Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I saw in the NPR article that 4 million borrowers hold these sorts of loans, but it doesn't say how much total they are. I wonder if the feds would be able to just absorb the cost of the loans to make them equivalently forgiven to the other fed loans and how many unnecessary, unwanted tanks and fighter planes (cash equivalent) it would take to do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

projecthalaxy posted:

I saw in the NPR article that 4 million borrowers hold these sorts of loans, but it doesn't say how much total they are. I wonder if the feds would be able to just absorb the cost of the loans to make them equivalently forgiven to the other fed loans and how many unnecessary, unwanted tanks and fighter planes (cash equivalent) it would take to do so?

The feds could do that, but congress would have to pass a law appropriating money for it.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Laterite posted:

Here's an NPR article as well, but, yes.

In a reversal, the Education Dept. is excluding millions from student loan relief

Bait and switching ~4 million prospective voters at the cusp of a midterm election which is already shaping up to be a disaster seems unwise to me, but I'm no big brain Democratic consultant or administration official.

An even bigger disaster would be any of the 6 state lawsuits succeeding in completely nullifying the EO.

Lets just hope that Biden gets a workaround for those FFEL loan holders who hadn’t consolidated before today and has less than $10K in student loans serviced by the feds

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 29, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The FFEL thing was always a huge up in the air question. I never thought they explicitly stated they'd be covered (but could be wrong on that). As a holder of FFEL loans I was always looking for guidance and basically everything I found said most wouldn't be. The barometer was "did your FFEL loan qualify for the COVID pause? No? Better loving consolidate now."

The huge issue here is not giving people a heads up to consolidate them. If it was like "we won't cover these, you have 1 month to begin the consolidation process so that we will cover it" then that'd be fine. But just saying "we aren't covering it and if you haven't already applied for consolidation you're SOL" is a huge own goal here.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

BonoMan posted:

The FFEL thing was always a huge up in the air question. I never thought they explicitly stated they'd be covered (but could be wrong on that). As a holder of FFEL loans I was always looking for guidance and basically everything I found said most wouldn't be. The barometer was "did your FFEL loan qualify for the COVID pause? No? Better loving consolidate now."

The huge issue here is not giving people a heads up to consolidate them. If it was like "we won't cover these, you have 1 month to begin the consolidation process so that we will cover it" then that'd be fine. But just saying "we aren't covering it and if you haven't already applied for consolidation you're SOL" is a huge own goal here.

According to that linked NPR article, they were giving borrowers a heads up. However, the way it was worded made it sound like they had another year+ to consolidate their loans :sigh:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kalit posted:

According to that linked NPR article, they were giving borrowers a heads up. However, the way it was worded made it sound like they had another year+ to consolidate their loans :sigh:

Were they? Because I certainly didn't get any heads up on it. I did apply for consolidation on Aug 25 (but it hasn't gone through yet) so maybe there was something in their system that flagged that? But I sure as poo poo got no heads from the StudentAid.gov nor MOHELA (which I would expect from them).

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Were they? Because I certainly didn't get any heads up on it. I did apply for consolidation on Aug 25 (but it hasn't gone through yet) so maybe there was something in their system that flagged that? But I sure as poo poo got no heads from the StudentAid.gov nor MOHELA (which I would expect from them).

Well if you’re talking about proactive contacting borrowers, I don’t know.

But if you look at that NPR article, it shows the DoE website’s guidance in screenshots going from something like “unsure about privately held loans, consolidate guarantees it” to “no luck if you didn’t consolidate before 9/29”*

*I’m on a phone and don’t want to try to retype the entire message verbatim. Look at the article for exact verbiage

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kalit posted:

An even bigger disaster would be any of the 6 state lawsuits succeeding in completely nullifying the EO.

Lets just hope that Biden gets a workaround for those FFEL loan holders who hadn’t consolidated before today and has less than $10K in student loans serviced by the feds

This is literally worse than doing nothing for those 4mil. If that is truly a valid concern why in the absolute gently caress did Biden not think about that before he came out with the loan forgiveness?? He certainly dithered about it long enough to forsee this wrinkle!

