the deck itself

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'd go with VLC as well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I bought Okami HD yesterday and it plays great (well, aside from the 20 minutes of incredibly slow story text before you're allowed to touch the controls) except that the game only fills about 2/3 of the screen. It's inside a big black frame on-screen. Fiddling with resolution in-game didn't do anything. Anyone experienced something like this?
are you trying windowed or full-screen?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Yeah.... y'all should support indie pc game makers, if possible.

This is a great resource for freely available retro games that are archived on archive.org:
https://r-roms.github.io/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gay Retard posted:

This is a great resource for freely available retro games that are archived on archive.org:
https://r-roms.github.io/

Nice one!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lockback posted:

are you trying windowed or full-screen?

Commander Keene posted:

ProtonDB suggests trying to change it from windowed to full-screen.

welp, that worked. thanks.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
My Deck has a fairly unobtrusive but noticeable spring noise when I use the right trigger. I saw some people say it goes away after a week or so, but it's been two and it's still happening. I don't want to send it in for repairs, but I don't know if it's worth opening up the Deck and voiding warranty/breaking poo poo just for a small noise. Any thoughts?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

fadam posted:

Has anybody else tried to use plex on the deck? In desktop and game mode it will open but every time I click sign in, nothing happens.

E: couldn't fix but going through browser seems to work.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 27, 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Kodi is also pretty good, though i really only use it as a plex front end

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So with the new update actually letting us use the controls in desktop mode without wanting to chuck the deck out the window, what is some good software or even non-steam games people would recommend?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

evilmiera posted:

So with the new update actually letting us use the controls in desktop mode without wanting to chuck the deck out the window, what is some good software or even non-steam games people would recommend?

Wolfenstein Blade of Agony, Sonic Robo blast 2

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

evilmiera posted:

KDE Connect if you have an Android phone. As long as both are in the same network. It lets you sync clipboard, move files around, see battery status (both directions) and so on. It's pretty neat.

mpv + yt-dl/yt-dlp is great. It lets you open youtube links (and many other sites that embed video) directly in mpv.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

My Deck has a fairly unobtrusive but noticeable spring noise when I use the right trigger. I saw some people say it goes away after a week or so, but it's been two and it's still happening. I don't want to send it in for repairs, but I don't know if it's worth opening up the Deck and voiding warranty/breaking poo poo just for a small noise. Any thoughts?

I don't think opening it up voids the warranty. Though I'm not sure you'll be able to do anything if it's just the spring creaking.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why would opening the Deck void the warranty? In the US that doesn't even void the warranty even if there's a tamper-proof sticker saying it'll void the warranty.

But yeah unless the spring is obviously busted you're not going to be able to do anything about it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, according to that Getmydeck page, i'm at 99.64%. Is it reliably accurate?

I put my pre-order in on the 7th of September, does that sound about right for the rate they're getting through the backlog?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think at this point any percentage is gonna be a non-issue. They've blazed through a bunch of the orders in a short amount of time, and they don't seem to be slowing down.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

At the time of my order Sunday that website said I was at 90%. Today I'm at about 95%. If that thing isn't complete voodoo (I haven't bothered to read the methodology yet) it does seem like they've ramped up quite a bit very recently.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kin posted:

I put my pre-order in on the 7th of September, does that sound about right for the rate they're getting through the backlog?

You will almost certainly get your email on Thursday. They start going out in the morning, around 10am PST, I believe. They do 64 first then work their way up.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Mescal posted:

oddly, there's no canada in the dropdown menu. just us uk and eu

Use US. You may not really need to do it though considering they'll most likely be caught up by Thursday or next Monday (there were some on reddit who reserved early September and got their email this past Monday).

I reserved on August 9th and was able to order last Thursday, which kept the trend of going through about a month to a month and a half of orders per email rollout.

The problem for you, me, and other Canadians is that there's a delay due to the carrier. That tweet went out but I was still able to order a few hours later. I've seen a lot of people say its been taking about 10 days or so to ship - so you may get an email that your ready to order on Thursday, or it might take until next week because of the Canadian delay (based on how quickly Valve caught up recently, of course)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Skeematic posted:

Use US. You may not really need to do it though considering they'll most likely be caught up by Thursday or next Monday (there were some on reddit who reserved early September and got their email this past Monday).

I reserved on August 9th and was able to order last Thursday, which kept the trend of going through about a month to a month and a half of orders per email rollout.

