Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Did they ever explain on Voyager how the Doctor gained sentience? Or wait do all Holographic doctors have sentience? I remember watching the first episode and uh he acts like he has sentience from the very beginning its not some weird thing that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Did they ever explain on Voyager how the Doctor gained sentience? Or wait do all Holographic doctors have sentience? I remember watching the first episode and uh he acts like he has sentience from the very beginning its not some weird thing that happened.

If I remember correctly the EMH by default has sentience. But because Voyager’s was on for so long and so often, it started to develop a personality.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

They don't ever really grapple with the implications of strong AI walking about at all. I can't remember where I read it but maybe someone else remembers: that the one TNG spec script premise that was rejected out of hand was "Enterprise becomes sentient". Plenty of people look at the enterprise and look at data and don't see what the difference is.

WRT the doctor they just kind of talk about him adding various subroutines every so often and Kes even gives him a big inspirational speech about how he's changed and evolved but there's no road to damascus moment. I guess he just went from extraordinarily sophisticated chatbot to sentient being with emotions and dreams gradually?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gnome de plume posted:

it's weird that he had a mirror universe counterpart who was a robot

I don't know, I've always thought that one presented no problems.

Prime Universe: "I have ideas for how to program a self-aware guy named Vic, I'll do it in a hologram."
Mirror Universe: "I have ideas for how to program a self-aware guy named Vic, I'll do it in a robot."

But then, it always struck me as odd when characters would be wowed by Data's physical aspects, that he was breathing or had pores or whatever. That sort of thing should have been old hat, centuries ago; the actual triumph was Data's mind. (Now let's never ever mention Exo III, or Rayna, or Norman and the other Mudd androids.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

zoux posted:

WRT the doctor they just kind of talk about him adding various subroutines every so often and Kes even gives him a big inspirational speech about how he's changed and evolved but there's no road to damascus moment. I guess he just went from extraordinarily sophisticated chatbot to sentient being with emotions and dreams gradually?

Hey, from a certain point of view, you and I started as beings with emotions and dreams, and only gradually acquired the ability to impersonate a sophisticated chatbot. :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I find the Doctor interesting because he's a program that's ultimately not just satisfied with being a Doctor. He wants to sing opera and have a family. I dunno its a interesting character and I think they explore it pretty well in the series.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I find the Doctor interesting because he's a program that's ultimately not just satisfied with being a Doctor. He wants to sing opera and have a family. I dunno its a interesting character and I think they explore it pretty well in the series.

Yeah I was thinking about the difference between him and Data. Data’s story arc is about wanting to be human. The Doctor’s character development is about wanting to be a person. Data can go anywhere and wants to know why. The Doctor knows why but can’t go anywhere.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Doctor's also the only character on Voyager that has some sort of character arc from the beginning seasons to the final seasons.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

b'elanna definitely has an arc, it stumbled along sometimes (especially after seven joins), but there is one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Or there's conventions that artists have the exclusive right to their own art for creative reasons, irrespective of the economic system.

By this point Mickey Mouse must surely be public domain (for the Cerritos, I mean, not for us benighted readers)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Helps that Robert Picardo is giving a top ten main cast performance

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Phy posted:

By this point Mickey Mouse must surely be public domain (for the Cerritos, I mean, not for us benighted readers)

Mickey Mouse was destroyed during WWIII, along with all popular culture created after 1925.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Phy posted:

* Laughs in Roy Disney XVIII *

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Creating a sentient tool (which is how The Doctor was treated early on) sure is a moral grey area.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Creating a sentient tool (which is how The Doctor was treated early on) sure is a moral grey area.

That's why the next model looked and acted like Andy Dick, cause everyone felt bad for holoPicardo, but who cares about treating Andy Dick like poo poo?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

killer crane posted:

That's why the next model looked and acted like Andy Dick, cause everyone felt bad for holoPicardo, but who cares about treating Andy Dick like poo poo?

