Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Always interesting to hear Sam Black's thoughts, learned a lot about playing UB control from his stream. For me every time I end up primary BW it's been as a creature-focused tempo deck with Heroic Charges and similar as primary wincon. Plenty of my control decks have both colors but they're always starting out as UB, UW or straight UBW. I haven't really felt blue being super cut, in fact the far more common thing for me is seeing aggressive W/B cards being passed around and tempting me in that direction. See my latest draft for example, where I grabbed some good U control cards in P1, but ended up pivoting to BW tempo because all the good B and W cards being passed around even though I could surely have done some kind of Esper control as well. This draft had P2P7 and P2P8 Geyser and P2P10 Frost Strider for example so U was definitely not cut. There was somewhat a lack of the supporting B and W control-cards though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

precision posted:

black having tons of removal is kinda Black's whole deal, so it doesn't bother me.

what tilts me like nobody's business is people who play discard. "you don't get to play with your toys" is a style of deck that, i am entirely certain, is only enjoyed by a certain sort of very unpleasant person

I had to read this, and now you do too.

Also, that unpleasant person is me. Because my next trick is to reanimate the stuff I just milled or made you discard to weaponize right back against you.

So not only do you not get to play with your deck, I am now also repeatedly punching you in the face with it.

Would you like to know what kind of sick twisted bastard plays these kinds of decks? Cheap-rear end gamers who want to make the most of what few dollars they can spend on the hobby, mostly. Doesn't matter if it's a Sheoldred, Ob Nixilis, Avabruck, Fables of the Mirror-Breakers, or Brutal Cathars, 1B pays for Pilfer, and that card is going in the bin. Mill means it never reaches your hand for things like paying costs or Madness effects to begin with.

edit: God, you would have hated me a few years back. My favorite turn 2 play was Scheming Symmetry -> Vicious Rumors, and then I'd just condition you into thinking yourself twice every time I played Scheming Symmetry thereafter.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 29, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Deck
12 Plains (SLD) 46
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
1 Swamp (SLD) 48
1 Mountain (SLD) 49
1 Sundown Pass (VOW) 266
1 Elspeth Resplendent (SNC) 11
4 Sanctuary Warden (SNC) 30
2 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
2 Serra Paragon (DMU) 32
4 Giada, Font of Hope (SNC) 14
3 The Restoration of Eiganjo (NEO) 34
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
3 Jetmir's Garden (SNC) 250
4 Spirited Companion (NEO) 38
4 Leyline Binding (DMU) 24
3 Archangel of Wrath (DMU) 3
4 Inspiring Overseer (SNC) 18
1 Xander's Lounge (SNC) 260
1 Ziatora's Proving Ground (SNC) 261
2 Raffine's Tower (SNC) 254
1 Shattered Sanctum (VOW) 264
1 Liesa, Forgotten Archangel (MID) 232

Standard Angels: still pretty solid apparently.

Losses were to monored aggro topdecking a Shivan Devastator the turn before I stabilized, and monoblue control that had more counterspells than I had spells. Midrange opponents felt rather unthreatening in comparison. Manabase is a bit of a mess because I'm neither smart nor made of wildcards, but the idea is to be able to kick Archangel of Wrath more or less reliably and have cheap Leylines, while still being cognizant that it's a mostly white deck.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 29, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lmfao, lost to a defender deck with no chaplain by getting milled out before my birds could do enough damage

2-3, sucked ultra poo poo lol, the mean racing towards me like a bullet

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 29, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #32

https://www.17lands.com/draft/943fc8c71be64d68b6de942ada00806f

This week I guess I'm having trouble putting A+B together. The last draft it was getting any Shield-Wall Sentinels to go with Chaplain, this time it's me picking two Micromancers early because of course I'd be able to grab at least a few one-drop spells right lol? I was hoping for at least one Vortex or even some Interferences but they didn't come, I ended up picking Shore Up earlier than I would just because of that. I guess I passed several Flowstone Infusions, but they were in the same packs as: Frostfist Strider, Destroy Evil, and Essence Scatter, and it felt more important to focus on power rather than synergy.

The problem is now the Micromancers are just Hill Giants? I should probably cut one but I need to make minimum playables lol. My desperation to get one-drop spells had my trying black but it was all Bone Splinters and I do not have enough creatures for that lol, I don't know what the path is here, no matter what I plug in here it will require filling with subpar cards because I can't kick them

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 29, 2022

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Cut a micromancer for the griffin IMO, that has at least evasion. Why is there a swamp?

