Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MockingQuantum posted:

What's a good option for a "dock" since the Valve one isn't out yet?
I use the Anker 555 and it's pretty OK. A bit expensive but it goes on sale from time to time.

If you don't want to use your OEM power adapter with you'll need a second one--the Anker 713 (45w) or 715 (65w) are fine choices, whichever is cheaper.

If you happen to have a Genki Cover Dock that also works in a pinch. It can only do 1080p on a 4K set, and the Deck considers it as a slow charger, so I wouldn't go out of your way to purchase one, but if you already have one it's an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Eeyo posted:

Perhaps a weird idea if you want to stick with the gamecube version: set up an action layer (maybe with one of the back buttons) and have it reverse the direction of the stick. So when you're using the conducting wand you can reverse the direction. But then you'll have to hold it or toggle it each time so maybe not worth it to you idk. I can give some details on how to add that if you'd like.

I played the gamecube version for a little, but the stuttering/slowdowns were bothering me so I gave up for now. The wii u version may be a smoother experience for all I know, haven't tried that yet.

For what it’s worth, the studdering was worst when the game started. It’s been pretty smooth since. I’m even inside the Dragon Roost dungeon and the hazy heat effects aren’t affecting the frame rate.

I’m gonna try to figure out Wii U this weekend. It doesn’t seem to be as simple as running an iso and the copies I found on Archive aren’t in the right format for CEMU.

https://twitter.com/neohazard/status/1574937619095396352

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kin posted:

So, according to that Getmydeck page, i'm at 99.64%. Is it reliably accurate?

I put my pre-order in on the 7th of September, does that sound about right for the rate they're getting through the backlog?
IIRC orders from the beginning of September have been getting their emails, so it's probably accurate, but also they're busting these things out so fast nowadays that is you put in a pre-order now and also started trying to get a PS5 at the same time you'll probably see your Deck before the PS5, and Sony's had a year and a half head start.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m gonna try to figure out Wii U this weekend. It doesn’t seem to be as simple as running an iso and the copies I found on Archive aren’t in the right format for CEMU.
If you're downloading them in .app format then you need to convert them to something Cemu can read, yeah. If you're on Windows and reasonably familiar with the command line you can use CDecrypt to do the job.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Opopanax posted:

That's the problem, my desktop is garbage so I need something where I can do A to Z on the deck itself

It might not apply to your situation but a Shield TV is a very good Plex server (and client). I have a three bay NAS connected to my Shield TV and it handles anything I throw at it. You can also have it be both the server and the client, and it can just direct play pretty much anything. It would also be able to serve your Steam Deck perfectly fine.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I can second the Shield TV as a great Plex device but the cost (especially for the pro version, which is the only one most will recommend as the entry level version is pretty limited) is quite high if you'll just use it as a media box. I also use mine for Moonlight streaming although I guess the deck might take up that role once it gets here, but I do like being able to play games on the big TV on the rare occasions that I have exclusive use of it.

Then again this is the thread where we spend £350+ to have another way to ignore our Steam backlog so our perception of cost for tech toys is probably a bit skewed.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 28, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you happen to have a Genki Cover Dock that also works in a pinch. It can only do 1080p on a 4K set, and the Deck considers it as a slow charger, so I wouldn't go out of your way to purchase one, but if you already have one it's an option.

I actually prefer using the Genki dock to the other one I bought because it’s only 1080p so there’s never any issues running 60hz. Deck recognises it as a slow charger but it’s definitely charging the deck

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I got my two main games, Deep Rock Galactic and Snowrunner up-to-date on the Dreck. This was the first time trying DRG after the initial install where it didn't appear to sync my saves; I played one round and was disappointed. Even though I've played other FPSs (e.g. L4D2) on the Dreck, and with controllers (e.g. Doom 2016 on Switch/Xbox) this felt really awkward, even with gyro aiming. Then, I went back to playing it on a PC with KBM and it felt way more natural. Meanwhile Snowrunner, which I'd played before on the Dreck, looked and performed better than DRG, somehow. :shrug:

MockingQuantum posted:

What's a good option for a "dock" since the Valve one isn't out yet? Mostly want something that I can leave by the TV so I have HDMI set up and ready to go.

