Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Google are killing Stadia on Jan 18 if anyone was using that

What a birthday present for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Got my deck

I want to sniff but I'm in a meeting :emo:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Got my deck

Getting that gaming high should be a
higher priority than your job, come on man.

nerox
May 20, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Got my deck

Pull out your deck in the meeting and just sniff the vent in front of everyone. Maintain eye contact with the speaker during this.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

got my email and ordered. canada, preordered 29th of last month

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1575525137809813505?s=20&t=4fICdXwIOkytVG4EzT3vYw

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Finally got standalone yuzu and cemu running, and running well. I think setting them up as alternate emulators in emulation station takes a bit of work, right? I wish I could just change the emudeck version's "shortcut" to just point at a different folder. Anyone know if there's a simple change I could make to do that?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

My steamdeck has been delivered

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

fit em all up in there posted:

My steamdeck has been delivered

How is vampire survivors

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

my expected delivery has switched to PENDING and my deck has now exited my state :(

(pretty sure it's on a train)

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I put in my reservation for the Deck last week, and I got my purchase email today! Really quick turn around

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I put in my reservation for the Deck last week, and I got my purchase email today! Really quick turn around

that's loving insane haha, I put my reservation in back in August 2021 and got my purchase email almost a year to the day later.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tweak posted:

my expected delivery has switched to PENDING and my deck has now exited my state :(

(pretty sure it's on a train)

The deck is pretty great for train journeys tbf.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My vent doesn't make a smell 🙄

Anyways, how big is the initial update? Kind of dumb I can't use the deck without an internet connection to start

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyways, how big is the initial update? Kind of dumb I can't use the deck without an internet connection to start

Depends how many times it fails to connect to the internet to do it. :v: Happened to me a couple times and had to reboot. It kept getting to 99% or whatever and hanging but I don't think it was actually connecting to my wifi at all.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Guess you got a unit that was returned. You should RMA to get one with smell.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Also got my email after two weeks exactly, in Canada

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone tried FSR for it yet? The game seemed to run at a nice 40fps when I played.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

evri have my deck

oh no

nerox
May 20, 2001

Antigravitas posted:

Guess you got a unit that was returned. You should RMA to get one with smell.

Let's look on the bright side, GreenBuckanneer may just have covid. Have you done a covid test?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently it only smells when it's been running not in sleep mode 🙄

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

your thinking was it should produce a smell all the time and also let you download your steam games without internet?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

your thinking was it should produce a smell all the time and also let you download your steam games without internet?

At least let me get into desktop mode without updating it, seems reasonable

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

at least let me smell the vent

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Call of Juarez Gunslinger is pretty fun, glad I'm able to get back into it

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is the wifi on this thing just bad? I’ve got 3 unifi APs on the same SSID in the house, but the deck keeps trying and failing to connect to the one way down in the basement.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Harlock posted:

Call of Juarez Gunslinger is pretty fun, glad I'm able to get back into it

It's one of the greatest FPS of all-time as far as I'm concerned.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

Is the wifi on this thing just bad? I’ve got 3 unifi APs on the same SSID in the house, but the deck keeps trying and failing to connect to the one way down in the basement.

yeah its bad, turning off wifi power management or something similar to that in dev mode seems to help though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I found an old Windows laptop and got Wii U working.

I love emulation but I’ve become less inclined to pirate emulate a game if there’s a currently legal accessible version out there (or if there’s a huge benefit to playing an older version), so looking through the Wii U list, I’m shocked at how small the library really was. So far the only things I’m up for putting on Steam Deck are the three Zelda games (60fps for BoTW, right?), Xenoblase Chronicles X, and …Devil’s Third.

I also got Prime Hack working last night and that’s amazing. Legitimately Nintendo quality work there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love emulation but I’ve become less inclined to pirate emulate a game if there’s a currently legal accessible version out there (or if there’s a huge benefit to playing an older version), so looking through the Wii U list, I’m shocked at how small the library really was. So far the only things I’m up for putting on Steam Deck are the three Zelda games (60fps for BoTW, right?), Xenoblase Chronicles X, and …Devil’s Third.

I also got Prime Hack working last night and that’s amazing. Legitimately Nintendo quality work there.

you won't get 60fps on BOTW, 40fps locked maybe but it'll look and feel way better than switch/wiiu
prime hack is insanely cool.
i have a wiiu but it's so loving slow that I really wanna just play the games I have for it on the deck

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Detective No. 27 posted:

New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3d world, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 are well worth playing.

