Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

knox_harrington posted:

Is this your photo ? Where is it? Looks like rural Suffolk

It's from Jonny Smith's review, timestamped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQI_9dOL-l8&t=877s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

From the comments:

Zerin has some incredibly bad views, particularly on enormous cars. He posted up some photos of the Miata style in headrest speakers in that Escalade and all I could see was the absolutely awful leather stitching job with the shoddy pattern cutting and the busted-rear end plastic work on one of the ill-fitting speaker surrounds.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
[nevermind]

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 27, 2022

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

nitrogen posted:

What I mean by "easy to work on" is basically designed for human beings, not Japanese little people to be able to wrench on

I find cars to be easy to work on when they have a minimum of casual racism.

It's true about the inverse proportionality of "easy to work on" to "reliable" though. I love my El Camino. It's super easy to work on, which is good because it often needs to be worked on. But I flog my Mazda2 all over town, mercilessly abusing it, and yet it continues to yip about like a happy little puppy with little but basic maintenance.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Imagined posted:

Doesn't a car that's 'easy to work on' imply inefficiency in several directions, i.e. an engine bay way bigger than it needs to be, no complex or computerized emissions or fuel efficiency systems, etc?

My first car was an 87 Ram and it was dead easy to work on. A grown man could crawl into the engine bay and shut the hood without moving anything, easily. And it broke down all the time and got about 8 mpg. Meanwhile one of my current cars you have to remove the battery to change a headlight and yet it's never left me stranded anywhere and gets 30mpg.

I think most of the issue is the designed for easy assembly no other considerations.

Most modern cars start their pull engine instructions with place on lift, unbolt subframe, lift chassis off drive train. Sure in a pro shop this can be quick but when half the stuff you might need to fix is so buried it wants an engine out it makes everything hosed.

This hyper tight packaging doesn't make anything more reliable though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Hell yeah internet of poo poo is coming full force to the car industry. Having your car not work because it can't connect to a server is going to rule. (image in the first tweet)

https://twitter.com/BoziTatarevic/status/1574741035015626752?t=1QC8_NN8XgphtHBiv06eUA&s=19

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

All I want is a truck with a decent, easy to work on engine, and a minimum amount of computers, and a stereo I can upgrade with anything I want from crutchfield.

The closest I can find is anything 15 years old apparently

That new? tf was built in '07?

my 32 year old truck has one computer* in it. so far its one of the only things that has yet to break.
*I'm the one that built it, wrote the code, and put it there.

Trade one set of problems for another. but then again

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hell yeah internet of poo poo is coming full force to the car industry. Having your car not work because it can't connect to a server is going to rule. (image in the first tweet)

https://twitter.com/BoziTatarevic/status/1574741035015626752?t=1QC8_NN8XgphtHBiv06eUA&s=19

gently caress everything to do with this.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Olympic Mathlete posted:

it gets worse

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

“I want my car to work just like my computer!”
*forgets password*
“Piece of poo poo!”

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1574822770764046338

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fins posted:

it gets worse

lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fins posted:

it gets worse

As a Infosec person, this makes me laugh/cry

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Hey why can't I start my car? Oh, "Alps Alpine" went bankrupt after their CEO embezzled a bunch of money and they couldn't pay their AWS bill.

quote:

Alps Alpine is evolving into an Innovative T-shaped Company and aims to bring comfort and enrichment to society by continually creating new value.

wtf?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fins posted:

it gets worse

I'm laughing because this is just one piece of an incredibly lovely cake with added microtransactions at multiple levels (which you'll no doubt be able to pay for because that server is ALWAYS up)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

quote:

Alps Alpine is evolving into an Innovative T-shaped Company and aims to bring comfort and enrichment to society by continually creating new value.

wtf?

This makes me want to punch a Marketing person repeatedly.
I'ma start a company and make the mission statement "we make neat stuff." Seriously, someone do that and live up to it.

Why in the actual gently caress would you ever do that? What was the supposed end goal?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Darchangel posted:

Why in the actual gently caress would you ever do that? What was the supposed end goal?

They're obviously draining all of the fire from the gas tank.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

dphi posted:

Great success!!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/e6oZV33.mp4

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Have another fugly BMW. I'm loving the split headlights, an admission that the car is simply too large.

https://twitter.com/CNETCars/status/1574881886870052894?t=hqhDY1uEbwMuZVBERBS_hA&s=19

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Have another fugly BMW. I'm loving the split headlights, an admission that the car is simply too large.

https://twitter.com/CNETCars/status/1574881886870052894?t=hqhDY1uEbwMuZVBERBS_hA&s=19

Why do they keep making the grill bigger? Like who wants or likes that? :confused:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Finally saw a Hummer EV irl and it absolutely looks like poo poo and anyone buying one sucks for doing so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DarkSol posted:

Why do they keep making the grill bigger? Like who wants or likes that? :confused:

SUV owners broadly want their car to look mean and scary to intimidate everyone else on the road. Big flat armor-wall noses with squinty little angry eyes and sharp teeth. It's a well established pseudopsychology embraced by every auto company's marketing department. Trucks work the same way.