I think the 2nd-gen JSAUX one might be the best one overall, until their upcoming 3rd-gen one (with internal m.2 slot) is finally released.

Party Boat posted:

I can second the Shield TV as a great Plex device but the cost (especially for the pro version, which is the only one most will recommend as the entry level version is pretty limited) is quite high if you'll just use it as a media box. I also use mine for Moonlight streaming although I guess the deck might take up that role once it gets here, but I do like being able to play games on the big TV on the rare occasions that I have exclusive use of it.

Then again this is the thread where we spend £350+ to have another way to ignore our Steam backlog so our perception of cost for tech toys is probably a bit skewed.

By "using it as a media box" do you mean just as a media player, or as a Plex server? Because as the former, sure, the Shield Pro might be a little expensive even if it's the most full-featured device of its type. As a Plex server, however, which is what I thought everyone was talking about, I think it's more than worth it considering you'd probably spend at least as much on a full PC otherwise to be a server.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I bought the first gen Jsaux dock, it's fine but it's mostly a charging stand. I'd have bought the new version for actual pc use but steam link and anydeck seem to be doing fine for that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm probably going to grab a regular Anker hub until Valve actually get their dock out.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Atomizer posted:

By "using it as a media box" do you mean just as a media player, or as a Plex server? Because as the former, sure, the Shield Pro might be a little expensive even if it's the most full-featured device of its type. As a Plex server, however, which is what I thought everyone was talking about, I think it's more than worth it considering you'd probably spend at least as much on a full PC otherwise to be a server.

That's a good point, I just meant as a client.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'll ask again, though I think I asked on the Disc instead, but does anyone make a Dock for the Deck that props it up but also has 2 video out ports?

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Wow, the experience once you've paid and its shipped is pretty awful. Just a tracking website that never updates.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
My Steam Deck will arrive any moment now, within the hour if all goes well! :dance:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

saber45 posted:

Wow, the experience once you've paid and its shipped is pretty awful. Just a tracking website that never updates.

That's just FedEx.

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's just FedEx.

It's GLS in this case which is Dutch FedEx. I think they'll then hand it over to the worst rated courier in the UK to deliver it to me, which is nice.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Anyone in Europe have experience with the RMA process? I opened a ticket about the stuck pixel/dead subpixel in the center of my screen today, and I'm trying to steel myself for the bullshit that is about to come.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

saber45 posted:

It's GLS in this case which is Dutch FedEx. I think they'll then hand it over to the worst rated courier in the UK to deliver it to me, which is nice.

They hand it over to Parcelforce who are not Hermes thankfully.

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

njsykora posted:

They hand it over to Parcelforce who are not Hermes thankfully.

Parcelforce are on strike so they've started using Evri/Hermes to avoid delays. Now I get my deck stolen or delivered to my bin but they steal it on time!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

My local hermes/ evri delivery person considers on my front step in view of the street to be a "safe place" so delivery day will be fun for me lol

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Detective No. 27 posted:

The archive.org format will work. Did you get the "missing keys.text blah blah" error? If so, you need to update the text file in the cemu folder with the key of that particular game. After that it's a smooth process.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gay Retard posted:

Great guide on compressing roms into the most efficient file for your Steam Deck:
I should go back and dump my GC and Wii discs as GCZ/RVZ, but since the Deck supports sparse files on the SD card I just use the original scrubbed ISOs I dumped and they're pretty space efficient. They also have the advantage of working everywhere and surviving all the other now-defunct formats.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I actually prefer using the Genki dock to the other one I bought because it’s only 1080p so there’s never any issues running 60hz.
The Covert Dock itself should support 4K30. However a Deck software update a couple of months ago "fixed" the 4K30 issue by preferring 60 Hz resolutions.

My issue with 1080p on 4K is that it relies on panel scaling which is usually bilinear, and I like my 240p->720p->4K integer scaled retro games with crisp 9x9 pixel pixels (that's 81 pixels per pixel!).

