Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Wait really? What bill?

https://neu.org.uk/advice/cold-weat...%2018%C2%BAC%20(64.4%C2%BAF).

Everybody's free (to die of hypothermia)

E: looks like that's just for England anyway, but I'm not hosed looking at the rest of the UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

xtothez posted:

Haha Royal Mail announced another 19 days of strikes including the peak Xmas shopping period.

Now this government is going to cancel Christmas too.

lol, looks like they are bribing agency staff to cross the picket line. Just got an email saying anyone who works less than 8 hours on Fri/Sat will get paid for 8 hours.
(Obviously I'm not going to)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of bootstraps:

https://twitter.com/Arborglyph/status/1574646747498160128

This is a good summary of why she rage quit twitter. Too many people were exposing Jack's lies. There's no doubt that she had good overall intentions, but she also lied a hell of a lot about her life to sell herself for profit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could you not clock in and immediately out again, pocket the money, and then buy everyone on the picket line sandwiches?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Has anyone made a level of Line Rider based on the £:$ exchange rate? Would be wild

E: or something like this

https://twitter.com/sehnaoui/status/1252079782025707520?t=7vaFOmo6CGht28-sS5ZrWQ&s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://neu.org.uk/advice/cold-weat...%2018%C2%BAC%20(64.4%C2%BAF).

Everybody's free (to die of hypothermia)

E: looks like that's just for England anyway, but I'm not hosed looking at the rest of the UK

In Scotland schools are legally required to close if the inside temperature goes below 17°C with the heating on.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

In Scotland schools are legally required to close if the inside temperature goes below 17°C with the heating on.

Actually yeah I looked a little further and it seems like it must be just England. Weird that the English don't love their children like in the other parts of the UK

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jedit posted:

Just turn off the heating then, easy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbh, it would be fine for people like me. I would be in negative equity but I'm not planning on moving so I would just ..keep paying my mortgage, which I can afford even if one of us gets made redundant. It really would suck for young people trying to get on to the property market or get a good job tho. No mortgage lending, no construction industry, no employment, and probably even more swingeing austerity measures, somehow.

E: I get the emotional appeal though, it just wouldn't work out that great in reality

Yes but...

All you say is true but the problem is we're in a housing bubble. And have been for what, 2 decades? And of the little I know about economics, one is that the longer bubbles go on the bigger they get. And the bigger they get the worse the impact when the pop comes. And all bubbles pop eventually.

2 decades of government policy has been about keeping the bubble going and I'm sure they can find a way to keep it going for a while more. And so home ownership has become a vital middle-class value, everyone and their granny is a BTL landlord, and the only "wealth" the overwhelming majority have is the illusionary value of their home.

At some point the morality of keeping the illusion going seems questionable, that it's just another can we're kicking into the future to be someone else's problem, like with climate catastrophe, burning through fossil fuels ASAP, and a bunch of other selfish short-term crap.

I'm not saying a housing bubble pop is good but it will be less bad than a housing bubble pop in another 20 years time

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

There used to be a law about minimum working temperatures in offices, shops and schools. But I don't know if it's turned into a 'code of practice' (hence ignorable) at some point.
Did a quick google and seems to be 'advice' now not law.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yikes, I assumed that UK schools had minimum legal temperatures like they do over here, but I just looked and it turns out Tories repealed that legislation in 2012. Very forward-thinking of them I must say.

Missed your post.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 28, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not saying a housing bubble pop is good but it will be less bad than a housing bubble pop in another 20 years time

The thing I would hope for is a huge influx in social housing built by the State, which will correct the fundamental issue underpinning this, and previous, property bubbles.

How you get to that point just leads right back into the usual electoralism vs revolution stuff, so idk. I definitely want rid of the status quo, it's inhumane and unsustainable, but the big crash would not be fun imo

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbh, it would be fine for people like me. I would be in negative equity but I'm not planning on moving so I would just ..keep paying my mortgage, which I can afford even if one of us gets made redundant. It really would suck for young people trying to get on to the property market or get a good job tho.

