Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Looks like there's a Dairy Queen AND a Sonic there

Both in Monte Vista. Big migratory bird town. And amish/mennonite live out there.

There's another Sonic in Alamosa but it's the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s pretty amazing when you get somewhere dark and clear enough to see the whole spread. Just phenomenal. When I went to Hawaii’s big island and transversed the saddle road at 1am I couldn’t help but just stop on the side of the road and stare. It really is like the high quality night sky photos when you’re somewhere like that

the only thing I miss about the navy is the night sky in the middle of the ocean

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

God drat some of you are getting hosed on rent.

Gonna go hug the manager of the non-profit ran property I'm at since my rent only went up $50 this year and will only go up $50 next year.

i’m going on my third year in a for-profit property and my rent hasn’t gone up at all, should I hug my landlord?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They probably think you're dead. Keep it up.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Probably should have said beforehand, the valley is a weird loving place. Linda Moulton Howe (Ancient Aliens) got her big break in the 70s reporting animal mutilations out here. As such, there's a big UFO community vibe. Lots of people living in 50 year old trailers miles away from town. A lot of alternative religion types out in Crestone. There's an alligator preserve. The great sand dunes. The San Juans and Sangre de Cristos. Wetlands, farms, hot springs (one with clothing optional days), forests and a desert.

Land tends to be cheap here because of the climate, location, and how useless a lot of it is in the central part of the valley. You can get land here for less than $1k/acre in some parts, but for $2k/acre you get into decent area where water is less than 10 feet down right now.

Most of the people I've met here are fine. Small town neighborly vibe with a lot, but we have our fair share of meth and fentanyl people. The cold winters drive a lot of people away.

I drove through there a few years ago and wanted to stop at the UFO stuff but didn't have time. It's weird how long it takes to drive from one side of the valley to the other, even though you can see across the whole way.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
we need to normalize how long it takes to drive from one side of the valley to the other

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Look,maybe those people are ok with it, but I'm not.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
E-W/W-E (South Fork -Ft Garland) is about 90 minutes if you don't get stuck behind a camper/RV.

N-S I haven't done yet. Coming off Rt 50 to 285 south to the border is about 2 hours, but the valley extends to NM.

Rt 50 is loving amazing from Cañon City to Poncha Springs. One of the best drives here, follows the Arkansas river, just stunning views and apparently good fishing. If you have time to kill and are passing through Colorado, take Rt 50.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I took 149 through Creede and Lake City.

Lake City seems like it might have an inbreeding problem.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm trying to time when to drive up to Creede for leaf change. Probably next week or the week after. Then I'm going to Pagosa Springs the week following.

There's definitely some families out here that are too close. Also the amish.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i say swears online posted:

more expensive than they are currently or more expensive than rural areas

more expensive than they are

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

more expensive than they are

it's already 70% of my income

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

it should be 100% of your income

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's too much!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Homes should be cheap and your assets based on the value of your genes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it should be 100% of your income

hey buddy I’ve got something cool to show you just around the corner

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the new thing in leases is apparently requiring tenants to pay for new appliances and poo poo.

Since your refrigerator has a finite life, if you're the unlucky tenant who's occupying the unit when it breaks, gg, you just bought the landlord a new refrigerator. There was a refrigerator in the unit when you moved in, after all, even if it was five years outside of it's operational life.

lol

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

i’m going on my third year in a for-profit property and my rent hasn’t gone up at all, should I hug my landlord?

yes.

pay your rent on time, keep a clean home, be a good neighbor, and thank your lucky stars when it all pays off, as in your case.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mawarannahr posted:

i live in an apartment complex and the first time they raised my rent they sold my building to another company who forgot they raised my rent so while i ended up paying a lot (still low for the area, mind you) when i moved in, im now paying like 800 bucks under market it rocks

hoping they continue to ignore me but i just had to have my heat pump cleaned so theyll probably raise it at some point

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Willa Rogers posted:

yes.

pay your rent on time, keep a clean home, be a good neighbor, and thank your lucky stars when it all pays off, as in your case.

yep. and you should prostrate yourself before your landlord and offer gifts and sing praises

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

the new thing in leases is apparently requiring tenants to pay for new appliances and poo poo.