But yeah, the Covert Dock does the exact same thing for the Deck as it does for the Switch and if you're OK with the latter why not.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Gay Retard posted:

Great guide on compressing roms into the most efficient file for your Steam Deck:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/3g933n/guide_reduce_the_size_of_your_ps2_gc_wii_x360_ds/

Thanks this is great info.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

saber45 posted:

Yeah. My last update on my package is from the 23rd, saying it's left Denmark. Yes there was a weekend in there, but four working days without updates to get from Denmark to Finland is kinda sorta really poo poo.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I should go back and dump my GC and Wii discs as GCZ/RVZ, but since the Deck supports sparse files on the SD card I just use the original scrubbed ISOs I dumped and they're pretty space efficient. They also have the advantage of working everywhere and surviving all the other now-defunct formats.

I don't know if it will work for wii disks etc, but for anyone struggling with img/bin/cues and whatever old disk formats out there 'PowerISO' on the Discovery Store will extract files and do conversions in desktop mode without having to copy things across pcs.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I use the Anker 555 and it's pretty OK. A bit expensive but it goes on sale from time to time.

I have the step down from the 555 and it's been great as a dock for the Deck and my work laptop. I honestly wish I had bought something sooner because I had been plugging in my work PC port by port before. Note that it only does 4k @ 30hz

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C9HZ5YT

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I honestly wonder why Valve doesn't use btrfs with zstd compression. It's a perfect use case for this kind of thing.

Some games (CK3, KSP, The Long Dark) get reduced to 50%, which means you get twice the effective read bandwidth. And since it's completely transparent to the application you get the benefits regardless of application support.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thinking about docks, if I get a 4k 30fps dock, could I run it at 1080p on my TV easily, or would I have to tell the deck what resolution to render at every time?

It doesn't seem like the deck would be able to drive many games at 4k. It can barely run its own interface at 60fps.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Chas McGill posted:

Thinking about docks, if I get a 4k 30fps dock, could I run it at 1080p on my TV easily, or would I have to tell the deck what resolution to render at every time?
The Deck doesn't support setting output resolution in game mode. Instead, it tries to run at the native resolution advertised by your display.

The issue for 4K televisions is that 4K60 requires HDMI 2.0, and many USB-C hubs are HDMI 1.4 only, which limits them to 4K30. Over a HDMI 1.4 connection, a 4K television will preferentially advertise 4K30 instead of 1080p60, which results in trash performance for many games.

There was a recent update to the Deck to prefer any 60+ Hz mode over those below 60 Hz. In practice, this means that if you have a HDMI 2.0 hub, the Deck will output at 4K60 on a 4K set, and if you have a HDMI 1.4 hub it will output 1080p60 now.

Chas McGill posted:

It doesn't seem like the deck would be able to drive many games at 4k. It can barely run its own interface at 60fps.
The UI renders at 4K, and yeah it's a little janky at that resolution. The default configuration of gamescope will render most games at 720p and then scale the output to 4K. So you're not really running games at 4K. You can set the scaling algorithm in the Performance overlay. The default is (bi)linear which is cheap but makes the output a bit blurry. For pixel games you probably want to set it to integer scaling. For 3D games you can try using FSR (1.0), which is one of those modern magic scalers that tries to emulate the look of a native 4K render but is much cheaper to perform--although not as cheap as linear/integer.

Alternatively in some modern games you can set gamescope to render at native (4K) and set an internal resolution much lower (1280x720 or less) with FSR 2.0 scaling. This probably costs about the same performance as the FSR overlay but with much better results.

Getting back to 1080p output--it's not ideal. The problem is that 720p to 4K is a 3x (integer) scale, but 720p to 1080p to 4K isn't. Your TV is probably applying a bilinear filter to 1080p content, so you're going to get a weird combo of scaling unless you set gamescope to render at "native" (1080p) and it's still problematic for pixel games. I mean, most people probably won't notice a difference and in that sense it's "fine". It's exactly what happens with a docked Switch. But there's no benefit to 1080p output when you can run at 4K60 with the Deck handling all the scaling itself.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm playing psp gitarooman

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So is the Deck meant to be able to truly rumble like a console controller, or are the haptics mainly meant for giving tiny bits of feedback like typing on a phone? Okami appears to be trying to rumble, but I can only barely tell it's happening at all.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Super No Vacancy posted:

I'm playing psp gitarooman

Heck yeah. I'd completely forgotten about Gitarooman.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Deck doesn't support setting output resolution in game mode. Instead, it tries to run at the native resolution advertised by your display.