John Lovitz had the correct response to Andy Dick, which is to sock him right in his dumbfuck mouth so hard it knocks him clean off his feet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

and yet somehow you just keep posting

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

Public domain suggests property rights which only matter in a market economy! Boo! Hiss!

Even in the far off future, descendants of the family that claims a tenuous connection to Arthur Conan Doyle watch holo-recreation like hawks with dollar signs in their eyes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

When a hologram of Sherlock Holmes develops emotions, the Enterprise is ensnared in a copyright suit

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Professor Moriarty causes an interplanetary diplomatic incident when he tattoos the HD DVD decryption key on his forehead

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Mickey Mouse was destroyed during WWIII, along with all popular culture created after 1925.

I can dig it. Steppenwolf and the Beastie Boys are considered classical music, not because of their quality, but because they are among the very few cultural artifacts surviving from the 20th.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The voyager wrist flashlights are so stupid.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The voyager wrist flashlights are so stupid.

They’ve even got a dumb name!

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Hollismason posted:

I'm less interested in that and more interested in how Starfleet decided medical holograms should be used as miners.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

MikeJF posted:

I just had call to post this over in the other thread, but: don't worry, they fixed it!

Is that from Ryan North?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Phy posted:

Mariner: "Computer, gimme another public domain adversary capable of defeating Data!"

"Oh boy! Hello Mouseketeers!"

Boimler: *screams*

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Imagine being stalked through an apocalyptic cartoon landscape by Goofy, fleeing as his echoing guffaw approaches

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

V-Men posted:

Is that from Ryan North?

yeah, he does a really good job of writing in the characters voices

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

V-Men posted:

Is that from Ryan North?

Somehow yes, which is a massive coup for a Trek comic and makes me want to pick one up for the first time ever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just an FYI they are "super-sized" issues (45 pages) and are $7 a piece rather than the typical $4-5 There's only 2 or 3 out at the moment.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Imagine being stalked through an apocalyptic cartoon landscape by Goofy, fleeing as his echoing guffaw approaches

Hyuck, GORSH there is no escape, hyuck.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It'd be the rotting zombie Goofy from a hosed-up episode of the recent Mickey series. (The one where in another episode a still-living pinata watches in horror as kids feast on its delicious candy innards.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kinda interesting how the Doctor starts out as the show’s “learns what it is to be human” character but it shifts over to Seven when she joins the show.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Railing Kill posted:

...??? (I feel like I'm missing one or two)

Every single Mexican and Texan soldier and Luftwaffe and RAF airman on DS9. They didn't have to be, but it just made O'Brien and Bashir happy to make them like that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Payndz posted:

It'd be the rotting zombie Goofy from a hosed-up episode of the recent Mickey series. (The one where in another episode a still-living pinata watches in horror as kids feast on its delicious candy innards.)

Goddamn those new Mickey shorts are so good. It still breaks my brain that Mickey is voiced by Chris Diamantopoulos.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just caught the end of "Identity Crisis". Man, that was a hosed-up episode. It creeped me out big time.

If I had survived that, I'd be all, "gently caress the space poo poo. Take my rear end back home."

I did like how Geordie went all Blade Runner analyzing the away mission video.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Ok, so you can transfer power between the two drive systems. But the holodeck runs on a special kind of electricity which is incompatible with all other starfleet systems.

It's compatible with the transporter.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Goddamn those new Mickey shorts are so good. It still breaks my brain that Mickey is voiced by Chris Diamantopoulos.

I was so glad when my daughter found those. The first one I saw had Mickey serenading Minnie in a gondola and when he was shocked by something, a photograph of an explosion appeared behind his head. It's like the animators fused traditional Disney animation with late 90's/early 2000's Flash cartoons. It's pretty great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why did the Kes actress leave Voyager anyway, because later in life she went crazy didn't she

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They wanted to boost the ratings by adding tits and had to cut a cast member.