Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

One time I had a cucumber that was spoiled and I didn't notice and whatever mold that was on it destroyed my taste buds for about 2 hrs.

But also I like sweet pickles.

In conclusion, cucumbers are a land of contrasts.

Sweet pickles are of the devil. Pickles should be sour like baby Jesus intended when He made them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

All pickles have been blessed with God's Grace, even the onion, cabbage or lowly green bean

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i would walk barefoot over broken glass for my grandma's bread and butter pickles

my dad does a really good attempt at them but still not the same

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GoutPatrol posted:

mod note: poster is wrong

and if I didn't like the current thread title so much I would say so there

Overruled! *bangs gavel*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tibalt posted:

The interest rate hikes are going reduce buyers' ability to afford housing, I'm not arguing against that. I'm arguing that a fundamental change in the market has occurred and anyone expecting prices to drop back to pre-2019 levels or what prices would have been without the pandemic are going to be disappointed. It'll slow the trend, but interest rate hikes alone aren't going to reverse it. Either we collective accept high housing costs, or governments have to take proactive measures to deal with it.

On the latter, lol. Just reminded of that article about how China's going to collapse because they're building too many houses and it's making house prices plummet.

Landlords will literally let houses and apartments sit empty for decades rather than lower prices or rents.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On the latter, lol. Just reminded of that article about how China's going to collapse because they're building too many houses and it's making house prices plummet.

Landlords will literally let houses and apartments sit empty for decades rather than lower prices or rents.

I don't want to mass derail this since its China centric, but the China "ghost city" issue is way more complex than most of the superficial western reporting on it is. This poo poo started back in the mid-early 2000s and a ton of them are now fully occupied vibrant cities. They've definitely run into issues around construction firms and related industries lying on numbers or large areas stalling and loving a lot of people for various issues, but they were fundamentally created to prepare for growing needs and have been quite successful on that front when you view them on the scale of decades instead of years. Pudong for example was one of the early proclaimed "ghost cities" and now is a major financial hub with a population in the 6M range - but that took almost 20 years of development.

It is also a global phenomena in much of not the West as developing countries and populations need places to develop. At least those locations with a cohesive enough government to actually do poo poo. The issue isn't "governments", it is our and other neo-liberalized governments.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Indeed. Neoliberalism means that Westerners genuinely don't even know what infrastructure is anymore or that it can be built. They think it must be some perfidious Oriental trick or insane commie wastefulness.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Vacant housing is disproportionately in dying rust belt towns and rural areas where property values are low. The "proactive measures" to deal with housing costs are building more of it - waving a magic wand to eliminate landlords wouldn't fix it because the metro areas where people want to live still wouldn't have as many places to live as they do people who want to live there.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

James Garfield posted:

Vacant housing is disproportionately in dying rust belt towns and rural areas where property values are low. The "proactive measures" to deal with housing costs are building more of it - waving a magic wand to eliminate landlords wouldn't fix it because the metro areas where people want to live still wouldn't have as many places to live as they do people who want to live there.

San Francisco has 40,000 empty units.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/article/S-F-has-40-000-empty-homes-Would-taxing-them-16819901.php\

San Francisco counted 7,800 homeless in their last count.

https://sfgov.org/scorecards/safety-net/homeless-population

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

I'm not sure what your point is. If the San Francisco government eminent domained some of those and gave them to homeless people it would fix that problem, but it would not do anything to fix the housing shortage as there would still be many more people who want to live in San Francisco than there are places for them to live. The original post I responded to was about housing costs, not homelessness.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I got vacant lots on major streets in my neighborhood that some rich person bought a million years ago, waiting for the neighborhood to gentrify enough to develop the space.

And that's in Los Angeles.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

James Garfield posted:

I'm not sure what your point is. If the San Francisco government eminent domained some of those and gave them to homeless people it would fix that problem, but it would not do anything to fix the housing shortage as there would still be many more people who want to live in San Francisco than there are places for them to live. The original post I responded to was about housing costs, not homelessness.