Edit: Didn't see card numbers... maybe put in all the UW from the board and cut the wall to do some sort of aggro strategy? In that case I'd take out the UB duals but I'm just guessing here

elbkaida fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 29, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

MasterBuilder posted:

What was their argument? Was it that Sheoldred isn't as flashy/instantly game ending compared to the others?

Lack of realization that there are very few removal spells to Sheoldred in standard right now, and even if you run something - if it isn't in your hand already, you're almost certainly taking damage immediately. It's also a big enough body that just overwhelming it with a giant creature or damage based removal is difficult.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

It seemed like black was very open at the end of pack one. Why didn't you pivot into UB?

There was a soultender that wheeled p1p11 - that's usually a good sign that no one is interested in black.

At this point you have 1 red card and 1 green card. It's early enough in the draft, seems like seeing two cult conscripts, repossessions at the tail end of pack one means black is open.

Then you open black knight in pack 2, and are feeling like a brain genius for exploring black at the end of pack 1.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

Counterspells are way more obnoxious in my books anyway

Absolutely. Counterspells are half the reason I run Duress and Pilfer in almost every brawl deck they'll go in. Also I have a funner, calmer game experience when I know what's in the opponent's hand.

But I'm guilty of this too, was playing my second game with a new Slogurk brawl deck and it got into a stalemate where I was slowly making progress on board while locking out the opponent's Evelyn spells with a Skyturtle/Shigeki/Wash Away loop. Oppenent was rightfully "zzz" emoting me but I'm thinking "Dude, I know, I'm still figuring out how this deck closes things out." Might need a Spectral Adversary.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

precision posted:

black having tons of removal is kinda Black's whole deal, so it doesn't bother me.

what tilts me like nobody's business is people who play discard. "you don't get to play with your toys" is a style of deck that, i am entirely certain, is only enjoyed by a certain sort of very unpleasant person

I run a discard deck but I will open palm slam concede if I have to put up with a turn 1 Duress.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

me seizing: haha!!! gently caress Yes!!!

me seizeding: Well this sucks. What the gently caress

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

When I get too annoyed at discard I just play my Tamiyo, Collector of Tales historic brawl deck.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

odiv posted:

When I get too annoyed at discard I just play my Tamiyo, Collector of Tales historic brawl deck.

I played a really tight game against tamiyo as a liliana of the veil discard deck the other day because I wanted to see if I could get there with such an uphill battle

I did end up winning, because as it turns out if you have tergrid's artifact side out they can't do anything but lose life to its activated ability

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, that and Kroxa have been fun interactions.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

odiv posted:

flatluigi posted:

I played a really tight game against tamiyo as a liliana of the veil discard deck the other day because I wanted to see if I could get there with such an uphill battle

I did end up winning, because as it turns out if you have tergrid's artifact side out they can't do anything but lose life to its activated ability

I had opponent ult lilly of the veil while I had tamiyo out. They were not happy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gonna say that the red "womp womp" a card does when it blocks an opponent's ability is the most satisfying animation in the game

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Bugsy posted:

I had opponent ult lilly of the veil while I had tamiyo out. They were not happy.
They had so many turns leading up to that to figure it out!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Time to go back to Standard for a bit... get some reps with that Assemble deck :getin:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I need an addon that flashes a screen in my face when I play a Syncopate/Make Disappear that says HEY IDIOT, LLANOWAR LOAMSPEAKER IS A MANA SOURCE.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Horace Kinch posted:

I need an addon that flashes a screen in my face when I play a Syncopate/Make Disappear that says HEY IDIOT, LLANOWAR LOAMSPEAKER IS A MANA SOURCE.

if we're griping, my #1 misplay source is because flyers have a cool card effect where they float, and reachers have... a little icon :geno:

Reach needs some kind of loving visual cue, gently caress

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sounds like some of yall need the Are you sure??? prompt every time you take a game action.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

odiv posted:

They had so many turns leading up to that to figure it out!

IIRC I think I topdecked tamiyo while lilliana was on 6. They went right the main phase and hit the ultimate as soon as they could.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Sounds like some of yall need the Are you sure??? prompt every time you take a game action.

i'm too dumb for this game

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Hooplah posted:

We all are. Playing a perfect game of magic is very, very hard. Be kind when evaluating your own play :)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hooplah posted:

Hey this game is really hard, the best players are making mistakes all the time. Just make sure you learn from what you're doing and try to not make the same mistake twice and you'll run out of mistakes to make (until the next set comes out and you gotta learn all the cards again).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Gonna say that the red "womp womp" a card does when it blocks an opponent's ability is the most satisfying animation in the game

I do miss Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider as my single largest provider of womp-womps.