Super Mario Maker, Monster Hunter 3U, Super Smash Bros, Splatoon were also pretty good, but have been improved upon since, so you're not missing out that much by playing sequels instead. MH3U in particular was a super simple but fantastic use of the pad for always available full inventory.

Not going to appreciate it on emulator, but Wii Fit U was really good too, and NintendoLand with 4/5 people was an absolute riot.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wonderful 101 is on the docket for me as well.

And Captain Toad

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm sure this information is useful to no one, but I was digging around the Gamescope source code trying to understand how vsync, frame limiting, and screen tearing all work on the Deck since it's a bit of a mystery. This is in part due to regular reports of input lag when using the frame limiter--not that I personally can tell the difference--and also claims that the frame limiter screws with emulators. So here's what I've figured out:

The Performance overlay enables the frame limiter in gamescope by setting the GAMESCOPE_FPS_LIMIT xprop (on the root window of xwayland display :0). For 60 Hz refresh, the possible values are 0 (off), 15, 30, or 60. The gamescope frame limiter used to be a fancy thing that would withhold buffers to minimize latency, but apparently xwayland caused problems with this and it got nuked. The new frame limiter does a simpler thing whereby it sends a (wayland) frame callback either every vblank (limiter set to either 0 or 60), or every other vblank (30), or every fourth (15). Note that the behavior of gamescope with regard to sending callbacks is the same whether the limiter is disabled or if it's set to the refresh rate (60). Also, this only works when games use vsync (a FIFO presentation mode in Vulkan, or a swap interval of 1 in OpenGL), which leads to:

When gamescope detects a change to the GAMESCOPE_FPS_LIMIT xprop, it writes out a value to a /tmp/gamescope-limiter.XXXXXXXXX file (set by the GAMESCOPE_LIMITER_FILE environment variable). The value is 0x00000000 if the frame limiter is disabled (GAMESCOPE_FPS_LIMIT=0) only, otherwise it is set to 0x00000001. Apparently, the Deck also ships with modified version of Mesa that effectively forces vsync when this value is 1, i.e., when the frame limiter is set at all even to the refresh rate, which makes sense since that's the only way this frame limiter implementation would work. As far as I can tell, the modified version of Mesa isn't open source? At least, I couldn't find the sources for it (not here or here). I'd assume this is an oversight? I mean, there's no reason gamescope has to be open-source either.

So, to summarize: frame limiter "off" and in-game vsync off results in an uncapped frame rate. Turning the frame limiter on forces in-game vsync. Now, if you enable vsync in game, it shouldn't matter if the frame limiter is off or set to the refresh rate (60), everything else should behave the same.

How does this effect input latency? In Vulkan, "vsync" means to use a FIFO presentation mode and there's a queue (swapchain) of render buffers used for this. I didn't look too deeply at this, but the RADV driver might require a minimum of four buffers which would easily explain the increased latency over running uncapped (mailbox presentation mode--grab the latest rendered frame before scanout). One thing I've seen is the claim that using in-game vsync results in lower input latency than using the 60 Hz frame limiter, but the behavior of gamescope doesn't support this--they should be identical. That said, if the game has an internal frame limiter, turning that on, vsync off, and Performance-overlay frame limiter off, should have lower input latency.

What about screen tearing? The other main reason for turning vsync on in games (in Windows I guess) is to avoid screen tearing. Right now, the way gamescope commits frames to the kernel they won't tear regardless of vsync/frame limiting/running uncapped, etc. Recently, support was added to gamescope for asynchronous flips which could result in screen tearing as a trade for low latency, but this requires setting a GAMESCOPE_ALLOW_TEARING xprop and hasn't even hit the stable/beta branches yet. I assume if Valve decides to enable support for this it will be a toggle on the Performance overlay.

So one other thing: I started looking into this after reading claims that the frame limiter causes issues with emulators, specifically Dolphin. Normally I run emulators with vsync off since they're going to be frame capped to the emulated GPU/PPU rate anyways, but I don't think the frame limiter even works on Dolphin unless you enable vsync in the emulator. Again, without the Mesa code I can't confirm, but I think the patch to force vsync is only applied to render surfaces in the "main" window of the game, and Dolphin uses a secondary window for this. If you turn vsync off in Dolphin, you'll see that the frame limiter doesn't do anyhting.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 30, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Good news, Deck Heads, Vampire Survivors officially comes out next month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07kmq5ULuOM

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Opopanax posted:

I vote we all get it

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Opopanax posted:

That looks fun. Has it been long in early access? Surely we'd have heard about it by now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

That looks fun. Has it been long in early access? Surely we'd have heard about it by now.