My point is that empty housing is not limited to "dying rust belt towns" as you put it. Homelessness is tied pretty directly to housing costs and the fact that SF has 40,000 empty units shows that landlords are perfectly willing to let units sit empty to keep rents high. They could house every single homeless person in the city and still have more than 30,000 units available for rent. If there were empty unit taxes or other anti-landlord policies it would do a lot for cost of living in that city.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tibalt posted:

On a different note, the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco released a study attributing up to 60% of the increase in the cost of housing to remote work:

This has sparked a lot of articles with click bait-y titles and 'The Fed is lying, it's greedy landlords' hot takes on Twitter. Setting that aside, the evidence in the study does seem pretty strong - there's a strong correlation between the areas that had a larger share of remote work before the pandemic (indicating that the area has a remote-friendly industry already) and the increase in house prices after 2019. An important thing that I think a lot of the hot takes and articles are missing is that the Fed isn't arguing that we should return to the office to make home prices go down, or even implying it. Rather, the study indicates that remote work is going to persist and is going to shape the housing market for the foreseeable future.

My take is that while increasing rates are going to decrease the demand for homes, the realignment caused by Covid-19 is going to offset that and there's still going to be a permanent increase in demand. We're not going to get the housing crash that people are waiting for and we're might not even get the market correction you'd expect. Just add it as one more thing to the pile of 'This economy is weird and the old rules don't apply anymore,' along with the permanent contraction of the workforce keeping unemployment low and increased demands for goods and services slamming into supply chain issues.

Here's the thing: The people who moved because of work from home... what happened to their previous locations? They don't just disappear. Those homes should not have gone up in price because they don't meet the demand for work from home. And yet they have gone up anyway.

James Garfield posted:

And that's why we need a vacancy tax. Limit the window an investor can profit off a property by adding risk to long-term ownership of an empty home.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jaxyon posted:

I got vacant lots on major streets in my neighborhood that some rich person bought a million years ago, waiting for the neighborhood to gentrify enough to develop the space.

And that's in Los Angeles.

I have immediate family living in a very affluent town in western Massachusetts and it's the same story - there's one major landlord there sitting on a ton of idle real estate (both commercial and residential) because nobody's willing to pay that person's prices for it. Despite there being a massive shortage of affordable housing, like almost everywhere else.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My point is that empty housing is not limited to "dying rust belt towns" as you put it. Homelessness is tied pretty directly to housing costs and the fact that SF has 40,000 empty units shows that landlords are perfectly willing to let units sit empty to keep rents high. They could house every single homeless person in the city and still have more than 30,000 units available for rent. If there were empty unit taxes or other anti-landlord policies it would do a lot for cost of living in that city.

FYI, that 40k number is unoccupied units for a variety of reasons, not just “landlords are […] willing to let units sit empty”: https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/san-francisco-to-consider-taxing-owners-of-vacant-homes/

As far as specifics of that number, I did find this article: https://socketsite.com/archives/2022/02/there-are-not-40000-vacant-homes-in-san-francisco.html. I’ve never heard this website, but it seems to give the correct idea.

For vacancy tax impacts, there doesn’t seem to be much in the terms of studies. But one study of France I did find states:

quote:

Results suggest that the tax accounted for a 13% decrease in vacancy rates between 1997 and 2001. The impact is especially concentrated in long-term vacancy. Results also suggest that most of the vacant units were turned into primary residences.
So, it might be somewhat helpful, but probably wouldn’t make much of an impact? Regardless, a lot more needs to be done than just that for the housing crisis in SF.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 29, 2022

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

That’s ~10% of the total housing stock in SF, and using the argument of the above post for definition of vacancy, maybe the real number is really only like 3%. It’s a little unrealistic to expect 100% occupancy.

I don’t even think that the omniscient, omnipotent government entity run by philosopher-kings that exists only in the wildest dreams of left-wing ideologues runs at 100% efficiency.

There’s a pretty simple alternate explanation for housing problems in SF and other booming US metro areas: there is a lack of supply of housing units.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 29, 2022

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

The article estimates there are 8000 homes being purposefully held vacant for the purpose of turning a profit as prices increase. That is still more than the number of homeless. That is not a housing shortage.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm not opposed to a vacancy tax, and in an ideal world, to discourage real estate speculation, would be very much for increases on property tax rates. A property tax is one of the best, most progressive types of tax there is--it is a tax on wealth. Property tax increases are wildly unpopular among people who pay attention to local politics though, and are pretty much illegal in California.

By picking on the 3% vacancy rate however, you are missing the forest for the trees. It's pretty unreasonable to expect any system to run at 100% efficiency. Maybe even utopians don't expect 100% efficiency. The reason why housing prices skyrocket in booming metros is because housing supply doesn't meet demand.