Especially recently, when people think they can The Wandering Emperor every single threat. I know what your open four mana means.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Titans... assemble

Edit: it takes a bit of setup but turn 4/5 getting to scry 4 draw 1 feels great when you line it up

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 29, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

Okay, so this is the worst pile I ever drafted, but this format keeps surprising me with people just playing the soupest of decks and inexplicably winning. So maybe there's something to it!

https://www.17lands.com/draft/a8f9cd3ec9a14e65a0ff2a84e06d85d6

Okay, so feel free to laugh at that first pick. In a vacuum, I would of course take Mr. Orzhov, or the Arrest. However, I just came off a WB deck that underperformed, I've seen a few underperform on stream as well, I think the archetype just doesn't work for me, or as well as others. So I raredrafted! Sue me!

I could have still pivoted because that lane turned out to be cursedly, ridiculously open. But I stuck to a domain soup around a UR core with no good UR cards. It's horrific! But maybe you can see a better build for the deck through a sea of tears of laughter and/or shame.

https://sealeddeck.tech/17lands/deck/a8f9cd3ec9a14e65a0ff2a84e06d85d6/0
Somehow this went 5-3 lmao

Notable play: Ghitu Amplifier + Shore Up + Twinferno

Also notable: I did lose a game to the two Chaplain extravaganza, but if they had NOT blocked my seeming "throw the game" attack, I could have done: Shore Up, copy on Ivy, Twinferno, copy on Ivy, ANOTHER Twinferno, and deal exactly 20 damage (Frostfist, Ivy, Vineshaper) in one turn.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

With the new bro spoilers that are coming out, I wonder how the client will handle meld. I really hope the game object is bigger in size and not just the same square (or pw rectangle) as everything else.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This should be the animation

https://twitter.com/4dogs1suit/status/1575249505846497298

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Went 7-1 in sealed with this. Build help thanks to the Wrestlehut discord.

Deck ran smooth as hell. Only loss was from a dude running a couple Negates and have a handful of big chunky creatures that kept on coming. Otherwise, I always had the upper hand.

I wish Sealed stayed for the whole time. Not sure why it's not all the time.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

Went 7-1 in sealed with this. Build help thanks to the Wrestlehut discord.

Deck ran smooth as hell. Only loss was from a dude running a couple Negates and have a handful of big chunky creatures that kept on coming. Otherwise, I always had the upper hand.

I wish Sealed stayed for the whole time. Not sure why it's not all the time.

I've heard that wrestlehut has the most attractive and intelligent magic players.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Jim drafts like absolute dogshit for this set, do not take him as a role model under any circumstances.

In retrospect it was perhaps a mistake to trust this man's advice

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did you he even get to mythic for Baldurs Gate? He was drafting some stinkers there too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Did you he even get to mythic for Baldurs Gate? He was drafting some stinkers there too.

He did not, because he had some internet problems near the tail end of the set and i guess he just didn't feel like grinding it out lol

--

Event #33

https://www.17lands.com/draft/249354203994424781c359b3f8726714

Getting passed a Sphinx of Clear Skies P3P3(!) ties the deck together I guess. Once again it didn't feel like I was in a good spot to pick up relevant lands, I wonder if I should have picked up one of those BW lands just for Domain lol. My removal isn't real unless I have black so I need to make it work somehow. Do I play some more basic swamps and put in vinewalls to make hitting them possible? Do I rely on the Pixies to fix my mana for kickers? The red kickers are not as essential so I don't think I'm gonna put in any mountains. Do I just lean into the UG cards I do have? Hydromancer looks cool but it has some of the most atrocious WR stats I've seen lol

Edit: thinking -2 Drake, -1 Colossal Growth, +2 Vinewall +1 Swamp. Leaning into a long game where Tatyova takes over might make 18 lands and vinewalls good here? Fewer drakes are probably fine with Magnigoth to stop enemy fliers. Most of my good stuff has evasion, trample, or is big so the growth seems less important than Shore up protecting the Tatyova and Sphinx from removal