Also something about THE BRAND. Bigger = better!

Here's a nice BMW to soothe the burn.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dphi posted:

Ah, I hadn’t thought of that. I normally store fire in non-flaming formats.

Chris Knight posted:

Great success!!

Indeed. Looks like they got it all out.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

CNET is right. I hate it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

DarkSol posted:

According to BMW's advertising it's "Internet Influencers" and 20-something's that DEMAND ATTENTION PLEASE LOOK AT ME!

what I don't get is that XM GRILLLL is smaller than the iX grill (and the fugly M3/M4/4) so maybe they are backtracking on the mega double mega grilles now?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lol, 20-something’s can afford a car.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Keyser_Soze posted:

According to BMW's advertising it's "Internet Influencers" and 20-something's that DEMAND ATTENTION PLEASE LOOK AT ME!

what I don't get is that XM GRILLLL is smaller than the iX grill (and the fugly M3/M4/4) so maybe they are backtracking on the mega double mega grilles now?

I was driving out of my apartment's parking lot the other day and finally noticed the grill of a new Lexus. Somehow worse than that BMW's grill. Whomever said that it looked like the front of a old BSG Cylon's "face" was right. :stare:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Well if you go over to Reddit you can get about a billion of them screaming "you don't like the new BMW designs BECAUSE YOU CAN'T AFFORD THEM!!" over and over.

Probably bots, maybe influencers, trustafarian club dipshits or oligarch failkids, Roman Roy, who knows?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

How tf is I'm gonna drill in the gas tank not a let's go ahead and have the extinguisher right here moment.

I know it's because if you're that smart you don't poke the hole to begin with but wtf.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

That's a great way to get the bed off!

Twitter friend of mine sent me this and my jaw dropped.

https://twitter.com/fyvie2/status/1574926413479956480?s=20&t=lky7I3vCmu6Sf5VnT_WgcA

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The gently caress lame rear end cons has this nerd been going to? Every professional and semi-professional con I've been to has been a social event with other poo poo going on in order to justify the event.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Darchangel posted:

i mean, "internet influencers" can. this means people like kylie jenner, and kylie jenner wannabes funded by the bank of mom and dad.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

You can with Daddy's / boyfriend's money

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah nah C-Net, there's nothing awesome about that piece of poo poo full stop

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Keyser_Soze posted:

Well if you go over to Reddit you can get about a billion of them screaming "you don't like the new BMW designs BECAUSE YOU CAN'T AFFORD THEM!!" over and over.

Probably bots, maybe influencers, trustafarian club dipshits or oligarch failkids, Roman Roy, who knows?

The first post I saw on Reddit about the new IX was complaining that it only had 653hp.

Still if you really want to set them off slap an M badge on a non-M car, or worse add M coloured kidney slats.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Galler posted:

The gently caress lame rear end cons has this nerd been going to? Every professional and semi-professional con I've been to has been a social event with other poo poo going on in order to justify the event.

A 48 hour long dinner party sounds awful

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Still if you really want to set them off slap an M badge on a non-M car, or worse add M coloured kidney slats.

It isn't possible to buy a new BMW car without the M Sport badges here - it's standard even on the most basic 118i hatch.

The X models are apparently available in non-M Sport versions but you seldom see one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

I like Bentleys, and I can't afford them even more than I can't afford a BMW, so NYAH, Reddit!

Sagebrush posted:

i mean, "internet influencers" can. this means people like kylie jenner, and kylie jenner wannabes funded by the bank of mom and dad.

Yeah, but chasing that market is sort of futile. It can't be terribly large.

nitrogen posted:

That's a great way to get the bed off!

I feel like that was the goal, given the attachment point.

quote:

Twitter friend of mine sent me this and my jaw dropped.

https://twitter.com/fyvie2/status/1574926413479956480?s=20&t=lky7I3vCmu6Sf5VnT_WgcA

Sweet, Jesus. *Maybe* to roll it around the yard, but otherwise NOPE.

dissss posted:

It isn't possible to buy a new BMW car without the M Sport badges here - it's standard even on the most basic 118i hatch.

The X models are apparently available in non-M Sport versions but you seldom see one.

Something something brand dilution something.
In all seriousness, poo poo isn't special if anyone can buy one or one that looks like it. If they're all special, none of them are. Seems like BMW has forgotten that, and not the only one.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Time to be reminded once again that M-sport trim level/editions isn't a modern thing and BMW have been doing it for decades.

As for all our (dis and I live in the same country) models being M-sport, it's nothing to do with being special or anything, it's just no one orders stripper models, by the time you've optioned everything people want, oh look might as well just spec the M-sport edition as standard.

Same as not bothering selling a 5 series with cloth seats and wind up windows, poo poo's gunna sit on the lot.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Same as not bothering selling a 5 series with cloth seats and wind up windows, poo poo's gunna sit on the lot.

Cloth seats are currently a 15k option on a 911. They look awesome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
911 guys are built different though.