Do you also get mad at newspaper classifieds/eBay/Craigslist postings too?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

The only acceptable vacancy tax should be one where you default ownership to the state/municipality if you do not sell due to attempted speculatory practices so we can solve a problem that has an obvious solution if not for rampant greed.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Huge taxes on properties registered to companies or properties that are not the owner's primary residence should do the trick.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

How high would the vacancy tax need to be in a place like SF to overcome tax breaks on business losses?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dubar posted:

The article estimates there are 8000 homes being purposefully held vacant for the purpose of turning a profit as prices increase. That is still more than the number of homeless. That is not a housing shortage.

A housing shortage isn't measured by the number of homeless people.

There is a massive housing shortage in SF and the actual vacancy rate is 3% (and about 2/3 of that vacancy rate are "technical vacancies" where a rental unit is vacant at the beginning of the month for repairs or moving out, but will be occupied by the next month). That means that only about 1% of rentals in SF are actually truly unoccupied for multiple months.

Even the article linked above talking about the homeless mentions that:

quote:

It's also interesting to note that the city's rental vacancy rate (housing available for rent) is only 3%, which reflects the tight rental market. San Francisco's rental vacancy rate is lower than the rate in other major metro areas

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Huge taxes on properties registered to companies or properties that are not the owner's primary residence should do the trick.

I don’t think this alone solves the problem. I understand that you and others have an allergy to supply and demand principles, but more housing units in desireable areas need to be built by private companies and/or the government to really solve the problem.

The reason why this isn’t done isn’t usually because of greedy billionaires or whatever—it’s usually due to the preferences of ‘normal’ homeowners/people who participate in local governments.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

silence_kit posted:

I don’t think this alone solves the problem. I understand that you and others have an allergy to supply and demand principles, but more housing units in desireable areas need to be built by private companies and/or the government to really solve the problem.

The reason why this isn’t done isn’t usually because of greedy billionaires or whatever—it’s usually due to the preferences of ‘normal’ homeowners/people who participate in local governments.

Obviously going ham on building everywhere would be ideal. At least in the SF area, it'd likely be easier to pass a bunch of insane taxes than it would be to build more. The NIMBYism is insane.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Obviously going ham on building everywhere would be ideal. At least in the SF area, it'd likely be easier to pass a bunch of insane taxes than it would be to build more. The NIMBYism is insane.

Are you sure about that? The only reason why they didn’t upzone the entire city to allow fourplexes was because Mayor Breed vetoed it. The city’s Board of Supervisors and Planning Commission all supported that plan. That seems like something that will be easily feasible to do in the future when they get a different mayor in office.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 29, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
vacancy rate does not mean that housing units are being held off the market in anticipation of further profits. housing units, especially rentals, are sometimes naturally vacant in between tenants. any housing unit currently being offered for sale or rent is vacant until it is occupied. assuming all vacant housing units are vacant due to speculation is the same as assuming all cars currently parked never get driven because gas is too expensive. separating vacancies due to speculation from vacancies due to currently being unoccupied is simply not something that can be discerned from the vacancy rate data as there is no statistical collection as to why a unit is currently vacant. ultimately, any proposals about how a vacancy tax is going to impact housing is an argument which has one foot in an imaginary number rating how wicked the speaker perceives the capitalist class to be, and this number is going to go up or down depending on how big you want it to be for the convenience of your argument

ultimately there's no one weird trick to avoid building more housing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There is absolutely no downside to loving over property speculators. Houses are for living in.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Are they empty or are they air bnbs that are listed as empty because there is no actual resident on the lease?
Edit: nm the socket article answered the question (32%, roughly)

Oracle fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 29, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of, getting rid of airbnb would go a long way to reducing vacancy

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

Speaking of, getting rid of airbnb would go a long way to reducing vacancy

In popular to visit cities sure

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Oracle posted:

In popular to visit cities sure

Desirable cities is where a major portion of the demand for housing exists, so you agree with OP.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

this is badly, badly, badly misunderstanding the current economic issue in china around housing

basically there are two issues.

first it is the conglomerates building housing that are in real trouble. they are overleveraged and cannot borrow money - but also can't afford to finish the current apartments they're building (and in many cases already sold to buyers who are already paying mortgages). evergrande is the biggest name here but there's plenty of others. this isn't about housing prices (remember: they already sold these) - it's about their ability to borrow money to complete the projects they already have. now, that is impacted in part by the future value of the properties that are on the drawing board or not sold already, but the fundamental problem is the capital structure. they borrowed way too much money, and they designed their capital structure on the ability to continue to borrow money at very low rates - and when the music stopped (because the Chinese government realized this was a dangerous debt bubble and moved to pop it) they are hosed in the same way any overleveraged company gets when it suddenly can't borrow.

in short: the issue isn't landlords, or property speculators. it's the companies building massive apartment building complexes that are in trouble.

second, there are a lot of chinese regional governments that support themselves via property sales - and a slowdown in property values fucks over those regional governments. this is more a chinese governmental structure issue about having proper funding for those regional governments. this was never going to work long-term and always was going to need to be fixed at some point.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Posted this in the Student Loan Forgiveness FAQ thread, but FYI:

The Biden administration is kicking off the student loan forgiveness process.