Like those 4 million people had just enough time to start making financial decisions based on the incoming forgiveness. Forget about the emotional bait and switch their quality of life is going to be impacted by this!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

This is literally worse than doing nothing for those 4mil. If that is truly a valid concern why in the absolute gently caress did Biden not think about that before he came out with the loan forgiveness?? He certainly dithered amor it long enough to forsee this wrinkle!

Preemptively folding really does bring into question if the long wait in a decision was really about making sure it was done the right way.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A big flaming stink posted:

This is literally worse than doing nothing for those 4mil. If that is truly a valid concern why in the absolute gently caress did Biden not think about that before he came out with the loan forgiveness?? He certainly dithered about it long enough to forsee this wrinkle!

Like those 4 million people had just enough time to start making financial decisions based on the incoming forgiveness. Forget about the emotional bait and switch their quality of life is going to be impacted by this!

FFEL loans were abolished in 2010 by Obamacare. Previous to 2010, if you got a FFEL loan, then it could be held by the DOE or issued by a private lender with private money and just guaranteed by the DOE.

Privately held FFEL loans were never eligible for forgiveness on their own. But, when they first announced the debt forgiveness, they had said that privately held FFEL loans could be consolidated into new federal loans and qualify for forgiveness. They never said when they had to be consolidated by and a lot of people thought it would be by at least the end of the year. But, the new guidance says you have to have started the consolidation process before today.

If your FFEL loan was eligible for the student loan pause, then it is still good for forgiveness. If it was never eligible and you didn't start the consolidation process by yesterday, then it is not.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Seems like Republican politicians are filing lawsuits using the FFEL thing as a basis, the banks are threatening to sue as well, and the administration would prefer not to have the entire student loan relief program put on hold by a judicial injunction right before an election. From the NPR article:

quote:

Multiple legal experts tell NPR the reversal in policy was likely made out of concern that the private banks that manage old FFEL loans could potentially file lawsuits to stop the debt relief, arguing that Biden's plan would cause them financial harm.

When FFEL borrowers consolidate their old loans into federal Direct Loans, these private banks essentially lose business. If these banks' financial health depends, at least in part, on the assumption that they would be holding and profiting from these debts over the long-term, then losing borrowers to Biden's debt relief plan could, possibly, constitute harm.

In fact, a new lawsuit filed Thursday by six state attorneys general, makes this very argument. One of the plaintiffs, Missouri, is home to MOHELA, which manages both federal Direct Loans and these old FFEL program loans.

"The consolidation of MOHELA's FFELP loans harms the entity by depriving it of an asset (the FFELP loans themselves) that it currently owns," says the complaint. "The consolidation of MOHELA's FFELP loans harms the entity by depriving it of the ongoing interest payments that those loans generate."

In response to the lawsuit, Persis Yu, of the Student Borrower Protection Center, says, "FFEL lenders have shown their true colors. Instead of working in the interest of student loan borrowers – their customers – these lenders are holding hostage relief to millions of borrowers in order to keep making a buck off of borrowers suffering."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kalit posted:

Well if you’re talking about proactive contacting borrowers, I don’t know.

But if you look at that NPR article, it shows the DoE website’s guidance in screenshots going from something like “unsure about privately held loans, consolidate guarantees it” to “no luck if you didn’t consolidate before 9/29”*

*I’m on a phone and don’t want to try to retype the entire message verbatim. Look at the article for exact verbiage

Yeah I thought you meant proactively contacting borrowers (I went and read the article) and that's definitely not the case.

The tricky thing is that most, if not all, FFEL borrowers used a loan servicer so you did all transactions through their site (MOHELA for me) so I think there's a large chance a lot of those folks never made it to StudentAid.gov. Certainly not to the point where they were checking it often for news. Pretty lovely.

I'm glad I went ahead and got the process going. Sheesh.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Laterite posted:

Here's an NPR article as well, but, yes.

In a reversal, the Education Dept. is excluding millions from student loan relief

Bait and switching ~4 million prospective voters at the cusp of a midterm election which is already shaping up to be a disaster seems unwise to me, but I'm no big brain Democratic consultant or administration official.