My plan was to pay the remainder of the mortgage off within five years, then drop to working 3-4 days a week before my daughter is too old to still want to hang out with dad.

This week has pretty much hosed that idea:

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
The housing bubble will come to an end, and it will come to end in one of two ways:

(1) a carefully managed unwinding, supported by unprecedented government intervention, unprecedented expansion of housing supply, and record levels of broad-based growth across the income/wealth distribution
(2) a pop/crash

Neither of the two main parties are making noises suggesting they are aiming for (1). So (2) is the most reasonable outcome to expect. If that’s the case, then sooner is better than later.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Actually yeah I looked a little further and it seems like it must be just England. Weird that the English don't love their children like in the other parts of the UK

Well given how Tories tend to "love children" maybe this is an improvement.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1575077191385493504

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Oh look. They’re back fighting like rats in a sack full of poo poo again

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1575074319826186243

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

The thing I would hope for is a huge influx in social housing built by the State, which will correct the fundamental issue underpinning this, and previous, property bubbles.

How you get to that point just leads right back into the usual electoralism vs revolution stuff, so idk. I definitely want rid of the status quo, it's inhumane and unsustainable, but the big crash would not be fun imo
Every time someone suggests it the comments are full of the most outraged Englishmen shouting about how single mothers are popping out kids to get free houses.

This despite the teen conception rate being the lowest ever

and the benefits not being there and the overall birth rate being below replacement

So the answer to

Failed Imagineer posted:

Weird that the English don't love their children
is probably that they're perpetually mad about other people's children that don't even exist.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, that would be the sensible thing to do, but anything that lowers house value is political poison because the papers will point out how it's destroying your pretend wealth. Which is a problem I don't know how you solve without state intervention and then we're back at the Revolution/electoralism debate again

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1575078802748645377

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good stuff https://twitter.com/Lucywwatson/status/1575077908351107072

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

an insider trader told me they are leaving the country because starmer has a secret plan to force men to wear bras (braziers) over their other clothes :ssh:

If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't count.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of bootstraps:

https://twitter.com/Arborglyph/status/1574646747498160128

This is a good summary of why she rage quit twitter. Too many people were exposing Jack's lies. There's no doubt that she had good overall intentions, but she also lied a hell of a lot about her life to sell herself for profit.

She said her dad is a dyed in the wool Marxist Leninist former soldier landlord royalist with an MBE who wears his full uniform and medals and saluted the TV for the Queen's Speech. Someone spotted her dad moaning about increased landlording costs on facebook recently :allears:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

On this one occasion I will hand it to him, this is perfect polite spite.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCtVMzPRy14

Real job. Real work.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

She said her dad is a dyed in the wool Marxist Leninist former soldier landlord royalist with an MBE who wears his full uniform and medals and saluted the TV for the Queen's Speech. Someone spotted her dad moaning about increased landlording costs on facebook recently :allears:
The dad.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Markets, unsurprisingly, are not buying what the BoE is trying to sell. Gilts spiked on the announcement but are now plummeting back to earth. Pound is cratering again. This is desperate stuff.

IMO, and I could be wrong, Truss will be told to fire Kwarteng and reverse the murder/suicide budget, or she's out by Christmas. Yes there are a decent number of frothing loon ideologue MPs, but by and large Tories will always do their utmost to retain power above all else, and I suspect most of them see that the current trajectory is towards complete wipeout.

Chinese Gordon fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 28, 2022

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

Yes but...

All you say is true but the problem is we're in a housing bubble. And have been for what, 2 decades? And of the little I know about economics, one is that the longer bubbles go on the bigger they get. And the bigger they get the worse the impact when the pop comes. And all bubbles pop eventually.