Since your refrigerator has a finite life, if you're the unlucky tenant who's occupying the unit when it breaks, gg, you just bought the landlord a new refrigerator. There was a refrigerator in the unit when you moved in, after all, even if it was five years outside of it's operational life.

SoCal has the innovation that unfurnished apartments often come without a fridge. So each moving day is just that much more complicated as you move refrigerators around and hope yours is the right size for the next place you'll be at. Also you have to buy one when you move to your first, which is always fun.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

yep. and you should prostrate yourself before your landlord and offer gifts and sing praises

lol i just remembered that hip new fad of landlord tipping

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

my landlords are incompetent buffoons, the neighbors are terrible, and the appliances are failing but aren’t getting fixed. however I also don’t have a job :shrug:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how else can you make sure you get good service from your landlord?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Lmao wasn’t that just made up by morons in NYC getting fleeced by their landlords

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I flat-out refuse to believe that that's a thing that normal people are doing, rather than a few dumbasses somewhere who think it does anything but tell their landlords that there's still some blood left in the stone, plus a bunch of pro-landlord rags trying to gaslight everybody else into it. There's just no loving way.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I've read about other cultures doing it (bribes), but I still can't believe it, even though I read it in article.

"Move-in key money gift ^___^" get the gently caress outta here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kreeblah posted:

I flat-out refuse to believe that that's a thing that normal people are doing, rather than a few dumbasses somewhere who think it does anything but tell their landlords that there's still some blood left in the stone, plus a bunch of pro-landlord rags trying to gaslight everybody else into it. There's just no loving way.

my brain tries to reject the knowledge like it's a magnet polarized the wrong way

just looking right into the camera going "no... no..."

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

The stories about cranking rent up on stable long term tenants just baffle me .. like maybe my perspective is skewed but if I had a stable tenant i would be terrified to raise rent at all for fear of them leaving

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i'm paying about half the market rate for a two bedroom ~900 sq ft apartment and have been here eight years now with them only raising the rent by $50 once. there's always a couple open units here and the place hasn't had real work done on it in over 30 years so i think that's the major factor.

on the one hand, it's great, but on the other the place is kind of a dump, but on the other if i were to buy the cheapest piece of poo poo 1100 sq ft sfh in my town my monthly housing cost would triple, so guess i'm renting!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm always scared to make maintenance requests because the landlord obviously uses them as excuses to raise the rent. A bunch of stuff rotted last year, so we had to ask for repairs, and then the landlord increased our rent more than she ever has before.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm always scared to make maintenance requests because the landlord obviously uses them as excuses to raise the rent. A bunch of stuff rotted last year, so we had to ask for repairs, and then the landlord increased our rent more than she ever has before.

keep breaking poo poo. is there a basement? outside faucet running through its walls? my favorite thing was to break that line while it was snowing and call up Mr Kim and be like “oooh no something is going on with the walls?? looks like there’s water behind it or something. good thing I’m paying you on time each month to sort this out :keke:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

fart simpson posted:

nah, you don't need to be obsequious; I've reported under-heating & no garbage collection (landlord didn't pay the trash bill for a month, lol) to the city & gotten landlords in trouble for that poo poo.

as far as repairs go, my experience has been the opposite of fitzy fitz's, bc at least at my current place they like it when you call in a repair that the engineer can handle rather than needing a plumber or w/e bc I let something go.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

The stories about cranking rent up on stable long term tenants just baffle me .. like maybe my perspective is skewed but if I had a stable tenant i would be terrified to raise rent at all for fear of them leaving

at my last place when the building was sold my rent went up 30 percent, so I moved. At my current place, my annual increases have been under 1 percent for the last four years.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

you can write off loses

the fact that you can write off loses on taxes is one of the premiere failures of the system. you are punished somewhat for failure as a rent-seeker, but rewarded dramatically.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I made a deal with my landlord that I'd maintain the landscaping in exchange for lower rent, and she agreed. A few months later when we renewed our lease she simply raised the rent back to where it'd been before. So now I'm cutting the lawn for free basically.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Spread wildflower seeds in the lawn and never touch it again

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have actually maintained it as a low-mow lawn with some wildflowers mixed in, but she still pitched a fit the one time she drove by. I actually wanted to do the landscaping myself. The part I'm annoyed with is the immediate rent increase.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

stop trying to defy the commands of those who own your property!