The Democrats are addicted to losing

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
What an incredible own goal.

Along with gas prices going back up, just amazing.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
The Republicans might sue and take it away! We'll just take it out now.

Being able to campign on "I gave ypu X and the Republicans took it away" is a concept that is totally alien to all democrats.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
the argument is that the private FFEL lenders could sue and get the entire student debt cancellation order voided

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

The Democrats are addicted to losing

Jaxyon posted:

Meatball posted:

The Republicans might sue and take it away! We'll just take it out now.

Being able to campign on "I gave ypu X and the Republicans took it away" is a concept that is totally alien to all democrats.

Why are y’all focused on optics over actual outcomes that will best help those who need it?

E: Basically what Main Paineframe/James Garfield said above this post

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 29, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kalit posted:

Why are y’all focused on optics over actual outcomes that will best help those who need it?

because with the attempts to change election officials and the current state of democracy in the US, the fall election is hugely important and may end up in a generational fascist takeover

the dems already are facing huge headwaters due to fundamentals like the economy and inflation and small things are likely to be decisive.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

James Garfield posted:

the argument is that the private FFEL lenders could sue and get the entire student debt cancellation order voided

Sure, but the state lawsuits that seek that outcome already were, and are now, happening regardless. So this is pulling the football away from the kicker when half the defense isn't even on the field.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jaxyon posted:

because with the attempts to change election officials and the current state of democracy in the US, the fall election is hugely important and may end up in a generational fascist takeover

the dems already are facing huge headwaters due to fundamentals like the economy and inflation and small things are likely to be decisive.

You also blamed dems for rising gas prices.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Solkanar512 posted:

Where did I do that?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jaxyon posted:

Where did I do that?

It's right there.

Jaxyon posted:

Why else are you grouping the two issues together with no further clarification?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kalit posted:

our long history of observing the modern democratic party immediately selling out constituents on the grounds it might offend a republican has made us skeptical of the nth time we hear them say "sorry, it's the best that we could do"

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

The way I interpreted their post, they're just observing that rising gas prices will be blamed on the democrats, which seems pretty likely to be a Thing, rather than them personally assigning the blame for the prices on the dems as you claim, which I don't really see.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kalit posted:

The people getting screwed over by this need help just as much.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

So if you want to focus on that and don't care about the actual outcome, what's better for optics: 1) a good chance that the $10k public student loan relief is stayed by the courts by November or 2) most everyone is still going to get the $10k public student loan relief with a small percentage that remains up in the air?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
hey remember the last dem proposal to give people money if they vote for them, those two thousand dollar checks that Would Go Out if Georgia delivered Biden a majority

i am not looking forward to the updated version of "you idiots, you clods, you uppity loving peasants, how dare you take us at our word"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

I don't think it's that weird, they hosed up the optics when one of their goals was not loving up the optics. Biden waited on student loans and crafted what was supposed to be a well designed policy that wouldn't be too extreme but would provide help and would do that by being able to easily pass through the system in a way that more extreme options kind trying to cancel all debt wouldn't. And now they're dropping parts of that policy. They waited for the optics of student loans before the midterms and now those optics are hurt. Optics have been a big part of this policy the entire time.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Mischievous Mink posted:

The way I interpreted their post, they're just observing that rising gas prices will be blamed on the democrats, which seems pretty likely to be a Thing, rather than them personally assigning the blame for the prices on the dems as you claim, which I don't really see.

That's not what an own goal is. You have to actively score against yourself for an own goal. That means it is your fault, there is no other interpretation.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
E: double posting is an own goal

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Solkanar512 posted:

It's right there.

Why else are you grouping the two issues together with no further clarification?

Because I was listing things that would be bad for Dems electoral chances in November?

I've talked about inflation too, and they didn't cause that either.

Kalit posted:

So if you want to focus on that and don't care about the actual outcome, what's better for optics: 1) a good chance that the $10k public student loan relief is stayed by the courts by November or 2) most everyone is still going to get the $10k public student loan relief with a small percentage that remains up in the air?

