Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

In reality rather than making houses more affordable wont it smash anyone who bought at market rates in the last few years leaving them in negative equity? So the house prices will be more affordable but the economy will poo poo it guts out as loads of people default on debts and interest rates spiral, making mortgages harder to get.

Good news: House prices down 20%!

Bad news: minimum 50% deposit needed for a mortgage lol

I would assume that starmer or whoever will fob out a pile of cash to help the precious homeowners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

forkboy84 posted:

You can disagree with his world view, & I do, but Kwasi Kwarteng is an economic PhD from Cambridge, he knows full well what he's doing.

OP, the last thing to assume about a PhD economist is that she/he knows anything about the actual economy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kwasi Kwarteng’s PhD is in economic history, not economics, he focused on the political implications of recoinage in the 17th century, it gives him absolutely zero authority to act as if he knows anything about anything

Edit: and of course, his undergraduate is in classics

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Scientastic posted:

Kwasi Kwarteng’s PhD is in economic history, not economics, he focused on the political implications of recoinage in the 17th century, it gives him absolutely zero authority to act as if he knows anything about anything

Ah, so you're saying he's merely an average chancellor. Fair enough, but I still think they knew fine well that the consequences were going to be a market panic leading at the massive deficit rise & then followed by "oh well, I guess we have to do huge public spending cuts to restore market confidence". These people haven't exactly hidden their ideology, their fanatical devotion to the market.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
No, some people do actually believe their own nonsense. And trickle down economics still has its defenders, even after all these years.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
The markets aren’t stupid either - even if you think Kwarteng is doing this out of trying to sell off assets rather than deeply held beliefs, the market response is showing that people who will seek to make money out of situations think the plan is nonsense and not worth putting capital into the UK for.

So he’s an idiot either way and we’re all suffering because of it.

And just lol at the idea that an economics PhD wouldn’t be a true believer in a dubious economic model.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
“Hey guys I’m gonna try to loot more money now that everyone is about to be in the most desperate situation in decades and there’s already mass strikes and civil unrest, want to come over? And there’s now no pretence about who the money goes to just to put fuel on that fire. Btw I’m also probably about to cut the police further.”

Yeah what a surprise that nobody wants to keep capital in that.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Hobo posted:

And just lol at the idea that an economics PhD wouldn’t be a true believer in a dubious economic model.

Yeah economics, like any other thing that people study, is inherently political and is taught in a biased framing.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'd make an exception for maths but Statistics is right behind me giggling.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
HAHA house prices falling 20%?

I haven't even finished my house, I'll only finish it 80% and lose no money. Laughing all the way to the bank.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hobo posted:

“Hey guys I’m gonna try to loot more money now that everyone is about to be in the most desperate situation in decades and there’s already mass strikes and civil unrest, want to come over? And there’s now no pretence about who the money goes to just to put fuel on that fire. Btw I’m also probably about to cut the police further.”

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1575203918573080576

Sounds like things are going just great

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zero shots ring out in the Lizlerbunker.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quite consistent with the covid response honestly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hobo posted:

Definitely a thing I said. Because I am entirely unaware of Austrian economics & the Chicago School freaks & the horrifying damage they wrecked in Chile. :thunk:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1575209082234892288

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

what number is alan partridge in the running order?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Houses will be "more affordable" in that the purchase price is lower, but the interest rates will be so much higher that to get a mortgage, you'll have to be earning even more for the same house than before.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

This should be pretty funny because Truss clearly thinks these will be podunk nowhere journalists bowled over by getting to talk to the PM, when it's even odds that they're decent journalists frozen out of the london clique whose rear end-kissing she apparently considers insufficient.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

josh04 posted:

This should be pretty funny because Truss clearly thinks these will be podunk nowhere journalists bowled over by getting to talk to the PM, when it's even odds that they're decent journalists frozen out of the london clique whose rear end-kissing she apparently considers insufficient.

Over here in Look East the journos are infinitely better than the London freaks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao

https://twitter.com/da_dick/status/1575198392161951744
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCtVMzPRy14

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

She's tweeted..... about Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1575182604021956608

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

WhatEvil posted:

Houses will be "more affordable" in that the purchase price is lower, but the interest rates will be so much higher that to get a mortgage, you'll have to be earning even more for the same house than before.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
That's a brave use of 'fail' on the end there. I half read it as 'fall' and for a horrible moment thought she was going for the distraction and threatening to put boots into Russia. Operation Babushka Freedom.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
what if conservatives, but too much

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

forkboy84 posted:

Like I've been saying.

You can disagree with his world view, & I do, but Kwasi Kwarteng is an economic PhD from Cambridge, he knows full well what he's doing.

More like Olpainful

Economics is pseudoscience and having a PhD in it is like having a PhD in astrology. The man is unhinged and needs to be sectioned.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Economics has some value, some of the models can be helpful to understand some of the forces that impact markets and customers, but it cannot be emphasised enough that despite everyone saying he is, Kwasi Kwarteng actually is not an economist and does not have a PhD in economics.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Who are these journos she's talking about, and why haven't we seen them before?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kingturnip posted:

She said "best in the business". We've already seen them.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

kingturnip posted:

andrew neil and laura k in a series of wigs and glasses with novelty noses and mustaches

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1575209631949148160

what a random-rear end collection of places. or are these where the tories have marginals

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

0808 NORFOLK

I loving told you

she's local and probably had the wrong opinions on pedestrianisation

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tees is probably what you might call a marginal, boro south went tory in 2015 and went more tory over the following years losing redcar too, but has historically been quite heavily labour, still some holdouts in the town center, I think andy mcdonald is still in his seat, corbyn's shadow transport sec.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 28, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I haven't even finished my house, I'll only finish it 80% and lose no money. Laughing all the way to the bank.

Looking forward to the new I-shaped architecture

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

piano chimp posted:

Economics is pseudoscience and having a PhD in it is like having a PhD in astrology. The man is unhinged and needs to be sectioned.

Oh my god, I swear I reread my original post and the point I was making still seems easy to follow but apparently it isn't. I'm not arguing that we should listen to him because he's an economist, or that he's not a psycho driven by a demented ideology. Coz he blatantly is. That shouldn't need to be said in UKMT.

I'm saying that with his background Kwarteng knows what he's doing. This is bad. This is worse than him being a moron. He's also a moron like every free market fundamentalist, but this particular choice is ideology driven rather than an accident. He wants to crush the state & public expenditure & now he's given himself an excuse to do it. And conveniently his former hedge fund boss was able to make a killing in the process.

Weird & convenient coincidence I he just blundered into getting the result that lines up with his demented world view.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angepain posted:

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1575209631949148160

what a random-rear end collection of places. or are these where the tories have marginals
Taking bets this is where the freeports will be announced.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

0808 NORFOLK

I loving told you

she's local and probably had the wrong opinions on pedestrianisation

She probably feeds beefburgers to swans

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

That looks like a natural trumpet, among the flexiest instruments

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Taking bets this is where the freeports will be announced.

Putting a port in Nottingham and Stoke would be a very Truss move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Liz Truss actually visited my workplace a few months ago, I was on holiday but they kept it really hush hush because it was a bit of a shitshow unsurprisingly. NHS supplier, British manufacturing, and they couldn't even get a paragraph of good press about it. Bet she didn't even hide in one of our ample fridges.