If you have sent the DOE your tax returns for 2020 or 2021 for any reason (income verification, IBR, etc.) or filled out a FAFSA form in 2020 or 2021, then it should be applied automatically in the coming weeks and you don't need to do anything.

If not, then the form to verify will be going live on the DOE site in "the coming days." The form will be available from October 2022 to December 2023.

Form will be one-page long and does not require any supporting documents.

(It is basically just a one-page thing you sign digitally swearing you really are eligible and promising not to intentionally try to defraud the government.)

quote:

“In October, the US Department of Education will launch a short online application for student debt relief. You won’t need to upload any supporting documents or use your FSA ID to submit your application,” the email said.

It continued, “Once you submit your application, we’ll review it, determine your eligibility for debt relief and work with your loan servicer(s) to process your relief. We’ll contact you if we need any additional information from you.”

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1575498579535310851

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

How do people in this thread feel about land value taxes? From what I've read, they are either the perfect tax system or libertarian nonsense. To me, taxing people speculating on vacant lots sounds pretty good, and it does seem like property taxes would disincentivize people from improving their properties, but I am far from a domain expert in urban tax structures.

I actually think that, as part of decommodifying housing, we should make the first $large_amount of people's primary residence tax-free, and then raise taxes on subsequent properties (or land use), and boost state funding to cities where this is going to cause a problem (or, just boost state funding to all cities in general; its wild to me that cities largely have to raise their own revenue). The thinking being that people's houses should not be treated as investments, and moving is hugely disruptive for most people, so we shouldn't tax houses in a way that can force people to move just because their house's value has gone up. (California's half-assed solution to this, prop 13, has caused a ton of problems, so those problems are also informing this solution.)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Posted this in the Student Loan Forgiveness FAQ thread, but FYI:

The Biden administration is kicking off the student loan forgiveness process.

If you have sent the DOE your tax returns for 2020 or 2021 for any reason (income verification, IBR, etc.) or filled out a FAFSA form in 2020 or 2021, then it should be applied automatically in the coming weeks and you don't need to do anything.

If not, then the form to verify will be going live on the DOE site in "the coming days." The form will be available from October 2022 to December 2023.

Form will be one-page long and does not require any supporting documents.

(It is basically just a one-page thing you sign digitally swearing you really are eligible and promising not to intentionally try to defraud the government.)

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1575498579535310851

otoh, this part stinks:

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1575529368302292992

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

There’s a paywall here. Am I correct in the impression that means if you were unlucky enough to have had your loans sold by the federal government to a private bank after taking them out through the government that you are no longer eligible? What’s the legal damage these loan servicers have to bring these suits that they’d win? Most importantly, how the gently caress did the administration not think of this before rolling out?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/29/politics/alito-supreme-court-kagan-roberts

Samuel Alito posted:

‘Questioning our integrity crosses an important line’

Get hosed, Alito.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Big Slammu posted:

There’s a paywall here. Am I correct in the impression that means if you were unlucky enough to have had your loans sold by the federal government to a private bank after taking them out through the government that you are no longer eligible? What’s the legal damage these loan servicers have to bring these suits that they’d win? Most importantly, how the gently caress did the administration not think of this before rolling out?

FFEL Loans are a certain type of loan from pre-2010 where the government just backed the loan that was issued by a private lender. Your loan would have been an FFEL from the start and doesn't become one later/get sold.

Post-Obamacare, they no longer exist.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Big Slammu posted:

Here's an NPR article as well, but, yes.

In a reversal, the Education Dept. is excluding millions from student loan relief

Bait and switching ~4 million prospective voters at the cusp of a midterm election which is already shaping up to be a disaster seems unwise to me, but I'm no big brain Democratic consultant or administration official.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i don't know if getting rid of landlords is what we need, but hell, i still fully support it on top of whatever else