2 decades of government policy has been about keeping the bubble going and I'm sure they can find a way to keep it going for a while more. And so home ownership has become a vital middle-class value, everyone and their granny is a BTL landlord, and the only "wealth" the overwhelming majority have is the illusionary value of their home.

At some point the morality of keeping the illusion going seems questionable, that it's just another can we're kicking into the future to be someone else's problem, like with climate catastrophe, burning through fossil fuels ASAP, and a bunch of other selfish short-term crap.

I think this misses the mark by focusing on the wrong thing a bit.

The problem isn’t that we’re in a housing bubble, it’s that people not already on the housing ladder can’t afford houses. The bubble is the primary cause of that problem, but the crucial thing is that the bubble popping doesn’t actually do much to solve the problem. It destroys the wealth of lots of people (whether deserved or not), but doesn’t really make it easier for new buyers to get on the market—builders don’t want to build when the prices are way down, and owners don’t want to sell when they’re underwater.

The people who will actually be selling up will be the banks after repossessions and the investment firms who have bought purely as investment vehicles, but the vast majority of those properties are going to go to other investment firms gambling that the bubble will simply reinflate.

And it’s that last part that’s key I think. Without some major structural change there’s no reason to assume a popped housing bubble won’t just reinflate. Houses aren’t tulips or bitcoin, they’re good stores of value because they’re intrinsically valuable objects.

So the bubble popping is only good in the long run if it comes with some plan to fix the main pain point it causes, locking the young and the poor out of home ownership. A bubble that pops because a radical Labour government builds 5 million council houses is a good pop. A bubble that pops because of some vagaries of monetary policy and just reinflates in a few years is of little to no help for the pain it causes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Could you not clock in and immediately out again, pocket the money, and then buy everyone on the picket line sandwiches?

What do you think this is? The House of Lords?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I don’t remember the exact details, but hasn’t No11 essentially been an extension of No10 since Johnson’s tenure as PM (and consolidating the Prime Minister and Chancellor’s offices is what led to Javid’s first resignation and Sunak’s appointment)?

Can Truss even credibly pin all this on Kwarteng - won’t her fingerprints be all over it?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

and the benefits not being there and the overall birth rate being below replacement
There's a "They will not replace us" joke to be made here.

Anyway, being anti-natalist makes sense from a selfish perspective if you don't expect to live long enough for those kids to pay for your old age.

Eyeballing that, UK housing prices should half I think.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Reveilled posted:

I think this misses the mark by focusing on the wrong thing a bit.

The problem isn’t that we’re in a housing bubble, it’s that people not already on the housing ladder can’t afford houses. The bubble is the primary cause of that problem, but the crucial thing is that the bubble popping doesn’t actually do much to solve the problem. It destroys the wealth of lots of people (whether deserved or not), but doesn’t really make it easier for new buyers to get on the market—builders don’t want to build when the prices are way down, and owners don’t want to sell when they’re underwater.

The people who will actually be selling up will be the banks after repossessions and the investment firms who have bought purely as investment vehicles, but the vast majority of those properties are going to go to other investment firms gambling that the bubble will simply reinflate.

And it’s that last part that’s key I think. Without some major structural change there’s no reason to assume a popped housing bubble won’t just reinflate. Houses aren’t tulips or bitcoin, they’re good stores of value because they’re intrinsically valuable objects.

So the bubble popping is only good in the long run if it comes with some plan to fix the main pain point it causes, locking the young and the poor out of home ownership. A bubble that pops because a radical Labour government builds 5 million council houses is a good pop. A bubble that pops because of some vagaries of monetary policy and just reinflates in a few years is of little to no help for the pain it causes.

There is some possible here, in that cheap finance is what allows the bubble to inflate in the first place. If interest rates stay high over the next 5-10 years, the bubble won't reinflate because the loans to sustain such a high valuation are too expensive to be profitable.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Halisnacks posted:

I don’t remember the exact details, but hasn’t No11 essentially been an extension of No10 since Johnson’s tenure as PM (and consolidating the Prime Minister and Chancellor’s offices is what led to Javid’s first resignation and Sunak’s appointment)?