Edit 2: 0-2 so far having gotten overrun by boros charge and orzhov shitters, need to pull the emergency brake here before this turns to the second time i've completely poo poo myself with a sphinx of clear skies (which i haven't seen yet this run lol)

I'm gonna consider this a byproduct of everyone grinding for end-of-month poo poo, i just heard sam black talk about it lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 30, 2022

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He did not, because he had some internet problems near the tail end of the set and i guess he just didn't feel like grinding it out lol

--

Event #33

https://www.17lands.com/draft/249354203994424781c359b3f8726714

Getting passed a Sphinx of Clear Skies P3P3(!) ties the deck together I guess. Once again it didn't feel like I was in a good spot to pick up relevant lands, I wonder if I should have picked up one of those BW lands just for Domain lol. My removal isn't real unless I have black so I need to make it work somehow. Do I play some more basic swamps and put in vinewalls to make hitting them possible? Do I rely on the Pixies to fix my mana for kickers? The red kickers are not as essential so I don't think I'm gonna put in any mountains. Do I just lean into the UG cards I do have? Hydromancer looks cool but it has some of the most atrocious WR stats I've seen lol

Edit: thinking -2 Drake, -1 Colossal Growth, +2 Vinewall +1 Swamp. Leaning into a long game where Tatyova takes over might make 18 lands and vinewalls good here? Fewer drakes are probably fine with Magnigoth to stop enemy fliers. Most of my good stuff has evasion, trample, or is big so the growth seems less important than Shore up protecting the Tatyova and Sphinx from removal

Edit 2: 0-2 so far having gotten overrun by boros charge and orzhov shitters, need to pull the emergency brake here before this turns to the second time i've completely poo poo myself with a sphinx of clear skies (which i haven't seen yet this run lol)

I'm gonna consider this a byproduct of everyone grinding for end-of-month poo poo, i just heard sam black talk about it lol

Your deck isn't consistently doing something proactive before turn 3. You are just asking for an aggro deck to run you over. Your 3 drops don't block particularly well either. like Bog badger would be great just to have a 3 power body to trade with. Even if you run into another durdle Domain deck, are things you are doing going to be better than a 4C or 5C domain deck? I think you need to drop the pixies, put in 2 walls that will fix your mana permanently by getting a land card out of your deck and can be a speed bump whereas the pixies can't even be speed bumps early because you might need to around to fix your mana. The walls also grab lands even in late game to give Taty more 3/3 fliers. I would even think about putting in Figment just to block and trade with X/2s.

edit: dunno if it is me but this 17 lands link isn't loading the drafts.

edit2: In general a UGx deck would be playing stuff like essence scatter and ramp to get you to your big guys sooner. I can't see the draft but the wind drakes don't really fit into this plan. That kind of card fits more with a U/W or U/R aggro/tempo deck that you seem to almost have had with the battle captain and the Ghitu as well as fires of victory and figment. Think about it like this, how often are you going to be able to play a Mossbeard on T7 to gain 5 life and stabilize the board when you really only have 2 impulses and an Interference to cantrip and find lands for you? The only decent blocker you have is the 4/4 Reach guy to tide you over till Mossbeard hits the board. Or did you really plan on using Taty to block? The pump spells also don't fit at all. They are used to push through the final points of damage.

If your land base was better, you could have played all your U/R cards splashing green for green pump spells and went for a super evasive flyers deck with Battlemage captain and using green pump to finish the guy/activate the captain some more.

This deck looks like the definition of a bunch of good cards that don't work well together.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 30, 2022

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Hammer Bro. posted:

I do miss Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider as my single largest provider of womp-womps.

Especially recently, when people think they can The Wandering Emperor every single threat. I know what your open four mana means.

vorinclex and emperor (all planeswalkers really but especially emperor) was probably my favourite interaction in standard before it rotated

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

the signs were there but we didn't listen

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

the first Brothers' War spoilers are out (not sure if anyone here cares about spoilers?) but why did they put James Cameron in some card art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Look at this draft, the worst draft I've ever done. Somehow I went 6-3. Tried to do UG domain, didn't get any cards for it, then saw Archangel of Wrath at P2P1 and figured I could pivot to white. Didn't see any white cards, played GR Domain splashing the 2WWBR spell and somehow made it work. Baird won me two games by producing a 1/1 token every turn during some horrific board stalls. Three Meria's Outrider (three of my first four picks) were good; each one is harder and harder for the opponent to deal with. I know I could have drafted this much better but I'm glad I managed to get a winning record with it.