The issue for 4K televisions is that 4K60 requires HDMI 2.0, and many USB-C hubs are HDMI 1.4 only, which limits them to 4K30. Over a HDMI 1.4 connection, a 4K television will preferentially advertise 4K30 instead of 1080p60, which results in trash performance for many games.

There was a recent update to the Deck to prefer any 60+ Hz mode over those below 60 Hz. In practice, this means that if you have a HDMI 2.0 hub, the Deck will output at 4K60 on a 4K set, and if you have a HDMI 1.4 hub it will output 1080p60 now.

The UI renders at 4K, and yeah it's a little janky at that resolution. The default configuration of gamescope will render most games at 720p and then scale the output to 4K. So you're not really running games at 4K. You can set the scaling algorithm in the Performance overlay. The default is (bi)linear which is cheap but makes the output a bit blurry. For pixel games you probably want to set it to integer scaling. For 3D games you can try using FSR (1.0), which is one of those modern magic scalers that tries to emulate the look of a native 4K render but is much cheaper to perform--although not as cheap as linear/integer.

Alternatively in some modern games you can set gamescope to render at native (4K) and set an internal resolution much lower (1280x720 or less) with FSR 2.0 scaling. This probably costs about the same performance as the FSR overlay but with much better results.

Getting back to 1080p output--it's not ideal. The problem is that 720p to 4K is a 3x (integer) scale, but 720p to 1080p to 4K isn't. Your TV is probably applying a bilinear filter to 1080p content, so you're going to get a weird combo of scaling unless you set gamescope to render at "native" (1080p) and it's still problematic for pixel games. I mean, most people probably won't notice a difference and in that sense it's "fine". It's exactly what happens with a docked Switch. But there's no benefit to 1080p output when you can run at 4K60 with the Deck handling all the scaling itself.
Interesting, thanks. I don't really mind if the UI is a little slow so long as the games are rendering at 720p automatically. I was worrying that they'd default to 4k and I'd have to set the resolution manually.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

I honestly wonder why Valve doesn't use btrfs with zstd compression. It's a perfect use case for this kind of thing.

It really is the perfect application of filesystem level compression. I've been happily surprised at compression levels on otherwise uncompressed binaries at zstd:2 with btrfs. The built-in fallback to uncompressed data will prevent wasting time on already compressed game assets too - and that check only has to happen once, at game install time.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I assume my deck is sent to a bunch of distribution centers close before getting on a truck for delivery. Just looking at google maps & the start of my expected delivery window however, it seems like a truck left from Montana and is making the almost 9 hour drive straight to my house.

Tweak fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 28, 2022

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/3g933n/guide_reduce_the_size_of_your_ps2_gc_wii_x360_ds/

I'm not sure if it does the same thing but Emudeck also has a tool it installs to compress roms/ISOs that's worth using IME.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

Cool, good to know. And of course, the one I already have (and use pretty exclusively as a USB hub and SD card input for my laptop) only does 30hz max...

https://www.jsaux.com/products/upgraded-docking-station-for-steam-deck

I really like this Dock, well worth the $50 for the convenience of having it propped on my desk. I'll probably get an Official Valve dock once it's released and move this one into the living room or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Antigravitas posted:

Some games (CK3, KSP, The Long Dark) get reduced to 50%, which means you get twice the effective read bandwidth. And since it's completely transparent to the application you get the benefits regardless of application support.

Is this a thing people can set up on their Decks or does Valve need to mess with poo poo to get this working?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sigher posted:

Is this a thing people can set up on their Decks or does Valve need to mess with poo poo to get this working?

There’s guides and setups online for it already. It’s a bit janky but once setup it works surprisingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

has anyone got GROUNDED 1.0 release to work? There are some guides with protontricks to install dotnet40 but it doesnt work for me.