Can Truss even credibly pin all this on Kwarteng - won’t her fingerprints be all over it?

Oh everyone knows she was in full agreement and signed off on everything. In fact there were even reports she was against doing or saying anything in response to the crash, while Kwarteng at least pushed for a statement. It's well known she's completely incompetent and is/will be a total disaster as PM.

But... the Tories *really* don't want to have yet another leadership contest with Spaffer waiting in the wings to stage a glorious comeback. So IMO they'll take Kwarteng's replacement and scapegoating if it allows them to avoid that. Could be wrong and they do absolutely nothing, in which case get ready for proper Cool Zone time.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
fwiw the focus is on the UK because of some uniquely stupid stuff we decided to do, but the size of the meltdown is driven by the almost-as-large meltdown happening in everything that isn't USD

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1575062948938063872

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Reveilled posted:

This. I'd be very concerned about any kind of crash under the current government (and probably even a Starmer one) as it would just be used as an opportunity to push people further into serfdom. You're far more likely to see a repeal of tenancy & employment protections with more forced into slumlord living conditions, than see any kind of policy that fixes the root causes. It's all looking a bit grim :/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

peanut- posted:

fwiw the focus is on the UK because of some uniquely stupid stuff we decided to do, but the size of the meltdown is driven by the almost-as-large meltdown happening in everything that isn't USD

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1575062948938063872

Ahh, it's a good month to be getting married in the US :shepspends:

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Was anyone here really clued in on the precipice of the last global financial crisis? What would an equivalent “Lehman Brothers collapsing” moment look like? (And why would anything we’ve seen since Friday not be it?)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

xtothez posted:

This. I'd be very concerned about any kind of crash under the current government (and probably even a Starmer one) as it would just be used as an opportunity to push people further into serfdom. You're far more likely to see a repeal of tenancy & employment protections with more forced into slumlord living conditions, than see any kind of policy that fixes the root causes. It's all looking a bit grim :/

I'm imagining at some point there'll be a hard push for all those office buildings that aren't as widely used following companies shifting to home working that were eyed up for being converted into substandard tiny homes, or the refit of rapidly built student and equally undersized student accomodation (assuming that bubble ever bursts) as a way to funnel even more money to landlords from people in really lovely accomdoation, but announced as a "government initiative for affordable homes"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Halisnacks posted:

Was anyone here really clued in on the precipice of the last global financial crisis? What would an equivalent “Lehman Brothers collapsing” moment look like? (And why would anything we’ve seen since Friday not be it?)

Not saying I was totally clued in but as I was in my 40s and had just moved abroad after quitting my last full-time job, probably more clued in than most on here from an age perspective. :corsair: :boom:

Not sure the scales compare (always need to be careful with scaling on graphs) - on my lunchbreak so not got time to check it out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Anyway, being anti-natalist makes sense from a selfish perspective if you don't expect to live long enough for those kids to pay for your old age.
I'm not even sure this is antinatalist.

You can have legit concerns about the morality of creating humans without their concent and conclude "well it happens anyway so we must give them the best life we can", like how Ligotti became a socialist.

This is more that they drank the Thatcher kool aid and believe there's no such thing as societies and there's only individuals and families so there couldn't possibly be a return on investment to helping children.

Then acting surprised and indignant that people don't want to bring kids into an environment like that.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Halisnacks posted:

Honestly the fact that the BoE is currently buying gilts as fast as it can because we were about to see pension funds collapsing by the time the market closed suggests we are very much balanced on the precipice of a Lehman Bros moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Honestly the fact that the BoE is currently buying gilts as fast as it can because we were about to see pension funds collapsing by the time the market closed suggests we are very much balanced on the precipice of a Lehman Bros moment.

Yeah it's looking like some real historical potentiality right now