Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I would have probably at least boarded that window but what do I know

It's just wind and rain and the angry sea forcing itself upon the land, why worry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SchrodingersCat posted:

lol it's going to be stuck at 155 mph until landfall because the NHC hates Cat 5s.

I don't understand the political benefit behind underrating tornadoes and hurricanes.

they’re scientists and have set a standard for the categories. the “public” info is supposed to be “major hurricane” which means “get the gently caress out your poo poo is hosed” and starts at cat 3

the technical reason is that hurricane category is based on surface wind speed. while off shore hurricane hunters can sample surface wind speeds by dropping dropsondes. dropsondes are not released very close to land. the last reading from those was 135knots. right now the 155 knots data is from the Doppler radar in Tampa and is the wind speed at 10,000 ft. that isn’t what you categorize hurricanes based on though.

at this point the ground wind speed will probably have to be determined by damage assessment like with tornados unless there’s firm data from say a weather station that takes a direct hit.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

his livestream is down. just a spinning loading circle

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That happened with Hurricane Andrew. They believed it was a Category 4, but some years later they reassessed the storm with more data and determined that it did reach Cat 5 before landfall.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

mad.radhu posted:

the liberal media is lying about how strong it is. get back to work

He was so loving confident about it too. I didn’t say a word, too bad for him

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

NE eyewall is 192 mph holy gently caress

215 now

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Rynn posted:

He was so loving confident about it too. I didn’t say a word, too bad for him

When your normalcy bias is so strong that your brain just constantly feeds you misinformation saying that everything will be fine.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

his livestream is down. just a spinning loading circle

stream returned briefly. just black and the sound of waves. gone again

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

the problem with people evacuating from the path now is that there will probably be a huge traffic jam to get stuck in for the hurricane. evacuating to a local shelter on higher ground is probably a good idea though

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Crazypoops posted:

I don't think you can dog fight this hurricane Maverick

https://twitter.com/malkoff/status/1575147547689197571

sure doesn't seem like it!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

incredible

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/chandler_tv/status/1575150349203251201

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a p-3 lost an engine doing the same thing in a category 5 at a lower altitude back in the 80s

the extremely good story is here: https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/articles/hunting-hugo-part-1

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

palms & infrastructure fires, v. florida

https://twitter.com/TemporadaCiclon/status/1575146456704483330

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It got worse at that pier and more people went swimming

https://twitter.com/ZachCoveyTV/status/1575132828626477056

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i have a suspicion people just want to die

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
lmao that the tampa hurricane shield is still fully operational

prediction: "all of tampa will be underwater!"

reality: the bay is half empty, boats resting on mud

sounds like the landward winds hit at low tide so yeah once again tampa manages to completely avoid consequenses

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

One of these morons almost got slammed directly into the pier and then ended up like twenty feet from where they started. Awesome work. Good job.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Harik posted:

sounds like the landward winds hit at low tide so yeah once again tampa manages to completely avoid consequenses

Ah well. Nevertheless

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

Lol after enough drinks Zachs just going to be like gently caress it die I guess

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/ReedTimmerAccu/status/1575151219491979264

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Harik posted:

yeah all that water is going into 20 ft surge at fort Myers and port charlotte

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hugo was a cat 1 when it hit Charlotte.

I remember staying up all night in the basement listening to all the trees snapping like tooth picks.

Next morning it was like the world had changed. You couldn’t see the sun because there was so much dust in the air. Several huge trees came as close to hitting our house and still missing it as they could have.

Years later my mother would admit she was hoping one would because we’d just moved from Atlanta and she hated the house.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah all that water is going into 20 ft surge at fort Myers and port charlotte

All my surges gone

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Reed Timmer will die one day.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

PostNouveau posted:

only way to catch dece waves on the gulf coast. people would skip highschool whenever a hurricanes/tropical storms was coming so they could surf like the big boys on the west coast if only for a moment. probably pretty dumb to try it next to a pier though

Marzzle has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Sep 28, 2022

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Paradoxish posted:

People are really loving stupid and become hyperfocused on stuff like this, especially when everyone around them has the same focus. Can't panic about a cat 4 or all your bros will think you're a pussy. Same reason it's so loving hard to convince people that rain can be bad or that going out for a run in extreme heat is incredibly dumb.

People are going to end up in houses that are underwater because making a nuanced evaluation of risk is too hard.

I've been in everything up to a 3, and the most miserable and personally dangerous experience I had was a minimal category 1.

FlamingLiberal posted:

That happened with Hurricane Andrew. They believed it was a Category 4, but some years later they reassessed the storm with more data and determined that it did reach Cat 5 before landfall.

Same with Michael, though it was much faster.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Idk wtf you are looking at. Are you picking out the single highest velocity pixel that is more noise than anything? I'd read it as about 180 mph (beam height 8500').

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’ve only experienced a tropical storm personally. something you don’t hear about as much with these storms is how they “bring” their own climate with them. I was in Houston so it’s not like it wasn’t humid already but when the storm arrived it was like the air was suddenly super saturated with water and the temperature changed with the arrival of the rain bands. these storms are really wild, even the weak ones.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Floyd was another big one. That just wiped eastern North Carolina clean.

Also flooded all the open air vats of bright pink antibiotic enhanced hog piss and poo poo and spread it all over the low lands.

Spike in ten and twenty five year cancer rates? Couldn’t be me!

flloyd drowned new jersey too got a week off from school just for the rain

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
How are things looking for the coast just north of Tampa? My mother in law is riding it out because hurricanes aren’t real.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Did Jeffs stream die?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/RadarOmega/status/1575153335682101248

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

500excf type r posted:

Did Jeff die?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Harik posted:

me right before a tsunami: wow the tide is so low suddenly I should collect all these fish

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toebone posted:

How are things looking for the coast just north of Tampa? My mother in law is riding it out because hurricanes aren’t real.

just some of the outer rain bands, the storm is following the more southern predictions

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Toebone posted:

She'll probably be okay since it's hitting further south, no doubt reinforcing her belief that hurricanes do not, in fact, exist.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Tampa's Finding Out has been rescheduled, loving Around to continue as usual

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SirPablo posted:

Idk wtf you are looking at. Are you picking out the single highest velocity pixel that is more noise than anything? I'd read it as about 180 mph (beam height 8500').

jeff stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

If you're just grabbing the highest pixel you can find on a radar velocity product you're just pointing out things like rangefolding errors.