Both are very bad and would be very bad for democrats and a pretty serious own-goal as far as optics and messaging.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

That's not what an own goal is. You have to actively score against yourself for an own goal. That means it is your fault, there is no other interpretation.

taking credit for lowering gas prices followed immediately by gas prices going back up qualifies neatly, yes

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Both are very bad and would be very bad for democrats and a pretty serious own-goal as far as optics and messaging.

So..... I'm confused about what you think a good (or not bad) route would have been. Stated from the start that FFEL/Perkins loans weren't eligible, preventing those who had consolidated before today from qualifying? Not trying to fulfill the $10k student loan forgiveness campaign promise at all? Or a more risky forgiveness plan that would have probably gotten stayed by the courts before midterms? Or something else?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kalit posted:

So..... I'm confused about what you think a good (or not bad) route would have been. Stated from the start that FFEL/Perkins loans weren't eligible, preventing those who had consolidated before today from qualifying? Not trying to fulfill the $10k student loan forgiveness campaign promise at all? Or a more risky forgiveness plan that would have probably gotten stayed by the courts before midterms? Or something else?

Probably not heavily advertise a risky benefit that had a good chance of failing, right before the election, in multiple ways?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Probably not heavily advertise a risky benefit that had a good chance of failing, right before the election, in multiple ways?

Where did Biden heavily advertise that privately-held loans would be covered by this $10k forgiveness plan? Even articles published a few days ago specified that they are not eligible for forgiveness, such as https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/which-loans-qualify-student-loan-forgiveness-2022-9

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

They didn't say those loans were going to be forgiven, but they did say that you could consolidate them into Direct Loans to make them eligible for forgiveness. They never gave a date for when the cutoff would be.

The change today was that they announced that the cutoff was yesterday.

This was the previous FFEL guidance:

This is the new one:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kalit posted:

Where did Biden heavily advertise that privately-held loans would be covered by this $10k forgiveness plan? Even articles published a few days ago specified that they are not eligible for forgiveness, such as https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/which-loans-qualify-student-loan-forgiveness-2022-9

I mean the overall debt forgiveness.

This is all playing out very similarly to the "vote for us and get $2k....wait why did you expect $2k" situation.

It's a messaging failure to talk heavily on loan forgiveness and then say much later "oh btw a bunch that we thought might be forgiveable were not sorry"

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

I mean the overall debt forgiveness.

This is all playing out very similarly to the "vote for us and get $2k....wait why did you expect $2k" situation.

It's a messaging failure to talk heavily on loan forgiveness and then say much later "oh btw a bunch that we thought might be forgiveable were not sorry"

Take your optics with not caring about actual outcomes and gently caress off with them.

To clarify my frustration with your bullshit responses: if they went with the message being 100% for sure accurate, nothing would have been forgiven for fear of lawsuits. If they went with trying to be ~99% accurate, then everyone who had consolidated privately held/federally backed loans before today wouldn't have been helped. A balance has to be struck and I would rather people actually be helped than fear mongering of something, something,

Jaxyon posted:

the current state of democracy in the US, [...] generational fascist takeover

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kalit posted:

Take your optics with not caring about actual outcomes and gently caress off with them.

To clarify my frustration with your bullshit responses: if they went with the message being 100% for sure accurate, nothing would have been forgiven for fear of lawsuits. If they went with trying to be ~99% accurate, then everyone who had consolidated privately held/federally backed loans before today wouldn't have been helped. A balance has to be struck and I would rather people actually be helped than fear mongering of something, something,

Hey so is "Jaxyon doesn't care about actual outcomes" a thing I wrote, or is that a thing that you came up with in your head in order to get the dopamine going and feel some righteous anger at a simpler argument than what was written?

~~~~~~~

edit: To start a new subject:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1575561167476498432

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Laterite posted:

Sure, but the state lawsuits that seek that outcome already were, and are now, happening regardless. So this is pulling the football away from the kicker when half the defense isn't even on the field.

If the thing that the lawsuits are based on is no longer happening, then the lawsuits will be rejected by the courts as mooted and no longer an issue.