The problem for you, me, and other Canadians is that there's a delay due to the carrier. That tweet went out but I was still able to order a few hours later. I've seen a lot of people say its been taking about 10 days or so to ship - so you may get an email that your ready to order on Thursday, or it might take until next week because of the Canadian delay (based on how quickly Valve caught up recently, of course)

Mine just shipped (Canada) about 7 days after ordering. They must be working through it pretty quick because I got an email about a delay yesterday then a shipping email today.

Super stoked!

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Kin posted:

I ordered mine 22nd August and got my email on Monday. You should get yours Thursday.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sleng Teng posted:

If that thing isn't complete voodoo (I haven't bothered to read the methodology yet) it does seem like they've ramped up quite a bit very recently.

The percentage is just (age of most recent order fulfilled in your queue) / (age of your order). It is reliant on people reporting accurately but the number of people submitting data means when errors have popped up they've been pretty obvious.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wolfenstein Blade of Agony, Sonic Robo blast 2

Having some trouble mapping stuff to the controls for some reason, like some of the buttons are missing

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Great guide on compressing roms into the most efficient file for your Steam Deck:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/3g933n/guide_reduce_the_size_of_your_ps2_gc_wii_x360_ds/

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I made it to Dragon Roost Island on the GameCube version of Wind Waker. One thing that was bugging me was that the Cube version has the horizontal axis inverted on the c-stick. A quick fix on Steam Deck, very pleased with that. But then I got the titular Wind Waker and realized that with the stick setting changed, left is right and right is left. I’m thinking I might go with the Wii U version for that and the other QOL fixes. The only thing giving me pause is that it would be a single screw experience. What’s the reality of playing WWHD on Steam Deck like? It was a blast on actual hardware but it doesn’t seem like a great single screen experience. I was never fond of 3/DS emulation solutions.

Perhaps a weird idea if you want to stick with the gamecube version: set up an action layer (maybe with one of the back buttons) and have it reverse the direction of the stick. So when you're using the conducting wand you can reverse the direction. But then you'll have to hold it or toggle it each time so maybe not worth it to you idk. I can give some details on how to add that if you'd like.

I played the gamecube version for a little, but the stuttering/slowdowns were bothering me so I gave up for now. The wii u version may be a smoother experience for all I know, haven't tried that yet.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Waltzing Along posted:

You will almost certainly get your email on Thursday. They start going out in the morning, around 10am PST, I believe. They do 64 first then work their way up.

Sweet, I'm in the UK so hopefully that doesn't result in a silly delivery window or anything like that.

I'm getting sick of playing creeper World 4 for the umpteenth time on my laptop in the living room.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

The Gunslinger posted:

Mine just shipped (Canada) about 7 days after ordering. They must be working through it pretty quick because I got an email about a delay yesterday then a shipping email today.

Super stoked!

Thats good to hear....the f5ing is tiresome and I'd like to sniff the vent!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This is the week of hell, thanks fedex

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there a way to check the order status in steam, or only through the steam website?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's a good option for a "dock" since the Valve one isn't out yet? Mostly want something that I can leave by the TV so I have HDMI set up and ready to go.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Woooo! Mine just shipped today!

I'm on the eastern coast of Canada, so it's not expected here until Monday, but still!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there a way to check the order status in steam, or only through the steam website?

Click your Name/Account Balance ---> Account Details ---> View purchase history, then on the Steam Deck Purchase line it will have a status update.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

What's a good option for a "dock" since the Valve one isn't out yet? Mostly want something that I can leave by the TV so I have HDMI set up and ready to go.

You can find any dongle on Amazon that does 4K @ 60hz tbh. They aren’t that expensive

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

You can find any dongle on Amazon that does 4K @ 60hz tbh. They aren’t that expensive

Cool, good to know. And of course, the one I already have (and use pretty exclusively as a USB hub and SD card input for my laptop) only does 30hz max...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Cool, good to know. And of course, the one I already have (and use pretty exclusively as a USB hub and SD card input for my laptop) only does 30hz max...

Yeah the one I have only does 30 but I don’t use it for gaming so I really CBA to get a better one.

As an aside the Apple usb c headphone adapter really does make the deck sound cleaner and a bit richer. It’s just a shame there is only one usb c port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Been huffing deck fumes for so long I forgot I already installed doom