Yeah why hasn’t anyone been talking about this? It must not be that great

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My Steam Deck won’t pair with anything Bluetooth, most notably my AirPods which is a pain in the rear end considering I’m traveling.

Anyone have any luck? I don’t give a poo poo about latency of whatever. I just want it to succeed at pairing something.

Yes, Bluetooth is on in desktop mode and I’ve attempted pairing through that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm sure this information is useful to no one, but I was digging around the Gamescope source code trying to understand how vsync, frame limiting, and screen tearing all work on the Deck since it's a bit of a mystery. This is in part due to regular reports of input lag when using the frame limiter--not that I personally can tell the difference--and also claims that the frame limiter screws with emulators. So here's what I've figured out:

The Performance overlay enables the frame limiter in gamescope by setting the GAMESCOPE_FPS_LIMIT xprop (on the root window of xwayland display :0). For 60 Hz refresh, the possible values are 0 (off), 15, 30, or 60. The gamescope frame limiter used to be a fancy thing that would withhold buffers to minimize latency, but apparently xwayland caused problems with this and it got nuked. The new frame limiter does a simpler thing whereby it sends a (wayland) frame callback either every vblank (limiter set to either 0 or 60), or every other vblank (30), or every fourth (15). Note that the behavior of gamescope with regard to sending callbacks is the same whether the limiter is disabled or if it's set to the refresh rate (60). Also, this only works when games use vsync (a FIFO presentation mode in Vulkan, or a swap interval of 1 in OpenGL), which leads to:

When gamescope detects a change to the GAMESCOPE_FPS_LIMIT xprop, it writes out a value to a /tmp/gamescope-limiter.XXXXXXXXX file (set by the GAMESCOPE_LIMITER_FILE environment variable). The value is 0x00000000 if the frame limiter is disabled (GAMESCOPE_FPS_LIMIT=0) only, otherwise it is set to 0x00000001. Apparently, the Deck also ships with modified version of Mesa that effectively forces vsync when this value is 1, i.e., when the frame limiter is set at all even to the refresh rate, which makes sense since that's the only way this frame limiter implementation would work. As far as I can tell, the modified version of Mesa isn't open source? At least, I couldn't find the sources for it (not here or here). I'd assume this is an oversight? I mean, there's no reason gamescope has to be open-source either.

So, to summarize: frame limiter off" and in-game vsync off results in an uncapped frame rate. Turning the frame limiter on forces in-game vsync. Now, if you enable vsync in game, it shouldn't matter if the frame limiter is off or set to the refresh rate (60), everything else should behave the same.

How does this effect input latency? In Vulkan, "vsync" means to use a FIFO presentation mode and there's a queue (swapchain) of render buffers used for this. I didn't look too deeply at this, but the RADV driver might require a minimum of four buffers which would easily explain the increased latency over running uncapped (mailbox presentation mode--grab the latest rendered frame before scanout). One thing I've seen is the claim that using in-game vsync results in lower input latency than using the 60 Hz frame limiter, but the behavior of gamescope doesn't support this--they should be identical. That said, if the game has an internal frame limiter, turning that on, vsync off, and Performance-overlay frame limiter off, should have lower input latency.

What about screen tearing? The other main reason for turning vsync on in games (in Windows I guess) is to avoid screen tearing. Right now, the way gamescope commits frames to the kernel they won't tear regardless of vsync/frame limiting/running uncapped, etc. Recently, support was added to gamescope for asynchronous flips which could result in screen tearing as a trade for low latency, but this requires setting a GAMESCOPE_ALLOW_TEARING xprop and hasn't even hit the stable/beta branches yet. I assume if Valve decides to enable support for this it will be a toggle on the Performance overlay.

So one other thing: I started looking into this after reading claims that the frame limiter causes issues with emulators, specifically Dolphin. Normally I run emulators with vsync off since they're going to be frame capped to the emulated GPU/PPU rate anyways, but I don't think the frame limiter even works on Dolphin unless you enable vsync in the emulator. Again, without the Mesa code I can't confirm, but I think the patch to force vsync is only applied to render surfaces in the "main" window of the game, and Dolphin uses a secondary window for this. If you turn vsync off in Dolphin, you'll see that the frame limiter doesn't do anyhting.

i have no idea what this means. should i add it to op?